Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,494 members, 7,823,156 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. (22734 Views)

How Long Does The Salvation Of The Soul Take? / Inesqor On The Salvation Of The Non-christian / For The Salvation Of Your Soul (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by ooman(m): 4:38pm On Feb 07, 2013
One of the reason i became an atheist is why a continent like africa, that "puts God first in everything" is the poorest and why a whole race, who is the most religious is also the most unsuccessful, that race is obvious: the black race!

I thought to myself that if God exists, and if he really decided not to help african communities but watch children die of hunger everyday in their numbers, then i can't also trust that i have a secured paradise waiting for me after death. God might also "decide it is not his affairs to interfere with".

If God can't help or at least reward African communities now despite how much they love, worship and expect from him, i dont need or want his help in the "afterlife", not that i believe in an "afterlife".

There is nothing more i'd love to see than the success of my land, even if that means loss of my soul.

You might be wondering how becoming an atheist will be of any help to my land, it will be because only when you are an atheist could you be really free to think about all the possibilities about a particular matter.
Atheism frees the mind, it is the perfect way of life, the only right path that leads to life. I dont mean an afterlife i mean a fulfilled life.

You want me to believe in God, start by showing me the reward of God worship as it is evident in african communities. When i am satisfied, you would have earned a referal commission on me by bringing me to God, except you cant because obviously, the more you worship God, the less successful you get

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Feb 07, 2013
Seconded...

I'd rather worship an African god than worship a racist one cheesy

Matt. 15:24
Then Jesus said to the woman, "I was sent only to help God's lost sheep--the people of Israel."

Rev. 3:9

I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars--I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.

5 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Feb 07, 2013
Thirded.

This picture explains it all;

1 Like

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Afam4eva(m): 5:40pm On Feb 07, 2013
Funny Thread.

2 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 7:39pm On Feb 07, 2013

5 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Feb 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

ROTFLMAO!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 7:43pm On Feb 07, 2013
Ileke-IdI:

ROTFLMAO!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin

wink
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by AtheistD(m): 7:51pm On Feb 07, 2013
But xtians claim that God cannot reward on earth as He is no longer in control. He can only reward in heaven. Africas poverty is not due to Gods wishes but satans evil.

I say.....

If that is the case, why does God not punish those prosperity pastors leading people astray with false promises of financial blessings for tithes, seeds, offerings etc?

It is obvious that there is no God. I dont mind being called a FOOL for not believing in Him because I fail to see how those who DO believe in him are any better off.

7 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 7:55pm On Feb 07, 2013
Obviously christians are a flock of sheep and sheep can only be led to the slaughter.

2 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Bella3(f): 8:00pm On Feb 07, 2013
Christians don suffer no be small.
You know, it feels good to know that when you guys talk of religion and God, you think of christianity first.cheesy

21 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 8:04pm On Feb 07, 2013
Bélla3: Christians don suffer no be small.
You know, it feels good to know that when you guys talk of religion and God, you think of christianity first.cheesy

Most atheists here are ex-christians.

Dont flatter yourself

5 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Heatblast(m): 8:05pm On Feb 07, 2013
Me sef tire, one would expect that people who believe in a ultra rich sky daddy would be richer/ better than those who don't, but its the exact opposite, Aficans believe in a god more than the rest of the world combined(that's just me guessing) yet poverty rules unchallanged. We are always waiting for aid form the godless nations(compared to us) Take Nigeria for example, every friday and sunday, continious disturbance, yet no change. angry sad undecided

5 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 8:07pm On Feb 07, 2013
Wait till Sunday. You'll understand why.

As for Islam, the less said the better.

2 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by AtheistD(m): 8:08pm On Feb 07, 2013

Xtianity is doing much better than Islam. Islam is in a REAL crisis. With some doctrinal rejigging xtianity might be in a much better position.

1 Like

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Bella3(f): 8:10pm On Feb 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Most atheists here are ex-christians.

