Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC (8106 Views)

Struggles After NYSC ... (Welcome To The Real World) - Meme Collection / How Beneficial Are These Courses Corps Members Are Enticed To Take, After NYSC? / Did Your Relationship Survive After NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 10:28pm On Apr 14, 2018
grin grin

I think this is the right time to share this so that prospective corps members will use their service year to change their life.

Introduction
Life after school is unique, people go through different things and our parents respond to our new level differently. While some parents are understanding, others see a graduate as an automatic ticket to make money. There is therefore great pressure that graduates face upon graduation. Nigeria is indeed a funny country and you can't trust on what Nigeria will do for you. I doubt if Nigeria will do anything for you than to break your heart.

NYSC is the only window between graduation and labour market. Whether you call it labour or favour market, the truth is that it is labour market, I am sure you know how and why. Nigeria isn't smiling at all, therefore, you must serve your country in a smart way. When you get to camp and you start struggling for irrelevances, then you are tying your life to the average life of an ordinary Nigerian.

In Camp
I am this type of person that do things in a smart way. It comes naturally and I tend to get it right at all times. Can't think of when I have gotten it wrong anyway. So in camp, I didn't struggle for anything. I realized that when you are given the platoon leader, CDS leader and other camp leadership positions, you will so commit yourself that you won't have the time to prepare for the large world. So in camp, I do all things yet, I never struggled to lead any group. I don't know for you but then, I would advise you to take your time off some of these positions as they will end up distracting you from the main focus.

After camp, I was posted to Kano State Polytechnic, where I was made the CLO. The LI so much liked me that she made me the local government CLO too. So I was posted to two different places: Kano State Polytechnic and Gwale Local Government. Lol. While in taking this position, I handled it smartly.

Taking camp leadership position doesn't pay. Being the CLO will only make you look like an activist, more like students politics. To me, it's irrelevant. None of them contributed to my glory. You will soon know why and how.

As the CLO, I was very smart, I changed a whole lot of things in Kano State Polytechnic and Gwale Local government. I went to many places, met the rector anytime I wanted, and several other things. One of the hardest thing to do is to lead a group of Nigerian graduates. Their entropy level is at it's peak.

1 Like

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by JerryLegend(m): 10:39pm On Apr 14, 2018
shocked
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 10:40pm On Apr 14, 2018
How it all Started

As the CLO, I commanded much power. When being threatened in the polytechnic, my CLO position in the local government would cover me. I do my clearance without being cleared in the polytechnic. My HOD has this pride in him. He loves to be worshiped and he made us look for him always to sign the clearance form. As a Corper lecturer, I fixed my lectures on Wednesdays and Saturdays. grin grin grin grin I needed the other days to change my life. I often visit Federal College of Education Kano for an hour meditation during my service days. While others paid attention to ladies and female corpers, I paid more attention to something that changed how I see myself and how people now see me. lol Back to my HOD issue. A Ph.D holder, this man is so proud that he told me how much he bought his car and how much he's paid monthly. So when he starts doing shakara during the clearance period, I will just ignore him. I was so powerful that even the LI calls me Powerful CLO. As long as you are a human being, I will subdue you and achieve my goals.

So during this period, a friend had an issue in his PPA (Place of Primary Assignment) and he needed help getting a new PPA. I promised working him into the polytechnic and I did it. To cut the story short, he introduced me to the world of freelancing. Before then, I was already writing short articles on nairaland. Non fetched me money. I wrote my NYSC experience in Kano state, I think it currently have 76k viewers. All I needed in the freelancing world was to polish myself and get it done for money.

Kano State polytechnic pays 2k, local government does not pay, so with 19800 + 2k = I was a certified broke guy.

2 Likes

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by Chemike16(m): 10:42pm On Apr 14, 2018
Continue sir
Am still a kano Corper batch b 17
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 10:47pm On Apr 14, 2018
The real gist

So after helping my friend get into the polytechnic. He told me on that faithful sunday in on hotel at Sabon Gari as we sat in front of some plates of fish, meat, and Guiness stout how he make on average N70k monthly. Well, I thought this wasn't possible, but I was before the person who earns such just with his laptop. As a smart guy, I decided to go into it.

