Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,961 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 (22974 Views)

Kuwait’s Emir Sheikh Sabah Dies At Age 91(pics) / Beji Caid Essebsi Is Dead! Tunisian President Dies Aged 92 / 92-Year-Old Mahathir Mohamad Wins Malaysia Presidential Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Follygunners: 1:51am On Apr 18, 2018
Former first lady Barbara Bush died Tuesday. She was 92.

"A former first lady of the United States of America and relentless proponent of family literacy, Barbara Pierce Bush passed away Tuesday, April 17, 2018, at the age of 92," reads a statement from the office of former President George H.W. Bush.
Mrs. Bush served as the country's first lady from 1989 to 1993. She passed away shortly after deciding to forgo further medical treatments for her failing health. Having been hospitalized numerous times while battling congestive heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, she decided Sunday that she wanted to be "surrounded by a family she adores," according to an earlier statement released by Mr. Bush's office.

"It will not surprise those who know her that Barbara Bush has been a rock in the face of her failing health, worrying not for herself -- thanks to her abiding faith -- but for others," the statement continued. "She is surrounded by a family she adores and appreciates the many kind messages and especially the prayers she is receiving." In January 2017, Mrs. Bush and her husband were hospitalized at the same time. She was being treated for bronchitis and the nation's 41st president was being treated for pneumonia.

Mrs. Bush is one of only two first ladies in the history of the country who is also the mother of a president. Abigail Adams, the wife of John Adams, a founding father of the nation and its second president, was the mother of John Quincy Adams, the sixth U.S. president.
Mrs. Bush is the mother of George W. Bush, the 43rd president of the United States, and Jeb Bush, the former governor of Florida who ran for president of the United States in 2016.

During her tenure as the nation's first lady, Mrs. Bush, the mother of six children, was a champion for global literacy and continued the work after she and her husband left the White House. In 1989, she formed the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy, which encourages parents to read to their children.
"Literacy fits in with so many other things," she once told The Chicago Tribune. "If more people could read, fewer people would have AIDS. There would be less homelessness. I'm absolutely convinced of that."

Descendent of a president

Barbara Pierce Bush was born in New York City, New York, on June 8, 1925, to Marvin and Pauline Pierce. Her father, a magazine publishing executive, was a descendant of Franklin Pierce, a Democrat and the nation's 14th U.S. president who served from 1853 to 1857. Her mother was the daughter of an Ohio Supreme Court justice and was active in civic causes.

The third of four children, Bush later recalled a childhood where her parents would gather and read around the fireplace, fostering her early love of reading. She graduated high school from the all-girls private Ashley Hall boarding school in Charleston, South Carolina, in the early 1940s and enrolled in Smith College, a women's college in Northampton, Massachusetts. At Smith, which was racially integrated, Mrs. Bush became captain of the freshman soccer team, but she dropped out of college in 1945 at the beginning of her sophomore year. She later admitted that she was more interested in her future husband than in her studies.

She had met George Herbert Walker Bush at age 16, while at a Christmastime dance at the Round Hill Country Club in Greenwich, Connecticut. The pair were immediately attracted to each other and began exchanging letters, even as Mr. Bush completed his training to become the then-youngest pilot in the Navy. He named his bomber plane "Barbara" in her honor. The pair were engaged shortly before Mr. Bush left to fly in World War II, and they wed Jan. 6, 1945, while he was on leave.

Mr. and Mrs. Bush celebrated their 73rd wedding anniversary on Jan. 6. In an alumni magazine from Smith College, Mrs. Bush said the marriage has endured because of the couple's love for each other. "I am still old and still in love with the man I married 72 years ago," she said in the interview published in "Smith Alumnae Quarterly" earlier this month.

"George Bush has given me the world," she also said in the magazine. "He is the best -- thoughtful and loving."

For more and rest of the story... Follow the below links.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/17/politics/barbara-bush-dies/index.html
http://abcnews.go.com/US/lady-barbara-bush-dies-age-92/story?id=54490037

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by fidet1(m): 1:53am On Apr 18, 2018
RIP to the dead

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by omaolowo(m): 2:25am On Apr 18, 2018
Wife to a US President and Mother to another.

One of the children, Jeb Bush, was at various times the Governor in Florida

62 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Follygunners: 2:34am On Apr 18, 2018
omaolowo:
Wife to a US President and Mother to another.

