Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,240 members, 7,815,327 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? (22751 Views)

Princess Owowoh Graduates In UK As First Female Officer Cadet From Nigeria / Is Saudi Aramco The Highest Paying Multinational Oil Firm In The World? / Is Exxon Mobil The Highest Paying Multinational Oil Firm In Nigeria For 2018? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by pawesome(m): 8:07am On Apr 03, 2018
zoom24:
I am new in this forum and I must confess, the response here is discouraging. over 70 views and yet only 4 comments!!
you want comments abi....

Keep calm

Na you go soon stat de insult pple cz f comments

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by anyimontana(m): 8:14am On Apr 03, 2018
zoom24:
I am new in this forum and I must confess, the response here is discouraging. over 70 views and yet only 4 comments!!
welcome,den deal with it bro..u never see 3000views with 1 comment
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by ranksz: 8:26am On Apr 03, 2018
You guys are funny. There are school cert holders in multinational oil firm platforms.
You may not be on their payroll but you work in the same facility and earn good money.
It depends on your job designation. You can be a painter, and experienced electrician, scaffolder, rigger etc.

1 Like

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by GiantParrot(m): 8:28am On Apr 03, 2018
Some multinational oil companies accept 2:2s with masters at entry level. This is becoming less common. It is not necessarily because 2:1 and first class graduates are automatically assumed to be better for the work environment. Rather it's more about the cost of recruitment.

In every recruitment exercise, the firm incurs a cost on every invited applicant. Allowing every job-seeking university graduate to apply would be too costly. So they have to set limits on applicant numbers in order to stay within the recruitment budget. Recruitment departments have decided to apply filters based on grade of graduation, which in this case, is 2:1
and above . This is probably the least contentious way to impose limits on numbers because it appeals to most people's innate sense of merit. Although one can question the merit of many first class and 2:1 grads these days, it's difficult to come up with a more agreeable alternative that will ensure the cost reduction objective is achieved.

In the 90s, there were much fewer numbers of grads with 2:2 and above compared to now. So there were much more 2:2 grads recruited back then because recruitment costs were acceptable.

I can bet that the OP can earn a very good living in spite of the 2:2 degree if he/she can sustain the right focus and work ethic. The vast majority of well to do people in the developed world work outside oil and gas. Maybe most of us can learn a thing or two from them.

6 Likes

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by millhouse: 8:29am On Apr 03, 2018
ruggedtimi:
I have a friend that dropped out from school and he is working in a multinational oil company. Just that he is been paid lesser than the degree holders. Definitely 2:2, 3rd and pass degree holders can get a job at multinational oil companies is all about God's grace and big connection( especially host community slot).
But is f*ckng difficult to get a job at mobil and total without a good degree.
lool ..my during my uni days , my friends sis was top level in Hr dept Chevron ...she graduated with a 3rd class.

1 Like

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by lantres000(m): 8:34am On Apr 03, 2018
When u have experience, i mean better experience even a third class can fly.

1 Like

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 8:46am On Apr 03, 2018
I know a 3rd class graduate now working in an MNOC off-shore oil rig.

1 Like

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by SpaceAngel: 8:58am On Apr 03, 2018
There are 2.2 and even third class in multinational companies, infact all manner of certificates are accepted. It all depends on what the HR wants at that moment.

2 Likes

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by Nobody: 9:14am On Apr 03, 2018
originally:
THIRD CLASS AND NON DEGREE GRADUATES MANY SELF.
i know some1 dat enter with ssce in my village.
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by Nobody: 9:17am On Apr 03, 2018
all things are possible esp here. I know someone who got into Mobil with a 2:2 but got retrenched as soon as his 'conne' retired.

1 Like

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 03, 2018
themosthigh:
I Graduated with a third class Engineering degree from Ekpoma. I was a hardcore cultist that was rusticated twice. I was reinstated the first time after I claimed to renounce cr cultism. The second time, I threatened to shoot the Hod and he reinstated me out of fear. My file for school full. I committed every crime in the book.
I left nigeria and became a mercenary in Congo for a while before moving to SA,then Canada.
Now I am a lead automation engineer in an oil company in the North Sea. I left nigeria and all my sins where forgotten. I have won numerous awards and accolades here and sometimes I dream my crimes will catch up with me.
I was a product of a bad country with bad leaders and generally bad atmosphere. I have never being to Nigeria in 21 years and I don’t ever hope to touch home. My parents disowned me and they are dead, brother seized all property and didn’t give me a dime. Now his kids call me all the time. I that was the bad uncle everybody avoided.
still a proverbial bad boy, but i am getting to build my career, people do not beleive that i chose the corporate world , i draw inspiration from your story, and hope to become better in my field and prove people wrong.

keep soaring bro...