I had a laptop and an Android phone. They were all used to download movies and the latest series. I used Airtel unlimited every midnight. They was light, I had a laptop, and a phone. Basically, I had everything I needed to earn money, yet, I lacked the knowledge. My friend was so comfortable that he spends money anyhow. He does this because he knows that more will still come.

He advised me to leave all these sections of nairaland and get into nairaland business section. Before then, I haven't visited that section, in fact, I didn't know what was happening there. Having been told to make it my landing page, I adhered strictly to the rules. I started visiting that section looking for people with fiverr outsourced work.

I met those that paid and those that cheated me too. Well, I met one guy, and he hired me. I started writing his outsourced work and that was how I never knew what 19800 till I finished service. For the first month, I made N60k, next N70k, N80k, N70k, and N50k. While writing for him, I created a fiverr account and as a newbie on fiverr, it's very hard to get started. I was resilient, I knew I had some cash to make on fiverr.
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 10:58pm On Apr 14, 2018
We passed out April 7th 2017.

POP is always a day of mixed feeling. The joy of successfully completing the service year and the sad feeling of being welcomed to the labour market. After PoP, no more allowee. Well, I finished in glory, I came out of service having about N400k saved. Well, I didn't know my success story just began.

In May, I got my first fiverr client having waited for 3 months. The joy of getting orders on fiverr is synonymous to the joy you have when you get an A in a course. Fiverr started making me smile every week. I was fully on fiverr, everything about me was fiverr. I was there fully determined to bring back some dollars to help this dying country. Since I started writing for myself and my boss, I never sent CV to any company. But I did a CV by recommendation on Decembr 2016. Since they didn't call, I focused all my energy on fiverr. It was paying, and I was enjoying the whole experience.

July 2017, three months after Passing out, I was doing my fiverr project when I got a call from the company I was recommended to in 2016. The MD called and asked what I was currently doing, I quickly told him fiverr. I explained what it's about and he demanded for what I have done on fiverr. Well, the projects I did on fiverr showed I was smart and I was hired for the job. It's not a N100k job cheesy cheesy, its way above.

I never gave up fiverr, I continued and I have made over $8k on fiverr. That's over N3m. Currently, I earn more than a level 14 Federal worker from fiverr. grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by Nobody: 11:02pm On Apr 14, 2018
Congratulations

But why are you just shinning teeth anyhow

1 Like

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by youngsahito(m): 11:04pm On Apr 14, 2018
mrphysics:
We passed out April 7th 2017.

POP is always a day of mixed feeling. The joy of successfully completing the service year and the sad feeling of being welcomed to the labour market. After PoP, no more allowee. Well, I finished in glory, I came out of service having about N400k saved. Well, I didn't know my success story just began.

In May, I got my first fiverr client having waited for 3 months. The joy of getting orders on fiverr is synonymous to the joy you have when you get an A in a course. Fiverr started making me smile every week. I was fully on fiverr, everything about me was fiverr. I was there fully determined to bring back some dollars to help this dying country. Since I started writing for myself and my boss, I never sent CV to any company. But I did a CV by recommendation on Decembr 2016. Since they didn't call, I focused all my energy on fiverr. It was paying, and I was enjoying the whole experience.

July 2017, three months after Passing out, I was doing my fiverr project when I got a call from the company I was recommended to in 2016. The MD called and asked what I was currently doing, I quickly told him fiverr. I explained what it's about and he demanded for what I have done on fiverr. Well, the projects I did on fiverr showed I was smart and I was hired for the job. It's not a N100k job cheesy cheesy, its way above.

