Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,745 members, 7,820,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity (13000 Views)

Isi-Ọdum is not Isi-Agu / Anioma Wake Up.... Unlearn The Rubbish They Told U And Accept Your Igbo Identity / Lady Makes Shorts With "Isi Agu": "This Is A Total Disrespect To Our Culture" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Darkseid(m): 1:52pm On Mar 27, 2018
Double post so I'm selling this space. Contact my agent for pricing.
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by konfused: 1:55pm On Mar 27, 2018
@op Nwanne dalu
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by MrGerald(m): 1:59pm On Mar 27, 2018
aleeyus:
you mean?
You should be ashamed yourself you ugly looking specie..

1 Like

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by PVision2020(m): 1:59pm On Mar 27, 2018
I wonder how a clothing material manufactured in far away Asia in the late 1970's for furniture upholstery became the traditional cloth of an African tribe. It makes me wonder what this people were putting on before civilization...leaves I suppose.... haha haha very shallow tribe.

1 Like

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by olowobaba10: 2:17pm On Mar 27, 2018
JUST SHUT UP YOUR MOUTH IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY, WHO TOLD YOU THAT LION IS ODUM OR THAT LEOPARD IS AGU, IS THAT HOW YOUR DUMB BRAIN WORKS?
soloxxng:
Is isi-agụ the right name for this cloth material that is associated with the Igbos?

Yes, isi-agụ is its correct name but what is on the cloth is isi ọdụm (lion's head), not isi agụ (leopard's head)

Does that nullify the name? No.

Is it the first time a wrong name has been given to something in Igbo, English, Latin, etc? No.

The people who named this cloth mistakenly called it isi-agụ. But that wrong name has become its name. It can't be changed soon. It does not even matter anymore.

It is that mistake that contributed to the confusion many Igbos who are under 50 have over which animal is agụ and which one is ọdụm.

Ọdụm is lion.

Agụ is leopard.

That is why we say: Ọdụm na-egbu agụ (the lion that kills the leopard). That is why God is called Ọdụm nke ebo Juda (the Lion of the tribe of Juda).

Tiger never existed in Africa and was never seen or known by our forefathers. So they had no name for it. But in modern times, some people also call the tiger agụ. However, I have suggested that it be called agụ-ukwu (the big leopard), because it is the biggest of the big cats, while cheetah should be called agụ-ọsọ (the speed leopard), because it is the fastest land animal.

So should isi-agụ be changed to isi- ọdụm? It is not necessary. Languages don't develop like that.

Similar mistakes had been made in Igbo before. Some months ago, I asked people on Facebook what is the Igbo name for library, since school is already called ụlọ akwụkwọ (book house), and what is the Igbo name for pharmacy, since hospital is already called ụlọ ọgwụ (drug house). It caused a lot of confusion and introspection.

School has been "erroneously" named ụlọ akwụkwọ. It can't be changed anymore. Library will have to get a different name. Same goes for pharmacy.

In English, similar mistakes have been made countless times. When the world erroneously thought the earth was flat, they coined the words "sunrise" and "sunset", believing that the sun rose from the east and set in the west. Centuries ago it was discovered and certified that the sun never rises and never sets. Rather the earth rotates round the sun. Centuries after, the words sunset and sunrise have not been abolished in English. We use it everyday even though we know sunset and sunrise are scientifically wrong and non-existent.

Similarly, the months September means 7th month (ie septuagenarian); October means 8th month (ie octagon, octogenarian); November means 9th month (ie nonagon, nonagenarian); December means 10th month (ie decimal, decade, decimetre). But in reality they are 9th, 10, 11th, 12th month respectively in the Gregorian calendar we use today. This is because the old calender did not capture 2 months. The current calendar captured them, gave them names and adjusted the months by 2 months, causing the mix-up we have today. But nobody bothers to change the names of the months to reflect their true meanings.

Again when Christopher Columbus set out for India through a different route, he landed in North America. Thinking it was another part of India, he called the indigenous people he saw there Red Indians. West Indies also got its name via that mistake. These names have stuck till today even though North America has no connection with India.

So isi-agụ was mistakenly named by those who didn't know the difference between agụ (leopard) and ọdụm (lion). But that name has stuck. It can't be changed now. Isi-agụ is its name.

Interestingly, some isi-agụ materials bear no animal pictures (as can be seen in some of the attached pictures), but are still called isi-agụ. Some even have the pictures of other animals but are still called isi-agụ. So it is no longer the picture drawn on this material that makes people call it isi-agụ. It is the material and what it represents. It is the cloth material that points to the Igbos as a people. The Igbos have adopted it as the cloth that gives them their identity. So isi-agụ is it!

If you don't have your isi-agụ, nwanne, ndo.

