Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others (4914 Views)

CBN Moves Against Banks For Hoarding $5billion / CBN Moves To Boost Financial Inclusion / Why We Sealed  off Banks, Others - Enugu State Board Of Internal Revenue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by alphonsojaybaz: 5:42am On Apr 26, 2018
MONEY LAUNDERING ACT: CBN MOVES AGAINST NON-COMPLIANT BANKS, OTHERS
source: http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2018/04/money-laundering-act-cbn-moves-against.html

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has rolled out sanctions for banks and other financial institutions (OFI) that do not comply with the new Anti Money Laundering and Combating Financial Terrorism (AML/CFT) Act. The apex bank’s move follows the recommendation of the Inter-Governmental Action Group against Money Laundering in West Africa (GIABA) that Nigeria step up its enforcement of the new law. Eyes Of Lagos gathered that, CBN, in a circular issued and signed by its director, Financial Policy and Regulation Department, Kevin Amugo, said the new sanctions which had been gazetted since February 2018, would take immediate effect. “Pursuant to the requirements of the Financial Action Task Force recommendation 35 on effective proportionate and dissuasive sanctions at the 2007 Mutual Evaluation recommendation that Nigeria’s AML/CFT sanctions regime be reviewed and made to be proportionate and dissuasive, the CBN, in collaboration with the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation, has developed a robust administrative sanctions regime. “Banks and other financial institutions are by this circular informed of the attached CBN AML/CFT administrative sanctions regime, the application of which comes into effect as at the date of the gazette,” the circular read. According to the new administrative sanctions, deposit money banks (DMBs) who fail to establish written AML/CFT policies and procedures will be slammed a N20 million fine while microfinance banks (MFBs), finance companies (FCs), bureaux de change (BDCs), state primary mortgage banks(PMBs) and national PMBs will be fined N300,000, N500,000, N1 million and N5 million respectively. “Deposit money banks which fail to put in place guidelines for risk assessment and profiling of customers in the institutions will be slammed a fine of N3 million, the chief risk officer will be slammed with a fine of N1 million – they will be charged N100,000 per account; while managing directors or heads of risk management units of MFB, FC/BDC/state MFB, PMB/national MFB and other financial institutions will be fined a minimum of N100,000, N300,000, N500,000 and N1 million.” The circular also stated that each member of the board of a DMB with non-existent policy on prohibition of numbered or anonymous accounts and accounts in fictitious names will be penalised with a fine N1 million, the DMB will be fined N15 million while the board members of financial institutions, such as MFB, FC/BDC/state MFB, PMB/national MFB, will be slammed with a fine of N100,000, N300,000 and N500,000 each. The financial institutions will be fined a minimum of N300,000, N500,000, N1 million and N3 million. “Failure of the board and management to consider and document ML/TF risks as part of the approval process for the expansion of business (including introduction of new products and services) will attract a penalty of N15 million on the DMB and financial institutions such as MFB, BDC/FC/state MFB, state PMB/national MFB, national MFB will be fined N100,000, N200,000, N300,000 and N500,000 respectively.” He further stated that failure by DMBs to appoint an AML/CFT compliance officer in each office branch/subsidiary or cluster area will attract a penalty of N500,000 on each member of the board and N10 million for DMB, each member of the board of national MFB and national PMB will be fined N300,000 and N500,000 respectively, while OFIs such as national MFB and PMB will be charged N2 million and N5 million respectively. He warned banks and financial institutions to comply with the rules to avoid them being penalised.

Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by slimfit1(m): 5:51am On Apr 26, 2018
They still created a place for loopholes. Tell me what 300.000 fine will do to me when i give the board extra 2 million or even more to transfer 1 billion . We are not all fools you know. This is not a deterrent a jail term would make more sense.

3 Likes

Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by anath(m): 6:32am On Apr 26, 2018
I think EFCC is waking up now cos election very very close. Last minute fight may provided some point for election campaigns
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by nNEOo(m): 6:55am On Apr 26, 2018
slimfit1:
They still created a place for loopholes. Tell me what 300.000 fine will do to me when i give the board extra 2 million or even more to transfer 1 billion . We are not all fools you know. This is not a deterrent a jail term would make more sense.

Thought i was the only one that saw the yeye figure.

For god sake who launders anythng below 500milion these day?