I never gave up fiverr, I continued and I have made over $8k on fiverr. That's over N3m. Currently, I earn more than a level 14 Federal worker from fiverr. grin grin grin
wow! congrat bro. I am also a corp member who is interested in the fiverr project.
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 11:06pm On Apr 14, 2018
The lesson

To some people, NYSC is a sex year. Before going for service, they already know they are there to use their uniform to get free/cheap sex. Well, those things never move me. Money has been the source of my orgasm.

To some persons, the only skill they can learn is baking, and tailoring. Well, it's cool but this is 21st century, you need some digital skills. Ladies are always victims of "i am learning tailoring, I can bake, etc".

It's good you are on nairaland, it will be best when you learn how to earn in nairaland. Just visit romance section and see the kind of debate and argument going on there. While people are on business section earning and learning how to diversify their income. Its very possible to earn more than 100k during NYSC. Do not let your life start after NYSC. Do not go to NYSC purposeless.

While in camp, one of the NYSC official will always tell us during our daily morning devotion "What is in your hands for God to bless, God cannot bless nothing"

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 11:12pm On Apr 14, 2018
Everyday, I receive loads of PMs from nairalanders, people from business section who wants to be guided on how to make money.
Well, I don't respond to emails, I am always busy.

The purpose of this thread isn't to get people asking me to teach them about fiverr, everything you need to learn is already in nairaland/com/business section. Take time to explore that section, make it a daily routine to check threads on that section. Go there and see youths who are trying to make it and who are making it.

They are other benefits you can get from nairaland aside all these daily arguments and ethic wars. So many persons where like me who spent about 4 years on nairaland without visiting the business section.

NYSC is a time where you have all the time to do great and amazing things that will benefit you. Remember, it's about choice and its your duty to make your choice.

8 Likes

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by Maydayy(m): 11:18pm On Apr 14, 2018
mrphysics:
Everyday, I receive loads of PMs from nairalanders, people from business section who wants to be guided on how to make money.

The purpose of this thread isn't to get people asking me to teach them about fiverr, everything you need to learn is already in nairaland/com/business section. Take time to explore that section, make it a daily routine to check threads on that section. Go there and see youths who are trying to make it and who are making it.

They are other benefits you can get from nairaland aside all these daily arguments and ethic wars. So many persons where like me who spent about 4 years on nairaland without visiting the business section.

NYSC is a time where you have all the time to do great and amazing things that will benefit you. Remember, it's about choice and its your duty to make your choice.
I'm interested in learning more about fiverrr.
Can I send you a pm sir?
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by brandable: 11:32pm On Apr 14, 2018
mrphysics:

very inspirational bro. Thanks for this, nairaland business sections has really been helpful to a lot of people including me. Learnt about domain flipping from there. Though the bucks no longer come in like before due to the high cost of getting a good domain that one can be sure of making good ROI. Have start taking some programming tutorials online which i intend freelancing with it after i have improve on my coding ability.
You already have two stable sources of income, i think it's time for you to start visiting the investment section especially the stockmarket thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/1131485/nigerian-stock-exchange-market-pick.
I must say i enjoy reading your posts on nairaland and i learnt a lot from it.
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 2:59am On Apr 15, 2018
brandable:

very inspirational bro. Thanks for this, nairaland business sections has really been helpful to a lot of people including me. Learnt about domain flipping from there. Though the bucks no longer come in like before due to the high cost of getting a good domain that one can be sure of making good ROI. Have start taking some programming tutorials online which i intend freelancing with it after i have improve on my coding ability.
You already have two stable sources of income, i think it's time for you to start visiting the investment section especially the stockmarket thread.
Welcome sir and thanks for the recommendation. I will visit the investment side though I have started investing in real estate. Little by little, we will get there.

What amazes me is the fact that getting a lady of choice at this stage is much easier. People respects you because you have the money. No one talks to you anyhow, Atleast when talking to you, they do so with respect. I learned the domain flipping too but I guess it wasn't my thing. I will still look into it.