One of the children, Jeb Bush, was at various times the Governor in Florida

Yes, Jebb was the Governor of Florida in 1999/2000 when his brother, George was a Presidential candidate and eventual President back then. George was also a former Governor of Texas for 8yrs and also spent another 8yrs as the U.S President. So was their father, Former Governor and President.

The IAH airport in Houston, TX was renamed after their father even though they bear the same name: George Bush

I guess you can say Barbara was wife and mother to several Governors and Presidents. grin

May her gentle soul R.I.P

144 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Lilshorecords(m): 2:48am On Apr 18, 2018
Need to travel to US someday

14 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by officialfestus(m): 4:18am On Apr 18, 2018
RIP

1 Like

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Nobody: 5:11am On Apr 18, 2018
RIP to the Bush Matriarch.
She lived well and long.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Yoruba4Life: 5:46am On Apr 18, 2018
R.I.P to her. May God grant the family strength to bear the loss.

3 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Sarang(f): 6:14am On Apr 18, 2018
Condolence to her familycry

Please check out my signature

3 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by DuBLINGreenb(m): 6:18am On Apr 18, 2018
Sad but I saw it coming after she gathered her family together but oyibo dey live long sha oh benefits of good health care system not here that life expectancy is worst than countries at war.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Thickcok01: 6:19am On Apr 18, 2018
Wetin? You mean bush f*****k this woman for over 70years?

2 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by eleojo23: 6:20am On Apr 18, 2018
Thíckcok01:
Wetin? You mean bush f*****k this woman for over 70years?

Smh at you

Life is not only about f***ing...

Get your head out of the gutter

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Nobody: 6:20am On Apr 18, 2018
Who she epp??
Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Authoreety: 6:20am On Apr 18, 2018
Omoh... c biography.....

Greed nd selfishness no go let any nigerian get this type of bio....

5 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Nobody: 6:22am On Apr 18, 2018
DuBLINGreenb:
Sad but I saw it coming after she gathered her family together but oyibo dey live long shall oh benefits of good health care system not here that life expectancy is worst than countries at war Syrians have higher life expectancy than us. They have about 7 living ex

Oyinbos also pay heavily for their health care system to function well...either in the form of very high taxes, or in the form of very high hospital bills./insurance premiums.

In Nigeria we want what they have in the whiteman's land...at budgets for health that are less than 2-5 billion US dollars. Impossible.

10 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by agwom(m): 6:22am On Apr 18, 2018
RIP
Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Oblitz(m): 6:23am On Apr 18, 2018
Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by ashjay001(m): 6:23am On Apr 18, 2018
Follygunners:

Yes, Jebb was the Governor of Florida in 1999/2000 when his brother, George was a Presidential candidate and eventual President back then. George was also a former Governor of Texas for 8yrs and also spent another 8yrs as the U.S President. So was their father, Former Governor and President.

The IAH airport in Houston, TX was renamed after their father even though they bear the same name: George Bush

I guess you can say Barbara was wife and mother to several Governors and Presidents. grin

I don't think, her soul was gentle, to have put up with, such strong mentongue

RIP to a wonderful mother, wife n woman.

7 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by eleojo23: 6:24am On Apr 18, 2018
Follygunners:

Her womb was blessed....

3 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by ELgordo(m): 6:24am On Apr 18, 2018
Ovoko! Jeb Bush.... Low energy

1 Like

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by adeniyi3971(m): 6:24am On Apr 18, 2018
RIP MA! you raised George well!! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by NonFarmPayrol: 6:25am On Apr 18, 2018
very powerful family

they have controlled GOVT at all levels

shocked

5 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by fydence: 6:25am On Apr 18, 2018
Person nor Go hear word for C N N today.

4 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by bush112(m): 6:25am On Apr 18, 2018
RIP one of ur son is here

3 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Nobody: 6:25am On Apr 18, 2018
If na african familiy get two presidents and governors oyinbo go dey kick . father and son both attached thier former ally iraq. War monger family

9 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by SIRKAY98(m): 6:25am On Apr 18, 2018
FULFILLED DESTINY

5 Likes

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Victorakats(m): 6:26am On Apr 18, 2018
Sad

1 Like

Re: Barbara Bush Dies At Age 92 by Lincoln275(m): 6:27am On Apr 18, 2018
RIP

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeriens Challenge Military Junta Amid Increased Insecurity and Intimidations / Grace Mugabe Claims She Beat Up South Africa Model To Protect Herself / UK Deputy PM, Dominic Raab Resigns Over Bullying Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.