Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,693 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop (19193 Views)

I Need A Neat Second Hand Laptop / What Specs Can I Get On A Second Hand Laptop With This Budget? / Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by PotatoSalad(m): 4:37pm On Apr 05, 2018
udemzyudex:

Where do you get this your information from?

Haba
Bitter truth. If you don't know the seller or not told the truth about the condition of the laptop, run.
There's a chance that something is defective.
It's not that there's no good second hand laptops. It's just that sellers aren't truthful at all.
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by nelsonebby(m): 4:38pm On Apr 05, 2018
Never buy a second hand laptop

2 Likes

Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by canalily(m): 4:39pm On Apr 05, 2018
ladyF:
Noted.

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin
expired
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by Hhenryy: 4:41pm On Apr 05, 2018
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by tgmservice: 4:45pm On Apr 05, 2018
Wizkhalifa2:
https://www.nairaland.com/4402033/mint-acer-aspire-v5-571-6499-core

750 HDD

Intel Core i5

8gb ram

15inch screen

WiFi

Bluetooth

Power pack included
how much will u sell this beast
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by udemzyudex(m): 4:46pm On Apr 05, 2018
PotatoSalad:

Bitter truth. If you don't know the seller or not told the truth about the condition of the laptop, run.
There's a chance that something is defective.
It's not that there's no good second hand laptops. It's just that sellers aren't truthful at all.

Lol.. Ok
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by GbangbaTosTos: 4:47pm On Apr 05, 2018
Wizkhalifa2:

750 HDD

Intel Core i5

8gb ram

15inch screen

WiFi

Bluetooth

Power pack included

How much
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by Wizkhalifa2(m): 4:51pm On Apr 05, 2018
tgmservice:
how much will u sell this beast

GbangbaTosTos:

How much

pls, send a pm, or check the link for my whatsapp number. Tnx
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by GbangbaTosTos: 4:52pm On Apr 05, 2018
frankwealth:
American used Hp Folio 9470m EliteBook available for wholesale buyers (those buying 3pcs above) and end users buying just 1.

Group 1

4gb ram
128ssd
Core i5
Keyboard light
14" HD screen
HD webcam
Inbuilt Bluetooth
WiFi
Ultra slim like Apple Macbook

Retail price is 95k
Wholesale price is 90k

Group 2

4gb
160ssd
Core i7
Keyboard light
14" HD screen
HD webcam
Inbuilt Bluetooth
WiFi
Ultra slim like Apple Macbook

Retail price is 105,000
Wholesale price is 100,000

Private message or send mail

You did not state the HDD size
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by Jintata: 4:57pm On Apr 05, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/4413608/usa-fairly-used-laptops-sale

Dell Precision M6700, 2TB, 12GB, 2.6MHz,
17” Laptop, workstation.

The M6700 is the world’s most powerful 17" mobile workstation, with the performance, battery life and storage for demanding work environments.

The Dell Precision M6700 combines laptop mobility and workstation-class performance into a dependable, highly agile system that brings your projects to life.

Features a 17.3" HD LED LCD screen for your viewing pleasure!

With the speed of a Quad Core Intel Core i5, a beautiful HD LED backlit screen, dedicated graphics, and a full sized keyboard, it is no wonder why the Dell Precision makes an excellent desktop replacement!

Specifications:
CPU: Intel Core i5 Quad Core
Memory: 12GB DDR3
Hard Drives: 2TB SATA
Graphics Card: nVidia Quadro K3000M

Screen: 17.3" LED LCD
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels FHD
USB Ports: 4
Video Outputs: VGA, Display Port, & HDMI
Webcam: Yes

Whatsapp for further details

Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by mcgift(m): 5:03pm On Apr 05, 2018
fairly used UK laptop available for sell
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by PotatoSalad(m): 5:16pm On Apr 05, 2018
udemzyudex:

Lol.. Ok
You know and you're laughing. angry
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by Jintata: 5:30pm On Apr 05, 2018
HP EliteBook 8440p
Intel CPU Core i7 2.8GHz Processor laptop
Intel[R] core i7 m640 CPU
RAM (Memory): 6GB DDR3
Hard Drive: 750GB SATA 2.5 HDD
Windows 7 Professional x64
Screen Size: 14.0" Diagonal HD
Optical Drive: DVD
Wireless Ports: 1x Display Port Video Out
1x VGA Video Out 1x Mic in | 1x headphone out
1x eSATA/USB 2.0 Combo 3x USB 2.0 1x RJ-11/ Modem 1x RJ-45/
1x Power Adapter

Whatsapp for further details

Kindly click on this link below to chat with us on WhatsApp:

click here to chat with us
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by udemzyudex(m): 5:45pm On Apr 05, 2018
PotatoSalad:

You know and you're laughing. angry

I don't know oo, anyway I won't say it's a bad idea to buy used laptop,even a new laptop can develop fault the very first week you purchase it.

Just buy from a trusted seller and always ask for warranty. Most seller will give you 1month warranty, it doesn't mean they will refund your money back if anything should happen. Trust naija sellers naa, instead they will change the laptop for you or tell u to add a little money and take another one.