When my MD saw what I do, he became more interested in me. I held them hostage because as a level one writer then, I was already making N140k a month. So you can't employ me at that price or even below. Because he saw I can do many things aside my analytic thinking and logical reasoning, he was impressed. In fact, he told me he's interested in me. I couldn't have earned his interest if I wasn't on fiverr.

So freelancing is the way to go. Though I currently earn on an average $1000/month, I still think I can do more. I am happy to know that someone here has benefitted from nairaland business section. It's the best place Nigerian youths should be.

6 Likes

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 3:02am On Apr 15, 2018
Maydayy:

I'm interested in learning more about fiverrr.
Can I send you a pm sir?
You have to check the business section Sir. All the information and things I know about fiverr, I learned free and on that section. I can't promise you anything now as I am a busy person.

2 Likes

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by Darkseid(m): 7:13am On Apr 15, 2018
Nice one bro, more groundnuts to your garri. While most Corp members were busy complaining of how small #19.8 was, I managed to save mine, buy the end of my fourth month, I bought a laptop and started learning different things. Now I'm good with Photoshop, illustrator, Microsoft office, a bit of java programming including computer repairs and electronics designs that I've learnt in the past.
Though I didn't do any other work, I still managed to save over 170k extra. Last night I followed my flat mate to withdraw 10k from his terminal allowance, he wants to flex with it this week.

4 Likes

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 9:01am On Apr 15, 2018
Darkseid:
Nice one bro, more groundnuts to your garri. While most Corp members were busy complaining of how small #19.8 was, I managed to save mine, buy the end of my fourth month, I bought a laptop and started learning different things. Now I'm good with Photoshop, illustrator, Microsoft office, a bit of java programming including computer repairs and electronics designs that I've learnt in the past.
Though I didn't do any other work, I still managed to save over 170k extra. Last night I followed my flat mate to withdraw 10k from his terminal allowance, he wants to flex with it this week.
You have got a high selling skills. Nice one bro, trust me, it will pay. With illustrator and good photoshop skills, you will make it big on fiverr. I think I need that Java programming skills now, I will start learning it on my own from tomorrow. Are you on fiverr, upwork, or freelancer?

1 Like

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by Darkseid(m): 9:50am On Apr 15, 2018
mrphysics:

You have got a high selling skills. Nice one bro, trust me, it will pay. With illustrator and good photoshop skills, you will make it big on fiverr. I think I need that Java programming skills now, I will start learning it on my own from tomorrow. Are you on fiverr, upwork, or freelancer?
Thanks man. I registered on Fiverr but due to the power situation in my current location I had to pause it. I also applied for Google android development scholarship, I hope I get selected.
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by ruggedtimi(m): 12:52pm On Apr 15, 2018
j.
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by Soteriahascome: 3:26pm On Apr 15, 2018
Thanks for sharing... Remain blessed!
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 6:44pm On Apr 15, 2018
Soteriahascome:
Thanks for sharing... Remain blessed!
Welcome bro
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by Kingsley10000: 8:09pm On Apr 15, 2018
it's quite inspiring...just like a projectile,you will keep propelling higher brother
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by Kingsley10000: 8:14pm On Apr 15, 2018
I studied animal science,intend to serve in kano.I would like to work in a livestock farm or establish poultry farm there,I don't know how feasible is it.......'m also good at making pastries,snacks,small cakes,meatpie etc

I just intend to do agribusiness in north,don't know the best location for it
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 9:16pm On Apr 15, 2018
Kingsley10000:
I studied animal science,intend to serve in kano.I would like to work in a livestock farm or establish poultry farm there,I don't know how feasible is it.......'m also good at making pastries,snacks,small cakes,meatpie etc

I just intend to do agribusiness in north,don't know the best location for it
I left Kano a year ago

1 Like

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by wman(m): 4:19am On Apr 24, 2018
Great thread.

The Nairaland business section helped me in so many ways too. Learnt a lot from there. I also started Fiverr during my NYSC days. I knew about Fiverr before NYSC but couldn't start until after camp and relocation. I had to make do with writing for other Nairalanders before starting on Fiverr. I do it full time now along with other hustles.

