Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:20 AM

7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad (18979 Views)

List Of Super Eagles Squad for Egypt Game / Emenike Rejects Invitation Back To The Super Eagles Squad / Vincent Enyeama's Wife Speaks Up On His Retirement From Super Eagles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by bishoprccg(m): 11:49am On May 14, 2010
A close look at the list released by Lars Lagerback shows a mix of youth and talent.

Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama (Hapoel Tel Aviv, Israel), Dele Aiyenugba (Bnei Yehuda, Israel), Austin Ejide (Hapoel Petah Tikva, Israel), and Bassey Akpan (Bayelsa United, Nigeria)

Defenders: Taye Taiwo (Olympique Marseille, France), Elderson Echiejile (Rennes, France), Chidi Odiah (CSKA Moscow, Russia), Onyekachi Apam (OG Nice, France), Joseph Yobo (Everton, England), Daniel Shittu (Bolton Wanderers, England), Ayodele Adeleye (Sparta Rotterdam, Netherlands), Rabiu Afolabi (SV Salzburg, Austria) and Terna Suswan (Lobi Stars, Nigeria)

Midfielders/Forwards: Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Victor Anichebe (Everton, England), Chinedu Obasi (TSG Hoffenheim, Germany), Nwankwo Kanu, John Utaka (Portsmouth, England), Obafemi Martins (Wolfsburg, Germany), Brown Ideye (FC Sochaux, France), Peter Utaka (Odense Boldklub, Denmark), Ikechukwu Uche (Real Zaragoza, Spain), Obinna Nsofor (Malaga, Spain), Kalu Uche (Almeria, Spain), Dickson Etuhu (Fulham, England), Mikel Obi (Chelsea, England), Sani Kaita (Alaniya, Russia), Haruna Lukman (AS Monaco, France), Yusuf Ayila (Dynamo Kiev, Ukraine), Osaze Odemwingie (Lokomotiv Moscow, Russia)

Unfortunately, only 23 players will go to the World Cup.
Which of these 30 players will be dropped?
A big question you will say, but below are the 7 players likely to be dropped:

1. Bassey Akpan(Bayelsa United) He stands no chance due to his lack of experience compared to the other three more accomplished Goalkeepers.

2. Brown Ideye(FC Sochaux, France)- He lack the experience to feature in at the big stage. He goal rate is also not convincing.

3.John Utaka- Lack of playing time at portsmouth has taken a toll on the once enterprising forward. Injuries has not also helped his course.

4. Rabiu Afolabi

5.Sani Kaita- Just too clumsy in defensive midfield

6. Danny Shittu- May have played his heart out at Angola 2010, but he has not played for Wolves all season.

7. Haruna Lukman- Stand no chance against the more accomplished midfielders. Could not hold his own at the U-20 World Cup and easily fades away during the big occasion

Last minute changes may occur and its up to the coach to make the final list.
June 1st is the D-day when the list will be unveiled

www.grelohi.com
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by honeric01(m): 12:45pm On May 14, 2010
did you come up with this or what?
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by toluxa1(m): 2:09pm On May 14, 2010
Haruna will NOT be dropped. I also think Utaka will make the final list.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by cescjay(m): 2:09pm On May 14, 2010
I agree with the poster,but i think john utaka should go
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by marutimon: 5:21pm On May 14, 2010
Afolabi is also unlikely to be dropped. And Haruna is the only proper midfield Nigeria has.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by Gekko(m): 5:46pm On May 14, 2010
marutimon:

Afolabi is also unlikely to be dropped. And Haruna is the only proper midfield Nigeria has.

I agree, i would be highly disappointed if these 2 dont make the final cut. As a matter fact, i'm hoping Haruna makes the starting line-up.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by marutimon: 7:05pm On May 14, 2010
I agree with Gekko. If Haruna doesn't make the starting line-up than we could have just as well sent Amodu to the World Cup, I believe Eriksson was supposed to introduce change, and change has to start in the midfield.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by Kx: 7:08pm On May 14, 2010
marutimon:

I believe Eriksson was supposed to introduce change, and change has to start in the midfield.

This is exactly what the NFF has turned us to.
Most of us dont even know the name of the national team coach
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by hollandis(f): 7:13pm On May 14, 2010
The following 7 should be dropped
1.Aiyegbeni Yakubu- It is amazing that despite  justifiable complaints by Soccer pundits.Yakubu still featured at the last Nations cup.Yakubu has been consistently inconsistent at both the club and National team levels for the past 2 years.His slow and unaggressive approach to games will make him a cheap mark by world class defenders.HE MUST GO.Whatever cult or attraction or sentiment shared with Amodu will no longer hold weight.His Godfather  is gone

2,Akpan Bassey-We are clamoring for local based players but what is the basis of not bringing the best legs.Of what use is inviting a keeper when we have numerous keepers at our disposal that can outshine anyone.

