Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,028 members, 7,818,032 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! (8026 Views)

How I Messed Up Job Interview Today... Please Learn! / Good Morning Nairalanders. Please I Need Your Urgent Help With Driving Job. / Nairalanders Please Help I Need A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by onome02(f): 12:31pm On Apr 24, 2007
Mikkyluv pls calm down ok? Darqly meant well, Darqly pls take it easy, I just want to applaud and appreciate your write up. It has reminded me to keep myself on my toes, wink smiley
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by tipsydude(m): 6:03pm On Apr 26, 2007
[b]@darqly

Guy lets be easy on ourselves in this forum. The idea of a prospective employer searching through this board for candidates to employ is quite absurd. That employer must be set for an uphill task. From where will he/she start? Maybe by posting a topic that reads

"tipsydude, darqly, diyobdw, mustay.

The above listed members of Nairaland have distinguished themselves from the crowd by their impeccable use of both Queen's and Shakespearean English and are hereby invited to the address below for immediate employment. grin"

Let's give ourselves a break here. We all know that can't happen. It would be like what diyobdw pointed out which is : having to dress formal to a night club in case you happen to meet your future employer there.

The essence of using abbreviations, slangs and pidgin in this forum is just to pass a message across in the most jovial manner possible. It keeps the forum lively and creates a very conducive atmosphere for free interaction.

But please we all should have it at the back of our minds that frequent use of pidgin makes one loose grip on the real formal way of speaking English. Though it depends on a lot.

So dudes and ladies nuttin dey paa. flow as u fit flow. u must not be shakespeare before u get a job unless d job na 2 be english prof 4 harvard. grin

no long thing.[/b]
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by onome02(f): 3:06pm On Apr 27, 2007
well said tipsydude i couldnt agree more smiley
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by BIKINI(f): 3:59pm On Apr 29, 2007
@tipsydude
    u be the very man , am with on this.
@mr dargly
no be by force if u no fit read our code apply for lessons from d streets of Nigeria cos this na Niger forum  not  British . So u want to start your come-back with a controversy.
    To begin with, u have completely failed to sell urself to me cos u be "original fake".
With so much oyinbo out there u still want to rob us of the opportunity of being informal on our own forum ?
           i go speak whatever i like because d main aim of language ,as them teach me 4 school, na to effect communication .
       SHIKENA!
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by darqly(m): 5:39pm On Apr 30, 2007
@Bikini- Ahem, Firstly, I think your siggy is tight girl!! Bikini, wow!! Then,I can't understand the conspiracy going on on this forum. Whenever I post strongly-worded replies, Seun always "dilutes" them. But when you guys hurl your missles, they get to me with full force. Your reply is unnecessarily rude, Bikini. What did tipsydude say that you apparently agreed with? As his name goes, he was probabaly "tipsy" while he went through the topic and just picked the one reply that we've all agreed is not possible and started yakking on it over and over again.

Then on me being an "original fake". This one gave me the giggles I tell you. From the little I've read from you, selling myself to you would probably entail " Baby wetin dey shele naw, I for like hold that job ehn??"
This post and all the replies,are diverse opinions- Some agree, some must differ. Cest la vie
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by diyobdw(f): 5:23pm On May 03, 2007
@tipsydude wink
And those who see things differently change your glass/lens grin
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by tipsydude(m): 12:37pm On May 04, 2007
[b]@ darqly

Mr. DARK-ly, I guess you are beginning to show your dark side now. I thought you were man enough to appreciate criticism whenever it comes your way but you are taking it too personal. For pete's sake I would like to refresh your memory that you started out with letting fellow Nairalanders know that you think it would be best that we all post and reply topics in this forum with proper grammar. But it seems that you felt let down by some responses and have now resorted to spitting out insults at people. Your comment - "What did tipsydude say that you apparently agreed with? As his name goes, he was probabaly "tipsy" while he went through the topic and just picked the one reply that we've all agreed is not possible and started yakking on it over and over again." - is quite uncalled for. I do believe that my state of sobriety has nothing to do with what I said previously, and am quite sure that if I was doing anything it sure wasn't "yakking".

I would suggest that you get intouch with Seun so that he could create something like a Shakespeare or Brutus forum for you where you could show the world how educated you are. If the way we talk in this forum is not conducive enough for you then please leave. I would like to ask you something, do you think that you can actually stand up to most of the members who responded to your post in pidgin english when it comes to real English grammar? If you have been under that impression then I suggest you have a rethink.

Well enough of all that. Lets get on with enjoying this forum and making it more of a lobby than a lecture hall.