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by inoki247: 7:22am On Apr 26, 2018
Make i go open Akant for Australia or Austria no one can restrict mai akant...
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by DIYhackers: 7:23am On Apr 26, 2018
This people stealing the real money don't need all these restrictions. They have their way around it.
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by stevio(m): 7:25am On Apr 26, 2018
Since Buhari has been the most mentioned name in Nigeria this past year, i think Oxford dictionary should consider creating a space for him in the dictionary. like; 
Buhari: /boo-ha-ree/ nouns: Buhari 1. hard, hardship, difficult, harsh, tough. e.g the economy is now Buhari for the masses 2. to complicate, make worse, unbearable. e.g "please don't come and Buharificate issues here". "the only way to reduce applicants is to Buharify the process. Adjective : e.g how was your exam? it was Buharific! grin

1 Like

Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by hrykanu231(m): 7:27am On Apr 26, 2018
Hehehehe election fever, Baba even if you collect Bakassi from Cameroun and annex south Africa to Nigeria, the bloodletting in your administration will mk us send u back to Daura
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by Ibibioesan(m): 7:28am On Apr 26, 2018
meanwhile saraki visits Dino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwyDT-KlFXY
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by MrKorky(m): 7:29am On Apr 26, 2018
Plantain farm @140k only.  Smart Investors are taking advantage of the 2 in 1 Investment opportunity. 

1.You own a farmland (Which is Real estate) .

2. You start earning from your land the same year of purchase. We plant, insure, manage the farm, buy your harvest and pay you. GUARANTEED. We take the stress off you. What more can be beautiful than this? Get Started Now. Call /WhatsApp .....Tollani on 08064078616

Take Action Now!

Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by pentals: 7:33am On Apr 26, 2018
someone help a brother with [5,000] please i really appreciate thanks
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by lonelydora: 7:33am On Apr 26, 2018
slimfit1:

Just imagine what they are saying? Jail term is better.
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by Tego(m): 7:34am On Apr 26, 2018
*EOWODUNNI CONSULTANTS* .... Architectural Design,Consulting, Construction, and General services. Phone:08065236328 Email: owodunn.emmanuel@gmail.com
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by Tego(m): 7:34am On Apr 26, 2018
*EOWODUNNI CONSULTANTS* .... Architectural Design,Consulting, Construction, and General services. Phone:08065236328 Email: owodunn.emmanuel@gmail.com
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by Fitnessman(m): 7:35am On Apr 26, 2018
Hmm..good morning Nigeria
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by Tego(m): 7:36am On Apr 26, 2018
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by Kunkiddo(m): 7:37am On Apr 26, 2018
check my signature and register
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by Nobody: 7:40am On Apr 26, 2018
Fools. Make una explain d money GEJ withdraw
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by Truckpusher(m): 7:48am On Apr 26, 2018
slimfit1:
Don't mind them.

Why wouldn't they handle it with levity when they are the ones laundering money - Poor Nigerians can't launder money.

They make the rules not to make themselves victims of the same rule while portraying themselves as champions against corruption before their gullible miserable believers.
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by Truckpusher(m): 7:49am On Apr 26, 2018
MrKorky:
Plantain farm @140k only.  Smart Investors are taking advantage of the 2 in 1 Investment opportunity. 

1.You own a farmland (Which is Real estate) .

2. You start earning from your land the same year of purchase. We plant, insure, manage the farm, buy your harvest and pay you. GUARANTEED. We take the stress off you. What more can be beautiful than this? Get Started Now. Call /WhatsApp .....Tollani on 08064078616

Take Action Now!
You work across the nation or just one particular region ?
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by Drnice: 7:57am On Apr 26, 2018
CBN: "silent money launderers." Plizi, Are They Themselves(CBN) Saint? Remember, a Geek is always a Geek.
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by Kobicove(m): 8:05am On Apr 26, 2018
slimfit1:

If they enforce a jail term then over 90% of bankers in Nigeria including employees of the Central Bank of Nigeria would end up in jailundecided
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by MrKorky(m): 8:11am On Apr 26, 2018
Truckpusher:
You work across the nation or just one particular region ?

Across the Nation. We have farms in Lagos, Ogun, Edo and many more
Re: Money Laundering Act: Cbn Moves Against Non-compliant Banks, Others by Horus(m): 8:32am On Apr 26, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oR50pxoXjI

BVN Policy and Money Laundering

(1) (Reply)

Ogun May Become Highest Producer Of Cement By 2012 – Amosun / Naira Hits All-Time Low Against The US Dollar / Investment Schemes, Mlm, Hyip Etc Do They Actually Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.