Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Emergency: Are Our Exam Bodies Not Aware Of This? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Emergency: Are Our Exam Bodies Not Aware Of This? (611 Views)

Shortage Of Dead Bodies Not Helping Anatomy Study In Nigeria – Prof. Ajao / How public exam bodies aid malpractice / We Are Not Aware Of Lautech’s Resumption, ASUU, SSANU Say (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emergency: Are Our Exam Bodies Not Aware Of This? by ojotask: 11:24am On Apr 24, 2018
This one breaks me all the time...

Yesterday I was telling my younger brother of how I heard of a certain science teacher in my locality who went online to get values for physics practical experiments last year instead of doing the experiments with his students and they all failed when the results came out....

And my brother remarked...

"He didn't get his values from the right site na."

He further enlightened me as he had done before, on several sites on the internet where by sending recharge cards of N400 naira, students have access to questions and answers of the exams they are writing, real-time. With a subscription of N800 naira the answers are sent directly to your phone, with N400 naira you have to go online to get your answers.

These sites always have all exam papers, probably a day or two before the exams. And they have the solutions too. And they are several of them: Naijaclass.com, Examcrown.com, Exponet.com, examsort.com, Gurus.com, etc. doing adverts, competing for patronage like legitimate businesses.

On these sites are the testimonies of Nigerian students. "Thank you Bleep for making me pass." "God bless you for saving me." "You people are the best, I have so so distinctions." I just saw the testimony of a student on Exam Crown who got 7 A1 and a B3 from using their service.

I went to one such sites yesterday at the risk of getting a heart attack. I always knew they existed but had deliberately avoided them. And lo, in front of me were solutions to the physics exam students were sweating in the hall on yesterday. The solutions online were posted on the 19th, a day before the exam. Students typically have access to the solutions a few minutes to the commencement of the exams, of course to make maximum 'sales' as PINs could be shared if the answers were released earlier. Several of these students still need the cooperation of invigilators and their schools to use their phones in the exam halls to access the answers, while others take advantage of large examination centres to do their thing surreptitiously. Visit one of these sites and see how so damn easy it is to pass. It breaks my heart as a teacher.

My bro says those sites basically insult NECO. Their own questions are online two days before the exams, sometimes they do bonanza and give people answers for free for NECO exams. When WAEC sends teachers specimen lists ten days before the exams these guys have them online weeks before the exams.

See what education in our country has been reduced to. Why will our students read when they can pass with N400 naira recharge cards? Why will they not laugh at the teachers that try to make them study hard? When a budget of 4000 naira will get them through ten subjects. Why do we train students for six years in secondary school and not let them write their exams because we are doing "business"? Why does everything about this society has to be about making money?

So we have students getting 8 distinctions now and 300 in UTME yet having no substance in their heads. These ones will gain admissions into university, blocking the chances of the good students who legitimately got their 5 credits and 220 in UTME. So many of our good students won't gain admission. My John James couldn't gain admission with a score of 260+ in UTME last year. God'stime is a great student but he'd be lucky to gain admission with his 280+ this year.

Why are we so messed up as a country? Why does insanity thrive so openly? Who are these Nigerians who are destroying this system for pecuniary gains? Aren't they the same Nigerians who complain daily of the state of this country? Aren't they the youth who should be the future of this country? The same young people who cry daily of how our father's generation failed us? Have we all gotten to the point were we've decided that Nigeria is irredeemable and the only course of action is burning its rubble to ashes?

The rot in education is particularly sad, because it has ripple effects, spreading across all sectors. Imagine students using these sites to get 8 distinctions and 330 so they can go study medicine and surgery to become doctors. Imagine them wanting to become engineers, scientists, lawyers, etc. They'd most likely have to oil their way through school and come out deficient in whatever fields they find themselves in...even with great results.

Are our exam bodies unaware of these sites? Are we saying nothing can be done? Can the phone numbers these recharge cards are sent to not be tracked? Can the sites not be shut down somehow?

I just don't understand this country. Tiring.
Copied

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Emergency: Are Our Exam Bodies Not Aware Of This? by sotall(m): 11:36am On Apr 24, 2018
grin grin
Lalasticlala , mynd44

Frontpage material..
Re: Emergency: Are Our Exam Bodies Not Aware Of This? by Ipfreely: 12:59pm On Apr 24, 2018
Unfortunate state of affairs.
Re: Emergency: Are Our Exam Bodies Not Aware Of This? by somehow: 1:00pm On Apr 24, 2018
It seems you just woke up. Education died some years ago in Nigeria. Died since 2010. What we have now is copy and paste. Useless questions and answers that can't add any value to the students or the world at large.

Real education is missing here.

A country that can invent or produce can be said to be educated.
Re: Emergency: Are Our Exam Bodies Not Aware Of This? by Godhead4(m): 4:23pm On Apr 24, 2018
And there is nothing the exam bodies can do about it.
Almost everyone is corrupt
Re: Emergency: Are Our Exam Bodies Not Aware Of This? by EliteMike(m): 5:21pm On Apr 24, 2018
Where do this sites gets their questions from?? From the gods No be the exam officials dey give them the questions?? Forget about fighting corruption in our country... tis gone
Re: Emergency: Are Our Exam Bodies Not Aware Of This? by OlufemiOAP(m): 4:55pm On May 21, 2018
Ant wey dey chop vegetable dey under vegetable says a Yoruba Adage. Lemme comman be going
Re: Emergency: Are Our Exam Bodies Not Aware Of This? by CodeTemplar: 4:59pm On May 21, 2018
These once will go ahead and sort through PUME and graduate will a huge sense of entitlement that govt owes them job when they realize they aren't productive.

(1) (Reply)

Meet Oduenyi Chidera An Outstanding Student In The Just Concluded WAEC 2018 Set. / Vmware VCAP6.5-DCV Design 3V0-624 Exam Questions - Quick Tips To Pass / Half Baked Graduate, Whose Fault?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.