Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Dowry- How Much Is Too Much/ Too Little? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dowry- How Much Is Too Much/ Too Little? (991 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / Dowry For Igbo Wife / Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dowry- How Much Is Too Much/ Too Little? by HellaBella(f): 2:40pm On May 05, 2010
Ok I would just like to get some opinions here regarding dowry.   What do some of you members think is too much or too little?

For example, does N600K sound like an absurd amount to expect? BTW, say the guy is earning a bankers salary (semi-entry level).

I'm just trying to gauge the issue. Personally I don't like the whole dowry issue. But it's part of my Igbo "culture"   undecided.

Sorry, I should also add that the guy does have some money but besides that I still think the whole dowry system should be abolished.
Re: Dowry- How Much Is Too Much/ Too Little? by kieryn(f): 2:30am On May 07, 2010
I dont think it should be abolished. It apart of culture. On the other hand it need to be regulated. It should be a token of appreciation to the girls parents for raising a well respected girl and appreciation from the man to the parents(family) for giving him their blessing to marry their daughter and allowing her to be apart of his family. But i think it has become atrocious when the bride price is negotiated on criterias such as whether the girl went to school or come from a rich background, or if she lighter skinned(bride price is a lot higher) or dark skinned, physical features etc, A bride is not bought.

(1) (Reply)

Beauty And The Beast - 2 / Ile-ife: The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief / Checkout Female Snake Charmers Perform At Emir Of Kano Daughters Wedding [PICS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.