Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,335 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? (6452 Views)

Why Aren't Somali Woman In Hollywood???? / Post your photos of Igbo village houses here / Why Aren't There Any Successful Black Nations In The World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 8:33pm On Mar 14, 2007
in many parts of nigeria, its forbidden for a woman to buy /own land or to buy or build a house. often times if she wants to build or buy she has to do it in her brother's name or husband's name! which means the certificate of occupancy is in someone else's name. that is risky oh! besides you arent allowed to tell anyone that you built the house and not your husband. which kind mumu culture be dis abeg?
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:39pm On Mar 14, 2007
most of my parents' stuff is in my mother's name.

Then again my mother was never a door mat slowpoke.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 8:41pm On Mar 14, 2007
@ thiefofhearts.

funny! good one!
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by debosky(m): 8:43pm On Mar 14, 2007
My mom owns her house, even my granny owned her home before she passed on, my first car was my mama's old car. moms rock cheesy

I don't think its forbidden in W Nigeria
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 8:48pm On Mar 14, 2007
@debosky
yeah i kind of notice that among yoruba women its a bit different. but did ur mum and grand mum have it in their names?
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by 4Play(m): 8:49pm On Mar 14, 2007
@topic

I don't know anywhere in Nigeria that women are not allowed these things.Please enlighten us on these places
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by kellorah: 8:57pm On Mar 14, 2007
What century are we referring to? undecided
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by debosky(m): 8:58pm On Mar 14, 2007
@ spoilt, yes they have it in their names
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by 4Play(m): 8:59pm On Mar 14, 2007
kellorah:

What century are we referring to?  undecided
Na too much Discovery Channel grin

What I think she means is what happens when a woman is widowed.In many cases the male relatives try to muscle in on the hubby's property especially if the children are still young.

That is a different thing altogether and happens a lot with poorer people
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 9:06pm On Mar 14, 2007
i own a house and when i bought it some people, who i will not name challenged me that why did i buy it in my name. that dont i know its forbidden as a woman in naija culture. i decided to throw it open cos i thought naija was waaaay past that now.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by kellorah: 9:08pm On Mar 14, 2007
shocked forbidden??
they should show me were it's written angry

all they have to say is 'can i have ur land/house' bad belle ppl
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Mar 14, 2007
na wa for this misleading posts.
Where is it forbidden for women to build houses or own property?
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:14pm On Mar 14, 2007
One chimanze dude on Nairaland was going on about how unhappy his mom is about her name not being on any of their property and how the dad buys her stuff to shut her up about it so I assume such things exist in Nigeria, just not in my family that's for sure

The whole thing about widows being bothered by the husband's family still exist and you people should stop pretending that it doesnt.

Moral of the story: Marry someone whose extended family are either dead or all literate.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by debosky(m): 9:16pm On Mar 14, 2007
Moral of the story: Make sure you get a will written hard and fast and kept securely by a lawyer.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by rookie(m): 9:17pm On Mar 14, 2007
spoilt:

i own a house and when i bought it some people, who i will not name challenged me that why did i buy it in my name. that don't i know its forbidden as a woman in naija culture.

Did you ask them to tell you who forbade it?
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by kellorah: 9:17pm On Mar 14, 2007
lol thiefofhearts  shocked grin

more like marry an educated person who knows that such 'laws' don't and shuouldn't exist
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:20pm On Mar 14, 2007
tongue

kellofish:

more like marry an educated person who knows that such 'laws' don't and shuouldn't exist

If this educated person dies, the wife will be left with his illiterate pack of wolves family.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by kellorah: 9:23pm On Mar 14, 2007
omg shocked dat's harsh cheesy

he'll b educated enough to leave a will then!
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 9:25pm On Mar 14, 2007
@ rookie

my dear i asked them to show me where it is written and they were just hammering on culture ,culture.
i tire oh! they said it makes women swollen headed and blah blah. that you shd do such things through men in the family. i know women who own lots of property. so maybe they meant village women who have no rights. i am emancipated oh and i told them to f--k off!.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:25pm On Mar 14, 2007
what if they poison this lawyer with juju?  tongue
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 14, 2007
spoilt:

i own a house and when i bought it some people, who i will not name challenged me that why did i buy it in my name. that don't i know its forbidden as a woman in naija culture. i decided to throw it open because i thought naija was waaaay past that now.

Who are these people? Some village dudes looking to dispossess you of your property by lying through their teeth?

There is NOTHING like naija culture, we have more than 100 different ethnic groups iin nigeria and certainly all of them do not have a universal culture. That one tribe has a particular outdated rule should not be extrapolated to mean this occurs every where.
I know female family members who own their own houses independent of their husbands.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 9:26pm On Mar 14, 2007
@ debosky

if you ask your husband to write will in advance the guy will think you are planning his death.  grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Seun(m): 9:27pm On Mar 14, 2007
i am emancipated oh and i told them to f--k off!.
Now that's the difference between a footmat and a human being. You go girl! cheesy

Tip About Making Wills: they can sieze your car or house, but they can't seize your dead husband's life insurance. wink
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by debosky(m): 9:27pm On Mar 14, 2007
keep a copy of the will in a safe deposit box, properly notarised wink

I won't think so, my family is comfortable thank God, so I dont think they'll be after my property,

but I will write a will not long after i'm married.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by kellorah: 9:28pm On Mar 14, 2007
the best thing is to have some things in his name, and some in urs
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:28pm On Mar 14, 2007
Lucky j girl  tongue

spoilt:

@ debosky

if you ask your husband to write will in advance the guy will think you are planning his death.  grin grin grin grin

That is true  undecided
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by akara(m): 9:29pm On Mar 14, 2007
grin

@spoilt

what parts of Nigeria does this actually apply?

grin
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by jgirl3: 9:30pm On Mar 14, 2007
My parents are amazing - if they don't own something together, they put in our names (children) but they still control it.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 9:32pm On Mar 14, 2007
i live outside the country now and its good to know that naija has moved forward oh! progress!
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Mar 14, 2007
spoilt:

i live outside the country now and its good to know that naija has moved forward oh! progress!

kai!!! Next time investigate before you hyperventilate! grin
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:35pm On Mar 14, 2007
why should she investigate something that happened to her by fellow Nigerians. Plus she DID ask a question on whether it's still going on here or not.
Re: Why Aren't Women Allowed To Build Houses Or Own Property? by spoilt(f): 9:37pm On Mar 14, 2007
@davidlyan

na you know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ibibios May Be The 4th Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria / Yoruba, A People Of Imperial History - In Pictures / Beautiful Dubai Abaya Cloth And Turkish Wears For Sales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.