Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? (5948 Views)

This Is How The Next Super Eagles Team Should Be / Joseph Yobo Uncensored! I Can’t Be A Part-Time Eagles Player / Who Is The Richest Super Eagles Player? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by Iyineda(m): 11:09am On May 23, 2010
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by HNIC(m): 12:07pm On May 23, 2010
Akolawole:

Second striker on paper? shocked

He is the only second striker in history that never for once laid the last pass for his striking patner. Not 1 single pass for Yekini to score. If ther's one please remind me.
@Akola
He set up Yekini on countless occassions, but unfortunately, it didn't result into goals.
Amokachi had zeal and passion for the national team and gave his all.
I was there at the national stadium when we played Guinea en route France '98.
The Guineans played very well that day and Titi camara terrorised our defence.It was Amo14 who bailed us out that day.
He was the most determined and commited player in the team.
If we had 11 Amo14 lining up for Nigeria in every single game, we won't be where we are today.

Akolawole:

I also remember him being the chairman of the ear-ring boys in super eagles and spokesperson of Mafia.

Come on Akola,
The mafia thing has been in the Eagles, since the days of Keshi.
The press just cooked up stuff about Amokachie because he was perceived as being arrogant.
Remember he bought a private Jet and made so much noise about it.
Ear rings
Haba,Eguaveon has had ear rings on long before Amokachi and wetin dey about ear-rings?How about Kanu,Oruma,Osaze,Ordia and co with hair plaited?
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by cescjay(m): 1:08pm On May 23, 2010
okocha any day any time but kanu has achieved more
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by Akolawole(m): 12:08am On May 24, 2010
HNIC:

@Akola
1) He set up Yekini on countless occassions, but unfortunately, it didn't result into goals.
Amokachi had zeal and passion for the national team and gave his all.

2) He was the most determined and commited player in the team.

3) The mafia thing has been in the Eagles, since the days of Keshi.

4) The press just cooked up stuff about Amokachie because he was perceived as being arrogant.
Remember he bought a private Jet and made so much noise about it.

5) Haba,Eguaveon has had ear rings on long before Amokachi and wetin dey about ear-rings?How about Kanu,Oruma,Osaze,Ordia and co with hair plaited?

1) Maybe he hold the record as the only strike patner that his pass to his main striker NEVER result to a goal.

2) Where do you want to place Sam Okwaraji, Alhaji Rashidi Yekini, Mutiu Adepoju, Christian chukwu. Where?

3) No Sir! Until their regime, we always have a compact team as most of our national team players came from Sutin stars, Rangers and Bendel insurance.

4) No Cerezo was not even using ear-ring in Maroc. The Bull is the head of the foursome. I hope remember that his best days in Eagles is still when he was invited to Algiers 90 team fresh from secondary school and ranchers bees.

5) Ear-rings or Sango hairdo is just side attractions. Was it NOT your Dan that refused to train in 1995 yet was chatting in the stadium with Jim Nwobodo about their similarities in them having twins. He is too full of himself.
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by samdigo(m): 4:49am On May 24, 2010
okocha, oliseh, amunike, kanu, amokachi, yekeni, agahowa, taribo, odemwingie,
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by oyebanji(m): 9:17pm On May 24, 2010
Whie I agree that Mikel has not got to that stage of great accomplishment due to his age and time in the national team.

I simply disagree with people that have rubbished the guy. He is immensely talented and will one day be amongst the greatest around.

I think people should try to criticise constructively.

Check his improvement and technical depth and come back to tell me if you are right or not.

Rgrds
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by femmy2010(m): 11:36am On May 25, 2010
Mikel is a young 23yr(35yr) old and still have many years ahead of him to improve and become one of the best in the world.
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by Iyineda(m): 11:47am On May 25, 2010
Mikel definitely isn't in his 30s. Even if he isn't 23 like his passport reads, he is yet to have reached the 30 years mark. At most he is 27! But I want to believe he isn't like the others (age cheats).