Dont flatter yourself
So You claim to be so knowledgable and good use of the internet.
Even common sense should tell you that christianity isnt the only religion in the world.

1 Like

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 8:15pm On Feb 07, 2013
Heatblast: Me sef tire, one would expect that people who believe in a ultra rich sky daddy would be richer/ better than those who don't, but its the exact opposite, Aficans believe in a god more than the rest of the world combined(that's just me guessing) yet poverty rules unchallanged. We are always waiting for aid form the godless nations(compared to us) Take Nigeria for example, every friday and sunday, continious disturbance, yet no change. angry sad undecided

Lets look at the new Jerusalem for Nigerian christians- America

African Americans are far more religious than the total population based on many religious indicators, accroding to pew. However, the African Americans remain at the bottom of the society with the average income of a white family doubles that of an average black family
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 8:18pm On Feb 07, 2013
Bélla3: So You claim to be so knowledgable and good use of the internet.
Even common sense should tell you that christianity isnt the only religion in the world.
And in Nigeria? It's treated like it is. Everyone else including the Muslims can go to hell.

As for the Muslims, the less said the better. It's a quite peaceful religion and bothers no one.

3 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 07, 2013
I remember reading a comment on Nl concerning a scientific breakthrough earlier this year.. One poster commented ' the whites have the physical, africans keep your spiritual so when they need it they'll find you...

Lol.

Tbh, the Bible promotes hardwork and in a way (I'll be quite cautious here, cos I realise that it's all about what meaning you choose to strap on to any verse) condemns laziness in all its ramifications. Even atheists and other religious adherents would find the Book of Proverbs quite amusing and interesting...

Is the real problem with the African man? I assume most of the posters here are atheists and truth seekers.
I'm quite aware that religion, especially within our environment has propagated lots of falsehood and caged a lot of our brothers, making them feel relaxed and quite proud of their ignorance. All I ask is that we look at these from all angles. Yes, we may see the imprints of religion (slavery etc), but is the real issue with us? Have we tried so hard to fit into a system that wasn't built for us? Where does the problem lie? Why is the current leader of the largest black nation a retard? We weren't the only ones to be used as slaves, were we? Why have other cultures moved on, while we remain stuck in mediocrity?

If we say atheism's the solution, I ask how?

Do we really trust the almajiris to troop into schools if they're presented with proof that Allah's just a figment of their imagination?

What separates El-rufai from the common almajiri?

What separates Kukah from Oritsejafor?

For Africans to begin to be inqusitive and daring, rather than remain superstitious and fearful of the unknown/mysterious, do we really have to dump all notions of spirituality?

11 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Bella3(f): 8:30pm On Feb 07, 2013
Atheist:-D:

Xtianity is doing much better than Islam. Islam is in a REAL crisis. With some doctrinal rejigging xtianity might be in a much better position.
You sure you atheist? You sound more agnostic.
I think it is christians that need to change, for they are the ones making up and believing in false doctrines.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Bella3(f): 8:32pm On Feb 07, 2013
musKeeto:
Wait till Sunday. You'll understand why.

As for Islam, the less said the better.
You speak in parables.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Bella3(f): 8:36pm On Feb 07, 2013
musKeeto:
And in Nigeria? It's treated like it is. Everyone else including the Muslims can go to hell.

As for the Muslims, the less said the better. It's a quite peaceful religion and bothers no one.
Let me understand you better, christianity is treated like the only religion in Nigeria??
@bold, is that a figure of speech?

4 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Bella3(f): 8:39pm On Feb 07, 2013
musKeeto: I remember reading a comment on Nl concerning a scientific breakthrough earlier this year.. One poster commented ' the whites have the physical, africans keep your spiritual so when they need it they'll find you...

Lol.

Tbh, the Bible promotes hardwork and in a way (I'll be quite cautious here, cos I realise that it's all about what meaning you choose to strap on to any verse) condemns laziness in all its ramifications. Even atheists and other religious adherents would find the Book of Proverbs quite amusing and interesting...

