Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,259 members, 7,864,364 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 04:43 PM

Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again (22826 Views)

Mbaka: I Will Not Worship At Catholic Church Again - Nigerian Man / David Ibiyeomi Holds Church Again Despite Corona Virus PICS / Will I Go 2 Hell Because I Dont Go To Church Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by hopefulLandlord: 8:08am On Apr 17, 2018
Scientist7:

There is clearly a lot of dirty bath water surrounding the
reality of God. Holy wars. Inquisitions. Superstition.Dogmatism. Ignorance. Hypocrisy. Self-righteousness. Rigidity. Cruelty. Book-burning. Witch-burning. Inhibition. Fear. Conformity.Morbid guilt. Insanity. The list is almost endless. But is all this what God has done to humans or what humans have done to God? It is abundantly evident that belief in God is sometimes destructively dogmatic. Is the problem, then, that humans tend to believe in God, or is the problem that humans tend to be dogmatic? Anyone who has known a died-in-the-wool atheist will know that such an individual can be as dogmatic about unbelief as any believer can be about belief. Is it belief in God we need to get rid of, or is it dogmatism? There have been clear cases of atheists killing christians, the recent case in the US being a church mass killing. Look at the present day atheist government of china collecting from their citizenry the freedom of religion, you'll sooner than later begin to see the effects.
Another reason that scientists are so prone to throw the
baby out with the bath water is that science itself is a religion. The neophyte scientist, recently come or converted to the world view of science, can be every bit as fanatical as a Christian crusader or a soldier of Allah. This is particularly the case when we have come to science
from a culture and home in which belief in God is firmly associated with ignorance, superstition, rigidity and
hypocrisy. Then we have emotional as well as intellectual
motives to smash the idols of primitive faith. A mark of maturity in scientists, however, is their awareness that science may be as subject to dogmatism as any other religion.

That being said, some religions however are inherently problematic, especially those that promote violence, killing and forceful world domination but you don't have to generalize. Generalizing on this matter is similar to saying because one leader is found to be corrupt then every leader is corrupt.
The problem is not religion, the problem is dogmatism, fanatism, extremism and atheists and scientists are as susceptible to it as anyone else.

You claimed "Atheism is a religion too" and I asked you to prove it but nothing in this reply is pertinent to the question asked
Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Scientist7: 9:47am On Apr 17, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

You claimed "Atheism is a religion too" and I asked you to prove it but nothing in this reply is pertinent to the question asked

You can't see it now due to your bias. Save my post and one day you may understand and see the point
Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by hopefulLandlord: 10:01am On Apr 17, 2018
Scientist7:

You can't see it now due to your bias. Save my post and one day you may understand and see the point

actually I understood your post perfectly, you're saying atheists can be dogmatic but that doesn't make atheism a religion

If atheism is a religion then off is a TV channel and bald is a hair colour

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Characteristics Of A Man After God's Heart / I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. / Philippines Sing In Igbo At The Lord's Chosen Church (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.