Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness (46364 Views)

I Have Bsc In Wildlife Can I Further My Masters In Psychology In The UK / UNILAG Medical Students Slept Outside In School Due To Power Outage / Studying Psychology In Nigeria: What Are The Pros And Cons? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by churchillfrank(m): 10:14pm On Apr 17, 2018
I don't really blame her because that's almost 99 percent views of Nigerians on Psychology as a course study. Psychology is a very nice course to study but before you can get work you have do your masters degree in any field in psychology.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by roqrules04(m): 10:16pm On Apr 17, 2018
Just tell your mumsy that after your graduation in the university there are chanses that you'll get a job at the embassy or abroad grin
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by madgoat(m): 10:16pm On Apr 17, 2018
psychologist:
Your mum is mistakening Psychiatry for psychology ....

Any which way, there is fortune in any of the two courses, because 70% of nigerian's has psychological disordertongue....
Ask NwaAmaikpe, drinklimca, andyblaze, sonoflucifer, sonofmark...

A frustrated psychologist spotted. I hope the OP of this thread has seen how psychology can make someone jobless too. grin
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Fourwinds: 10:16pm On Apr 17, 2018
mankan2k7:
Psycho- Mad person
ology- study of

Your mum might be right. can't stop laughing

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Ojuororun(m): 10:27pm On Apr 17, 2018
mankan2k7:
Psycho- Mad person

ology- study of

i guess you must be a psycho person ... sad
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Dramadiddy(m): 10:28pm On Apr 17, 2018
Newbeginnings:

People are hurting themselves with drugs, the question remains is do they want the treatment or not...

I know a lot of health bloggers who stopped posting things about Nigeria and focused on America bedcause Nigerians know that health is wealth but don't care... They keep living their lives until disease nack them... In America therapists/psychologists are very important nad even the poorest of the poor have them.... The question I want to ask you is if you have ever visited one in your life... they are the ones that help with relationship, family and personal problems...
this is OPs question biko
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Uguruzik(m): 10:34pm On Apr 17, 2018
So you haven't learnt any psychological means to convince your mom? Better be a good psychologist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by linearity: 10:46pm On Apr 17, 2018
You already have your first patient.

Your success or failure in your chosen career path, will depend on your abilities to use your acquired know-hows to convince her otherwise.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Alphaman007: 10:46pm On Apr 17, 2018
Op that's an area of Psychology.... Clinical psychology.. And they work closely with psychiatrists to diagnose and treat mental disorders.. There are other areas of psychology not necessarily associated with studying mental disorders e.g industrial etc.... This is what you need to let your mum kmow.. And I've noticed serious misconceptions about not so popular disciplines like psychology... And serious work needs to be done to enlighten Nigerians... I'm a psychology graduate hoping to further my degree in clinical psychology or neuropsychology... Peace...

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by ola753(f): 10:49pm On Apr 17, 2018
Follow ur heart and convince ur mum, she will allow u when she realise that u really want to study that course
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by LharryVee(m): 10:50pm On Apr 17, 2018
Mtcheew... As if u are the first or last this will happen to... Na wu be the mod wey bring this come front page sef?? Radarada
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by bobolizim(m): 10:53pm On Apr 17, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

Nawa so everyone would be unemployed after school.Speak for yourself some people have plans either they learn a skill or start up a business.Government cannot employ everyone you create jobs for yourself.
Why would you go to higher institution of learning if at the end you would end up learning skills? Not schooling doesn't stop education. After high school, university is not meant for everyone.you could have learnt skill after high school; that doesn't decrease your chances of making it in life if you know what you're doing.
People keep following the crowd. I know you could argue that going to higher institution of learning increases one's chance of meeting new people and all.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:58pm On Apr 17, 2018
bobolizim:
Why would you go to higher institution of learning if at the end you would end up learning skills? Not schooling doesn't stop education. After high school, university is not meant for everyone.you could have learnt skill after high school; that doesn't decrease your chances of making it in life if you know what you're doing.
People keep following the crowd. I know you could argue that going to higher institution of learning increases one's chance of meeting new people and all.
What are you saying? undecided You misunderstood my post.
I talked about having a skill which could come after high school or after the university.
Formal education is important whether it is just for certificates or not.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by makydebbie(f): 11:05pm On Apr 17, 2018
I wanted to study Psychology, but my mum insisted that they don't make much money because when people have issues, they go to pastors instead. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by higherpower: 11:06pm On Apr 17, 2018
Why are you studying Psychology in Nigeria sef, so you see medicine, engineering and law?
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by BiafranDel: 11:14pm On Apr 17, 2018
makydebbie:
I wanted to study Psychology, but my mum insisted that they don't make much money because when people have issues, they go to pastors instead. grin
what did you later study
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by pennylland: 11:15pm On Apr 17, 2018
Newsprex:

The man isn't living with us. Too far to be reached easily. I just need someone that will advice her greatly. I don tire to dey explain and the people living with me are making the situation worst.

SHE DON'T WANT YOU TO BECOME MAD BECAUSE OF THAT LOVE BETWEEN MOTHER AND SON

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Nobody: 11:20pm On Apr 17, 2018
wow ure an Uite,am also studying Human kinetics and health education in University of Ibadan,living in Independence hall,guy which hall of residence are you?
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Nobody: 11:38pm On Apr 17, 2018
mankan2k7:
Psycho- Mad person

ology- study of

Where is Joro the Mofin when you need him? If her mom sees Joro, she will stop her from studying that course grin grin
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Dearlord(m): 11:45pm On Apr 17, 2018
OP, I'm totally disappointed in you.

As a psychologist this is the first test you should have passed long time ago.

So, at this point you want to start afresh?

Be serious with your studies if that course was actually destined for you.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by bobolizim(m): 12:14am On Apr 18, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

What are you saying? undecided You misunderstood my post.
I talked about having a skill which could come after high school or after the university.
Formal education is important whether it is just for certificates or not.
formsl education does not equate going to university.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Alvin007: 12:45am On Apr 18, 2018
Dear op, Is your mom a Christian? Is she religiously inclined? Is she a believer? If ‘yes’. Talk to your pastor..he can help you talk to her. Pastors have their way of brain washing members of their churches. She would give him a listening ear. Cheers..
Ps: I’m a Social Worker..(Msw)...it’s fun working with the psychiatric patients..had a lil experience at the Lambo unit/ward at UCH.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Celsony: 1:33am On Apr 18, 2018
You say she can neither read nor write, you hv no problem just tell that you hv change thats all.
Anyways wetin consign me cheesy

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Nobody: 1:49am On Apr 18, 2018
Newsprex:
Am an undergraduate in the University of Ibadan. I study Psychology as my course but my mum won't just allow me read the course in peace. She keeps telling and frustrating me that Psychology is the study of MADNESS.

The more people keeps discouraging her about the bad side of the course, the more she keeps discouraging and frustrating me to rewrite JAMB and choose another course. Meanwhile, she can't read nor write. She has a very strange mentality that can't be changed even if you advice her till 100 years to come.

Please, what should I do? Should I quit or just continue my stuff?

You have your first client as a Psychologist.
Your ability to convince here to see reasons why you want to study Psychology wins you your first clientele.
Goodluck with that..
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by wiatmppgryar: 1:50am On Apr 18, 2018
Resistive containment is without a doubt troublesome to transport forth. Adelaide blameless Spurs and even Red flags

At The spring of 10, Beijing precious time, that Spurs beaten that Nobleman 98-85 in the house to help you freeze Rodney McLeod Jerseys that playoffs. With the to start with three or more Philadelphia Eagles groups Reggie The white kind of Jerseys belonging to the adventure, that Spurs was mainly passively attacked within each of those edges belonging to the infiltration and even defensive. Adelai moreover did not persist that Stefen Wisniewski Jerseys modern sizzling hot sensing, though she or he always were able to achieve 15 elements and even sixteen rebounds on Seth Joyner Jerseys that double-double belonging to the defensive and even made his particular far better to That Spurs claimed Sidney Jones Jerseys that postseason deals. Philadelphia Eagles Jerseys The best element of that Nobleman approved NFL Jerseys the video game along with a 6-0 convenience. Adelaide Ronald Darby Jerseys then simply chipped that pungent stalemate in the Spurs. And can post-flopped that softball and even golf shot the application Randall Cunningham Jerseys simply because 2+1. When Ryan Mathews Jerseys that great within just sections, that fraudulent phase shook together a few elements. Resistive poker player, having fun with precious time layup, tech stun 5.

