Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle (19112 Views)

On This Day In 1972; Beetle Became The World Best-selling Car / Help Me Build Solar Panel & Invecter / Inverter And Solar Panel Solution To Nigeria Electricity Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Aniebira(m): 4:27pm On May 15, 2010
Ajadudu, what nairalanders are saying is simple. Appreciate and encourage your fellow Nigerian and perchance something better you will like may come out of him.

Remember that there was once a time when all made in china goods and made in japan goods were synonymous to imitations and fakes.

Now look how far they have gone. smiley
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by pappilo(m): 4:27pm On May 15, 2010
I agree with Ajadudu. Is the man a very good panelbeater? Yes. Is a genius? No. I once saw a 4 door Beetle in Lagos many many years ago. Jelani Aliyu was not GM's chief designer, he was a senior creative program designer and had some major contribution to the development of the Chevy Volt. Is this a big accomplishment by Mr Aliyu? Yes but Nigerians like to overstate things and make greater than they are. It was once discussed on Nairaland, other Nigerian forums and even Nigerian national newspapers that a Nigerian had found the cure to cancer and his work was not being recognised becuse he is a Nigerian. What rubbish! Cancer kills millions of people every year in the world and the relevant authorities in the western world where cancer is a scourge wouldnt give a rats ass if a pig found the cure to cancer, they,ll embrace it instantly.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by TEEZERO(m): 4:35pm On May 15, 2010
My mistake: about the chief of design. And, I apologise for the misinformation. It was inadvertent.
I even got his name wrong.
He is Jelani Aliyu, not Jema.
To think that I had written about him in an article before, published in The Guardian. Extract from the article:

Sokoto here we come. It was here, precisely at the Federal Government College, Sokoto, that Jelani Aliyu, General Motors design whiz, passed out, in 1983, as the best in Technical Drawing. It would be nice to know if that subject is still being taught there and what the standard is. Albeit, we are here to urge State Governor Wammako to explore the possibility of having Aliyu return, solely (he could go back thereafter) to establish a replica of the Centre for Creative Studies, Detroit, Michigan, USA. No expense should be spared. There is a lot that Aliyu would offer beyond car design. While at Birni Kebbi Polytechnic – he passed out in 1988 as the Best All-Round Student – he was said to have carried out “in-depth research into home design and construction, looking into materials and structures that would be most compatible with our environment and climate; buildings that would stay cool in a hot environment with little or no artificial electrical air conditioning.” That is not the kind of fellow you should not do everything to woo to come home –at least for a short while, if not permanently. For all you know, Aliyu would be glad to make that contribution in return for the Sokoto State Government scholarship which took him to the College for Creative Studies. In news reports, particularly by the Nigerian media, Aliyu, who is married to Hadiza Dogondaji, also from Sokoto, is said to be “making Nigeria proud.” What is that? He should do something for Nigeria.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Cmiller(m): 5:11pm On May 15, 2010
Dz is CLASSIC, naija bently , escalade
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by flyuche(m): 5:32pm On May 15, 2010
how safe is this junk or museum piece?
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Sonofpeace(m): 5:33pm On May 15, 2010
nice job from a nigerian. Keep it up!
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by harakiri(m): 5:38pm On May 15, 2010
Even if a Nigeria converted a Peugeot 504 into a sports sedan, some 9ja peeps go still condemn am. Na wa ooo! This guy is talented.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by TEEZERO(m): 5:45pm On May 15, 2010
@ flyuche, go and read the story. The man drove the what-did-you-call-it-please-gimme-a break from Zaki Biam (in Benue State) to Abuja. May be that does not prove how safe it is, but he did drive it; on a stretch of some awful roads.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 15, 2010
I sometimes can't believe why people would decide to be so blind all is in the name of being patriotic, supporting and the good Nigerians, Mr Ajadudu supported his decisions with pictures and proof, it is clear the OP is a good panel beater but not in any means creative by what I see he just washed and repainted a old VW thats all the same stock front and body kit.

