Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,979 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! (8025 Views)

How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! / Good Morning Nairalanders. Please I Need Your Urgent Help With Driving Job. / Nairalanders Please Help I Need A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by sweetstjoy(f): 4:33pm On Mar 23, 2007
Have a vision, then your success will be defined, if ur success is not defined then you do not have a vision. it is possible for Bill Gates to say that he is not yet successful, this is becos if he has not reached where he has set out to reach, he can never say he has arrived.
my dears, that you made an A in class does not mean you have made an A in life vice versa, so lets forget about the grades and push on, not forgeting that if you have a dream of working in some places that doesnt accept anything below 2.1, you must aspire to make a 2.1 or above, that is your mission towards you dream, DREAM BIG!!
one love
smiley
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by ogs(m): 11:00am On Mar 26, 2007
@ sweetestjoy,

Good one!

I sent u a mail n you haven't responded. Why? Hope to hear from you soonest.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by sweetstjoy(f): 2:50pm On Mar 26, 2007
hi dears,
that post was meant for the topic 2;1 and 2;2 but it is still in place.

ogs,
sorry i gave you a wrong email, it is sweetestjoy4u@hotmail.com.
hope to hear from you soon
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by usaoladele: 11:00am On Mar 29, 2007
pls could you help me with alcatels test format.
my email add usaoladele@yahoo.com

thanks
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by agnesoseka: 12:12pm On Mar 29, 2007
Nice one!!!!! I support the last speaker grin grin, Abeg give us some breathing space, shooo no be by force make person sabi english, smiley over education de worry some pple sef.na wa ooooh.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by agnesoseka: 12:13pm On Mar 29, 2007
Nice one!!!!! I support TBADMUS!!!grin grin, Abeg give us some breathing space, shooo no be by force make person sabi english, smiley over education de worry some pple sef.na wa ooooh.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by tees(f): 11:22am On Apr 03, 2007
well said nairalander, spoken english is really bad, we cannot make excuses for ourselves any longer if we really want to compete in the globe. thanks for that wake up call!
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by Mustay(m): 11:49pm On Apr 04, 2007
Am sure most nigerians don't like writing full english. We always like d text format whereby words are shortened.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:52pm On Apr 04, 2007
speak for yourself.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by crito(m): 8:16am On Apr 05, 2007
nice one. grin grin grin
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by Ndipe(m): 11:06am On Apr 05, 2007
Selling oneself on Nairaland? Are you kidding? I mean, which employer, in their right mind, would scout for prospective job applicants on a Nigerian blog, when there are other avenues like the classifieds? Seriously, would you@the poster? This is a Nigerian board, and people should be free to express themselves in whatsoever language, be it pidgin or correct English. As long as their discourse is understandable, that should not pose a problem.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by Nicholdave(m): 3:26pm On Apr 05, 2007
While I appreciate @Dargly's advice on self improvement, I agree with the view that he has carried it a bit farther.

Judging people's grammatical competence on the internet can be rather very misleading. Firstly, people feel free in a forum like this and the primary thing is just to communicate. Secondly, there WILL always be both grammatical and typographical errors (and even @Dargly should not cast the first stone): people just want to get in, do so much in a limited time, and get out again (in support of @Ndipe). The spontaneity in communication - like when chatting - also causes this. Why should we now be rather 'obscurantist' like Uncle Kongi? Besides, even graduates of English (like me) still make written and oral blunders, albeit pardonable or not. Nobody is above mistake.

Like @Dargly, I'm poor in Pidgin English too, but that may have to do with individual background: I know people who are as eloquent in good English as they are in Pidgin English. Criticizing Pidginers may have envious tendencies.

However, Dargly's advice on self-improvement and good self-presentation is objective.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by notrespazz(m): 3:29pm On Apr 05, 2007
we dey represent naija, it all depends on d message u are passing across, a joke might be represented in form of a slang or coined word
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by darqly(m): 7:51pm On Apr 05, 2007
On the job board, keep it simple, make it concise and as much as possible use proper tenses, spellings etc.

Some keep suggesting that employers would never come scouting on this forum for candidates so it justifies using whatever "language" one wants to use to communicate.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by dtvojo(m): 12:10am On Apr 06, 2007
I think it's high time dargly stopped laying emphasis on the use of pidgin English. If u like, acquire Obj power join Ribadu own, Pidgin no go pafuka.

You've made your point from day 1, and that's okay. When you know it's a job board, you defiled it by writing unspeakable wordson it. I'm yet to see your apology.