If you know how to check a used laptop before buying, it will save you a lot of stress even if you're buying for the first time.

Like I said earlier, the op didn't go deep, just some shallow point. In fact one can take up to 3-4hrs or even more to test a laptop before buying.

1 Like

Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by PotatoSalad(m): 5:49pm On Apr 05, 2018
udemzyudex:

I don't know oo, anyway I won't say it's a bad idea to buy used laptop,even a new laptop can develop fault the very first week you purchase it.

Just buy from a trusted seller and always ask for warranty. Most seller will give you 1month warranty, it doesn't mean they will refund your money back if anything should happen. Trust naija sellers naa, instead they will change the laptop for you or tell u to add a little money and take another one.

If you know how to check a used laptop before buying, it will save you a lot of stress even if you're buying for the first time.

Like I said earlier, the op didn't go deep, just some shallow point. In fact one can take up to 3-4hrs or even more to test a laptop before buying.

Now you're talking

1 Like

Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by ericmor: 5:56pm On Apr 05, 2018
Wizkhalifa2:

750 HDD

Intel Core i5

8gb ram

15inch screen

WiFi

Bluetooth

Power pack included

How much?
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by fineguy11(m): 6:18pm On Apr 05, 2018
soleexx:

@ what rate
bought Dell latitude E6500,4GIG RAM,250HHD,2.5GHZ,2GIG VIDEO MEMORY for 60k.
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by Greatzeus(m): 6:41pm On Apr 05, 2018
Why is it that every laptop being sold on Nairaland is called UK used. A laptop that has suffered in the hands of it's naija owner like kilode grin
Fairly used laptops are expensive on Nairaland because those selling are selling on behalf of another guy who is selling on behalf of another guy and so on.. undecided
But what can I say, hustling things
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by rawlineo2000(m): 7:32pm On Apr 05, 2018
Need a website? Check my signature
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by rookiy(m): 8:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
Wizkhalifa2:

750 HDD

Intel Core i5

8gb ram

15inch screen

WiFi

Bluetooth

Power pack included

Please check link for my whatsapp contact
How much u wn sell am?
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by chiscodedon(m): 8:51pm On Apr 05, 2018
How much could be Lenovo g40, core i7, AMD Radeon R5 M330, HD graphics 5500,8gig ram and 1terabyt Rome laptop price,
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by Cvesta(m): 9:56pm On Apr 05, 2018
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by Valfrankie(m): 11:59pm On Apr 05, 2018
How much is fairly used HP 6730b and HP Pro book 6450b... Please I need urgent answers.
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by frankwealth: 8:41am On Apr 06, 2018
GbangbaTosTos:

You did not state the HDD size
i did. Check where I stated: 128ssd and 160ssd.

Ssd is the latest hard disk memory technology in voque for latest version laptops. it is a compressed memory for faster, high performance. its better than the usual gb tech.

so 128ssd means x 2 = 250gb hdd if u remove the dedicated memory used by the pc.

160ssd means x 2 = 320gb but of high performance and speed.
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by chidiogo123(f): 10:54pm On Apr 06, 2018
Valfrankie:
How much is fairly used HP 6730b and HP Pro book 6450b... Please I need urgent answers.
WhatsApp/call: 08172568455 for the best on USA used laptops.
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by MizyB(f): 12:36pm On Apr 07, 2018
udemzyudex:

Kindly drop a few tips for those that do not know how to check used laptops before buying.
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by udemzyudex(m): 8:30am On Apr 08, 2018
MizyB:
Kindly drop a few tips for those that do not know how to check used laptops before buying.

OK, I'll mention you when I'm done.
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by MizyB(f): 12:21pm On Apr 08, 2018
udemzyudex:

OK, I'll mention you when I'm done.
looking forward to that. Thanks
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by phazotron(m): 9:53pm On Apr 08, 2018
I have a mint condition tokunbo lenovo g70 500gb hdd 4gb ram core i3-5020u for sale at only 88k. Call or Whatsapp 08101735087 if interested.

Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by udemzyudex(m): 8:26am On Apr 12, 2018
1. Take a look at the carcass, make sure there is no broken part and the body is okay.

2. Hold the top and bend it a little as if you want to close the laptop, this will allow you to notice if the hinges is broken or not screwed well. Also when u do it that way, it will allow you to notice if the screen flickers, which means the signal cable might be bad or the screen. Request for a change.

3. Check the screw holes to see if the laptop has been repaired, if it has been tampered with you will definitely see screw driver marks or different screw size or color.
Note: some engineers can open a laptop without you even noticing any sign.

4. Open the laptop and make the top carcass stand vertically, stand close to it and see if the screen is okay.
There are some bad screen you won't notice if you're just looking at it at the front, unless you take a closer look.

Look out for any white or black spot.

5. Open notepad to test the keyboard, make sure all the keys are working (you might not be able to check all the function keys if they are working if vga is not driven.)

From the letters to numbers, shift, arrow keys for left, right, down and up to tab keys, check them out. If one key is not working, then ask for change.