Mikel, Osaze, Ike Uche, Enyeama, you guys are my drive for the current national team! Do us proud in SA!! ^0^
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by makajibbz(m): 11:59am On May 25, 2010
[size=8pt][/size][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#000099][/color]definately,austin jay jay okocha, just that he didnt play long enuff for us.
wink

Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by 12large: 2:38pm On May 25, 2010
mikel one of the best lai lai, mikel has already played 4 seasons for chelsea and he has still not improved, still passes sideways and backpass all the time
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by Katsumoto: 12:50pm On May 26, 2010
This is very close between two players that I love. I pick JJ for what he could do with the ball and Yekini for the goals he scored for the Eagles.

Overall I go for Yekini on the following bases
1. Yekini was part of an era when Nigerian football was feared on the continent. I am talking about when the Eagles still played at Surulere. Okocha was part of an era when You didn't know what to expect from the Eagles
2. Yekini defeated each opponent just by being on the pitch. The man was a terror and teams, players, and coaches all over Africa feared the man.
3. Yekini was African footballer of the year although I concede, in my opinion, that Okocha was cheated twice from winning that award.

Honorary mentions include
Odegbami, Oliseh, Okechukwu Uche, Okparaji, Keshi, Finidi, Muda Lawal, Chairman Chukwu, Kanu
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by FACE(m): 6:17pm On May 26, 2010
Okocha is my number one pick but you gotta mention:

Amesiemaka Adokiye ( the man with the junior and senior mesmerism according to Ernest Okonkwo. Who remembers the legendary commentator Ernest Okonkwo ? The guy was a human encyclopedia. In his days, you watched footy with the TV volume off while you had your radio on, listening to his on the spot analysis of the game and his choice of words. Such a legend.) learnt a lot from Adokiye in terms of skill.

Samson Siasia : very good movement with the ball and a ball hustler.

Sam Okwaraji : flamboyant player like Jay jay, but also good. He fell where he played. A hero.

Mutiu Adepoju : Similar to Siasia in a way.

Henry Nwosu : Small but mighty, full of skill and packed some good shots

Segun Odegbami : Very good movement and if my childhood memory is correct, he was a flank master. (No 11)

Chairman Chukwu : You went nowhere near Okala with Chukwu on the pitch.

Rashidi Yekini : The most successful striker so far , but I can't forget the game against Italy and when the commentator screamed, " a goaaal for Nigeriaaaa but Rashidi Yekini said noo" He was a good finisher tho.

Emanuel Amuneke: A flank master , can't forget his diving header against Bulgaria, nor his strikes at 94 nations cup finals.

How about Oliha, Olise, Finidi etc. ?

Leave that thing, we have had some good player. The current players are still earning their dues, we shall see their greatness or not in retrospect.
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by Katsumoto: 6:33pm On May 26, 2010
^^^^^^^^

Odegbami played 7.
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by FACE(m): 6:34pm On May 26, 2010
Katsumoto:

^^^^^^^^

Odegbami played 7.

That's correct and Adokiye played 11
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by femmy2010(m): 8:35pm On May 26, 2010
My man still remain the the DEPENDABLE RASHIDI OMO YEKINI
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by Sagamite(m): 10:02am On May 28, 2010
1. Jay Jay Okocha (He just slightly pips the 2nd because he was a global superstar throughout)
2. Rashidi Yekini (He was a RELIABLE Nigerian legend that delivered for the team)
3. Daniel Amokachi (He had heart and serious work rate)
4. Garba Lawal (He had good work rate, versatile and was a no-frills deliverer)
5. Osaze Odemwingie (He is dedicated on the pitch at every game)
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by HNIC(m): 4:39pm On May 28, 2010
Akolawole:

1) Maybe he hold the record as the only strike patner that his pass to his main striker NEVER result to a goal.
@ Akola
He has done his job,the blame of not scoring should go to the striker not the guy that delivered the final ball
Akolawole:

