Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse (11545 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Distributes Transistor Radios / COVID-19: Taraba Government Rejects 100 Almajiris From Nasarawa State / Rivers Government Rejects RUGA Settlements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Blue3k(m): 10:58pm On Apr 09, 2018
The Akwa Ibom State government has said that the pastor whose church building collapsed and killed 27 people in the state in 2016 is not culpable of any crime.

The tragic incident occurred during the consecration ceremony of the founder and pastor of Reigners Bible Church, Uyo, Akan Weeks, as a bishop.

The church building was still under construction when it caved in.

Thirty-seven people were injured, while additional number of people died later from injuries.

The state Governor, Udom Emmanuel, who was one of the guests at the church ceremony, narrowly escaped unhurt.

The state government, in a white paper released on Monday, rejected the pastor’s indictment by the commission of inquiry it set up to investigate the incident.

The commission, headed by a retired judge, Umoekoyo Essang, said in its report that the pastor’s “undue interference” in the construction work led to the collapse of the church building.

“His (Mr Week) adamant posture of unbridled impunity as the Founder/General Overseer of Reigners Bible Church led to the unfortunate incident of 10 December, 2016,” the commission had said in the report.

The commission said the church didn’t get government permit for the building construction and that the construction work was rushed with impunity to have the event take place in an uncompleted building site.

The state government in rejecting the recommendation of the commission, said: “Facts available indicate that Apostle (Dr.) Akan Weeks relied on the professionals he engaged.

“It is the obligation of the professionals to execute due care and skill in the discharge of their duties or resign where they are not allowed to do so.”

The government also rejected the commission’s report that the Uyo Capital City Development Authority (UCCDA) was remotely responsible for the building collapse for failing to stop the construction work after issuing a ‘stop work’ order.

But the government, however, accepted the commission’s recommendation that the head of planning at the UCCDA, Effiong Akpan, should be punished by the agency.

Two persons who were involved in the building construction is to be prosecuted by the state’s Ministry of Justice for their culpability, according to the white paper.

The building collapse, the white paper said, was due to unprofessionalism and negligence.

A human right lawyer from the state, Inibehe Effiong, while reacting to the release of the white paper, accused Governor Emmanuel of “shielding” the pastor, Mr Weeks, whom he said is the governor’s friend.

“Udom Emmanuel is a friend of Akan Weeks and was physically present during the consecration event when the building collapsed.

“We should remember that the governor himself rode to power on the blood of innocent Akwa Ibom people and does not have respect for human life. This explains why the government has fraudulently exonerated the principal culprit of the building collapse, Akan Weeks.

“Since the government has rejected the findings and recommendations relating to Akan Weeks and the UCCDA, why should any other person be prosecuted? If Akan Weeks, the principal culprit, is not liable despite being indicted by the Commission of Inquiry, why should any other person be held liable?

“Selective justice is also fraudulent justice, and fraudulent justice is not and will never be justice,” Mr Effiong said in a statement he emailed to PREMIUM TIMES, Monday.

The government, which appeared reluctant initially to issue a white paper on the report, came under increasing pressure from the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC) and human right campaigners.

The release of the white paper came few weeks after Mr Effiong threatened to sue the government for it.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/264464-akwa-ibom-govt-rejects-pastors-indictment-in-deadly-church-collapse.html

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Blue3k(m): 12:15am On Apr 10, 2018
Akwa Ibom state government is currupt to the eyeballs. There statement don't even make sense. The Uyo Capital City Development Authority not remotely responsible for not enforcing their stop order yet the head of UCCDA should be punished. How can the pastor be absolved of responsibility for death of congregation if he received stop order for construction.

14 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by ubongokon(m): 7:36am On Apr 10, 2018
I hope i wont be band if i say whats ryt,
udom is a problem to us all here, a very corrupt and bais element. Knowing his rejection by d masses he resolves into paying sycophants to endorse him for 2019. I know God will deliver us from his shackle

5 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by three: 8:11am On Apr 10, 2018
Does the Akwa Ibom Governor/Government know something we don't?

You set up a Commission of Inquiry with specific terms but now you know better than them?

End of the Day Akwa Ibom State Government is culpable for the deaths and should take responsibility.

Lives were lost and there is no shame only recrimination. Is nothing sacred? Are lives not sacred in Akwa Ibom?

Who approved the building Plans? Who superintended the Construction? Is there no government in Akwa Ibom?

PEOPLE DIED!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by obailala(m): 8:23am On Apr 10, 2018
There goes the reason why the black world cannot be great, and will remain a shithole. A big man can never be punished in our part of the world! And as long as no one ever gets punished in situations like these, it's a guarantee that it will happen again.

8 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Omololu2121: 8:29am On Apr 10, 2018
If this happened in the south west, some mumu no go let person hear word

Mtcheww

4 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Sarang(f): 9:20am On Apr 10, 2018
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Please see my signature

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by teemanbastos(m): 9:21am On Apr 10, 2018
Really.
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by twilliamx(m): 9:22am On Apr 10, 2018
Is the pastor the engineer so why should he be indicted,
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Okoyeebos: 9:23am On Apr 10, 2018
Unfortunately, no justice for those killed as a result of negligence.

Maybe if the Governor had died in the building collapse, things would have been different.