6. Check the speaker, play music with laptop and make sure no cracking sound is heard, check WiFi, connect your phone to see if it working.

7. Check camera, if the laptop have cam check it and make sure it is working well, check all USB ports.

I'll advice you use external keyboard, external USB mouse or USB flash to check all the USB ports to confirm they are working well.

Some faulty USB port will charge your phone but won't detect the phone, so don't use your phone to check.

8. Check dvd rom, insert a good disc and see how fast it loads, if it takes longer time or doesn't load ask for a change. (unless laptop doesn't come with one)

9. Some times the only way to test if the hdd is good is how fast the operating system take to load, since most engineers don't install the software to check hdd health.
Just make sure it is not taking forever to boot into desktop.

10. Check the battery, make sure it is charging, and the ba3 indicator is plug in charging, allow the battery to increase (charge) then remove the charger and play music or video with it, see how quickly it reduce.

If it reduce quickly, then the battery is bad.

11. Ask for original charger, original charger cable are always thick and body look dull (not shiny)

New charger looks shiny, kinda light and cable is not that thick.

Some laptop develops fault due to bad charger, so ask for original charger and if the engineer doesn't have, you can negotiate with him to remove the amount from the price so you get one yourself.

I didn't talk about the ram, processor and hdd size here, cos I believe you already know what you want to buy and how many ram size you need.
They also determine the price too, you can negotiate.

It's advice able you read reviews concerning a particular laptop you want to buy, some problems are specific to a particular laptop, though it still depends on how you use it. Reading reviews will make you decide better.

Cc: MizyB

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by MizyB(f): 8:00pm On Apr 12, 2018
udemzyudex:
1. Take a look at the carcass, make sure there is no broken part and the body is okay.

2. Hold the top and bend it a little as if you want to close the laptop, this will allow you to notice if the hinges is broken or not screwed well. Also when u do it that way, it will allow you to notice if the screen flickers, which means the signal cable might be bad or the screen. Request for a change.

3. Check the screw holes to see if the laptop has been repaired, if it has been tampered with you will definitely see screw driver marks or different screw size or color.
Note: some engineers can open a laptop without you even noticing any sign.

4. Open the laptop and make the top carcass stand vertically, stand close to it and see if the screen is okay.
There are some bad screen you won't notice if you're just looking at it at the front, unless you take a closer look.

Look out for any white or black spot.

5. Open notepad to test the keyboard, make sure all the keys are working (you might not be able to check all the function keys if they are working if vga is not driven.)

From the letters to numbers, shift, arrow keys for left, right, down and up to tab keys, check them out. If one key is not working, then ask for change.

6. Check the speaker, play music with laptop and make sure no cracking sound is heard, check WiFi, connect your phone to see if it working.

7. Check camera, if the laptop have cam check it and make sure it is working well, check all USB ports.

I'll advice you use external keyboard, external USB mouse or USB flash to check all the USB ports to confirm they are working well.

Some faulty USB port will charge your phone but won't detect the phone, so don't use your phone to check.

8. Check dvd rom, insert a good disc and see how fast it loads, if it takes longer time or doesn't load ask for a change. (unless laptop doesn't come with one)

9. Some times the only way to test if the hdd is good is how fast the operating system take to load, since most engineers don't install the software to check hdd health.
Just make sure it is not taking forever to boot into desktop.

10. Check the battery, make sure it is charging, and the ba3 indicator is plug in charging, allow the battery to increase (charge) then remove the charger and play music or video with it, see how quickly it reduce.

If it reduce quickly, then the battery is bad.

11. Ask for original charger, original charger cable are always thick and body look dull (not shiny)

New charger looks shiny, kinda light and cable is not that thick.

Some laptop develops fault due to bad charger, so ask for original charger and if the engineer doesn't have, you can negotiate with him to remove the amount from the price so you get one yourself.

I didn't talk about the ram, processor and hdd size here, cos I believe you already know what you want to buy and how many ram size you need.
They also determine the price too, you can negotiate.

It's advice able you read reviews concerning a particular laptop you want to buy, some problems are specific to a particular laptop, though it still depends on how you use it. Reading reviews will make you decide better.

Cc: MizyB

Wow! Comprehensive! Thanks for the hard work sir.

When buying a used laptop, is it possible to detect if the laptop was stolen or not?

Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by INCREDIBLEGUY: 9:27pm On Apr 12, 2018
guys please I need your advice as,, I am new to laptop things,, should I buy this laptop at the rate of 100k,HP250 G6,, It has 4gb ram, core 13,,, and also,, I discovered it's the laptop raining now,, cause virtually all the store I went to,,, around ring road,, they all seem to have it,,,,,,,,, please your advice n3eded, cause I would want to use it for gaming,,,, movies,,,,typing,,,, and browsing,,,,,,, please,,, I don't know if I should buy it,, or can any body recommend for me,, from either lenovo or HP,,,,, brand new laptop tho,,, thanks,,,,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help! Ma Modem No Longer Recognises Sim Card! / Putting A Laptop On Your Lap Linked To Male Infertility And Skin Discoloration / I Forgot The Password To My Laptop, Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.