3.Kanu Nwankwo- Granted,Kanu has done a lot for our football image,it is definitely time to quit.I always ask myself,If dunga can drop almighty Pato,Ronaldinho et al and Maradona can drop Zanetti and Cambiasso,then who is Kanu?This man is weak .He was the major culprit when Egypt thrashed us 3-1 at the last Nations cup.He definitely deserves no place

4 Yobo -Yobo is a calamity in defence.It is only suicidal to name him in the final squad

5.Suswan-If on the basis of a 'local based must be invited'' then Suswan should be let in,but the issue with the supereagles is not Defense or even attack .We need ATTACKING and CREATIVE MIDFIELDERS

6.Yusuf Ayila- This man is old and lacks the intelligence to control the midfield.His place in his club has been taken over by a younger more intelligent player.He should go .PERIOD

7 Sani Kaita-Forget this quota system ,the guy is a nuisance in the midfield
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by Iyineda(m): 7:17pm On May 14, 2010
1. Bassey
2. J. Utaka
3. Kaita or Ayila
4. Suswan
5. Ideye
6. I. Uche or Anichebe (if the former is fit)
7. P. Utaka
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by OvieE: 7:37pm On May 14, 2010
Kx:

Why do u want to kill me with laugh.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by dayokanu(m): 8:16pm On May 14, 2010
Drop all the premiership players

Yobo, kanu, Utaka, Yakubu, Anichebe, and any other 2

keep Shittu, Etuhu and the serious ones
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by triistar86: 8:49pm On May 14, 2010
dayokanu:

And take dayokanu to the worldcup  grin
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by dayokanu(m): 10:03pm On May 14, 2010
Me and you if you are female but if you are male they can take you to the paralympic games in 2012 grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by honeric01(m): 10:39pm On May 14, 2010
Who's actually making the selections, is it really largerback, nff or eguhavoen?
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by OvieE: 12:09am On May 15, 2010
dayokanu:

Get your story straight. Drop all the premiership players that include shittu and etuhu since said all premiership players. The coach should pick you and ur weak leg father to replace them right.

Nonsence, go drink garri and sleep ok
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by hollandis(f): 5:49am On May 15, 2010
dayokanu:

I believe you bro.Drop all the premiership and championship players(Kanu)

EXCEPT UTAKA tongue
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by honeric01(m): 10:53am On May 15, 2010
hollandis:

I believe you bro.Drop all the premiership and championship players(Kanu)

EXCEPT UTAKA tongue

utaka? on what basis?
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by Katsumoto: 1:11pm On May 15, 2010
hollandis:

1.Aiyegbeni Yakubu- It is amazing that despite  justifiable complaints by Soccer pundits.Yakubu still featured at the last Nations cup.Yakubu has been consistently inconsistent at both the club and National team levels for the past 2 years.His slow and unaggressive approach to games will make him a cheap mark by world class defenders.HE MUST GO.Whatever cult or attraction or sentiment shared with Amodu will no longer hold weight.His Godfather  is gone

2,Akpan Bassey-We are clamoring for local based players but what is the basis of not bringing the best legs.Of what use is inviting a keeper when we have numerous keepers at our disposal that can outshine anyone.

3.Kanu Nwankwo- Granted,Kanu has done a lot for our football image,it is definitely time to quit.I always ask myself,If dunga can drop almighty Pato,Ronaldinho et al and Maradona can drop Zanetti and Cambiasso,then who is Kanu?This man is weak .He was the major culprit when Egypt thrashed us 3-1 at the last Nations cup.He definitely deserves no place

4 Yobo -Yobo is a calamity in defence.It is only suicidal to name him in the final squad

5.Suswan-If on the basis of a 'local based must be invited'' then Suswan should be let in,but the issue with the supereagles is not Defense or even attack .We need ATTACKING and CREATIVE MIDFIELDERS

6.Yusuf Ayila- This man is old and lacks the intelligence to control the midfield.His place in his club has been taken over by a younger more intelligent player.He should go .PERIOD

I agree with all the above except for Ayila.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by Katsumoto: 1:13pm On May 15, 2010
dayokanu:

I agree
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by hollandis(f): 2:17pm On May 15, 2010
honeric01:

utaka? on what basis?
On the basis of current form.Utaka is the only Nigerian players to be priced out of his frmer club before the world cup.He will be in sochaux after the FA derby against chelsea.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by 12large: 2:55pm On May 15, 2010
hollandis please shut up, if obasi,obinna,odemwingie wants to a club now they would get it. as a professional there is one thing in playing 90 minutes, but the most important thing is to play well and am sorry john utaka have scored 1 goal in 18 premier league game this season, that is just too poor he should not go to world cup. utaka should not even be in the 30mans squad because ahmed musa is even better than him
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by honeric01(m): 4:43pm On May 15, 2010
hollandis:

On the basis of current form.Utaka is the only Nigerian players to be priced out of his frmer club before the world cup.He will be in sochaux after the FA derby against chelsea.

And how many times has he sat on the bench this season? abeg leave torrie, he's not worth the shirt!, p. utaka should be taken instead.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by omonaija87: 1:26am On May 16, 2010
hollandis:

How can u say Yobo is a calamity in the defense That is the most outrageous statement I've ever heard, u must not be following the English premiership.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by 12large: 2:55am On May 16, 2010
omonaija87 please watch yobo again very well before you talk. i don't know how many nigerians would be happy if yobo is in cb, the guy is accident waiting to happen just look at the way he scored own goal against sira leone, against egypt in nations cup he was poor the yobo guy is just calamity
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by otokx(m): 1:04pm On May 17, 2010
Yobo is a calamity in the Nigerian defense line up.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by Princek12(m): 1:26pm On May 17, 2010
Taye Taiwo should be dropped. He cannot maintain focus for 90 minutes, for around the 75th minute of play, he thinks of amala and ewedu soup with cow leg, which gives the opposing strikers a chance to score.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by eros(m): 1:30pm On May 17, 2010
The poster simply said likely players to be dropped and you guys are already tearing each other apart over who should be dropped and who shouldn't be dropped. Sometimes, i just can't understand how football enthusiasts think or reason.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by bisiaet: 1:39pm On May 17, 2010
Please Poster Ovie E there is no need of insulting your fellow posters to the point you are refering to his father I think this is not fair , he just said his own opinion to that all Premiership Players should be drop that is all he might have his own reason either sensible or nosensible, no need of such abuse and refering to his father.

In reference to the list of players to be drop I think the best the coach should do is to drop any of the players that is not doing well in his club and anyone with injury but the opinion by a poster to say all premiership should be drop is totally wrong and has no ground at all. If all premiership players are drop then who are the one going to world cup? Julius Berger Boys or BCC lion boys? That suggestion is totally ove the the fence.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by larimo(m): 1:46pm On May 17, 2010
Kx:

grin grin grin grin. That was really funny!

In my opinion, Ideye(no experience), Akpan(no experience), Anichebe (no experience but like the guy sad), Ayila (too many mistakes; we can manage Kaita grin), Suswam (no experience),  Adeleye(no experience/out of form),  Obasi (lukewarm) shocked shocked, will be dropped.

I know some many condemn by choice of Obasi instead of Utaka but this is the world cup . Its not a league. You have only 3 group games and need experience. Obasi went blank after his screamer against Egypt. Utaka can still come up with something.

Just my opinion wink wink
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by 12large: 2:07pm On May 17, 2010
idiot how can a nigeria suggest dropping obasi for utaka, which experience are we talking about, experience that kanu and utaka cannot even bench piquione, at the last nations cup after odemwingie,shittu and apam obasi was the next so why are people suggesting to drop him. you said he scored 1goal against egypt, please tell me how many yakubu scored or how lazy yakubu was
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by 12large: 2:13pm On May 17, 2010
please people should stop using this "experience excuse" because it is annoying. watching kanu and utaka on saturday was mad depressing utaka came on earlier but everything he did was piss poor he was too bad then agbalabiyi kanu came on it looked like if my grand-father was playing those 2 guys are plain useless on current form. imagine players like ronaldinho,ronaldo,raul,luca toni these are players that have achieved more than kanu and they are not going to world cup, then a lazy old man like kanu a player living of two goals he scored in underage competition 14years ago wants to go, the young shall grow we don't need kanu,yakubu,utaka,yobo in our world cup team.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup: Canada 2014! / Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 / Karibe Ojigwe: Ex-Super Eagles footballer Nominated Commissioner In Abia State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.