2 Likes

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by JARUSHUB: 9:56am On Apr 03, 2018

1 Like

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by livinbygrace: 10:02am On Apr 03, 2018
Now i know we have so many indomie generation children on this blog,for asking such ridiculous question.In a situation where a 3rd class Yoruba graduate was employed in International Oil firm like chevron,shell and you are here asking stupid question.Nigeria is all about who you know and not what you know.Piss out!!
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 03, 2018
Yes..its nt always by your result..bt by your connection as well.
pple who get d job by merit are less than 10% in nigeria in particular.
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by TrendyP(m): 10:32am On Apr 03, 2018
SternProphet:
There are third class graduates in major oil companies. They actually do better than first class. Anybody who is depending on his academic qualification in his career is a fool and will end up a failure. Leadership skills, technological skills, team skills, creative problem solving skills are what employers are looking for, not some evidence that you passed your exams well in school, although admittedly that is good indicator of discipline and conscientiousness as well.

They do better than the First Class? Seriously? They were that good and they couldn't make at least 2.2
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by Tweak2k: 11:29am On Apr 03, 2018
Mrokaykay:

I presently work for a Multinational company and I graduated with a 2.2
embarassed tell me how. Course you read in school is what you working with now?

You did professional courses?
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by Tweak2k: 11:36am On Apr 03, 2018
themosthigh:
I Graduated with a third class Engineering degree from Ekpoma. I was a hardcore cultist that was rusticated twice. I was reinstated the first time after I claimed to renounce cr cultism. The second time, I threatened to shoot the Hod and he reinstated me out of fear. My file for school full. I committed every crime in the book.
I left nigeria and became a mercenary in Congo for a while before moving to SA,then Canada.
Now I am a lead automation engineer in an oil company in the North Sea. I left nigeria and all my sins where forgotten. I have won numerous awards and accolades here and sometimes I dream my crimes will catch up with me.
I was a product of a bad country with bad leaders and generally bad atmosphere. I have never being to Nigeria in 21 years and I don’t ever hope to touch home. My parents disowned me and they are dead, brother seized all property and didn’t give me a dime. Now his kid s call me all the time. I that was the bad uncle everybody avoided.

Jeez you probably regretting your mistake. No one give a Bleep about you. Parents probably dead of a broken heart. And your hands are soaked with blood. Today you successful. You will still be punished. What the gain joining a cult gang?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 03, 2018
Tweak2k:

embarassed tell me how. Course you read in school is what you working with now?

You did professional courses?
I studied Applied Mathematics and well grounded in Geographic Information System (GIS)..

1 Like

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by monex(m): 11:44am On Apr 03, 2018
zoom24:

2.2 enter through merit to all major multinationals as staff

for Shell and others, 2.2. needs a Masters
for Total E&P, 2.2. needs experience

for contract staff, even third class can enter
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by Izen: 11:50am On Apr 03, 2018
SternProphet:
There are third class graduates in major oil companies. They actually do better than first class. Anybody who is depending on his academic qualification in his career is a fool and will end up a failure. Leadership skills, technological skills, team skills, creative problem solving skills are what employers are looking for, not some evidence that you passed your exams well in school, although admittedly that is good indicator of discipline and conscientiousness as well.

"...they actually do better than..." words of confusion said by those who graduated with third class.
"....is a fool..." intelligent people can pass their message across without being abusive or by bringing others down.

