Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Girls Vs Boys: African Culture (1) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Girls Vs Boys: African Culture (1) (645 Views)

Culture In Achebe’s Things Fall Apart / Mahjong, Holography And Chinese Culture / Chimamanda Adichie Employs Nigerian Culture For Her Novels’ Cover (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Girls Vs Boys: African Culture (1) by Penshalom(f): 7:46am On Mar 27, 2018
I stared at the mirror in my room taking deep breaths and checking my uniform again, I took extra care in washing and ironing it. I let out a shaky breath as I packed my braided hair up and made it into a donut. I stared at my self again, my black skin shining but I spotted a pimple on my head, I decided to leave it knowing that if I try to pop it it's going to swell up and I don't want that, today has to be perfect.
Today is the day I decided I will confess my feelings to him, for two years I had a crush on him and now I think I'm in love with him and keeping it in me is suffocating so I've decided to just let it out. I debated on this many times because being an African and my parents are excessively cultured people, I've been taught and told it's wrong, according to them "It makes you look cheap" and playing hard to get to a guy makes you more valued but the world is now civilised, so I decided to just go for it and I'm going to ask him out too, hopefully he'll say yes and I'll get a kiss too.
I giggled at that thought.
Twenty minutes later, I'm walking in my school's hallway, I didn't mind the noise, my mind just focused on where I'm going, his locker. As I got closer, I saw him standing in all his glory as he chatted with one of his friends, he let out a laugh that made my heart skip a beat. As I moved closer still, the heavens answered my prayers, his friend left.
"Kwasi" I called out his name to get his attention.
He looked up and grinned.
"Akosua.. How are you?"
One of the reasons why we will be perfect together, we were both born on Sunday, hence, the names.
I looked at him as I stood in front of him from his perfectly cut curly natural hair, his perfect ebony skin, to his shinning white teeth, he has a perfect height, not too tall, not too short, I just can't get enough of him.
I snapped out of my thoughts and looked away from him so I'll not seem like a creep.
"Akosua, you got to school early today, truly, the end is near" He said with his deep voice that always resounds in my heart, and echo in my ears.
"I had something to do" I said focusing on the reason I'm here, trying not to be distracted when he winked at me.
"What is it?" He asked curiously when he noticed my serious look.
I took deep breaths and pushed all doubts to the back of my mind.
"Kwasi. I like you Kwasi, I've always liked you, and I'd love you to be my boyfriend" I rushed the words out but I know he heard them.
He stood there, opening and closing his mouth.
"Kwasi" I called his name again, pleadingly this time.
"Please say something" I said again.
"Are.. Are you serious?" He stuttered.
"Yes I am Kwasi. I really like you" I said, boldly and loudly this time.
"Wow, Akosua.. I....."

Question: Is it right for a girl to ask a guy out? State your reasons why it's right or wrong.
Fun fact: The dominant answer will determine the end of the story.
Drop your comments and like this story, thanks
Penshalom

1 Like

Re: Girls Vs Boys: African Culture (1) by Ayanfe95: 6:52pm On Mar 27, 2018
I don't see anything bad in it, culture is not static it's dynamic, so what's wrong today may be
right tomorrow, who knows she may be the guy's crush but he might be shy to make his feelings known

1 Like

Re: Girls Vs Boys: African Culture (1) by Penshalom(f): 7:19pm On Mar 27, 2018
Hmm
Thanks
Re: Girls Vs Boys: African Culture (1) by 1JShine: 7:54pm On Mar 27, 2018
Just great and much much much more than creative writing... keep it up mama Christian Rosette...
Re: Girls Vs Boys: African Culture (1) by Penshalom(f): 11:51am On Apr 17, 2018
"Wow, Akosua.. I....."
He could not finish talking before the stupid time keeper rang the stupid bell. I groaned and then smiled at him and he did too, no, he tried to but he failed, miserably.
"We'll talk during break time" I said and walked into the classroom, dropped my bag, before I rushed to the assembly ground.
It's not a surprise that I heard nothing in school today, I kept glancing at the wall clock counting the minutes until break time.
"I want you all to submit your home work to your class captain." Our mathematics teacher said before leaving the class as the break bell rang. The class got disorganised at that point, some submitted, some were copying from others and those that submitted ran outside for break. I scanned the class but I discovered Kwasi had left, I frowned at that, I didn't see him leaving. I checked the books and saw he had submitted, I didn't even know when he did that.
I became really impatient, I stood up, packed all the assignments that were submitted not bothering to wait for those that were still doing theirs unlike before. I walked hastily to the teacher's office and dumped the books on his table before running off.
I searched and searched for Kwasi but I didn't see him. And that was what I did with my break time till it was over. I walked dejectedly to the classroom and saw him sitting on his seat. I was about walking towards him when the next teacher came in, I groaned internally and reluctantly walked back to my seat. I kept stealing glances at Kwasi every now and then and there were times when our eyes met but he never held them. I was still looking at him when the teacher called my name. My heart jolted in my chest, I stood up slowly, my heart beating fast waiting for her to say something about me not concentrating in class or probably she caught me staring at Kwasi.
"I'm in trouble" I thought to myself.
"Akosua, please get me a new marker from my table in my office. This one has dried off"
I let out a breath of relief and walked briskly to her office.

Finally it was closing hour, I waited outside the classroom for him and as soon as he came out I fell into step with him. We walked in an awkward silence till we got out of school's sight before I stopped him, holding his arm.
"Kwasi, you've been avoiding me"
He didn't look at me just kept glancing around.
"Kwasi, is it because of what I said this morning? I'm not sorry I told you. Just give me an answer that's all" I said looking holding his hand and looking straight in his eyes.
His eyes looked sad and he stared at me too for a while before he hugged me.
"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" He repeated over and over again.
My heart broke at that but at least he is making an effort not to.
"I think love you too Akosua but I'm not ready for a relationship now, we are both young, I know nothing about relationships but when I'm ready and I'm sure, I'll ask you out Akosua, I promise" He said holding my hands.
I smiled and hugged him again.
"It's Okay Kwasi." I said into his shoulder.
He put his arms around me as we walked home.
"You know you really shocked me this morning"
I laughed.
"I know. You were gaping at me like a fish.." I said demonstrating the way his mouth was opening and closing.
"Me? Fish? Then you are a whale"
"Shark"
"Lizard"
"Monkey"
"Oh please, we both know I'm handsome. Admit it"
"Yeah right" I scoffed.
"You know the other time I thought the teacher told you to stand up because you were not concentrating in class"
"You did too? I thought she caught me staring at you"
"True, you can't get enough of my handsome face, you can stare at it all day long and never get your fill"
"Now you are taking it too far. But I'll humor you, so you'll not feel sad" I said mockingly. The look on his face made me laugh and he joined in too later.
Penshalom

(1) (Reply)

Winter Is Yet To Come / . / Kiki & Nene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.