He should post the interior to prove that he re modified an older model. Nigerians are blessed and creative we appreciate that. I was overwhelmed at first site but see Ajadudu's comment I felt bad why would the poster think we are all fools! and clearly people fell for it!
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Eruns200(m): 6:39pm On May 15, 2010
this guy try oh, e no easy at all
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by matrixme(m): 6:58pm On May 15, 2010
It's a good development. But let him know that he is not the first Nigerian to do such. Let's refresh our memory of Izuogu Z-600 (which was even featured on Wiki & BBC) Izuogu's brand was even cheaper than his. He had better grabbed every opportunity that comes his way. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-337922.0.html
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by hbrednic: 7:05pm On May 15, 2010
much ado about nothing tongue,
there is a guy that was panel-beaten santana cars and loading them up with spoilers in the 80's in lagos,
can remember his name now.so this is nothing new.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by harakiri(m): 7:33pm On May 15, 2010
cne010:

I sometimes can't believe why people would decide to be so blind all is in the name of being patriotic, supporting and the good Nigerians, Mr Ajadudu supported his decisions with pictures and proof, it is clear the OP is a good panel beater but not in any means creative by what I see he just washed and repainted a old VW thats all the same stock front and body kit.

He should post the interior to prove that he re modified an older model. Nigerians are blessed and creative we appreciate that. I was overwhelmed at first site but see Ajadudu's comment I felt bad why would the poster think we are all fools! and clearly people fell for it!

Please define what you mean by "creative".

Almost every invention you see was derived from someone else's invention e.g Some designed the first battery, another one designed micro processor, someone added the two together to produce mobile phone and other inventions. The first tires were made of had the same circular design and were made of wood, later replaced by steel and now, it's rubber.The BMW X5 and BMW 5-series are made up of the same skeletal chassis. . .apart from the external variations, they are the same thing.Snoop Dogg has a vehicle called the "Snoop Deville" which is a "souped up" impala in reality.So wetin be your own? This dude converted an old model vehicle into something else.Give kudos to the guy abeg.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by ayodot(m): 7:39pm On May 15, 2010
It really really cool, such innovations needs to be encouraged. The man tried, what have you made yourself, show us
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by harakiri(m): 7:46pm On May 15, 2010
ayodot:

It really really cool, such innovations needs to be encouraged. The man tried, what have you made yourself, show us

Abeg help me ask am.The practicals and project wey him do for school, how many him "invent" grin grin cheesy ?

No be Google search and "borrowed" materials all of them dey do?

lol

Nuff respect to the "mobiddobile" grin
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by flyuche(m): 8:15pm On May 15, 2010
sorry to say, the very first automobile from Henry Ford is better than this joke. after more than a century of automobile history this is the best we can come up with.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by harakiri(m): 9:00pm On May 15, 2010
flyuche:

sorry to say, the very first automobile from Henry Ford is better than this joke. after more than  a century of automobile history this is the best we can come up with. 

Sorry to bust your bubble but the first automobile was designed built by Karl Benz in 1885.Henry Ford's autos came 1908 (the "T" model). . .so get your facts straight before posting.Also, if you look at the Henry ford model, you'll see most of the make up was borrowed from Karl Benz's original design.So what the hell are you talking about?

This is a guy who has limited resources, he might be semi-literate for all we know and see what he's done with the little available to him.If our educational system is funded with 10% of what Harvard university budgets annually ($26 billion as at 2009), you would be surprised what our people can do.WHY CAN'T NIGERIANS RECOGNIZE TRUE TALENT WHEN THEY SEE IT? With all the education, people are still living with the slave mentality.All those kids abroad who come up with inventions have all they need available to them, excessive funding from government and private organizations. . .so the sky is the limit for them.Here, the government doesn't care if students are forced to remain at home for 1 year.Learn to appreciate the good that comes out from your country.

In between, with all your education, what have you contributed to mankind in general in all your entire years of existence? NOTHING! ! !

