Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,442 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer (12240 Views)

Akpabio: I Never Asked Where God Was When I Made Emmanuel Governor / Abacha Loot: Swiss Lawyer Tackles Malami Over Dubious N7bn Legal Fees / $43m Ikoyi Flat Loot: I Warned NIA Boss Not To Cover Rotimi Amaechi.- FFK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by Islie: 5:11pm On Apr 05, 2018
by Femi Owolabi

Enrico Monfrini, a Swiss lawyer hired by the Nigerian government since 1999 to work on recovering Abacha loot, has denied asking for additional fees.

His denial came on the heels of a syndicated article in Nigerian media seeking to justify the duplication of Monfrini’s job by Abubakar Malami, the attorney-general of the federation (AGF).

TheCable had reported the engagement of another set of Nigerian lawyers for a fee of $17 million (about N6 billion) for a job already completed by Monfrini.

But an article apparently sponsored to discredit TheCable alleged that Monfrini was asking for an additional 20% to “complete the job”.

Malami allegedly made a counter offer of 5 percent which Monfrini rejected, and this reportedly prompted Malami to engage the services of two Nigerian lawyers — Oladipo Okpeseyi, a senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), and Temitope Adebayo.

In an email to TheCable on Thursday, however, Monfrini explained that there is no truth in the allegation.

“I am not asking any additional fees from the Federal Republic of Nigeria in respect of funds which I have recovered on behalf of the latter during the last 20 years,” he said, adding that any allegations against him “would just be a lie”.

Working with then-attorney-general of Nigeria, Mohammed Adoke, Monfrini traced about $321 million to Luxembourg.

The monies were recovered and kept in the custody of the attorney-general of Switzerland, awaiting final return to Nigeria.

Monfrini had, earlier, told TheCable that he did not know why Nigeria decided to appoint other lawyers.

“Upon the election of President Buhari, the newly appointed minister of justice and attorney-general, Malami, appeared to prefer using the services of other lawyers in Nigeria and elsewhere,” he had said.

TheCable had also reported how
Nigeria will be paying $17 million (over N6 billion) to the freshly engaged lawyers who would “help” with the repatriation of $321 million stolen by Abacha.

This amount is nearly thrice more than what was already paid to Monfrini for the same job.

A senior official of the ministry of justice had told TheCable that “this is a case of re-looting Abacha loot”.

“A simple letter from the office of our attorney-general of the federation to the Swiss attorney-general requesting the repatriation of the funds to Nigeria consequent upon the signing of an MoU was all that was required to consummate the deal,” the official said.

“From nowhere, Malami went and appointed another set of lawyers to do his job for him, and for few million dollars too.”
The Cable Foundation, a partner organisation of TheCable newspaper, is currently in court to seek an order of mandamus compelling the AGF to release the details of the repatriation agreements with the lawyers.

An official of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has, however, told TheCable that the anti-graft agency is closely monitoring the situation.

“If a case of duplication is established, there will be consequences. This government takes the anti-graft war as a priority, as you well know, and this particular transaction is of interest to us,” the official said.

https://www.thecable.ng/abacha-loot-never-asked-nigeria-extra-pay-says-swiss-lawyer

1 Like

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by Positiveminds(m): 5:19pm On Apr 05, 2018
The level of corruption in this Buhari's led government will be second to none in human history. 2019 is around the corner. The shall sing to the amusement of Nigerians.

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by Paperwhite(m): 5:22pm On Apr 05, 2018
“From nowhere, Malami went and appointed another set of lawyers to do his job for him, and for few million dollars too.”
The Cable Foundation, a partner organisation of TheCable newspaper, is currently in court to seek an order of mandamus compelling the AGF to release the details of the repatriation agreements with the lawyers.

APC government lies still being busted. angry Morally corrupt government filled with die-hard professional crooks.Malami is still the AGF because Buhari is also grossly corrupt.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by valentineuwakwe(m): 5:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
everybody with his or her own version ofthestoryand the lootedfh ds...am still asking, theysaid $321million has been recovered, abeg where dem keep am?

2 Likes

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by DrRasheed: 5:36pm On Apr 05, 2018
Some people might have asked on for you behind the scene.
Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by ZombiePUNISHER: 5:52pm On Apr 05, 2018
They are relooting the loot oh shocked shocked

Apc are bunch of thieves

Cc lzaa Imhotep onyeoga homeboiy

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by Nobody: 6:12pm On Apr 05, 2018
ZombiePUNISHER:

Apc are bunch of thieves

APCheat is a wasted party

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by ZombiePUNISHER: 6:17pm On Apr 05, 2018
imhotep:

With wasted supporters especially from the waste

grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by nairavsdollars(f): 6:23pm On Apr 05, 2018
Liar. These foreigners think we are still in the dark ages

2 Likes

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by Okoyeebos: 6:23pm On Apr 05, 2018
ZombiePUNISHER:

With wasted supporters especially from the South West

grin grin grin

Buhari has bought hoes, headpans and cutlasses for your flatheaded slaves. Go and continue from where your fathers stopped.

