Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,193 members, 7,811,506 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:16 PM

Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! (2720 Views)

Pastor Chris Is Right There's A Deception Going On / Prophet Who Practises Both Islam And Christianity In Kogi (Photos, Videos) / 10 Amazing revelations About Islam And Christianity God gave me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Martinez19(m): 9:34pm On Apr 15, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Each time there is a scientific breakthrough, especially in topics that deals with the age of our universe, origin, genetics or evolution, we see organised religions trying to incorporate these facts into their holy books. They have to reconcile scientific facts with their holy book because they have to show that it is consistent with reality.

Some christians don't buy into evolution while some dubiously buy into it and say Yahweh used evolution. If you are a christian that believes the bible supports evolution, how can you explain that evolution supports the idea that man was molded from soil and started living when Yahweh gave him the breath of life? you are definitely not serious if think that the bible and evolution are compatible.

A book says man was molded from soil and started living when Yahweh gave him the breath of life and you tell me this book supports evolution? You are not serious.

HopefulLandlord, butterflylion aka felixomor aka butterflyl1on aka butterflyleo grin, hahn, HardMirror, 1Sharon, Johnydon22, 1Sharon, proudgorgeousga, segunojo866, 0temAtum, catfishbilly, dalaman aka dalamama aka dalam0n, darkchild, frank317

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Martinez19(m): 9:40pm On Apr 15, 2018
Tozara, ladyhippolyta88, Lightblazingnow, jiggaz
Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 9:48pm On Apr 15, 2018
Martinez19:
Tozara, ladyhippolyta88, Lightblazingnow, jiggaz
When they said the earth had four corners people believed such sayings until science disproved it and brought in evidence that the earth is spherical.
A lot of christians still don't believe in the evolution and they believe it is satanic I was in a church where the pastor said the anti Christ has invaded the education system by adding the theory of evolution into the curriculum.

I believe capslocked has a thing or two to say about this.

3 Likes

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Butterflyleo: 9:54pm On Apr 15, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

When they said the earth has four corners people believed such sayings until science disproved it and brought in evidence that the earth is spherical.

The Scripture makes it quite clear that the Earth is a sphere (Isaiah 40:22)

The word translated “corners,” as in the phrase above, is the Hebrew word, KANAPH. Kanaph is translated in a variety of ways. However, it generally means extremity.

It is translated “borders” in Numbers 15:38. In Ezekiel 7:2 it is translated “four corners” and again in Isaiah 11:12 “four corners.” Job 37:3 and 38:13 as “ends.”

The Greek equivalent in Revelation 7:1 is gonia. The Greek meaning is perhaps more closely related to our modern divisions known as quadrants. Gonia literally means angles, or divisions. It is customary to divide a map into quadrants as shown by the four direction or cardinal points.

Ignorance makes people like you say all manner of nonsense

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 9:56pm On Apr 15, 2018
Butterflyleo:

The word translated “corners,” as in the phrase above, is the Hebrew word, KANAPH. Kanaph is translated in a variety of ways. However, it generally means extremity.

It is translated “borders” in Numbers 15:38. In Ezekiel 7:2 it is translated “four corners” and again in Isaiah 11:12 “four corners.” Job 37:3 and 38:13 as “ends.”

The Greek equivalent in Revelation 7:1 is gonia. The Greek meaning is perhaps more closely related to our modern divisions known as quadrants. Gonia literally means angles, or divisions. It is customary to divide a map into quadrants as shown by the four directions.

Your problem is not with me go and confront the people that said so not me.
Ignorance indeed.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Butterflyleo: 9:58pm On Apr 15, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

Your problem is not with me go and confront the people that said so not me.
Ignorance indeed.

Oh so you spew all you are told without researching for yourself if it is accurate or not. Like I said, ignorance makes people like you say nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:00pm On Apr 15, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Oh so you spew all you are told without researching for yourself if it is accurate or not. Like I said, ignorance makes people like you say nonsense
Boy don't try to mention Hippolyta again it's on the internet.
You are the one who chose to be ignorant especially when people question your faith with logic and fact.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Martinez19(m): 10:08pm On Apr 15, 2018
Butterflyleo:

The Greek equivalent in Revelation 7:1 is gonia. The Greek meaning is perhaps more closely related to our modern divisions known as quadrants. Gonia literally means angles, or divisions. It is customary to divide a map into quadrants as shown by the four direction or cardinal points.

na so. If the bible writers really meant round, it would have been translated round. The language from which the old testament was translated had sufficient wordings so that such simple description wouldn't have been misinterpreted.

