Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" (36939 Views)

Professor Richard Akindele Jailed Over OAU Sex For Marks (Photo) / OAU Sex For Marks: What Monica Osagie Told Panel – Counsel / Monica Osetobe Osagie Is The Student In Sex For Marks Scandal – OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by Nobody: 4:25am On Apr 21, 2018
I'm sure this Monica has been begging for marks, and possibly trading sex for marks since her undergraduate days.

Real students don't meet lecturers for mark upgrade.
Only "Oloshos" do that. Or what did she intend to give in returns?
I think why this one became a public knowledge was possibly because the man wanted to do it five times, as alleged; or the man's cup was full, and hence , there's a need for a randy student to come into the picture.
The bottom line is that neither of them is innocent.

1 Like

Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by Nobody: 5:47am On Apr 21, 2018
redangel2017:
its not easy to come out against such reputable lecturer.. U knw what i mean.. Its a move many will not dare to take.. I admire the girls courage tho angry
I know it's not easy. but she was the one that recorded it. and she obviously let it get out so she should be ready cos I'm sure she didn't expect it to be a smooth ride after releasing it...but with or without her the lecturer will suffer the consequences of his actions
Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by BlackPantherxXx: 7:11am On Apr 21, 2018
0monnak0da:

[s]
First of all you have to DEFINE this phrase you keep parroting "begging for marks". I am sure it makes a lot of sense TO YOU

Without knowing all the facts and context then it would appear that you are beng deliberately obtuse,

Was she "begging for marks" that were undeserved or unmerited?

The honest truth is we don't know.

When people beg or pay the police it is not because they have necessarily broken the law

The power dynamics in Nigerian universities as well as our cultural context means that people are failed or marked down by vindictive lecturers ,in fact some cases have been reported where they have recruited their friends/colleagues to fail students in other courses.
Students then have no choice but to succumb ,grovel and beg.

So "begging" does not imply a request for undeserved credits . In fact it could mean a request to forego sexual demands and or requests for FAIRNESS.

We simple do not know and to talk of beggng for marks is indeed to take an uninformed judgmental position.

[b]Students are well within their rights to ask their teachers to RECONSIDER a grade there is nothing intrinsically unethical about this.
[/b]They may believe there is a glaring error or quite simply differ with the teacher's evaluation and invite them to reassess/remark their work.[/s]

I slept off halfway through your long and meaningless post.

Let me now clarify for people who still "reason" like you.

FROM the 2 audio clips released :

FACT 1 : She failed the course. She went to ask "what could be done"

FACT 2 : He foolishly offered to bang her 5x to raise her 33% to an E grade.

The police analogy is very dumb and irrelevant. Why didn't she request officially to the authorities for her scripts to be re-marked? I have seen plenty cases personally where the "scripts were called for"

I fell off my chair in laughter when i read "students are within their rights to ask a teacher to reconsider their grades"

No wonder you got the kind of education you got 0monnak0da, it is obvious all your grades were "reconsidered"... go and get 5% in Harvard and ask a lecturer to "reconsider" your grades grin

KAI, i just don't wanna be banned, otherwise grin grin grin

Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by 0monnak0da: 8:37am On Apr 21, 2018
BlackPantherxXx:

The police analogy is very dumb and irrelevant. Why didn't she request officially to the authorities for her scripts to be re-marked? I have seen plenty cases personally where the "scripts were called for"

I fell off my chair in laughter when i read "students are within their rights to ask a teacher to reconsider their grades"

No wonder you got the kind of education you got 0monnak0da, it is obvious all your grades were "reconsidered"... go and get 5% in Harvard and ask a lecturer to "reconsider" your grades grin

"failed" and asking what could be done is "begging for marks"? . You talk about the kind of education I got? education is not about marks and grades only. That is the thinking of an undergraduate mind.
You mention "schools like Harvard" Do you know where I have been? I am not her advocate and my remarks are not in her defence but specific to the issue of "begging for marks" which you seem to have made your personal anthem and mission in life. There is no evidence of begging for marks

Like I said it is foolish to talk without all the facts whch I do not have and which you certainly do not. Capitalizing the word "fact" does not make it any more factual.

Actually schools like Harvard have formal procedures for remarking and this could involve either fresh internal or external examiners .In a country like Nigeria where students are routinely intimidated students may not be aware of such procedures . There is a systemic assymmetry of information in Nigerian universities and many students are ignorant of what to do. If she asks what could be done that is not begging. He should have acted professionally, clarified her request and gven her the relevant information

1 Like

Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by AlwaysUltraPad: 8:40am On Apr 21, 2018
CandidNotes:

That call was a set up. She needed to set a trap by working on his psyche...
and you think this will stand before the law court? She led him on - that's what the court would say. Besides, she did not inform the school security about her plan to set trap for the lecturer. What's now her evidence?
Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by AlwaysUltraPad: 8:46am On Apr 21, 2018
BlackPantherxXx:

when I saw this line(below) in omonnakoda's post , I was shocked.

Students are well within their rights to ask their teachers to RECONSIDER a grade there is nothing intrinsically unethical about this.

The lecturer will escape in law court cos the girl led him on and it was consensual. He could be punished for the mark charge , but not sexual harassment.
Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by 0monnak0da: 8:54am On Apr 21, 2018
AlwaysUltraPad:
when I saw this line(below) in omonnakoda's post , I was shocked.