© Agunze Azuka
https://m./942897792539847?view=permalink&id=987334154762877
Cc: Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by CarlosTheJackal: 2:25pm On Mar 27, 2018
CSTR1002:
Damn.

I like that isi agu that was crafted like a coat in the first picture.

I will show it to my tailor
contact me let's do the biz. i can design such for you
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by onyinyenwadigbo(f): 2:44pm On Mar 27, 2018
Library is Oba akwukwo in igbo take note. That you don't know doesn't mean it doesn't exist

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by colossus91(m): 2:48pm On Mar 27, 2018
first to comment....e no easy shoutout to them dudes grinding hard,God bless yur hustle
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Unik3030: 2:59pm On Mar 27, 2018
aleeyus:
you mean?
guy your savagery is epic. which one b osu alusi
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by LZAA: 3:20pm On Mar 27, 2018
aleeyus:
you mean?
grin grin grin no he means....

1 Like

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by LZAA: 3:21pm On Mar 27, 2018
PVision2020:
I wonder how a clothing material manufactured in far away Asia in the late 1970's for furniture upholstery became the traditional cloth of an African tribe. It makes me wonder what this people were putting on before civilization...leaves I suppose.... haha haha very shallow tribe.
i wonder how women from dahomey and fulanis can chase original inhabitants from afonjaland and make them....

4 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Tex42(m): 3:22pm On Mar 27, 2018
judecares1:
i blame d mod who moved this nonsense to fp
but the "nonsense" wasn't meant for u alone na! what about others that are interested, don't u think theyvreserve the right to see this "nonsense" ?

2 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by LZAA: 3:28pm On Mar 27, 2018
soloxxng:
Is isi-agụ the right name for this cloth material that is associated with the Igbos?

Yes, isi-agụ is its correct name but what is on the cloth is isi ọdụm (lion's head), not isi agụ (leopard's head)

Is it the first time a wrong name has been given to something in Igbo, English, Latin, etc? No.

The people who named this cloth mistakenly called it isi-agụ. But that wrong name has become its name. It can't be changed soon. It does not even matter anymore.

It is that mistake that contributed to the confusion many Igbos who are under 50 have over which animal is agụ and which one is ọdụm.

Ọdụm is lion.

Agụ is leopard.

That is why we say: Ọdụm na-egbu agụ (the lion that kills the leopard). That is why God is called Ọdụm nke ebo Juda (the Lion of the tribe of Juda).

Tiger never existed in Africa and was never seen or known by our forefathers. So they had no name for it. But in modern times, some people also call the tiger agụ. However, I have suggested that it be called agụ-ukwu (the big leopard), because it is the biggest of the big cats, while cheetah should be called agụ-ọsọ (the speed leopard), because it is the fastest land animal.

So should isi-agụ be changed to isi- ọdụm? It is not necessary. Languages don't develop like that.

Similar mistakes had been made in Igbo before. Some months ago, I asked people on Facebook what is the Igbo name for library, since school is already called ụlọ akwụkwọ (book house), and what is the Igbo name for pharmacy, since hospital is already called ụlọ ọgwụ (drug house). It caused a lot of confusion and introspection.

School has been "erroneously" named ụlọ akwụkwọ. It can't be changed anymore. Library will have to get a different name. Same goes for pharmacy.

In English, similar mistakes have been made countless times. When the world erroneously thought the earth was flat, they coined the words "sunrise" and "sunset", believing that the sun rose from the east and set in the west. Centuries ago it was discovered and certified that the sun never rises and never sets. Rather the earth rotates round the sun. Centuries after, the words sunset and sunrise have not been abolished in English. We use it everyday even though we know sunset and sunrise are scientifically wrong and non-existent.

Similarly, the months September means 7th month (ie septuagenarian); October means 8th month (ie octagon, octogenarian); November means 9th month (ie nonagon, nonagenarian); December means 10th month (ie decimal, decade, decimetre). But in reality they are 9th, 10, 11th, 12th month respectively in the Gregorian calendar we use today. This is because the old calender did not capture 2 months. The current calendar captured them, gave them names and adjusted the months by 2 months, causing the mix-up we have today. But nobody bothers to change the names of the months to reflect their true meanings.

Again when Christopher Columbus set out for India through a different route, he landed in North America. Thinking it was another part of India, he called the indigenous people he saw there Red Indians. West Indies also got its name via that mistake. These names have stuck till today even though North America has no connection with India.

So isi-agụ was mistakenly named by those who didn't know the difference between agụ (leopard) and ọdụm (lion). But that name has stuck. It can't be changed now. Isi-agụ is its name.

