Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Very Common English Language Errors - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Very Common English Language Errors (27125 Views)

Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Very Common Mistakes in Nigerian Spoken English! / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Very Common English Language Errors by lexzybaba(m): 2:06pm On May 21, 2010
@olawoye -smiley believe me,you're a genius
and i think i'll need whatever it is that you're passing round
my email , victorizet.018@hotmail.com
victor4icon@gmail.com
thanks
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by kpakpandu: 2:14pm On May 21, 2010
thanks dear i learnt alot grin grin grin
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by MyJoe: 2:14pm On May 21, 2010
Olawoye:

Senate      / S – E – NIT /   - NOT / SI / in first syllable; and NOT / NEIT / in the second syllable
This is the one that has turned my stomach since 1999. I call /SI-NEIT/ a piece of Nollywoodese. Reason, it was shortly after the return of democracy 1999, and a Nollywood movie titled The Senator was released and the actors pronounced it /SI-NEIT/ that it all started. Before my horrified ears respected NTA and FRCN newscasters started saying SI-NEIT instead of SE-NEIT. That, of course, is to say nothing of senators themselves and the rookies that pass for broadcasters at the FM stations springing up like bad mushrooms all over the place. Please tell them its /SE-NEIT/ not /SI-NEIT/!

Note: I do not concur with you on the second syllable. The a between N and T is rendered as the weak form by most dictionaries, that is Ə, but most talking dictionaries sound it EI, so we have SENƏT where the Ə is sounded very much like EI but in a very short form.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by toluxa1(m): 2:16pm On May 21, 2010
Olawoye:

No, but I major in effective communication. I love having communication in its best spirit. Whether I am to speak Yoruba, my mother's tongue , or any other language.
To me, communication has no essence if it is not well composed.

But it is MOTHER TONGUE and not MOTHER'S TONGUE.

Thanks

PS: honoura1@yahoo.com
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by NiceHans: 2:18pm On May 21, 2010
In nigeria it's common to hear sm1 say "i dunno" while it should be "i don't know" and also u often hear people say "lemme take tha one" while it shld be let me take that one. Lols.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by ajadudu: 2:19pm On May 21, 2010
Sege 'o' law! Good job, I hope this stays in the home page for a long time.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by aroy1: 2:24pm On May 21, 2010
People often make mistake with the word "software".[/b]Same goes with "hardware".

I need to buy [b]a
software. Incorrect!
I need to buy software.Correct!

@Olawoye.
My email is aroy120@yahoo.com
For the wise, learning is really a lifelong process.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Medlabgirl: 2:25pm On May 21, 2010
lexzy_baba:

@olawoye -smiley believe me,you're a genius
and i think i'll need whatever it is that you're passing round
my email , victorizet.018@hotmail.com
victor4icon@gmail.com
thanks

[size=14pt]Hmnn[/size]

P.S. cheers olawaye.
You have a good understanding of the language.
My guess is that you did not attend one of these run-of-the-mill schools around.
[quote][/quote]

OKAY OH!! tongue tongue tongue

"Round Up" also = Gather together.

You missed the most glaring one Oga Olawoye: 99.99% of Nigerians, and I bet you do it too, say EXPANTIATE instead of EXPATIATE; which means to throw more light on, to further explain etc, and pronounced ik-spey-shee-eyt
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by dayokay(m): 2:28pm On May 21, 2010
pls am interested. odusdayo@yahoo.com is my mail address. more kudos 2 u.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Nellyon(f): 2:29pm On May 21, 2010
Thanks a bunch.But any self respecting user of the English language should know these.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by dustydee: 2:31pm On May 21, 2010
good job
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by dahcomm(m): 2:34pm On May 21, 2010
our is was is too much, anyway maybe because English Language is not our mother tongue
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Medlabgirl: 2:38pm On May 21, 2010
Nellyon:

Thanks a bunch.But any self respecting user of the English language should know these.

I wonder Sef.

