Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,305 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

(SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). (3879 Views)

Auto Gurus Help With P0015 And P0012 Errors / 2001 Toyota Camry Timing Belt Issues / 5 Causes Of Timing Chain Noise In Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

(SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 6:07pm On Apr 09, 2018
I have a 2010 corolla with poor acceleration and rough idle. The codes alternate from P0012 and P0014(ironically opposite codes.... Over advanced
timing and sometimes over re tard-d timing. It is a 2010 corolla 1.8 2ZR FE engine).
previous change of gasket by the previous owner couldnt be ruled out.
So far.
Both OCVs open when 12v is applied to them although the resistance across each is more than 10ohms as against 7.9ohms specified by toyota
i ve changed the exhaust oil control valve .....not helpful.( couldnt get the intake OCV)
Resetting or erasing the codes from ECU gives temporary solution, as it behaves almost normally until the codes reoccur.

Auto gurus pls.

Please help.
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by AutoElectNG: 6:20pm On Apr 09, 2018
Vehicle history before this codes popped up?

Sounds more mechanical than electrical something to do with the Variable Camshaft Timing and the associated solenoid not working according to specification

Location?
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 6:23pm On Apr 09, 2018
I just acquired it, that is the problem, but there is a sign suggestive of previous replacement of top gasket. . .
AutoElectNG:
Vehicle history before this codes popped up?

Sounds more mechanical than electrical something to do with the Variable Camshaft Timing and the associated solenoid not working according to specification

Location?
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by AutoElectNG: 6:29pm On Apr 09, 2018
Just curious....What kind of oil do you use?
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 7:00pm On Apr 09, 2018
Total 5000 planning to change to synthetic i am afraid of complications with abrupt change.
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 7:01pm On Apr 09, 2018
com1234:
Total 5000 ....though planning to change to synthetic i am afraid of complications with abrupt change.
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by AutoElectNG: 7:08pm On Apr 09, 2018
com1234:
Total 5000 planning to change to synthetic i am afraid of complications with abrupt change.

10w40?

How many miles since last oil/filter change?
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 7:11pm On Apr 09, 2018
AutoElectNG:

10w40?

How many miles since last oil/filter change?
. I changed it 2 weeks ago, i ve not really travelled since then....so less than 500. It still appears clean.
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by AutoElectNG: 7:16pm On Apr 09, 2018
com1234:
. I changed it 2 weeks ago, i ve not really travelled since then....so less than 500. It still appears clean.

Is that the first usage of 10w40? By the way wrong oil viscosity is just one possibility there are others....only physical inspection will zero in on the actual cause.
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 7:24pm On Apr 09, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Is that the first usage of 10w40? By the way wrong oil viscosity is just one possibility there are others....only physical inspection will zero in on the actual cause.

No. That is what the previous owner has been using.
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by AutoElectNG: 8:06pm On Apr 09, 2018
com1234:

No. That is what the previous owner has been using.

That could cause this...wrong oil viscosity run long enough
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by mayor2013: 8:40pm On Apr 09, 2018
Wrong oil problem. Any unusual noise at cold start or hot start
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by oluwaseunla(m): 8:59pm On Apr 09, 2018
Total quartz 5000 is actually 20W-50. OP, hope you don't have sludge inside that engine.
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 10:14pm On Apr 09, 2018
mayor2013:
Wrong oil problem. Any unusual noise at cold start or hot start

Occasional jiggling (as if one is holding keys) at start up.

AutoElectNG:

That could cause this...wrong oil viscosity run long enough
Any recommendation for the wrong oil issue? I.e the way forward.

Can other causes like sludges, faulty solenoid and wrong oil viscosity make the timing chain not to be aligned? Cos i am planning to get a mechanic to help me check the timing and also the presence of sludges.
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by mayor2013: 2:07am On Apr 10, 2018
com1234:

Can other causes like sludges, faulty solenoid and wrong oil viscosity make the timing chain not to be aligned? Cos i am planning to get a mechanic to help me check the timing and also the presence of sludges.