Like I always say, no long thing.[/b]
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by igboks(m): 6:55pm On May 04, 2007
hi my name is igbokwe chinedu thaddeus i graduated from federal university of technology
owerri imo state with a 2.1 in environmental technology im looking for a job now so i want naira landers to sell me
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by darqly(m): 9:09am On May 07, 2007
@Tipsy,well I didn't choose the screen name for you now did I?? Nonetheless,let me apologise for insinuating that you were not in charge of your faculties as at the time you replied. At the great risk of sounding immodest,let me answer you question. Yes, I can match anybody on this forum and anywhere else when it comes to written and verbal english. It's not something I learned, it's a gift. Believe it or not.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by charssille: 11:33am On Jun 27, 2008
Member of the house, my kudos to everyone.
Do any know the date for immigrations interview for Abia State indigene?
Charles
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by funfavour(f): 9:06pm On Nov 06, 2008
hey i agree with the darylg guy, we should at least speak right, but that doesnt mean we cannot express ourselves, but sms has also made us lazy in our typos, so we kind of shorten words even on the internet and on this board, anyways what i can say is i still sell myself the best way i know how,

get my drift grin
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by olaremint(m): 9:33pm On Nov 09, 2008
@ poster and all standard english fans.nairaland is a forum where people of like minds,hopes and aspirations converge to unwind.its our way of relaxing and spreading the faith that we shall make it,sadly some myopic viewers still view it as an online test and cant let us be,millions of nigerians are unemployed because of warped minds like the poster who have all the certificates in the world but lack the practical skills to translate it into jobs and technological breakthrough.Ever wondered why USA is greater than England and the rest of them,simple they don't give a hoot if you have all the certificates in the world,their motto is if you can do it,come on board,lets take a cue from BILL GATES and MICHEAL DELL and leave ENGLISH FOR THE ENGLISH lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by darqly(m): 7:43pm On Nov 11, 2008
Olaremint, grin
millions of nigerians are unemployed because of warped minds like the poster who have all the certificates in the world but lack the practical skills to translate it into jobs and technological breakthrough.
I seriously doubt your statistics my friend. The only reason millions of Nigerians would be un-employed is if they only "crammed" the book knowledge to pass exams, hence their inability to translate theory into pratical scenarios.

I have just the one degree, all my IT skills are self taught (No false certificates cos I don't need them), I'm on my second job, I earn a six figure salary, I have not flunked an interview yet (Not my doing, God's been good to me). If these are the results of a warped mind, my brother, May I be forever Warped!!

If you're looking for a job, it pays to be as polished as possible. simple.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by funfavour(f): 2:22pm On Nov 12, 2008

I have just the one degree, all my IT skills are self taught (No false certificates because I don't need them), I'm on my second job, I earn a six figure salary, I have not flunked an interview yet (Not my doing, God's been good to me). If these are the results of a warped mind, my brother, May I be forever Warped!

hmmmm brainy here, thats good i support you, i will also get the six figure job soon with my own skills, with good english grammer lol grin
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by enurayce: 2:42pm On Nov 12, 2008
DO U KNOW THAT IGNORANCE THESE DAYS IS NO EXCUSE.WHY WASTE ALL UR TIME ONLINE FILLING FORMS WHEN U CAN DO OTHER THINGS AT THE SAME TIME.DO U KNOW THAT PEOPLE MAKE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS ONLINE EACH DOING LEGITIMATE BUSINESS?DO U KNOW THAT U TOO CAN BE A PART OF THIS?ITS SIMPLE JOIN FOR ABSOLUTELY FREE TODAY THE WORLDS LARGEST AND HIGHLY REWARDING AFFILIATE PROGRAM.I GOT IT FOR FREE AND U TOO CAN,MAKE REAL ONLINE MONEY ABSOLUTELY FREE.
GOODLUCK
ITS JUST A CLICK AWAY:
http://www.quickinfo247.com/10418659.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by sentix(m): 5:15pm On Nov 12, 2008
Hi,
Want to learn the secret of making money both online and offline.
I rarely leave my house these days anymore. It is true you just need to know what to do
send me a mail to learn more
sentix2k@gmail.com
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by Nobody: 1:18pm On Nov 15, 2008
YOU HAVE A POINT THERE.I TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YOU IN ORDER  FOR US TO GET TO WHERE WE WANT TO JUST HAVE TO DO THE RIGHT THING  wink
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by solowealth(m): 1:11am On Nov 20, 2008
:d
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by probsolver: 5:57am On Dec 23, 2008
[b][/b]I LOVE THAT PIECE, THAT'S JUST IT FELLOW NAIRALANDERS LET IMBIBE ATTITUDE OF SELLING OURSELVES.
SEE U ALL AT THE TOP
MORE OF THAT
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by udokpuenyi(m): 10:39am On Dec 24, 2008
Maybe , Seun has to divide this forum into two: one group for pidgin english writers and the other for grammarians. Though I studied in far east village but I am used to good english at least with little typo once in a while. I believe the person that raised this issue made a vital point. Let us justify the hard earned money our parents used in training us in school. We need to continue learning.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by creationxt(m): 9:32pm On Dec 30, 2008
I really took some time to go through all these posts and wonder how good can be twisted to something else.
dargly is absolutely right, you become what you practise more. If you can maintain a dual identity good for you but communication becomes subconscious after a while.

Good English always is great; sell yourself always, even when you're off gurad. If you know everything it is only what you show others that they will believe you have.
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by brazillian: 10:42am On Feb 04, 2009
It would be great if we all understand that we are what we do continually and writing speaking and even thinking should be done in the right way, only then can we be seen as the way we ought to seen.

Thanks Darbs, this is a nice thread which u initiated and more power to your elbow!
Re: Nairalanders, Please Learn To Sell Yourselves! by solajacobs(m): 8:22am On Feb 11, 2009
Welldone men,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fadac Resources Fresh Job Recruitment (17 Positions) / Phillip Consulting Aptitude Test / ICT Helpdesk Technicians Needed At WHO Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.