Is the real problem with the African man? I assume most of the posters here are atheists and truth seekers.
I'm quite aware that religion, especially within our environment has propagated lots of falsehood and caged a lot of our brothers, making them feel relaxed and quite proud of their ignorance. All I ask is that we look at these from all angles. Yes, we may see the imprints of religion (slavery etc), but is the real issue with us? Have we tried so hard to fit into a system that wasn't built for us? Where does the problem lie? Why is the current leader of the largest black nation a retard? We weren't the only ones to be used as slaves, were we? Why have other cultures moved on, why we remain stuck in mediocrity?

Do we really trust the almajiris to troop into schools if they're presented with proof that Allah's just a figment of their imagination?

For Africans to begin to be inqusitive and daring, rather than superstitious and scared, do we really have to dump all notions of spirituality?
Sorry for quoting this long post but...
I LOVE IT

2 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 8:42pm On Feb 07, 2013
Bélla3: Let me understand you better, christianity is treated like the only religion in Nigeria??
@bold, is that a figure of speech?
It's like saying Nigeria has three tribes: Igbo, yoruba and hausa..
I don't consider Islam a religion. It's a way of life to its adherents, guides them in everything, from bathing to peeing and in the case of Mclatunji, fatwabans...
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Bella3(f): 8:50pm On Feb 07, 2013
musKeeto:
It's like saying Nigeria has three tribes: Igbo, yoruba and hausa..
I don't consider Islam a religion. It's a way of life to its adherents, guides them in everything, from bathing to peeing and in the case of Mclatunji, fatwabans...
REALLY?? Thats is interesting. Hmmm... Muslims go happy well well for this your gist.
Buh, i thought religion is believe and worship of God/gods??
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 8:52pm On Feb 07, 2013
Bélla3: REALLY?? Thats is interesting. Hmmm... Muslims go happy well well for this your gist.
Buh, i thought religion is believe and worship of God/gods??
Pls, don't tempt me. I'm working hard to avoid a fatwaban, we have to appease the messengers of Allah. grin
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 07, 2013
musKeeto:
Is the real problem with the African man? [/b]I assume most of the posters here are atheists and truth seekers.
I'm quite aware that religion, especially within our environment has propagated lots of falsehood and caged a lot of our brothers, making them feel relaxed and quite proud of their ignorance. All I ask is that we look at these from all angles. Yes, we may see the imprints of religion (slavery etc), but is the real issue with us? Have we tried so hard to fit into a system that wasn't built for us? Where does the problem lie? Why is the current leader of the largest black nation a retard? [b]We weren't the only ones to be used as slaves, were we? Why have other cultures moved on, why we remain stuck in mediocrity?

For Africans to begin to be inqusitive and daring, rather than superstitious and scared, do we really have to dump all notions of spirituality?

1) The problem is with the culture of stamping religious falsehoods and the effects of colonization of our people.

2) Blacks were the last race to be enslaved

3) The indians were colonized but did they suffer slavery like the blacks and did they accept the white man's religion more than their hinduism?

4) when a people acceptareligion that is clearly racist to their own selves and insulting totheir forefathers,how are they going to progress?

5) Atheism is not the solution, knowledge is the key. However,such knowledge mostly leads to atheism, deism, agnosticism,non-theistic spirituality etc,away from religiousity to irreligion/non-theistic spirituality.

6) A skeptic is left with only logic and reasoning to guide him through life. Most atheist will choose to use the tool of reason and some wont. If a muslim becomes an atheist, what logical reason does he have to believe that Muhammad flew on a winged horse to heaven or that pork meat is worse than beef (when well cooked/trimmed pork has the almost same nutritional value as well cooked beef)?

3 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by onetrack(m): 8:59pm On Feb 07, 2013
I will pray for all of you atheists. Otherwise, my all-merciful, all-loving, and benevolent God will strike you down and burn you forever and ever and ever in the hottest fires of hell if you don't find blind faith in one of his religions.