Prove me wrong by providing proof (like there's any)

Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Nobody: 9:19pm On May 15, 2010
flyuche the least u could do is to encourage a brother dont put down a brother who is getting creative this is what is killing creativity amongst us all
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by bookface: 9:44pm On May 15, 2010
A panel beater did this? shocked shocked

As in someone with no educational background?
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by cashful(m): 9:57pm On May 15, 2010
Copied or not this guy need to be commended, i am an engineer and i know very well that engineering design is a hardnut to crack. China got to where they are mostly by copying before branching into R&D, they are simply masters of the application of technology.
so we can start this way too for us to quickly catch up then we can now go fully into R&D so as to apply the already existing technology to our on peculiar needs
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by oyinda3(f): 10:08pm On May 15, 2010
wow. i'm extremely impressed shocked shocked
kudos to him
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by cashful(m): 10:13pm On May 15, 2010
commendations apart, some other Nigerians have also designed cars that where not copied (eg the late Prof at Unilag, Prof Awojobi and this guy in Imo state that once contested for gov.(Engr. Izorgu,) not so sure his name)so a lot still need to be done for us to start producing home made cars.
we need a working and vibrant steel industry before we can start shouting hurray.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Ivynwa(f): 10:21pm On May 15, 2010
Even if he copied the 80's beetle, he still deserves the credit for modernizing it. Check out how posh and cute it is, a beetle on a class of its own. This guy did some work and made something happen, I respect people that does not fold their hands, it takes some positive spirit for a human being to go to work and achieve that. It is people with such spirits that are renewing our world with innovations. More grease to his elbows,
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Abagworo(m): 11:21pm On May 15, 2010
comic relief.next!!
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by Debayurr: 12:02am On May 16, 2010
1 word,AWESOME.i luv it
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by flyuche(m): 12:12am On May 16, 2010
@harakiri. yes i mean the very first car from Henry Ford not the quadricycle from karl Benz. I prefer that car to this joke.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by COOLDK(m): 12:17am On May 16, 2010
Absolutely genious!
@ ajadudu
i no de suprise 4 u, cos a sensible person wont cal himself AJADUDU AJA(DOG) which bark abnormally + DUDU(BLACK). No wonder u split nonscence
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by COOLDK(m): 12:33am On May 16, 2010
@ Debayyur
can u see u r crazy and foolish urself? First post! See what u share. Are u trying 2 tel us u r nakedly mental! Donkey!
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by ajadudu: 1:37am On May 16, 2010
COOL DK:

Absolutely genious!
@ ajadudu
i no de suprise 4 u, cos a sensible person wont cal himself AJADUDU   AJA(DOG) which bark abnormally + DUDU(BLACK). No wonder u split nonscence
grin

Did this fellow graduate from a school? Just reading your post tells me about the level of intellect you possess. Also, when you are typing up your posts and you see a wavy red line below most of your words, do me favor and right click and take your chances to find the correct spelling, may have better luck that way
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by comechop(m): 3:13am On May 16, 2010
ajadudu:

grin

Did this fellow graduate from a school? Just reading your post tells me about the level of intellect you possess. Also, when you are typing up your posts and you see a wavy red line below most of your words, do me favor and right click and take your chances to find the correct spelling, may have better luck that way

Before you condemn others, look in the mirror. You're not very different yourself.
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by ajadudu: 3:43am On May 16, 2010
comechop:

Before you condemn others, look in the mirror. You're not very different yourself.

You really took the time to think that one out didn't ya?
Re: 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle by babaowo: 3:50am On May 16, 2010
you should have try and copy expensive cars like
ferrari ,astonmatins. lr4 like china people do
nigerians will not patronize you of this old
fashion of your made because they like
competition. good luck good effort.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nature's Stylus! - The Carrot / Photo Of Giant Snake (55ft): Biggest Snake In The World / Algae Converted To Crude Oil In Under An Hour-see Picture And Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.