For newbies, you can start from the following threads:

Fiverr:

https://www.nairaland.com/2947212/exclusive-how-make-level-2

Upwork:

https://www.nairaland.com/2594236/elance.com-upwork.com-other-freelancing-site

Freelancer:

https://www.nairaland.com/1833989/how-make-1000-month-writing

Read through those threads and you have all the information that you need to get started. Remember, you don't need a single dime to start. All you need is a smartphone and a laptop. Within months, you should be clocking at least $500 monthly if you're good enough.

2 Likes

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by Developrog(m): 7:07pm On Jun 15, 2018
It has helped many Nigerians really
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by kenralph(m): 10:47pm On Jun 27, 2018
mrphysics:

Biggest bro.... In fact na God go bless you for me. I'm presently serving in Kano(a village though). I was really touched by this post of yours. i may not venture into fiverr but I'll surely apply all that you've advocated during my service year.....will give you a report about my progress one year from now.
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by Prestigewins: 2:29am On Jun 28, 2018
Article writers are urgently needed, you can apply by sending me your name and whatapp phone number here

1 Like

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 5:41am On Jun 28, 2018
kenralph:

Biggest bro.... In fact na God go bless you for me. I'm presently serving in Kano(a village though). I was really touched by this post of yours. i may not venture into fiverr but I'll surely apply all that you've advocated during my service year.....will give you a report about my progress one year from now.
Great one sir. Sorry about your posting to the village. Turn it to your advantage by developing yourself and venturing into any business. Don't be afraid to take risk. Take risk and damn the consequences.

Goodluck and all the best
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by kenralph(m): 6:13pm On Jun 28, 2018
mrphysics:

Great one sir. Sorry about your posting to the village. Turn it to your advantage by developing yourself and venturing into any business. Don't be afraid to take risk. Take risk and damn the consequences.

Goodluck and all the best
Thanks a lot chief. All the best

1 Like

Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by haryomikun(m): 1:29pm On Jul 25, 2018
mrphysics:

Welcome sir and thanks for the recommendation. I will visit the investment side though I have started investing in real estate. Little by little, we will get there.

What amazes me is the fact that getting a lady of choice at this stage is much easier. People respects you because you have the money. No one talks to you anyhow, Atleast when talking to you, they do so with respect. I learned the domain flipping too but I guess it wasn't my thing. I will still look into it.

When my MD saw what I do, he became more interested in me. I held them hostage because as a level one writer then, I was already making N140k a month. So you can't employ me at that price or even below. Because he saw I can do many things aside my analytic thinking and logical reasoning, he was impressed. In fact, he told me he's interested in me. I couldn't have earned his interest if I wasn't on fiverr.

So freelancing is the way to go. Though I currently earn on an average $1000/month, I still think I can do more. I am happy to know that someone here has benefitted from nairaland business section. It's the best place Nigerian youths should be.
Shii! You do writing on fiverr? Well you were lucky you started early. Most who start writing gigs in fiverr now are far behind. The niche is very saturated already
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by haryomikun(m): 1:42pm On Jul 25, 2018
brandable:

I once visited a stock market thread on nairaland and what i was seeing by people discouraged me. They basically claimed that the stock market in Nigeria was dead and i brought losses. Especially with banks
Re: How I Became A Big Boy During And After NYSC by mrphysics(m): 3:05pm On Jul 25, 2018
haryomikun:

Shii! You do writing on fiverr? Well you were lucky you started early. Most who start writing gigs in fiverr now are far behind. The niche is very saturated already
It's really saturated for those who do not know the right strategy to begin. I have seen new sellers selling on Fiverr. I didn't start early, I started a year ago, February 2017.

Some sellers has been on Fiverr since 2013.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience / Anyone Posted To Kastina Letz Meet Here / How To Print Call Up Letter....batch A15 Prospective Corp Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.