The lecturer will escape in law court cos the girl led him on and it was consensual. He could be punished for the mark charge , but not sexual harassment.
The reason you were shocked is your understanding of English is limited.
Students are well within their rights to ask teachers to reconsider a grade for any number of legitimate reasons.In fact there are formal written procedures for this so if you do not know inform yourself.
Even when I was in primary school I asked teachers to reconsider a grade when I thought they had made an error

In the case of unversity thesis papers many universities have clear appeal guidelines so I am not sure what it is that "shocked" you.
All these pranks like using multiple monikers fool no one
Open a dictionary and check up the meaning of "reconsider".
Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by CioAngels(f): 10:10am On Apr 21, 2018
OneSentence:
u were not invited? u saw it all over social media. u knew it concerned u and your future but u were waiting for Iv abi? u r very wise. as for the school, I believe they put out a notice for the person to come forward cos I remember reading a post that sid nobody has come forward as regards the issue. anyway with or without u the man will pay for his sins.
Yes, she has to be invited before she can go there, oh, because is not a rich man/woman.
Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by CioAngels(f): 10:28am On Apr 21, 2018
igctrader:
That girl CANNOT graduate from that school.
If the school refuse to graduate her it will then means the lecturers are confirming their atrocities. "Sex for marks"
Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by Donmeca(m): 10:28am On Apr 21, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

If I go and ask a lecturer what can be done about my bad grades...I have committed a crime?
By what legal statute exactly?

She committed no crime. It's left for the lecturer to refuse her and send her on her way. The burden of action lies 100% on the lecturer.

Please, what do you think can be done about "bad grades"? Just say if u went to beg a lecturer to award you unmerited marks for free....have u committed any crime?
Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by CioAngels(f): 10:38am On Apr 21, 2018
madgoat:

Definitely she wont. They might even decide probe her previous grades and her undergraduate grades if thats where she graduated from.
If that will be the case, it will mean that they just want save their dirty face. I'm very sure more decent and serious girls in academics will begin to expose lecturers and this will bring about seriousness in teaching by the teachers.
Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by Adedove(m): 11:30am On Apr 21, 2018
There is no other explanation for bleaching than low self esteem. Wanting to be as white as their ex.colonial masters. You are not comfortable in your skin, then you fetch Caro White; what a pity! A dark lady wants to turn white yet you claim you have pride. What a shame! M0NICA Osagie is dark, yet prof wants her body. To those who have turned their skin into black and white, endeavour to restore back the stolen mace. Let us put our efforts in changing our nation and not our skin. We are not lazy!
Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by Adedove(m): 11:34am On Apr 21, 2018
[right][/right] There is no other explanation for bleaching than low self esteem. Wanting to be as white as their ex.colonial masters. You are not comfortable in your skin, then you fetch Caro White; what a pity! A dark lady wants to turn white yet you claim you have pride. What a shame! Monica Osagie is dark, yet prof wants her body. To those who have turned their skin into black and white, endeavour to restore back the stolen mace. Let us put our efforts in changing our nation and not our skin. We are not lazy!
Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by Adedove(m): 11:35am On Apr 21, 2018
There is no other explanation for bleaching than low self esteem. Wanting to be as white as their ex.colonial masters. You are not comfortable in your skin, then you fetch Caro White; what a pity! A dark lady wants to turn white yet you claim you have pride. What a shame! Monica Osagie is dark, yet prof wants her body. To those who have turned their skin into black and white, endeavour to restore back the stolen mace. Let us put our efforts in changing our nation and not our skin. We are not lazy!
Re: OAU Sex For Marks: Monica Osagie Speaks, "I Was Never Invited By The Committee" by 0monnak0da: 11:43am On Apr 21, 2018
Adedove:
There is no other explanation
for bleaching than low self
esteem. Wanting to be as
white as their ex.colonial
masters. You are not
comfortable in your skin, then
you fetch Caro White; what a
pity! A dark lady wants to turn
white yet you claim you have
pride. What a shame! M0NICA
Osagie is dark, yet prof wants
her body. To those who have
turned their skin into black
and white, endeavour to
restore back the stolen mace.
Let us put our efforts in
changing our nation and not
our skin. We are not lazy!

Firstly I do no bleach and I disapprove of it and very often low self esteem is a factor . Where I disagree is the statement "there is no other reason"

From antiquity humans have engaged in activities which are considered "enhancements" for one reason or another.

Few people know that Tribal marks were once a fashion statement in Oyo town
In China a certain Empress once had black teeth and it became the trend to blacken teeth even if they were white
Today
People WHITEN their teeth
women wear facial make up perhaps more often than not
Men engage in Body building,
People wear tattoos
white people tan their skins and dye their hair blonde
Women wear high heel shoes
Older people with greying hair dye it

I could go on endlessly.

All the above "enhancements" may be and often are linked to self esteem but it is a huge leap to say that is always the case.

Humans are social animals and that means that often there are what psychologists call Normative pressures that are very strong which influence virtually all aspects of our lives to varying degrees in different individuals. So the driver may just be a normal human instinct to belong or conform and not necessarily self esteem.
Often people would not come out to say they do not believe in God just because of what "people will say" . That is more common than not and therefore "normal" by statistical definition

Bleaching very often has nothing to do with wanting to be like colonial masters. I do not see that as the driver at all. There are "black" people who are naturally light skinned and they are the role models. I think it is just down to the relative rarity of this and how that has come to shape perceptions socially of what "beauty" is just like black teeth and bound feet in ancient China.

The same thing is seen among white folk with blondness

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Top Reasons Why Some Girls Go Into Campus Runs. My Experience / Pictures Of A Primary School In Nigeria / National Open University Headquarters In Abuja In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.