Wedding ceremony resistive close belonging to the king's loony forbidding Adelaide's pungent capability ditched greatly, though the anesthetist can always look ahead to an opportunity to rest that defensive history, that consistent share belonging to the back-shooting jumper additionally, the amaze sensations in bonus items are quite remarkable. Aside from that, Adelaide's very containment belonging to the defensive has eased that resistive burden suffered Ron Brooks Jerseys as a result of teammates, additionally, the pungent level was nurtured, setting that build in the team's Ron Jaworski Jerseys previous counterattack.
Considering the in general pungent rejuvenation, that Spurs functioned using elements, additionally, the a few crews up and running tug-of-war with the previous three months. Within Rasul Douglas Jerseys this aspect, Adelaide's re-emergence belonging to the adventure, spun his particular into Patrick Brown Jerseys jumper became popular, the exact same relocate and be able to enforced an important foul, crafted a few 100 % free conducts. Nevertheless Adelai do not history elements at a later time, she or he could also create that Spurs' formation as a result of conserving that rebounds and even development steals, helping to make that Spurs tremendous. When struggles, the application at long last dawns. With the playoffs, that Spurs followed.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Jimmy231: 2:46am On Apr 18, 2018
Why you they bothered yourself someone can't read nor write just tell her you have change the course then then Continue your stuff she won't know
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Guestlander: 3:53am On Apr 18, 2018
Newsprex:
Am an undergraduate in the University of Ibadan. I study Psychology as my course but my mum won't just allow me read the course in peace. She keeps telling and frustrating me that Psychology is the study of MADNESS.

The more people keeps discouraging her about the bad side of the course, the more she keeps discouraging and frustrating me to rewrite JAMB and choose another course. Meanwhile, she can't read nor write. She has a very strange mentality that can't be changed even if you advice her till 100 years to come.

With all due respect, tell her to write JAMB and study law.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by kwajahafiz(m): 4:02am On Apr 18, 2018
Why should you let an illiterate determine what you'll study in college?.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Spidermon: 4:33am On Apr 18, 2018
DuBLINGreenb:
Final decision rests on your shoulder but op do you think Fayose, Dino melaye, lie Mohammed etc are normal?
Most Nigerians are mad oh this explains why former militant/killer Ateke tom is now a king in his village, why Ojukwu is a legend, why boko harm will bury army tank in sand and Nigeria army couldn't find it, snake swallow, monkey ran away etc it's just that they have not been diagnosed yet thats why they are scared of mental assesment or psychiatric hospital so you won't be the first or the 100millionth go ahead
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by akinjuly77(m): 5:16am On Apr 18, 2018
Newsprex:

Even Mark Zuckerberg Studied Psychology before he dropped out.

Am also Studying Psychology and am much interested In Industrial Psychology, which will build and enhance my HR Skills. Giving me the ability to manage talents, hire and fire staffs appropriately.

So it all depends on what you want to do with the Course Psychology in the future. Think of that first and let her know what you wish to do with the Study of Psychology.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Kagarko(m): 6:22am On Apr 18, 2018
mankan2k7:
Psycho- Mad person

ology- study of

Psychology is the study of human mind and his behavior.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 6:23am On Apr 18, 2018
bobolizim:
formsl education does not equate going to university.
I never said so but it equates being in the classroom and having a certificate.
Don't misunderstand me again.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2016 DELSU Departmental Cut Off Mark And Screening Score / Meet Ake Agatha: The First Female SU President In Benue State University Makurdi / See Where Students Of Orizu College Of Education Charge Their Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.