12 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 9:24pm On Feb 07, 2013
Logicboy03:
1) The problem is with the culture of stamping religious falsehoods and the effects of colonization of our people.
I agree with this but not completely. The white man, ignoring conspiracy theories and other unsubstantiated claims, had given independence to Nigeria over 50 years ago... Should we still blame colonization for our current state? 12 years of the white man's democracy, do we blame the system or the individual? Consider that in Asia and the Arab world, they do not practice democracy yet, despite their religious tendencies (Japan excluded) have improved and continue to do? Islam is practiced in Dubai, didn't stop them from turning an arid desert to a world class tourist destination..

[author=Logicboy03]
[/quote]
Is this a sufficient excuse? If yesn, how?

Logicboy03:
3) The indians were colonized but did they suffer slavery like the blacks and did they accept the white man's religion more than their hinduism?
You're right. They didn't. Hinduism also had its quirks. For instance, the practice of
Sutee/Sati, where widows were burned alive on their dead husband’s funeral pyres. It was believed that if a widow burned
herself to death soon after her husband died, her husband would go to heaven and all his sins would be gone with the wind. Over time, such practices have become extinct. Today, indian ladies are bold enough to take to the streets to protest the rape of one of their own. Homosexuality is legal by law. India still remains a deeply religious society though.

My point here is I do not subscribe to the idea that religion is a deterrent to knowledge. I don't believe one has to be an atheist to wonder about the universe, marvel at its intricate workings.

Logicboy03:
4) when a people acceptareligion that is clearly racist to their own selves and insulting totheir forefathers,how are they going to progress?
Lol, time for us to start contributing funds for Pagan9ja... cheesy. Yeah, Islam and Chrisitianity have messed up the black man's identity, or is his failure to document history to blame? Do we have any religious books that are as old as say the Bible, or its Hindu and Arabic counterpart? Without a knowledge of history, how can one claim to have an identity? Today, I'm quite ashamed that a few of my tribesmen actually believe they're Jews, and then they quote Jewish history to back that up... Imagine...

Logicboy03:
5) Atheism is not the solution, knowledge is the key. However,such knowledge mostly leads to atheism, deism, agnosticism,non-theistic spirituality etc,away from religiousity to irreligion/non-theistic spirituality.

Good. So let's not put the cart before the horse. We may have to change our tones, switch from castigating to educating, having civil discussions with those who want to. You've had a lot of commendations from various christians turned agnostic/atheists on this board this year. You're doing a good job, but majority of Nigerians do not visit NL. Don't let the 1 million accounts fool you.. We all have some macdaddys and cheers in our cupboards cheesy

Logicboy03:
6) A skeptic is left with only logic and reasoning to guide him through life. Most atheist will choose to use the tool of reason and some wont. If a muslim becomes an atheist, what logical reason does he have to believe that Muhammad flew on a winged horse to heaven or that pork meat is worse than beef (when well cooked/trimmed pork has the almost same nutritional value as well cooked beef)?
The almajiris might just see everyone else as meat, only that this time they would be doing it for survival... It's a delicate situation, taking away the reason they live and giving them no substitute... That's my fear. That Nigerians do away with the notion of God, and with no one to account to, become even more brutal and daring. Look at what the likes of Oyedepo are doing in the name of God...

2 Likes

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by ooman(m): 9:28pm On Feb 07, 2013
onetrack: I will pray for all of you atheists. Otherwise, my all-merciful, all-loving, and benevolent God will strike you down and burn you forever and ever and ever in the hottest fires of hell if you don't find blind faith in one of his religions.

hmmm...... I love ur figure of speech.
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Heatblast(m): 9:31pm On Feb 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Lets look at the new Jerusalem for Nigerian christians- America

African Americans are far more religious than the total population based on many religious indicators, accroding to pew. However, the African Americans remain at the bottom of the society with the average income of a white family doubles that of an average black family

Not suprised. Two things Synonymous with a large population of Africans living anywhere is
1)Religion
2)Poverty