2) Where do you want to place Sam Okwaraji, Alhaji Rashidi Yekini, Mutiu Adepoju, Christian chukwu. Where?
You can fault Amo14 for many things but not the desire and commitment.Okwaraji,Mutiu,Yekini and the rest don't come near him.I told you what Westerhof said about him.(he always gave 150%).Ask all who ever coached him in the Super Eagles, the commitment to the cause was never shaken, unlike what we have now
Akolawole:

3) No Sir! Until their regime, we always have a compact team as most of our national team players came from Sutin stars, Rangers and Bendel insurance.
Naah Akola,the Mafia started with Keshi and co.Remeber, the silly NFA , back then,  banned him and a few players from plying their trade in Nigeria and they went to Ivory Coast where they turned to overnight celebrities.When the ban was lifted,they didnt return, off to Belgium they proceeded and since then, we have always had a problem with the national team.
Akolawole:

4) No Cerezo was not even using ear-ring in Maroc. The Bull is the head of the foursome. I[b] hope remember that his best days in Eagles is still when he was invited to Algiers 90 team fresh from secondary school and ranchers bees.[/b]
I beg to diagree.
Amokachi was one of our best players at the World Cup in 1994 and his goal against Greece is amongst the greatest world cup goals ever,shown over and over again.He was also the top scorer for the Super Eagles en route France 1998 playing as a support striker!Not saying he was the best Nigerian player ever, he was just my favorite because I love commmited players.
Akolawole:

Was it NOT your Dan that refused to train in 1995 yet was chatting in the stadium with Jim Nwobodo about their similarities in them having twins. He is too full of himself.
Ha ha ha.
Really, I rate players based on the job done on the pitch.Most of these players were not raised in Ikoyi or V.I and didn't attend private schools.Their passport to success was football.Really, I laugh when the Press tries to make them role models.I only rate them based on what happens on the footie field
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by edoyad(m): 7:40pm On May 28, 2010
I don't know what month the nations cup took place in 94, but considering i was a boarder in secondary it's surprising i was able to watch the nations cup in 94. I remember that was like the first football tourney i followed, that was also where i saw the man-god that ranks far above all Nigerian players to me. Rashidi Yekini could have been super man to me, i remember his fantastic volley that bounced of the Egyptian cross bar. He finished as top scorer in that tournament but could only get one goal in the world cup in june. Fortunately it was Nigeria's first ever goal which puts the man-god in the history books forever and ever.
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by Katsumoto: 8:09pm On May 28, 2010
edoyad:

I don't know what month the nations cup took place in 94, but considering i was a boarder in secondary it's surprising i was able to watch the nations cup in 94. I remember that was like the first football tourney i followed, that was also where i saw the man-god that ranks far above all Nigerian players to me. [b]Rashidi Yekini could have been super man to me, i remember his fantastic volley that bounced of the Egyptian cross bar. [/b]He finished as top scorer in that tournament but could only get one goal in the world cup in june. Fortunately it was Nigeria's first ever goal which puts the man-god in the history books forever and ever.

I remember that move like it was yesterday. Jayjay enters the game in the 60 minute. Westerhof points at Yekini and JJ finds Yekini with a 50 yard ball. Yekini collects with his back to goal, turns joggles the ball with his knee and volleys from almost 40 yards and hits the bar. Even though he didn't score, schoubier pays on a bet they had that Yekini wouldn't score against him.
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by AndreUweh(m): 10:31pm On May 28, 2010
Muda Lawal
Henry Nwosu
Christian Chukwu
Emmanuel Okala
Chibuzo Ehilegbu
Etim Esin
Felix Owolabi
T. Bamidele
Steven Keshi
Daniel Amokachi.
Austin Okocha.
Nwankwo KANU.
Clement Temile.
Peter Rufai.
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by dayokanu(m): 10:45pm On May 28, 2010
I don't know what month the nations cup took place in 94, but considering i was a boarder in secondary it's surprising i was able to watch the nations cup in 94. I remember that was like the first football tourney i followed, that was also where i saw the man-god that ranks far above all Nigerian players to me. Rashidi Yekini could have been super man to me, i remember his fantastic volley that bounced of the Egyptian cross bar. He finished as top scorer in that tournament but could only get one goal in the world cup in june. Fortunately it was Nigeria's first ever goal which puts the man-god in the history books forever and ever.