AND ALSO; Since all Nigerians appear to be carrying around a Blackberry these days, they might also want to download the FREE Dictionary.com APP. Unless of course your BB is for show, then sorry oh!
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by MyJoe: 2:44pm On May 21, 2010
Medlabgirl:

You missed the most glaring one Oga Olawoye: 99.99% of Nigerians, and I bet you do it too, say EXPANTIATE instead of EXPATIATE; which means to throw more light on, to further explain etc, and pronounced ik-spey-shee-eyt[/size]
Thanks for this. But it's ek-spey-shee-eyt not ik-spey-shee-eyt
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Medlabgirl: 2:49pm On May 21, 2010
The things I want to say about this thread will make people think that I have been bitten by the very dangerous and highly communicable TPIAbug! Therefore, I will hold my peace.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by ezeagu(m): 2:51pm On May 21, 2010
Oh, there are too many. One would be silent letters, e.g Nigerians pronounce 'Listen' as 'List-in', when it is actually 'Lis-en'.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Medlabgirl: 2:53pm On May 21, 2010
MyJoe:

Thanks for this. But it's ek-spey-shee-eyt not ik-spey-shee-eyt

My Dear Darling, please go to www.dictionary.com, and kindly turn your speaker volume up. I maintain, its IK

Not to brag, but I had a perfect TOEFL score in 1996 when TOEFL was TOEFL, not now!
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by maduka001(m): 2:55pm On May 21, 2010
I've really learnt a lot from u guys! Kudos
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by DOAweb(m): 3:01pm On May 21, 2010
English Grammar lesson on Nairaland -  grin grin grin
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by rapstar: 3:02pm On May 21, 2010
this is my email= chima.imoh@annajulng.com
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by MyJoe: 3:12pm On May 21, 2010
Medlabgirl:

My Dear Darling, please go to www.dictionary.com, and kindly turn your speaker volume up. I maintain, its IK
You are right about Dictionary.com. But several other dickos, including Encarta, render it EK. I will go with them on this. But that is not to say you are wrong. It is to say there is sometimes no consensus on these things and we should be slow to "correct" others, as anyone who pays attention to grammar will realise.

Medlabgirl:

Not to brag, but I had a perfect TOEFL score in 1996 when TOEFL was TOEFL, not now!
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by firebrand: 3:16pm On May 21, 2010
very educative, pls send to, oluolusanu@yahoo.com
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by obailala(m): 3:25pm On May 21, 2010
NiceHans:

In nigeria it's common to hear sm1 say "i dunno" while it should be "i don't know" and also u often hear people say "lemme take tha one" while it shld be let me take that one. Lols.  
Spoken/oral english is different from written english
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Reptyle(m): 3:26pm On May 21, 2010
Nice one Olawoye.

Let me add the discrepancy between the use of "THIS" and "THESE"

THIS is a boy

THESE are boys

Please notice that "THIS" is used in the singular situation while "THESE" is used in the plural situation. Perhaps Olawoye can explain the above in more academic terms smiley
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by dove24u(m): 3:30pm On May 21, 2010
@OP, Send to my add: dove24u@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by conquerorb: 3:40pm On May 21, 2010
tha[i][/i]nks man .will appreciate if you can send to my box too.it is ibinghasamuel@yahoo.com.thanks
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Koolstan(m): 3:43pm On May 21, 2010
Nice work, brother. My email add is standakoolguy@yahoo.com.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by Koolstan(m): 3:44pm On May 21, 2010
Nice work, brother. My email add is standakoolguy@yahoo.com.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by toluxa1(m): 3:48pm On May 21, 2010
MyJoe:

You are right about Dictionary.com. But several other dickos, including Encarta, render it EK. I will go with them on this. But that is not to say you are wrong. It is to say there is sometimes no consensus on these things and we should be slow to "correct" others, as anyone who pays attention to grammar will realise.

Most English words that begin with Ex are actually pronounced IK e.g Example, Explain, Examination. Some pronounced as EK are Extent, Excellent.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by chimoney1: 3:54pm On May 21, 2010
i no say na one yoruba idot be this proffesor Magubane
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by toluxa1(m): 3:56pm On May 21, 2010
aroy1:

People often make mistake with the word "software".[/b]Same goes with "hardware".

I need to buy [b]a
software. Incorrect!
I need to buy software.Correct
I think I have heard Bill Gates say A SOFTWARE that will change the way people. . . .
I've also heard A SOFTWARE on BBC so I don't know where you got that. I'm not saying you're wrong sha o.
Re: Very Common English Language Errors by OAM4J: 4:11pm On May 21, 2010
op am impressed and interested.

my email is oam4j@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Ridiculous Fees On Rivers State University Portal / Burial Of 8 Kano Students Accident Victims (photos) / Bukateria, A Nigerian Pidgin Term Enters Oxford Dictionary

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.