Check for sludge first by opening valve cover. Are you sure you are not the engineer handling this job
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by AutoElectNG: 4:00am On Apr 10, 2018
com1234:

Given your question about the way forward and not linking wrong oil to sludge, please take the time to go through this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3842959/need-professional-advice-n-mechanic

Like I said before to pin it down on wrong oil, a physical inspection as suggested by the poster immediately above is the way to go
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 3:55pm On Apr 10, 2018
mayor2013:

Check for sludge first by opening valve cover. Are you sure you are not the engineer handling this job

I dont have the tools but i wont mind trying if its safe o.

Nevertheless i ve fixed tomorrow with the mechanic, i ll try nd snap d pics. Thanks
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 3:58pm On Apr 10, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Given your question about the way forward and not linking wrong oil to sludge, please take the time to go through this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3842959/need-professional-advice-n-mechanic

Like I said before to pin it down on wrong oil, a physical inspection as suggested by the poster immediately above is the way to go
thanks i followed the link and read the whole thread and links in it.
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 4:01pm On Apr 10, 2018
I will be checking the timing with the mechanic tomorrow , i will also inspect for sludges on the valve cover as said above.

Please .....on ensuring the timing is well set any tips.

@gazzuzz,@kingreign,@autoElectNG, @mayor2013 , @cardoctor, @9icetoo, @nissparts
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by AutoElectNG: 4:12pm On Apr 10, 2018
Please contact me on WhatsApp
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by AutoElectNG: 4:14pm On Apr 10, 2018
com1234:
thanks i followed the link and read the whole thread and links in it.

It is my personal opinion that an informed driver makes the work of modern automotive technician easier.

It has been my pleasure to help you
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by Inception(m): 5:21pm On Apr 10, 2018
there is an OCV strainer on that engine. locate it and clean it.

it is usually at either the alternator end or power steering pump end on the engine block.

another issue may be that timing has not been set properly.
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 7:16pm On Apr 10, 2018
Inception:
there is an OCV strainer on that engine. locate it and clean it.

it is usually at either the alternator end or power steering pump end on the engine block.

another issue may be that timing has not been set properly.

I ve been searching for the location of the OCV strainer for the past 30 mins.
Please any one with picture of the location / how to get to it should help. (Corolla 2009-2012)
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by foleyankee(m): 10:04pm On Apr 10, 2018
Okay this the problem the camshaft sensors connectors a and b they have been interchanged try switching the wire's it happened to me
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 8:54pm On Aug 30, 2018
UPDATE: the problem was solved using :
the factory repair manual,
the inputs here
and DIY guide by other notable car talk gurus.

The Camshaft gears were kazeemed to be fixed so they were unable to reta. rd and advance when necessary. I replaced them and the problem vanished.

I waited several months because i wanted to be very very sure.

Thank you all for your inputs.

2 Likes

Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by Showboyz: 10:57pm On Aug 08, 2020
@com1234

Please boss. I have that problem too. After my intake and exhaust camgear changed due because of rattling sound on cold start. Since then have been experienced p0014.. pls share me your number sir.

What should I do?
Which mechanic you used sir.
Goldencrownmotors@gmail.com
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 8:31am On Aug 09, 2020
You can whatsapp me using the number attached to my profile signature below this post. Alternatively you can drop your whatsapp number i will contact you.

1 Like

Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by lawlified: 9:24pm On Jan 31, 2023
com1234:
UPDATE: the problem was solved using :
the factory repair manual,
the inputs here
and DIY guide by other notable car talk gurus.

The Camshaft gears were kazeemed to be fixed so they were unable to reta. rd and advance when necessary. I replaced them and the problem vanished.

I waited several months because i wanted to be very very sure.

Thank you all for your inputs.

Hello boss. P0014 is one of the codes my car is displaying. I’m not sure I understand how you fixed it. Please help

1 Like

Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by oweniwe(m): 5:53pm On Feb 01, 2023
Showboyz:
@com1234

Please boss. I have that problem too. After my intake and exhaust camgear changed due because of rattling sound on cold start. Since then have been experienced p0014.. pls share me your number sir.

What should I do?
Which mechanic you used sir.
Goldencrownmotors@gmail.com

GAZZUZZ:
you startup a modern day vehicle from cold start, it rattles for a few secs (kakakakakakakakakakaa) then noise goes away like nothing happened. No performance issues, no noise. But when ever vehicle stands still inactive for about 5-6hrs and you startup again, you have the startup rattle.