When you should be watching games, you were stealing yam and eggs from the school farm. OLE

That Nations cup was played around Feb-March I think.

Think of the numerous chances yekini missed vs Cote D voire while Michel Bassole was screwing our defence
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by abrahym(m): 12:50pm On May 30, 2010
jay jay okocha
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by illusion2: 2:31pm On May 30, 2010
Thinking about Yekini honestly makes my hair rise. shocked shocked shocked shocked

The guy was too much ! As reliable as ever .

RASHIDI YEKINI !!!
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by femmy2010(m): 2:43pm On May 30, 2010
If we had the then Rashidi Yekini spare heading our attack to the 2010 World up then i would be sure we would not drop at the grouyp stage.
I am a fan and cant help it.
RASHIDI ALL THE WAY
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by adebayo201: 4:09pm On May 30, 2010
abrahym:

jay jay okocha

e pain me az d guy just quit shocked
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by aieromon(m): 6:59pm On May 30, 2010
I'll give it to Rashidi Yekini
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by Akolawole(m): 2:45am On May 31, 2010
HNIC:

@ Akola
1) He has done his job,the blame of not scoring should go to the striker not the guy that delivered the final ball

2) You can fault Amo14 for many things but not the desire and commitment.Okwaraji,Mutiu,Yekini and the rest don't come near him.I told you what Westerhof said about him.(he always gave 150%).Ask all who ever coached him in the Super Eagles, the commitment to the cause was never shaken, unlike what we have now

3) Naah Akola,the Mafia started with Keshi and co.Remeber, the silly NFA , back then,  banned him and a few players from plying their trade in Nigeria and they went to Ivory Coast where they turned to overnight celebrities.When the ban was lifted,they didnt return, off to Belgium they proceeded and since then, we have always had a problem with the national team.I beg to diagree.

4) Amokachi was one of our best players at the World Cup in 1994 and his goal against Greece is amongst the greatest world cup goals ever,shown over and over again.He was also the top scorer for the Super Eagles en route France 1998 playing as a support striker!Not saying he was the best Nigerian player ever.

5) he was just my favorite because I love commmited players.Ha ha ha.

1) Do you know that Amokachi hardly passed the final ball to Yeking? This is strange but its a fact!

2) Please dont start the commitment stuff? Never confused the word 'commitment' to his style of playing "power-play". Running around the field like a headless chicken does NOT make someone commited.

Please checkout Garba Lawal(yes the same Garba) and John Utaka.

3) We got to go memory lane then. Stephen joined eagle in 1983, [b]who can he boss in the team?[/b]Was it Segun or Alhaji Muda? Tell me who?. He came as a fine boy. After our loss to Paul Biya's team in 1984, the team was somehow disbanded so players like Odegbami and his friends left so virtually no one was left. This was 1984. In 1985, he went to Abidjan so what are you talking about here?

4) Agreed he performed well so is Oliseh, Yekini(beside Italy match) and others

5) We have so many commited players in those days. If not because of Siasia's mistake against elephants, there couldnt have been a Dan Amokachi.
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by Ibime(m): 10:28am On May 31, 2010
@ topic,

(1.) Sunday Oliseh

(2.) Finidi George

(3.) Rashidi Yekini
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by medjai(m): 11:43am On May 31, 2010
Omatsone Aluko
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by seun0622(m): 6:45pm On May 31, 2010
My choice is Efetobore Sodje, The bandana tying player, grin cool tongue kiss cry

On a more serious note, I ll go for Rashidi Yekini , One time Africa's dedliest striker, always delivers, scored more goals for Nigeria than any other striker.
Re: Who Is Your Best Super Eagles Player Of All Time? by Akolawole(m): 7:10pm On May 31, 2010
@HNIC

Waiting for ya response grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jose Mourinho Signs As Man Utd Manager / Does Spain Deserve To Win This World Cup? / Federation Cup Final: Eyimba Vs Heartland (0 - 1) On Sunday 25th September 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.