Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,118 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? (34349 Views)

N65 Charge On Third-party ATM Withdrawals Takes Effect Today / CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms / N100 Monthly Charge On First-Bank ATM Withdrawals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by walcolm(m): 3:37pm On Jul 13, 2010
@All,

i did not read all the posts incase an answer to my question had already been provided earlier, i have an ATM debit against my account with FBN that has been pending for 6months. is it possiblle to investigate the transaction via interswitch? does anyone know a contact i can get in touch with?

thanx in advance
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by live4love: 4:48am On Jul 16, 2010
pls log onto thier website and lodge a complaint via the contact e-mail address. I am sure First bank is reliable.
best of luck[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by benchwest: 12:04pm On Jul 16, 2010
please i reside abroad and i have a savings acount with bank phb, but i really wonna know if my account is save.is it posible that bank workers could withdraw your money from ur account?,i dont have any card for the savings account,
will apreciate coments on this ,
secondly, what happens if the troubled banks are sold, i mean those of us that have account with the troubled banks, if they are sold, wil our accounts remain sam ?.

thx
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by stagger: 4:03pm On Jul 16, 2010
benchwest:

please i reside abroad and i have a savings acount with bank phb, but i really wonna know if my account is save.is it posible that bank workers could withdraw your money from your account?,i dont have any card for the savings account,
will apreciate coments on this ,
secondly, what happens if the troubled banks are sold, i mean those of us that have account with the troubled banks, if they are sold, wil our accounts remain sam ?.

thx

It is possible that bank workers can withdraw money from your account but even if it happens, it can be traced and since it is an in-house issue, you will be re-imbursed if that occurs.

Sale of any troubled banks is not liquidation. It is simply transfer of ownership. What will happen is that a new investor (s) will buy off the equity that the Fed Govt has acquired by the cash injection into the troubled banks. The move will actually be better for customers because the process will produce the best hands to manage the banks, so the era of giving out loans to cronies of the bank executives at the detriment of businesses that actually need those loans will hopefully come to an end.
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by benchwest: 9:35pm On Jul 16, 2010
thx a lot for ya concern tager.cheers
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by stagger: 7:00pm On Jul 23, 2010
The ebook is now ready:

How to Protect Your Bank Account From ATM Fraudsters. Available on http://2incstore.com/atmprotect.htm.
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by fred4alabi(m): 10:50am On Jul 24, 2010
The same thing happened to me the same way. i checked my balance on-line in my office before i left office at about 6pm. on getting home at about 7.15pm, i wanted to make a withdrawal and realize my account was empty. i couldn't run to the bank at that time than to wait till next morning. On getting to the bank, they started pittying me and were so helpless. they laughed at my letter of petition. up till today, I've gotten to response since may 12Th. in no doubt, there are fraudsters among GTB bank staff and they carryout this operation while they are closing. i have resolve not to use ATM again as am advised by their bankers. i just witdraw what i need for the week every Monday.

the worst part of it is that they are not doing any investigation because they know they are not innocent of it. i will stop using GTB and i advise everyone to close their accounts with them. everyone that had been defrauded via This means had banked with GTB, why GTB?

GTB Oleeeeee!!!!!
GTB Oleeee!!!!!!
[/size][size=8pt]
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by cnonyelu(m): 1:18pm On Aug 26, 2010
The first thing your customer service officer would ask you to do at GT Bank is to change your ATM pin as soon as you receive your card.That rules out an Insider abuse.
Every GT Bank branch has a CCTV camera covering the front yard.
One other point you didn't state was when the event occurred, because GT Bank has asked their customers to return their old ATM cards as it will expire on August 31, 2010. They are to be replaced with a mastercard ATM that is more secure.
If you have the new one, then I'm afraid your card was compromised. No case there.
ENJOY!!!
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by fred4alabi(m): 2:45pm On Aug 26, 2010
cnonyelu:

The first thing your customer service officer would ask you to do at GT Bank is to change your ATM pin as soon as you receive your card.That rules out an Insider abuse.
One other point you didn't state was when the event occurred, because GT Bank has asked their customers to return their old ATM cards as it will expire on August 31, 2010. They are to be replaced with a mastercard ATM that is more secure.
If you have the new one, then I'm afraid your card was compromised. No case there.
ENJOY!!!

I believe you work at GTB and had not been defrauded by this means before. I am quite aware of the rudimenst you are trying to explain, and coplain is that despite all that, people still get defrauded. The anoying part is that the bank dont do anything about it. My case happened May 12th 2010 before the campeighn for change of ATM card started. they told me, they would investigate and at least get the picture of the perpatrator, and till now 26th August 2010, they havent gotten me the picture nor even made a call to tell me how far. Am trying to get over it, so dont get me upset the more by trying to defend GTB. let them just get me the picture as promised and leave the rest to me.
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by cnonyelu(m): 3:26pm On Aug 26, 2010
enjoy!!
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by stagger: 2:42am On Aug 27, 2010
cnonyelu:

ENJOY!!!

Always annoying to see bankers defending the indefensible. How does changing the PIN rule out insider abuse? If you had read this thread from the beginning, you would have seen that all the incidents occured way before the card recall. As we speak, my wife's card is missing in bank transit. Between the head office and her branch, no one can tell her where her card is.