Lest I forget, a village head-master is needed(this is 4 u dargly)
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by Mustay(m): 4:00am On Apr 09, 2007
Thief,what you saying? Speak 4 yourself?
I guess that's why we've aliases ere
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by boladonas(m): 12:31am On Apr 10, 2007
I am pleased to see that we are beginning to regulate ourselves in Nairaland
nice jobs

still watching
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by omoge(f): 1:40am On Apr 10, 2007
Okay. Let's start speaking good english. some employers might stop at Nairaland to hire their next workers  smiley

PS: Don't forget to add big grammar in your post too. 

grin Ndipe, abi ooo  grin

maybe Warren Buffet and Bill Gate's Recruiter lol
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by Agboola1(m): 10:48am On Apr 10, 2007
if english language is an official language for this forum i would have recommended a strict adherence. be that as it may, we should be constructive in our submissions even if we are going to mix it with pidgin or mother tongue.

its of essence to know that there is a lot observation to be considered in peoples staments irrespective of language. the fun is its contextual meaning and its mode. i knw big companies that relates in pidgin, like parley how far?, ol boy work dey o, wetin dey? and all that stuff. what i mean is we shoulb more constructive in our atatements and be modest. i must also state here that the way some of us attack fellow nairalanders when they reply to others mistakes or wrong submissions. this kills the spirit of interraction in some people thus making fellows to withdraw.

i think we should be more concerned about constructive statements i n our submissions, i beleive we are all understand good english of communication and can or may juice up our posts with either pidgin or mother tongue as we wish to drive home our points.

i can comunite in any form and still make sense

nairaland is the best of all forums ive known and more people should be encouraged to enlist and remain a contributor,participant. we could also benefit a lot from peoples mistake.

your friend's courage remains your strenght

cheers
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by mira(f): 5:35pm On Apr 10, 2007
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this forum though I'm not a new member. I read through all the replies and I think everyone has made their point very well, I just want to add that we all are entitled to our own opinions and if you can't get others to agree with you then pause, respect their opinions and leave it at that. Afterall, everbody sabi how he wan take find job. grin Oops! Pardon my pidgin but I couldnt resist the temptation. In case you're checking or not I made sure there was NO ERROR on my post.   wink Employers take note.

Love you all and please vote for the man/woman you believe can make Nigeria Great.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by mira(f): 5:38pm On Apr 10, 2007
Abi una see error?
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by omoge(f): 11:05pm On Apr 10, 2007
Yes I caught one. It's Porum not Forum grin grin
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by diyobdw(f): 10:56am On Apr 11, 2007
lol

i still wonder if you need to dress formal to a night club because your future employer might be at the bar undecided
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by darqly(m): 3:02pm On Apr 11, 2007
@ diyo,your sarcasm is swamping the entire forum now. Let's be subtle,
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by klev(m): 6:16pm On Apr 11, 2007
I guess I'll agree a bit with my guy on selling selves & spelling correctly its very important - when looking for a job. but honestly, I tell my boss "wetin dey" & pidgin english is sweet! I work with a lot of white folks & they'll die to learn it. All said, please when its time to speak english, speak it well. grin
B/4 I forget, a new TV series is out on NTA Network Sundays @ 8.30pm called "Wetin Dey?." Its produced by my organisation - I mean where I work. Watch it and lets talk about Naija.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by muphasa(m): 8:36pm On Apr 11, 2007
It is simple,
look into the picture of your present life,
for it determins your future,
if your are the flame you cant be burn.

Life is what you make of it!
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by muphasa(m): 8:38pm On Apr 11, 2007
It is simple,
look into the picture of your present life,
for it determins your future,
if your are the flame you cant be burn.

Life is what you make of it!
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by charss: 3:23pm On Apr 12, 2007
winkhello house,
Any news about Zenith Bank Test of 26th March,2007?
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by Kashif(m): 9:50am On Apr 13, 2007
Be it pidgin, broken or queen's, what matters is: use them accordingly! It is fun if you can communicate with the 'lingua franca' and your mother tongue fluently. For me, I speak, read and write them with high acceptability grin grin

When I started work, I was really upset with the way my superiors were blowing pidgin and I felt it was well below standard. But when they want to speak queen's english, you discover you are not their match! I mean, if you have never seen them before and you talk to them on phone, you will think they are britons.

I have been to top organisations and seen directors blowing pidgin. The funny thing is that they start even as soon as they are out of the interview room!!

Obasanjo blows it to my admiration. That does not stop him from communicating in standard English. Know what? If you resort to queen's try as much as possible to minimise your errors. Simple. Know where to be queen or area!!

One love all.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by Mustay(m): 6:23pm On Apr 13, 2007
At last post- u don talk am. Just be yourself- writing english is different from speaking it
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by free2ryhme: 4:23am On Apr 16, 2007
guy english na your papa language abeg if you no say u get tribe say am here make u write ur language for here and for another man language una get power. then this omo oshi
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by diyobdw(f): 12:58pm On Apr 17, 2007
darqly:

@ diyo,your sarcasm is swamping the entire forum now. Let's be subtle,
i dont think so.
but any way
next! grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Contract Job With Total (200k) Vs Masters In The Uk: Which Do U Prefer? / Fadac Resources Fresh Job Recruitment (17 Positions) / Phillip Consulting Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.