If kanaph simply meant extremity, where did number "four" come from if they didn't meant to say four corners?

3 Likes

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by CAPSLOCKED: 10:19pm On Apr 15, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

When they said the earth had four corners people believed such sayings until science disproved it and brought in evidence that the earth is spherical.
A lot of christians still don't believe in the evolution and they believe it is satanic I was in a church where the pastor said the anti Christ has invaded the education system by adding the theory of evolution into the curriculum.

I SEE YOUR GUY ABOVE TRYING TO COVER UP THE "FOUR CORNERS" BELIEF OF THE ANCIENT GOAT HERDERS WHO WROTE THE BY-BU.

ASK HIM TO EXPLAIN THE PARTS WHICH DESCRIBED "THE WATERS ABOVE THE FIRMAMENT".

ASK HIM HOW NOAH WAS ABLE TO PLEAD WITH EVERYONE TO REPENT AND JOIN THE ARK.... I'M INTERESTED IN KNOWING THE MAGIC HE USED TO COMMUNICATE WITH AFRICANS, AMERICANS, AND AUSTRALIANS AS THERE WAS NO MEANS OF COMMUNICATION THEN.

ASK HIM HOW CARVING ON A TREE CREATED STRIPES ON THE ANIMALS WHO MATED NEARBY.

ASK HIM TO EXPLAIN THE VERSES BELOW.

4 Likes

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:38pm On Apr 15, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

I SEE YOUR GUY ABOVE TRYING TO COVER UP THE "FOUR CORNERS" BELIEF OF THE ANCIENT GOAT HERDERS WHO WROTE THE BY-BU.

ASK HIM TO EXPLAIN THE PARTS WHICH DESCRIBED "THE WATERS ABOVE THE FIRMAMENT".

ASK HIM HOW NOAH WAS ABLE TO PLEAD WITH EVERYONE TO REPENT AND JOIN THE ARK.... I'M INTERESTED IN KNOWING THE MAGIC HE USED TO COMMUNICATE WITH AFRICANS, AMERICANS, AND AUSTRALIANS AS THERE WAS NO MEANS OF COMMUNICATION THEN.

ASK HIM HOW CARVING ON A TREE CREATED STRIPES ON THE ANIMALS WHO MATED NEARBY.

ASK HIM TO EXPLAIN THE VERSES BELOW.
Butterflyleo please come and answer.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Butterflyleo: 10:45pm On Apr 15, 2018
Martinez19:
na so. If the bible writers really meant round, it would have been translated round. The language from which the old testament was translated had sufficient wordings so that such simple description wouldn't have been misinterpreted.

If kanaph simply meant extremity, where did number "four" come from if they didn't meant to say four corners?

4 extremities of the earth or 4 corners or 4 cardinal points.
Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Butterflyleo: 10:45pm On Apr 15, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

Boy don't try to mention Hippolyta again it's on the internet.
You are the one who chose to be ignorant especially when people question your faith with logic and fact.

Says the grotesquely ignorant one

1 Like

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by hahn(m): 10:59pm On Apr 15, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Things would have been easier if your god had simply appeared to your ancestors and given them a copy of the bible in your own language

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by hopefulLandlord: 11:04pm On Apr 15, 2018
How can someone accept evolution and still think Christianity is true without some stratospheric level of cognitive dissonance?

Evolution demolishes the idea of an "Adam and Eve," who are depicted as being created by "Yahweh" in the last part of Biblical Creation in the Book of Genesis. They are unrelated to any life form that came before them, per the Bible.
Without Adam and Eve . . . you have no disobedience based on them eating the fruit from the wrong tree.
Without this disobedience -- called "Original Sin" -- you have NO reason for "Yahweh" to later send a "Redeemer" for and that Redeemer = Jesus. Without Jesus, you have no basis for Christianity. it always bugs me seeing many Christians in developed countries accept evolution while still claiming Christianity is true.