Buhari is an exception to honour and dignity. Gathered thieves in his cabinet and he's the Commander-in-thief.

1 Like

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by Flets: 6:23pm On Apr 05, 2018
Why will any right thinking sane individual support this government?

The fools who came to fight corruption have taken corruption to a whole new level.

13 Likes

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by emeijeh(m): 6:23pm On Apr 05, 2018
imhotep:

And they are as confused as this guy too.

4 Likes

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by soberdrunk(m): 6:24pm On Apr 05, 2018
I don't understand why Nigeria will even hire a 'foreign' lawyer to recover her money in the first, what is the work of the AGF and the entire Ministry of Justice? angry

3 Likes

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by BruncleZuma: 6:24pm On Apr 05, 2018
grin grin grin grin

St. Abacha the Innocent

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by kings09(m): 6:25pm On Apr 05, 2018
Kai buhari ! Ur lies have gone international....

Monfrini is ipob - yarimo

Monfrini is among the looters - usba

1 Like

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by thundafire: 6:26pm On Apr 05, 2018
Tired of commenting about dis crooks

2 Likes

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by Okoyeebos: 6:26pm On Apr 05, 2018
Malami perverts justice on behalf of Buhari.
Kyari collects bribes on behalf of Buhari
Lai tells lies on behalf of Buhari

Buhari is not ignorant of all that is going on, he's in support of everything.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by Nobody: 6:27pm On Apr 05, 2018
They're truly relooting the loot cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by eleojo23: 6:30pm On Apr 05, 2018
They are looking for ways to re-loot the loot
Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by YorubaEmir: 6:34pm On Apr 05, 2018
The most wicked and stubborn spirit to cast away is the spirit of Lie Muhammed. angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by Houseofglam7(f): 6:35pm On Apr 05, 2018
Since 1999

Puuuuaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!
Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by LZAA: 6:47pm On Apr 05, 2018
ZombiePUNISHER:

Apc are bunch of thieves

chainge!chainge!!chainge!!!

1 Like

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by ZombiePUNISHER: 6:47pm On Apr 05, 2018
Okoyeebos:

Buhari has bought hoes, headpans and cutlasses for your flatheaded slaves. Go and continue from where your fathers stopped.

Buhari is an exception to honour and dignity. Gathered thieves in his cabinet and he's the Commander-in-thief.

The supporter of the massacre of innocent middle beltans
The custodian of corruption
The joke of humanity

Filthy things everywhere sad
Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by LZAA: 6:50pm On Apr 05, 2018
Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by femliany(m): 6:52pm On Apr 05, 2018
valentineuwakwe:
everybody with his or her own version ofthestoryand the lootedfh ds...am still asking, theysaid $321million has been recovered, abeg where dem keep am?
Maybe hippotamous don swallow again

1 Like

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by Eze4tonyTc(m): 6:55pm On Apr 05, 2018
legal thieves#Apc
Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by phineas: 6:57pm On Apr 05, 2018
Foreign lawyer my foot

So in typical 'expatraite" manner it is expected he must be paid more than Nigerians,the crap they promote in every industry.This most stop

Secondly thought this case was in court and judgement on the matter settled a long time ago on why Nigeria should hire its own lawyers, so whats the oyibos beef exactly?

Perhaps another lame attempt at smearing the Nigerian Goverment by foreign entities,this really must stop,and yes Nigerian professionals are better on Nigerian issues anyday

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by nonaira: 6:59pm On Apr 05, 2018
We believe you. We know they looted it and tried to blame you.

The fighting corruption team are hilariously enough, the most corrupt. Someone quote me on this, I bet APC have looted more so than Abacha. I will not be shocked if they have
Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by Icon79(m): 7:02pm On Apr 05, 2018
This is a case of re-looting Abacha loot, indeed!

Nigeria, we hail thee sha

O pari
Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by Adekdammy: 7:19pm On Apr 05, 2018
Another corruption by the apc govt detected, they are always caught in the act.

1 Like

Re: Abacha Loot: I Never Asked Nigeria For Extra Pay, Says Swiss Lawyer by tete7000(m): 7:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
Okoyeebos:
Malami perverts justice on behalf of Buhari.
Kyari collects bribes on behalf of Buhari
Lai tells lies on behalf of Buhari

Buhari is not ignorant of all that is going on, he's in support of everything.
Don't mind the mumu who always shout Buhari is not corrupt slang. Maybe they've forgotten that birds of the same feathers flock together. You can't tolerate those whose way of live doesn't reflect your own. Buhari himself capture the picture of a big lie, a man who always believe he is the most righteous man to ever tread this land. What lie can be bigger than that? Saint Buhari.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Approves ₦13 Billion Take-Off Fund For Community Policing / Appeal Court: Faulty Card Reader Can’t Invalidate An Election / Kaduna State Armed Forces Remembrance Day 2016 - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.