If you have this problem, it is almost certain you have a defective VTC actuator.

VTC stands for Variable Timing control, As engine rpm builds, the VTC actuator - controlled by the engine computer that monitors cam position, ignition timing, exhaust emission and throttle position - advances or retards the intake cam throughout a range , optimizing engine output and reducing emissions.

So in summary, the intake camshaft is not static, but variable.

When defective it rattles for a few secs until a buildup of oil pressure keeps it stable, so basically it's inability to hold oil makes it rattle for a few seconds.

Causes of this defect could arise from the use of wrong oil grades (20w50 people unna weldone) and Defect in production.

Now here's the interesting part of this topic.

Once in a while I used to receive vehicles with very quite engines but re.tarded or advanced timing error codes on the engine computer, after advanced diagnosis we would notice that the intake VTC cam was welded firmly in place angry it was very common in the corrolas with the 2zr engines, and the honda with the K24Z engines, the symptoms exhibited were a terrible loss of power and correlation codes on timing.

So now that you know, before you buy that Nigerian used car, if you notice any funny timing codes and a previously breached timing cover just know that VTC might be welded in 1 position.

Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by com1234: 1:26pm On Feb 04, 2023
lawlified:

Hello boss. P0014 is one of the codes my car is displaying. I’m not sure I understand how you fixed it. Please help

oweniwe:

As stated above, it is usually due to a faulty actuator or camshaft gear in most cases.
If you have a good mechanic, it is simple to solve. I am not based in lagos so unfortunately i can't recommend any.
It is possible that the " new/ replaced" camshaft gear is also faulty.
You should also check that the timing chains are set appropriately. ( I observed that average mechanics get the 2ZR timing wrongly set easily).

Other things that can cause the code to appear....

Incorrect Camshaft Timing
Faulty camshaft timing control solenoid
Failed VVT or VCT solenoid
Clogged oil lines( from oil sludge) to the VVT or VCT solenoid
Low Engine Oil
Low oil pressure
A faulty camshaft position sensor
Faulty crankshaft positions sensor
Damaged wirings
Faulty Timing Chain or Timing Belt
Faulty Timing Tensioner

My suggestion.

Get a good mechanic that understands 2ZR engines.
In case cant achieve the above or you want to try DIY then :

*Check and see if the timing chain is set appropriately ( There are coloured marks on the chain that are used to set this)

*Do active test with techstream software ( if you have one) to check the camshaft gear functions or simply replace the camshaft gears with a good one.
*For sludged engines... Don't forget to clean the oil strainer.
Re: (SOLVED)Help With P0012 And P0014 ( Over RE -TARDED And Advance Timing). by lawlified: 7:55am On Feb 06, 2023
com1234:

As stated above, it is usually due to a faulty actuator or camshaft gear in most cases.
If you have a good mechanic, it is simple to solve. I am not based in lagos so unfortunately i can't recommend any.
It is possible that the " new/ replaced" camshaft gear is also faulty.
You should also check that the timing chains are set appropriately. ( I observed that average mechanics get the 2ZR timing wrongly set easily).

Other things that can cause the code to appear....

Incorrect Camshaft Timing
Faulty camshaft timing control solenoid
Failed VVT or VCT solenoid
Clogged oil lines( from oil sludge) to the VVT or VCT solenoid
Low Engine Oil
Low oil pressure
A faulty camshaft position sensor
Faulty crankshaft positions sensor
Damaged wirings
Faulty Timing Chain or Timing Belt
Faulty Timing Tensioner

My suggestion.

Get a good mechanic that understands 2ZR engines.
In case cant achieve the above or you want to try DIY then :

*Check and see if the timing chain is set appropriately ( There are coloured marks on the chain that are used to set this)

*Do active test with techstream software ( if you have one) to check the camshaft gear functions or simply replace the camshaft gears with a good one.
*For sludged engines... Don't forget to clean the oil strainer.

Thanks so much boss. Much appreciated

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help Choose Toyota Camry 2008 And Honda CRV 2008 / .. / Is Olist A Reliable Site To Buy Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.