So don't come here and start talking as if we are all daft and have no brains! angry
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by madejibo: 2:41pm On Sep 08, 2010
It is all about GTB and ATM fraud Haba
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by hectorswag(m): 6:45pm On Sep 08, 2010
i'm confused myself undecided
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by Ayowumie(m): 4:36pm On Sep 17, 2010
I will implore you to first of all try to use diplomacy. Lets see where that goes. This is because, GTB (and all the banks)usually issues disclaimer dissolving them of any liability associated with withdrawal through the use of ATM card after a customer might have collected the card from the bank.
If you decide to sue them, i am sure that they can ultimately afford the best defense lawyer and so the lawyer might argue that you withdrew the money yourself except of course if you can establish that you were not within 500 metre radius of where the withdrawal was allegedly made. This happened to a friend of mine 2 years ago and First Bank only said he could go and bring his lawyer for all they care. In any case may be you should try to contact the EFCC if there is anything they could do (atleast they could persuade the bank to give you up to half of the amount on certain conditions)

GOOD LUCK!
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by oada: 3:00pm On Sep 20, 2010
You can avoid being defrauded by these ATM fraudsters. Go get a verve card which is chip and PIN. It is certainly more secure. But please be careful on how you expose your card details and you PIN. If you still use a magnetic stripe card please ask your bank for a change to chip and pin. If you dont really understand what i mean, go to your bank and ask questions. It is best to protect yourself than allow yourself to get hurt and then looking for redress.
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by stagger: 3:18pm On Sep 20, 2010
Got a publication on ATM card protection. Go to www.2incstore.com/atmprotect.htm
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by LegacyGrp(m): 10:43am On Sep 21, 2010
if it's the kind of cash you can leave, leave it. you would end up spending more money taking them to the court, unless you just wanted to keep nairalanders busy!
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by labonte: 12:37am On Sep 22, 2010
Atm Withdrawal fraud is going on now at Oceanic bank
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by denny4ril: 9:20pm On Oct 07, 2010
illegal ATM withdrawal has been very rampant these days and it is up to each one to beware. Never disclose ur ATM card PIN NUMBER to anyone or use ATM machines at Non-banking designated areas. These tips will help a lot.
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 19, 2010
go to your bank and complain, they will help you out
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by initiate: 12:18pm On Oct 28, 2010
ideally CBN should take a stand here. Moreover Sanusi is always touting about protecting the depositor. I suggest a special department should be opened at CBN where victims could lodge their complains and receive prompt attention and relief. ANd there should be clear penalty for banks that compromise their security. this is important because most fraud have internal support from the bank staff.
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by orekinky: 12:23am On Oct 30, 2010
same happened to my company account with UNION BANK. have been on it, write series of letter, was advised not to get a lawyer as the case wil be passed to legal dept and might take decades. 403,600 was withdrawn in a day, even a transfer of 210,000 was made to one company on Lagos island with series of 20k withdrawn and they find it difficult to investigate. thank you all for the advice
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by orekinky: 12:28am On Oct 30, 2010
whoever knows how to go about this issue should please for the sake of God give me a link. its happens since June up till now no response bout my case.
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by stagger: 3:18pm On Nov 07, 2010
Orekinky, text me on 08027601655 so i can do some work on this for you. I can trace the source of this theft. Your call.
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by Nick1: 6:00am On Nov 08, 2010
Does anyone know the rationale behind UBA charging monthly fees to access my NRN accounts. Other reputable banks have long dropped this evil. I will appreciate good comments, suggestions and ideas on how to move forward about it. Thanks.
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by agitator: 8:32am On Nov 08, 2010
stagger:

Got a publication on ATM card protection. Go to www.2incstore.com/atmprotect.htm

this guy sef u no dey tire with your crap ebook?
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by belamour(m): 12:57pm On Nov 08, 2010
WHY DO YOU PUT ALL BLAMES ON THE BANK, HOW ABOUT THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMPANY? THEY BOTH WORK HAND TO HAND, THERE SYSTEM IS ALREADY PROGRAMMED AND I SEE NO REASON WHY YOU WOULD RECEIVE YOUR ALERTS LATELY EXCEPT FOR THE POOR SERVICE OF OUR TELECOMMUNICATIONS. THE BEST PERSON IN POSITION TO HELP YOU IS YOUR ACCOUNT OFFICER. TRY TO TALK TO HIM POLITELY AND YOU WILL HAVE THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by stagger: 2:01pm On Nov 08, 2010
Agitator, Where in my post (which you quoted) did i about an ebook? You want to take me on? You can take you stupidity and shove it up your ass! Fool!
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by sonofniger: 5:14am On Jan 24, 2011
I am also one of the many victims of financial loss through GTB. I initially got a response that my case was being attended to and that I will soon get a response but for over one year now and despite several letters, I am yet to get a response from the bank. I agree with several other contributors that the banks are taking advantage of the lax laws. However, there must be something that we can do, I have tried reporting to several relevant agencies but not to much avail. However at a meeting where an EFCC official was present, he suggested that since EFCC does not invesitgate claims less than 5miillion naira, that people who have suffered similar loss could come together to make their claim up to/ over 5million and make a joint submission to EFCC for investigation. I wish to ask memebers of these forum who have suffered loss through GTB to come together and let us submit this claim. Any other suggestions on how best to retrieve our funds from GTB is welcome
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by royalguru: 11:11am On Feb 03, 2011
Thats very bad
Re: Illegal ATM Withdrawals: How To Seek Justice? by sonofniger: 4:27pm On Feb 03, 2011
The banks are ripping us off and not paying serious attention to frauds because there is a lax government that is not holding them liable. One must think of legal options with minimal economic implications to get banks to accept laibility.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Student Selling Ofada Rice In Uniform (Photos) / Bernard Madoff: The Man Who Ran The World's Largest Ponzi Scheme Dies / BUA Promises To Reduce Cement Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.