Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,437 members, 7,815,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

If U Play Insturment Let Meet - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If U Play Insturment Let Meet (2571 Views)

If U Fancied A Lady In Ur Church, Must U Inform D Pastor Before Approaching Her? / Read This If U Are A Nigerian / Jehovah Is Brutally Wicked, He Has No Mercy ! Do Not Open If U Have Hypertension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by maedan(f): 8:55pm On May 20, 2010
Off-topic, but----I think church band players should be paid!!(I'm talking members, not the outsiders that are hired for programmes, services etc). They should be given a token, esp those known to have a challenge financially. The rich ones can afford to waive it. But no one should judge the musicians for expecting a little something. And using the Bible to "judge" today's Christians can sometimes look really mean.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by KennyG6(m): 9:07pm On May 20, 2010
maedan:

Off-topic, but----I think church band players should be paid!!(I'm talking members, not the outsiders that are hired for programmes, services etc). They should be given a token, esp those known to have a challenge financially. The rich ones can afford to waive it. But no one should judge the musicians for expecting a little something. And using the Bible to "judge" today's Christians can sometimes look really mean.
true, but some will argue they should be willing to serve God with their talents,
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by maedan(f): 9:12pm On May 20, 2010
Kenny_G:

true, but some will argue they should be willing to serve God with their talents,

Those people are myopic undecided. It's a personal choice for the players, if they will accept pay or not. But no one should consider them greedy or un-spiritual if they decide to take it.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 20, 2010
maedan:

Yes if ur vocation or occupation is full time instrumentalist u can be paid, but those that have jobs shouldn't collect even when offered. I work and earns well to the glory of God, so i dont collect despite being a choir leader in addition to being an instrumentalist
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by maedan(f): 9:30pm On May 20, 2010
toba:

Yes if your vocation or occupation is full time instrumentalist u can be paid, but those that have jobs shouldn't collect even when offered. I work and earns well to the glory of God, so i dont collect despite being a choir leader in addition to being an instrumentalist

That's cool; though something tells me that even those that are "poor" or without jobs, still refuse to collect money. While some who are comfortable and working, feel it is their right to accept payment. It's a personal thing anyway; I respect your choice.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Joagbaje(m): 10:05pm On May 20, 2010
JeSoul:

. . . but when it comes to the musicians, suddenly, they should give freely? and "glorify God with their gifts" How come visiting pastors cannot glorify God with their gifts? usually their contracts and compensation are discussed upfront when they are invited, why should it be any different for any other member of the body?

The bible specifically commanded concerning pastors and teachers. but not instrumentalist. They are not part of the 5 fold ministry.

Ephes. 4:11
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

If you have to pay instrumentalist, then you should pay ushers,greeters and chior members. What the church should do for instrumentalist, is to help them get a job; start a business etc. They can be employed by the church as staff but not for playing instruments. You employ them like any other staff , they should have their daily responsibilities.afterall You dont play instruments everydday in church. So the playing of instruments will only be a bonus.
The 1,ooo or 2,000 some collects as pay from their pastors will not even be enough to feed them . so There should be a bigger plan. a man that goes into a church for instrumentation contract is a hireling. he will have no commitment and spirituality. No loyalty. he will dissappear once there is a better offer elsewhere.Spiritual vagabonding
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by PastorAIO: 11:37pm On May 20, 2010
donnie:

I think instrumentalists who are christians should be free to define what it is they really want.

This skill that you have. . . is it it for hire or simply to glorify God? Be clear about what you want and go for it.

Many of you have opted for the lower blesssings because of shortsightedness or should I say, greed.

I mean someoine will play in a wakekeeping on thurday,  burial on friday. . . club later at night and on saturday and then church on sunday. Habba!
I mean. . . what meaneth this? You are either a christian or not. That is why I am not against those who are clear about their being 'for hire'.

Mr. Man, if you have a job at all why do you go to work on monday, go to work on tuesday, go to work on wednesday all the way to friday!!! Haba!!!! What meaneth this?

donnie:

I remember a drummer in Ikeja church years  ago who mentioned to pastor Chris that it was his birthday. He got a  car on the spot!  Now how many years of dragging with choir master after service for N2,000 can buy him that car?

I would rather have the dignity of working and getting paid for my craft than being given a 'gift', thank you very much. Even if I can't afford a car at the end of it all. I'll still have my dignity intact.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by PastorAIO: 11:46pm On May 20, 2010
Joagbaje:

Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

As much as we may not neglect to appreciate Christian musicans financially. I think its wrong for them to put money first as top priority. It is like inviting a preacher and he starts to talk about how much he will charge. He ought to come first, then we know the word of od enough to appreciate them well financially.

1 Tim. 5:17
Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

Na wa o! Does the quoted passage apply to those on the christian ministry or not. Shouldn't it apply more to pastors than to professional musicians.
Yet professional 'pastors' are making a fortune of extorting from the poor.
Second point is that the distinction between musicians and ministers is not as clear cut as it seems to be to you.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Joagbaje(m): 7:54am On May 21, 2010
My friend. Pastors dont extort the poor
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by PastorAIO: 12:09pm On May 24, 2010
Joagbaje:

My friend. Pastors dont extort the poor

Really? Well many of them do a very good impression of extorting the poor. They totally convinced me. Give them an oscar.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by ONWARDBABA: 10:27pm On May 25, 2010
tobi plz come to my rescue I NEED TO BE ADVICE YOU vicdrawar@gmail.com
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by ONWARDBABA: 8:56pm On May 26, 2010
toba hala me your phone no plz so dat i can call you plz its important vicdrawar@gmail.com
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by sholly4444(m): 4:09pm On Jan 05, 2016
May God help us all

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Is A True Christian? Let's Ask Some Major Christian Sects / All Assemblies Of God Church Members Thread / Do Not Wear Red!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.