Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,923 members, 7,835,086 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Scopes Of Practice And Duties Of Dental Therapist In Relation To Dentist - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Scopes Of Practice And Duties Of Dental Therapist In Relation To Dentist (3947 Views)

Cost Of Dental Braces / Scope Of Practice Of Dental Nurses By The Registration Board / Speech Therapist In Owerri Needed For My Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scopes Of Practice And Duties Of Dental Therapist In Relation To Dentist by bloomstar: 4:37pm On Mar 31, 2018
Dental therapy profession have been stanpid, matched and ignored, its professionals most times are embarrassed by the dentist, saying that dental therapists/hygienists are no doctor and have range of a restricted practicing scope. I want to clearly state the functions f dental therapists in relation to that of the dentist as stated by the dental council.

Dental therapy practice is a subset of the practice of dentistry, and is commensurate with a dental therapist’s approved education, training and competence.

Dental therapists provide oral health assessment, treatment, management and prevention services for children and adolescents up to age 18. Disease prevention and oral health promotion and maintenance are core activities.

Dental therapists and dentists have a consultative working relationship, which is documented in an agreement between the parties.

Detailed scope of practice for dental therapy practice

The Dental Council defines the practice of dentistry as the maintenance of health through the assessment, diagnosis, management, treatment and prevention of any disease, disorder or condition of the orofacial complex and associated structures.

In collaboration with dentists and other health care professionals, and in partnership with individuals, whãnau and communities, dental therapists provide oral health assessment, treatment, management and prevention services for children and adolescents up to age 18. Disease prevention and oral health promotion and maintenance are core activities.

Dental therapy practice involves:

-obtaining medical histories and consulting with other health practitioners as appropriate
-examination of oral tissues, diagnosis of dental caries and recognition of abnormalities
-preparation of an oral care plan
-informed consent procedures
-administration of local anaesthetic using dentoalveolar infiltration, inferior dental nerve block and topical local anaesthetic techniques
-preparation of cavities and restoration of primary and permanent teeth using direct placement of appropriate dental materials
-extraction of primary teeth
-pulp capping in primary and permanent teeth
-preventive dentistry including cleaning, polishing and scaling (to remove deposits in association with gingivitis), fissure sealants, and fluoride applications
-oral health education and promotion
-taking of impressions for, constructing and fitting mouthguards
-referral as necessary to the appropriate practitioner/agency
-performing pulpotomies on primary teeth.
-taking and interpreting periapical and bitewing radiographs
-preparing teeth for, and placing stainless steel crowns on primary teeth.
-Dental therapy practice includes teaching, research and management given that such roles influence clinical practice and public safety.

Dental therapists are important members of the dental team. They carry out courses of treatments recommended by the dentist who has examined the patient.

The Dental Therapist
In addition to the duties of a dental hygienist, a qualified dental therapist who has completed the appropriate training can also perform:

-routine restorations in both deciduous and permanent teeth on adults and children
-pulp therapy treatment of deciduous teeth
-placement of pre-formed crowns on deciduous teeth
-extractions of deciduous teeth
-treatments using all materials except pre-cast or pinned placement

Now for dentists, who are also called the B.D.S (bachelor of dental surgery) can of cause perform the whole stated functions and more, including major orofacial surgeries, depending on the specializations.
so there is no point having a discrepancy of any kind in the field, you are all one team

source: https://marabaonline.com/2020/02/04/duties-and-working-scope-of-a-dental-therapist-in-relation-to-a-dentist/

cc: lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Scopes Of Practice And Duties Of Dental Therapist In Relation To Dentist by Ekitiparapo(m): 4:56pm On Mar 31, 2018
anything worth doing should be done well, why would you waste your time going to school of health technology to study dental technican or pharmacy technician. you can't be at par with the professionals( dentist, pharmacy). who are well knowledgeable. if you are interested in dentistry , apply to universities offering the course and stop looking for short cut if you want be treated as a professional

1 Like

Re: Scopes Of Practice And Duties Of Dental Therapist In Relation To Dentist by Henofem63: 11:23am On Feb 02, 2022
That is how far you know, and think, counter the Dental therapist duties listed, with references.
Dental therapists are not Doctors but are the vanguard of Primary oral health care provider.They are front-liners who involved in a wide range of dental treatments to patients in other to bring dental health to all. Their functions follow International best practices.

1 Like

Re: Scopes Of Practice And Duties Of Dental Therapist In Relation To Dentist by Xenisha: 12:14am On Dec 25, 2022
Hi. To put a denture, a friend advised me to contact the Aspen Dental dental clinic, whose services she has been using for several years. And I want to say that I did not regret that I visited them because I received qualified assistance in a comfortable and cozy office. After reading the reviews here https://aspen-dental.pissedconsumer.com/review.html you can find out that in addition to prosthetics, they also provide dental treatment and filling services.

(1) (Reply)

Help Premature Ejaculation Has Taken Over My Sex Life / COVID-19 Update For September 23 2021 In Nigeria / Wish I Could Be Slim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.