Great observation, terrible presentation/communication

1 Like

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by candyguyofficia(m): 12:09pm On Apr 03, 2018
Mrokaykay:

I presently work for a Multinational company and I graduated with a 2.2
Baba show me the way. God bless
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by loffyloffy: 12:14pm On Apr 03, 2018
There are lots there..and they got there by Merritt..they are outperforming many of the so called first class students
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by Bimpe29: 12:42pm On Apr 03, 2018
There are plenty of them in the Multinational Companies, even the 3rd class graduates are making ends meet as well. But, they are sons and daughters of the so called big men or have connections with them.
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by kezielectricals(m): 1:14pm On Apr 03, 2018
I came out with 2:2 from esut, now I av my multi million company. #kezzyglobalventureslimited. (general electrical and eletronic contractor).

Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by vanhelsing1(m): 1:20pm On Apr 03, 2018
zoom24:
most adverts by multinational oil companies request for minimum of second class upper. I would like to know if a 2.2 graduate can join the likes of Shell, Agip, Total etc even if it means joining as a contract staff. Personal testimonies will also be much appreciated.
young man,wen u first asked DS question, I was thinking weda u r rily a Nigerian.u sound like u have spent all Ur life in Benin republic or togo.who does not know wat is going on in Nigeria wen 90% of jobs r man kW man.so does it matter wat u graduate with?
plss face d real life here in Nigeria.
thanks
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by wisdomdc: 2:50pm On Apr 03, 2018
zoom24:
most adverts by multinational oil companies request for minimum of second class upper. I would like to know if a 2.2 graduate can join the likes of Shell, Agip, Total etc even if it means joining as a contract staff. Personal testimonies will also be much appreciated.
That na question I started working in a multinational company even before I enter University, although with "IM" aka ima mmadu
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by themosthigh: 2:52pm On Apr 03, 2018
Tweak2k:

Jeez you probably regretting your mistake. No one give a Bleep about you. Parents probably dead of a broken heart. And your hands are soaked with blood. Today you successful. You will still be punished. What the gain joining a cult gang?

I could have been a better person but I was 16 when I joIned and knew nothing of the world so I console myself over my age them knowing it wasn’t my fault. Parents weren’t saints themselves. I advise every Nigerian kid in gangs or taking hard drugs to plan an exit strategy now. It is never too late to succeed in life. Success is not about money but rest of mind and feeling good about oneself.
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by elendugeek(m): 4:40pm On Apr 03, 2018
It depends on the multinational oil company you applied to as different oil companies have different recruitment criteria. However, as a general rule, 2:2 graduates can get a job with a multinational oil company if they have the requisite experience for the role they applied for. And most of the 2:2 grads that work with the multinational oil coy I work for are contract staff although the difference in pay isn't much. Indigenious oil coys employ grads with even lower than a 2:2 depending on your connections and even multinationals like Agip will not employ you if you don't have a recommendation letter from either a senator, a governor or a paramount ruler from any of the three states in which they have their operations even if you have a first class and pass all their aptitude requirements. For coys like Shell, Exxon, Chevron and Total, advertised recruitments are for those with 2:1 and above and are largely merit-based. These coys, however, run a separate recruitment for indegenes of the states in which they operate and these are the jobs that can be influenced.
zoom24:
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by emmydollars4life(m): 7:16pm On Apr 03, 2018
LOSKYXANDER:
I think so, but I don't know how they got in though
The same way Buhari take enter.
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by Chybelle: 8:28pm On Apr 03, 2018
Even those with third class work there. Its all about the connection.
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by laudate: 4:22am On Apr 04, 2018
SternProphet:

God bless you! May you live long. cheesy I said almost the same thing on another thread, and one scallywag almost jumped down my throat, alleging that without a 2:1 degree, nobody would look at your CV in a multinational firm. Yet, I know 3rd class degree holders who were headhunted by multinationals, o! shocked
Re: Are There Second Class Lower Graduates In Multinational Oil Companies? by laudate: 4:28am On Apr 04, 2018
TrendyP:
They do better than the First Class? Seriously? They were that good and they couldn't make at least 2.2

Guy, did you read his post thoroughly before rushing in to pass a comment? He talked about other things like leadership skills, team skills, creative problem solving skills etc. These skills have very little to do with whether you got a 1st class, or a 3rd class. I have seen 1st class graduates with very poor leadership skills! shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Don't Fall For The Pressure, Everyone Has A Different Timeline / You 'Yab' The Police And Still Apply Privately - Officer Uju / How Do You Determine Seniority With Staff On The Same Level And Step?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.