I've always heard the excuse that the creation story and Adam and Eve story were actually not real or a symbolic representation or allegory or metaphor or some other word which doesn't solve it because it begs the question if you regard the beginning of the book as not literal, at what point does "literality" really start? did it start being real at Balaam's talking donkey or that's also an allegory? did it get literal at the tower of babel? Ahab? Exodus? Daniel in the lion's den? Virgin birth? Zombies waking up from their graves and walking around Jerusalem? Dead person rising from the dead after three days? but all these questions are still beside the point as the main points of Christianity is that some Jew died to reconcile the missteps of Adam and Eve. if Adam and Eve aren't real then there's no sense in the Jew dying and it makes everything look like a terrible terrible joke

6 Likes

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by danvon(m): 2:53am On Apr 16, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

Very few people believed the earth had four corners the science expedition of Columbus and Magellan was funded by the Church, evolution is pure rubbish
Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Martinez19(m): 3:35am On Apr 16, 2018
danvon:
Very few people believed the earth had four corners the science expedition of Columbus and Magellan was funded by the Church, evolution is pure rubbish
Ah! The bible already said the earth had four corners and even pillars grin.

2 Likes

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by danvon(m): 3:49am On Apr 16, 2018
Martinez19:
Ah! The bible already said the earth had four corners and even pillars grin.

"It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:"
Isaiah:40:22

1 Like

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Martinez19(m): 3:52am On Apr 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Only two dimensional circle or map is divided into four. In three dimensions, we talk about a sphere or space, which is not divided into four quadrant but eight octants. Why uses quadrants for a three dimensional earth? Besides the Hebrew language is sufficient to describe the shape of the earth without being mistaken on what it means. If it can give the complex description it gave to Ezekiel's vision why can't it handle the description of the earth?
Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Martinez19(m): 4:23am On Apr 16, 2018
danvon:

"It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:"
Isaiah:40:22
grin

1 Like

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by CAPSLOCKED: 6:17am On Apr 16, 2018
danvon:

THERE'S A CHANCE FOR ANYONE WHO CAN DISPROVE THE THEORY TO WIN A LOT OF PRIZES.

TOO BAD NOBODY IN HISTORY HAS BEEN ABLE TO DO SO WITHOUT THE DUMB LINE "GOD DID IT".

3 Likes

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by danvon(m): 8:07am On Apr 16, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

THERE'S A CHANCE FOR ANYONE WHO CAN DISPROVE THE THEORY TO WIN A LOT OF PRIZES.

TOO BAD NOBODY IN HISTORY HAS BEEN ABLE TO DO SO WITHOUT THE DUMB LINE "GOD DID IT".

Yes God did it while the only answer you produce to back evolution is "Nature did it"

We are quite similar smiley

2 Likes

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by danvon(m): 8:31am On Apr 16, 2018
Martinez19:
grin
I was just correcting that silly myth some atheists created

The science expedition was funded by the church, atheists didn't contribute anything to it but yet they use it as an opportunity to attack Christianity

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by prinzfavian(m): 9:42am On Apr 16, 2018
The Bible is in harmony with "Science" generally, but there many products of Science that the Bible never supports, one of such is evolution... The Bible never in anyway endorse or support evolution... It condemns it in fact...

4 Likes

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Martinez19(m): 1:26am On Apr 17, 2018
hahn:

Things would have been easier if your god had simply appeared to your ancestors and given then a copy of the bible in your own language
grin

1 Like

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by hopefulLandlord: 4:48am On Apr 17, 2018
prinzfavian:
The Bible is in harmony with "Science" generally, but there many products of Science that the Bible never supports, one of such is evolution... The Bible never in anyway endorse or support evolution... It condemns it in fact...

Where did the bible "condemn" evolution?

Also it might interest you to know Catholic church is accepting evolution, google "Catholic church and evolution theory" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_and_the_Catholic_Church

1 Like

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by Martinez19(m): 9:23am On Apr 17, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Also it might interest you to know Catholic church is accepting evolution, google "Catholic church and evolution theory" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_and_the_Catholic_Church
the same church that criticised evolution is now accepting it. I wonder why the holy spirit didn't tell them initially that evolution was correct. Why did god tell them that man was molded from the soil?

