Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,117 members, 7,811,138 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Let's Allow Youths To Contest Elections — Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Let's Allow Youths To Contest Elections — Osinbajo (388 Views)

I Won't Contest Elections Again After 2019 - Buhari / Governor Dankwambo Happy BBNaija Is Over To Allow Youths Get Their PVCs / 2019 Elections: Osinbajo Speaks On President Buhari's Second Term Bid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Allow Youths To Contest Elections — Osinbajo by Mhiztamurtala(m): 3:24am On Apr 21, 2018
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has said that young Nigerians should be allowed to run for elective public positions in the country.

He said this was especially because the youth had the capacity and competence in the fields of technology, education and other sectors of the economy.

According to Osinbajo, if the nation's youths are old enough to vote, they should be old enough to run for elective offices.

The vice president stated this at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja on Thursday while receiving a delegation of Not-Too-Young-To-Run campaigners.

The Not-Too-Young-To-Run campaign is predicted on a bill before the National Assembly seeking to alter sections of the 1999 Constitution to reduce the age limit for running for elective offices in the country.

The vice president maintained that the age people run for elective offices is not as important as their competence.

He, however, emphasised that it was important for the youth to acquire the required skills that would prepare them for political leadership.

He urged the youth to develop their capacities and skills in different areas in order to contribute to leadership, governance and national development.

He stated: "I must congratulate you for ensuring that you saw it (the push for the bill) to the point that it is now where all that is required is presidential assent. If you are old enough to vote, then you should be old enough to run for office.

"I think that whatever age a person chooses to run for office shouldn’t matter at all; that for me is a fundamental principle, it really doesn’t matter, even if you’re much younger or older in age, the more important issue, my worry always is so much the preparedness of young people, the preparedness of anyone, young or old.

“It is the same way that if you are going to be a pilot or medical doctor, you need to get some training by devoting your time and resources to a call. Even football requires skills.

“Practically in any field, you are required to show competence. And in our developing economy, there is need for us to set the bar much higher, not in terms of age, but in terms of competence. We need to set the bar because we are a developing economy, because we don’t have the time to waste on mediocrity.”

The vice president urged the youth to support the anti-corruption campaign and efforts towards enhancing national development.

Source: https://www.media24ng.ml/2018/04/lets-allow-youths-to-contest-elections.html?m=1
Re: Let's Allow Youths To Contest Elections — Osinbajo by Westbestside: 3:32am On Apr 21, 2018
If they allow youth, make I bend. These people know that will be the end of them.
Re: Let's Allow Youths To Contest Elections — Osinbajo by bigtt76(f): 6:05am On Apr 21, 2018
Oga nobody is stopping us on! Just that we are too divided to accept we all cannot contest at the same time grin
Re: Let's Allow Youths To Contest Elections — Osinbajo by Amaso99(m): 6:09am On Apr 21, 2018
Damage control
Re: Let's Allow Youths To Contest Elections — Osinbajo by Cutehector(m): 6:13am On Apr 21, 2018
bigtt76:
Oga nobody is stopping us on! Just that we are too divided to accept we all cannot contest at the same time grin
the truth....
Re: Let's Allow Youths To Contest Elections — Osinbajo by Cutehector(m): 6:15am On Apr 21, 2018
Contesting in Nigeria as a youth is not a privilege, its not something that one should decide to give to the youths as a Christmas gift..

If all these yahoo boys can just back me up financially for presidency , I will make sure yahoo yahoo is legal.. grin

(1) (Reply)

Buratai: Restoring The Global Image Of The Nigerian Army / NIPOST Generated N20.62bn In 2017 / 2019 Election It Won’t Be Easy To Remove Incumbents – Says Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.