Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,596 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Nigerian Senate Rowdy After Lawmaker Says Buhari is ‘incompetent’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Senate Rowdy After Lawmaker Says Buhari is ‘incompetent’ (467 Views)

Lawmaker Throws Microphone At Keyamo During 774,000 Jobs Rowdy Committee Meeting / Ango Abdullahi: Buhari’s Major Problem Is Incompetent And Selfish Lieutenants / Akeredolu: "Oshiomhole Is Incompetent, Shouldn't Be APC Chairman" (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Nigerian Senate Rowdy After Lawmaker Says Buhari is ‘incompetent’ by LivingBetter: 7:33pm On Apr 12, 2018
The Senate was thrown into a rowdy session on Thursday after a Senator, Enyinnaya Abaribe, lashed out at President Muhammadu Buhari, describing him as ‘incompetent.’

Mr Abaribe had come under order 43 to discuss the issue of insecurity in Nigeria but his submission threw the chamber into chaos.

The senator in March criticised President Buhari for constantly denying responsibility when things go wrong.

“A few days ago, in this chamber we talked about the security of Nigeria,” he said. “I recall that on the matter of herdsmen versus farmers, two explanations were given by highly ranked security personnel in the country. First of all, the Inspector General of Police said that these killings were as a result of laws being passed by states. Secondly, the Defence Minister said these killings were as a result of the blockage of grazing routes. And we continued to look at all these explanations.

“Yesterday, in London, the Commander-in-Chief and President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari said that these killings were as a result of the people who were trained by the late Muammar Gaddafi, implying that these people who are doing these killings in Nigeria are invaders from outside of Nigeria. And if he even said they are invaders, what it means is that it validates my last point that when a commander-in-chief says he cannot take care of invaders, why is he still a commander-in-chief?

“Why do we still continue to indulge this president that everywhere goes along to tell everybody outside this country that he is totally incompetent? Because it’s is obvious…”. He was cut short by the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, as senators, mostly from the ruling APC, reacted.

"You can’t finish, you can’t finish,” they shouted suggesting to the Senate Presdent not to allow Mr Abaribe continue his speech.

After a partial restoration of order, Senate Leader, Ahmed Lawan, cautioned Mr Abaribe and asked him to withdraw his statement.

“The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is the leader of this country and deserves the respect and courtesy of this chamber and those of us in it. I was once a member of the opposition and I do not recall ever calling (out) the then president or insult(ing) him. This is our institution. If we do not conduct ourselves with respect, nobody will. I want to ask my colleague to immediately withdraw his statement and apologise to this chamber,” he said.
But an irate Mr Abaribe refused to withdraw the statement, leading to more anger from the other senators who insisted he did so.

The chamber was again chaotic for several minutes as protests from APC senators continued.

It took the intervention of Mr Saraki to make Mr Abaribe withdraw the statement partially.

“I am very well guided by you but and I say Mr President that there are words that there are no alternatives to. What I did was to interpret the words by Mr President in London and I juxtaposed it with the explanations here. What it tells me is that there is a conflict.
If any word I used is misunderstood by anyone, I apologise. All I am saying is simple. The heads of security in Nigeria made several explanations for the killings of our citizens and there is a dis…”

After another rowdy session, the Deputy Senate Leader, Ibn Na’Allah, coming under sections Order 53 and 54 said Mr Abaribe ”was not in order for tabling an issue that deals with Mr President without raising a substantive motion”.

“The issue is you cannot even raise any issue regarding the conduct of the president,” he said.

The point of order was sustained while the commotion continued.

More details later…

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/264779-nigerian-senate-rowdy-after-lawmaker-says-buhari-incompetent.html
Re: Nigerian Senate Rowdy After Lawmaker Says Buhari is ‘incompetent’ by Mynd44: 7:38pm On Apr 12, 2018

(1)

Pdp Divides In Rivers State As Ward 8 Disagree On Candidate Selection / Nigerian Churches, Banks Are More Corrupt Than The Government - Falana(video) / Reject Theresa May’s Speech On Same-sex Marriage – MSSN Tells Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.