2 Likes

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by prinzfavian(m): 4:08pm On Apr 17, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Are you seriously asking me that question at the bolded?
We needn't even go far, Genesis 1:1 says God is the Creator of heaven and earth... But evolution don't only refute that, it further claims there is no God... So, you think the Bible supports evolution?
As per, the link you posted, it's none of my business... True Christians deal with the Bible... You want to discuss with me about something that involves God, direct me to the Bible not what some other churches says...
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by prinzfavian(m): 4:10pm On Apr 17, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

We needn't even go far, Genesis 1:1 says God is the Creator of heaven and earth... But evolution don't only refute that, it further claims there is no God... So, you think the Bible supports evolution? Show me how please.
As per, the link you posted, it's none of my business... True Christians deal with the Bible... You want to discuss with me about something that involves God, direct me to the Bible not what some other churches says...
Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by hopefulLandlord: 4:38pm On Apr 17, 2018
prinzfavian:

We needn't even go far, Genesis 1:1 says God is the Creator of heaven and earth... But evolution don't only refute that, it further claims there is no God... So, you think the Bible supports evolution? Show me how please.
Thanks.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Yes! I asked you the bolded question and its as valid as a question can possibly get

@bolded, Evolution NEVER said there is no god, that's something you're told by someone extremely uninformed or wilfully dishonest about evolution. Maybe you should find out what evolution really says rather than regurgitate nonsense someone else told you? If you insist with the claim "Evolution says there is no god" then educate me on that

@italics, I made no such claim, you're the one that stated the bible "Condemned" evolution. If you go back to your original post I quoted sir, you'll notice you said the bible didn't support evolution. that I didn't challenged but you then went on to claim that it "Condemned" evolution, this is what I'm challenging

I hope the person who liked this post of yours stick around to learn a thing or two so he doesn't go around liking such nonsense again

3 Likes

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by DoctorAlien(m): 4:56pm On Apr 17, 2018
Bible skeptics point out that the phrase “four corners of the earth” appears three times in the Bible. Surely, the skeptics claim, this must refer to a flat, square earth—thus proving that the Bible teaches a flat earth. At the very least, they reason, this shows that the Bible writers believed one of the flat earth cosmologies of the ancient world, thus proving that the Bible is not inspired, but that the people who wrote the Bible merely reflected the worldview of their times. There are some examples of flat earth cosmologies from the ancient world, but they always consisted of a flat,round earth. A circle was considered a much more perfect shape than a square, so none of the ancient flat earth cosmologies involve a square earth. If a square flat earth were the cosmology of the Bible, then it would have been at odds with every other ancient flat earth cosmology. Therefore, this attempt by the skeptics to claim that the Bible teaches a flat earth does not square (pun intended) with the facts of history.

1 Like

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by DoctorAlien(m): 4:57pm On Apr 17, 2018
Let me begin with Revelation 7:1, which speaks of four angels standing on the four corners of the earth
and restraining the four winds of the earth.
Even the most ardent students of hyper-
literal interpretation of the Bible acknowledge
the frequent poetic elements and the use of
imagery in the book of Revelation. This extends to the many occasions where
numbers appear in the book of Revelation.
In this one verse, the number four appears
three times. In each usage, the things
mentioned are intimately tied together, so
there is a one-to-one correspondence between each of the three groups of four. The four winds refer to the four directions
from which winds can come: north, south,
east, and west. We often use this
nomenclature today, such as saying that the
wind is “out of the west.” The repetition of
the number four (“four angels . . . four corners . . . four winds”) ties each angel and
each corner with one of the four compass
directions.

1 Like

Re: Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! by DoctorAlien(m): 4:58pm On Apr 17, 2018
Therefore, there is no warrant to
interpret these four corners literally,
particularly when it does not match any
cosmology. The phrase “four corners of the earth”
probably was an idiom in the Apostle John’s
time, much as it is in English today, referring
to every distant location on the earth. This is
the meaning from the context of Revelation 20:7–8, the other occurrence of the phrase “four corners of the earth” in the book of
Revelation (the King James Version has the
wordquarter here rather thancorner, though the Greek word is the same in both Revelation 7:1 and 20:7–cool. Idioms in one language can be difficult to translate into
another language, because a literal
translation may be meaningless in the target
language (imagine how a literal translation of
our idiom “You’re pulling my leg!” would be
understood in other languages).

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

VIDEO: NDLEA Officer Who Arrested TB Joshua For Drug Dealing 'Confesses'! / Coronavirus Humbles Christians And Muslims / The Gospel Of Grace Brings Salvation, Healing & Wholeness To Our Entire Lives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.