Interestingly, some isi-agụ materials bear no animal pictures (as can be seen in some of the attached pictures), but are still called isi-agụ. Some even have the pictures of other animals but are still called isi-agụ. So it is no longer the picture drawn on this material that makes people call it isi-agụ. It is the material and what it represents. It is the cloth material that points to the Igbos as a people. The Igbos have adopted it as the cloth that gives them their identity. So isi-agụ is it!

© Agunze Azuka
it's obvious afonjas like aleeyus and michael004 cannot help but hate anything igbo grin grin
here is the true afonja identity kikikikikikiki grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by prispakle15(m): 3:39pm On Mar 27, 2018
sad
DaddyKross:
If Agu is Leopard, what's tiger then ?
u no read the story sad
DaddyKross:
If Agu is Leopard, what's tiger then ?
u no read the story

1 Like

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by wildkat: 3:47pm On Mar 27, 2018
aleeyus:
you mean?

Retãrded morrafucker

1 Like

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Nyceguy92: 3:58pm On Mar 27, 2018
Your thread was original and well thought out. For once, somebody has served us something other than "slay queen," "bikini body," etc.

First off, the Igbo name for "Library" is "Oba Akwukwo", just as you have "Oba Ji" for yam barn.

Honestly, I too find it difficult to distinguish between the lion and the leopard as they look very much alike.

On the Isi Agu bearing different designs that are not the Agu animal, I think the texture of the material and sewing style have become more symbolic than merely the lion print alone.

Obviously this stems from the need to run away from monotony and infuse variety in design while still maintaining the texture. I am yet to see any design that is not elegant.

1 Like

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by PVision2020(m): 4:33pm On Mar 27, 2018
LZAA:

i wonder how women from dahomey and fulanis can chase original inhabitants from afonjaland and make them....
lol shallow and petty as usual
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by LZAA: 5:32pm On Mar 27, 2018
PVision2020:

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by LZAA: 5:32pm On Mar 27, 2018
PVision2020:

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Afonjas: 6:11pm On Mar 27, 2018
soloxxng:

Ọdụm is lion.

Agụ is leopard.

© Agunze Azuka

Bro. Isi-agu is the real name, there was no mistake, our rich forefathers use the agu skin to make clothe and not the odum's skin, that's why modern Igbos stick to the isi-agu as their identity.
Just like Ibe Kachukwu and Obiano wore it.
Thanks, you tried.

There was a title for great people then like Ogbuagu.

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Ejjis(m): 7:16pm On Mar 27, 2018
Nonsense post... Odum is lion And Agu is Tiger...Stop confusing people please...
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by archangel1(m): 10:54pm On Mar 27, 2018
soloxxng:

Ọdụm is lion.

Agụ is leopard.

© Agunze Azuka
Cc: Lalasticlala[[quote author=Afonjas post=66207991]

Bro. Isi-agu is the real name, there was no mistake, our rich forefathers use the agu skin to make clothe and not the odum's skin, that's why modern Igbos stick to the isi-agu as their identity.
Thanks, you tried.

/quote]

Library is 'oba akwukwo'
Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Igboid: 12:49am On Mar 28, 2018
Ejjis:
Nonsense post... Odum is lion And Agu is Tiger...Stop confusing people please...

Tiger isn't indigenous to Africa.
Ancient Igbos had no contact with Tiger, and couldn't have had a name for an animal they never knew existed or saw.

Agu is leopard, Lion is Odum.

3 Likes

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by bibe(m): 12:49am On Mar 28, 2018
Afonjas:

Thanks, you tried.

But the face in the isi agu is that of a lion. OP is right, cos I remember that line "odum na egbu agu" vividly.

What you see obiano and kachikwu wearing are leopard skins (agu) while the face on the isi agu prints is that of lion (odum)

1 Like

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by Afonjas: 1:37pm On Mar 28, 2018
bibe:

But the face in the isi agu is that of a lion. OP is right, cos I remember that line "odum na egbu agu" vividly.

What you see obiano and kachikwu wearing are leopard skins (agu) while the face on the isi agu prints is that of lion (odum)

What are you saying, Agu is Leopard and I never doubt it, the clothes should be of Leopold skin,
The op claimed that the people who introduced it made a mistake naming it isi-agu instead of isi-odum.
And I said the isi-agu is right because that's what our forefathers wore.

1 Like

Re: Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity by bibe(m): 8:01pm On Mar 28, 2018
Afonjas:

What are you saying, Agu is Leopard and I never doubt it, the clothes should be of Leopold skin,
The op claimed that the people who introduced it made a mistake naming it isi-agu instead of isi-odum.
And I said the isi-agu is right because that's what our forefathers wore.

Can see it from your perspective now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Our Language Is Going Dead- A Case Study Of The Ogu (egun) Language Of Badagry / Igbo And Yoruba Rivalry / Worldwide Igbo Population Around 70 Million -world Census

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.