3 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Okoyeebos: 9:23am On Apr 10, 2018
twilliamx:

Ask TB Joshua who was dragged for his collapsed building

Ask Richard Nyong of Lekki Gardens who is presently being prosecuted for his Lekki Gardens building collapse.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by GoggleB(m): 9:24am On Apr 10, 2018
Do you guys think man city can qualify today?
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Nobody: 9:24am On Apr 10, 2018
There is no need indicting the Pastor.

The God they are worshiping in that church should be blamed for allowing his abode collapse on his very own worshipers.

I use to think he was the "I am that I am" as they usually say

If you are not safe right infront of his altar, then you cant be safe anywhere. grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 10, 2018
kukutagbe:
You can get rich without any ritual, that you can
get rich without killing your mother, father,
brother, sister, uncle or a poor child on the
street. It is real and don't have any side effect.
Try it now and see. Baba has been preaching the gospel of getting rich quick, flaunting different currencies starched ,do not take counsel from the realm of poverty. Take that bold step to your
world of riches. Call baba 08136575346 and state what you want and how you
want it. The solution is at your door step. Don't hid sickness or your problems, say
it out and it will be solve, you have anything to share call baba +2348136575346
For the solution of
problems....yahoo+.......help of students...........traveling
issues.......eyes problems.........broken bones.......infertility.....bringing back your lost love.......business promotion....... Power to win elections........ Spiritual husband/wife......family curses....... Land issues.........witch craft attack...... Etc.
hehehehehehe, I want to be like bill gate in next two weeks can your baba do it for me?

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Sirpaul(m): 9:25am On Apr 10, 2018
He came to you and said "its like my phone is missing, help me flash it'... You dialed his number and the thing ring for his pocket...

Welcome to Nigeria

My sister you just gave him your number

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by doyouknowjohnny: 9:28am On Apr 10, 2018
ubongokon:
I hope i wont be band if i say whats ryt,
udom is a problem to us all here, a very corrupt and bais element. Knowing his rejection by d masses he resolves into paying sycophants to endorse him for 2019. I know God will deliver us from his shackle
you won't be "band" my brother..You can't be band lie lie
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by 400billionman: 9:29am On Apr 10, 2018
Chai corruption

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by MissRaine69(f): 9:32am On Apr 10, 2018
How can an inquiry be impartial if it involves people who have vested interests?
You can’t investigate yourself and come up with an outcome that is not beneficial to you?
A structurally sound building regardless of state does not collapse on its own. A building that has flaws will

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by MissRaine69(f): 9:33am On Apr 10, 2018
Sirpaul:
He came to you and said "its like my phone is missing, help me flash it'... You dialed his number and the thing ring for his pocket...

Welcome to Nigeria

My sister you just gave him your number
No I did not
My number was withheld wink

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Imeyo1(m): 9:33am On Apr 10, 2018
Each time I remember this incident.... I feel so Disappointed with council of Engineers, safety experts, DSS (because they shd hv assessed the event venue if it's suitable as in safe enough for the Governor to attend) and finally Uyo capital development agency has disappointed their government, it's an average man's building they can demolish or stop but a building dat is to house thousands in hours could not be properly assessed.....

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by sekundosekundo: 9:33am On Apr 10, 2018
twilliamx:

"Essang, said in its report that the pastor’s “undue interference” in the construction work led to the collapse of the church building"

Undue interference means that the pastor didn't allow the engineer(s) to carry out their work as it suppose to be. Maybe he want to cut cost.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by mmsen: 9:35am On Apr 10, 2018
No one in Nigeria wants to hold people who hide behind religion to account.

If they did the prisons would be full of the likes of TB Joshua, Pastor Weeks and the other fraudsters who engage in weekly displays of 419 and worse.

3 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by victorazyvictor(m): 9:36am On Apr 10, 2018
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by victorazyvictor(m): 9:37am On Apr 10, 2018
mmsen:
No one in Nigeria wants to hold people who hide behind religion to account.

If they did the prisons would be full of the likes fo TB Joshua, Pastor Weeks and the other fraudsters who engage in weekly displays of 419 and worse.

Buhari come and carry a cow....

When has pastor become engineer that he should be hold responsible for building collapse in Nigeria grin

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by maasoap(m): 9:38am On Apr 10, 2018
twilliamx:

He received "stop work" order but he didn't comply as the owner or man in charge of the project.

4 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Buffalowings3(m): 9:44am On Apr 10, 2018
Omololu2121:
If this happened in the south west, some mumu no go let person hear word

Mtcheww

Erm what about that synagogue undecided
Has anyone been sued undecided undecided

Meanwhile
Spits on the grave of those who died angry angry
Your lives got cut short
In death, justice still eluded you guys. embarassed

You see ur life sad
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Sirpaul(m): 9:59am On Apr 10, 2018
lol indeed
MissRaine69:

No I did not
My number was withheld wink
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Olorioba23: 10:13am On Apr 10, 2018
Hnmmmm
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Rejects Pastor Akan Weeks' Indictment In Church Collapse by Codes151(m): 12:13pm On Apr 10, 2018
After he was call himself a deacon...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Advises Consensus Option At APC National Convention / Boko Haram Kills 7 In Kuruburu, Borno Village / Uguru Usani Was Indicted For Fraud In Cross River (Documents Attached)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.