Now the question is if religion and poverty are mutually exclusive or potentially inclusive. From statistics, the latter seems to be the case

1 Like

Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 07, 2013
musKeeto:
I agree with this but not completely. The white man, ignoring conspiracy theories and other unsubstantiated claims, had given independence to Nigeria over 50 years ago... Should we still blame colonization for our current state? 12 years of the white man's democracy, do we blame the system or the individual? Consider that in Asia and the Arab world, they do not practice democracy yet, despite their religious tendencies (Japan excluded) have improved and continue to do? Islam is practiced in Dubai, didn't stop them from turning an arid desert to a world class tourist destination..

Is this a sufficient excuse? If yesn, how?

You're right. They didn't. Hinduism also had its quirks. For instance, the practice of
Sutee/Sati, where widows were burned alive on their dead husband’s funeral pyres. It was believed that if a widow burned
herself to death soon after her husband died, her husband would go to heaven and all his sins would be gone with the wind. Over time, such practices have become extinct. Today, indian ladies are bold enough to take to the streets to protest the rape of one of their own. Homosexuality is legal by law. India still remains a deeply religious society though.

My point here is I do not subscribe to the idea that religion is a deterrent to knowledge. I don't believe one has to be an atheist to wonder about the universe, marvel at its intricate workings.

Lol, time for us to start contributing funds for Pagan9ja... cheesy. Yeah, Islam and Chrisitianity have messed up the black man's identity, or is his failure to document history to blame? Do we have any religious books that are as old as say the Bible, or its Hindu and Arabic counterpart? Without a knowledge of history, how can one claim to have an identity? Today, I'm quite ashamed that a few of my tribesmen actually believe they're Jews, and then they quote Jewish history to back that up... Imagine...

Good. So let's not put the cart before the horse. We may have to change our tones, switch from castigating to educating, having civil discussions with those who want to. You've had a lot of commendations from various christians turned agnostic/atheists on this board this year. You're doing a good job, but majority of Nigerians do not visit NL. Don't let the 1 million accounts fool you.. We all have some macdaddys and cheers in our cupboards cheesy

The almajiris might just see everyone else as meat, only that this time they would be doing it for survival... It's a delicate situation, taking away the reason they live and giving them no substitute... That's my fear. That Nigerians do away with the notion of God, and with no one to account to, become even more brutal and daring. Look at what the likes of Oyedepo are doing in the name of God...

1) We were the last race to be enslaved, why should it not follow that we should be the last to progress?

2) People are good or bad with or without religion. Removing religion doesnt make one bad but giving a good person religion can turn the person into a fundamentalist at times.

Have you ever heard of an ex-muslim who went on jihad? Never.

Or an exchristian who went on a crusade to bomb abrotion doctors?
Re: I Am More Concerned About Africa Than The Salvation Of My Soul. by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

1) We were the last race to be enslaved, why should it not follow that we should be the last to progress?

2) People are good or bad with or without religion. Removing religion doesnt make one bad but giving a good person religion can turn the person into a fundamentalist at times.

Have you ever heard of an ex-muslim who went on jihad? Never.

Or an exchristian who went on a crusade to bomb abrotion doctors?

Are you saying reason and logic can't lead one to commit atrocities or crime?

I've never heard of an ex-muslim who went on jihad. But just for fun could argue that jihadists employ reason and logic to achieve their aim.. Case in point: the 9/11 attacks.

The efforts and time that went into the planning and execution of those attacks can't be simply put down to brainwashing. Those guys were highly intelligent fellows imho (pls, I hope I'm not misunderstoood, just illustrating a point here). You can't say there was no reason (kill the infidels, get cute babes in paradise) or logic. One can be religious and still think and reason in a proper manner.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

T.B. Joshua Celebrates His 53rd Birthday Today / Stones Of Fire: Courtesy Of Dr. Daniel K. Olukoya / Oblate Eusebius Burial Photos. Founder Of Block Rosary Crusade Nigeria Buried

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.