Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,712 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:14 AM

Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered (1588 Views)

Animals (Udhiyah) To Be Slaughtered For 'Eid Al-Adha / Do Muslims See Visions And Fall In Trance? / A Camel Slaughtered For Sallah In My Area! (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered by Factfinder1(m): 10:32am On Apr 26, 2018
Please I would like to know why Muslims eat frozen fishes that wasn’t slaughtered and died with blood in them prior to being caught alive and allowed to die because of lack of water isn’t that Haram or what ever you call it
Re: Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered by madridguy(m): 10:35am On Apr 26, 2018
All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

First of all, Allaah is not questioned about what He does; Allaah Says (what means): {He is not (to be) questioned about what He does, but they will be questioned.}[Quran 21:23] So, a person should submit himself to what Allaah has legislated, and Allaah does not legislate something except for a wisdom which we might or might not know. Indeed, it is reported in a Saheeh [authentic] Hadeeth that fish is lawful to eat; the Prophet said: "There are two dead animals that are lawful for us (to eat): they are fish and locust..." [Ahmad and Ibn Maajah]
Nonetheless, it is permissible to seek the reason behind (a given) legislation, and it may be that the wisdom behind not slaughtering the fish is that dead fish is pure as it has no (flowing) blood that remains in it due to its death unlike livestock and other animals that must be slaughtered according to Islamic rites so that they can be lawful to eat as its dead animals are impure because they have blood that remains in it due to its death, so they cannot be pure except through slaughtering it (while being alive) according to Islamic rites.

Ibn Al-Qayyim said: “The dead animals are forbidden because witnesses (fluids), excretions and harmful blood remain in it, hence slaughtering is a reason for making it lawful to eat because it removes these excretions and blood. As regards death itself, it does not lead to prohibition since it takes place by slaughtering in the same way it takes place by other reasons, so if there is no blood and excretions in the animal, which are removed by slaughtering according to Islamic rites, it does not become forbidden by its death and it is not a condition to slaughter it in order to make it lawful to eat, as is the case of locusts. That is why what does not have flowing blood does not become impure by death, like flies, bees and the like, and fish is the same like them, because if it had blood and excretion that remain in it by its death, it would not be lawful when it dies without being slaughtered according to Islamic rites.”
Allah Knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=156789

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered by Rashduct4luv(m): 1:04pm On Apr 26, 2018
In Simple terms Islam is a religion of rules/rulings!

Every food is permitted except the ones that are expressly forbidden!

All Goats, cattle, sheep, etc are to be slaughtered carefully making sure that the blood flows out of the animal. They are not to be killed carelessly or mercilessly.

On the other hand, all sea animals are permissible for a Muslim except crocodiles (which has fangs and can live on land) and frogs. Animals like turtles without fangs that can live on land should be slaughtered properly!

In general, harmful/poisonous foods are haram whether it comes from water or otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered by AlBaqir(m): 2:19pm On Apr 26, 2018
Factfinder1:
Please I would like to know why Muslims eat frozen fishes that wasn’t slaughtered and died with blood in them prior to being caught alive and allowed to die because of lack of water isn’t that Haram or what ever you call it

# The philosophical argument of slaughtering animals is to release large amount of blood. Those (permissible to be eaten) animals have flowing blood which circulate all over their system/body because of their powerful cardiovascular system. Blood is a great carrier of diseases (bacteria, viruses etc). By slaughtering via cutting of jugular veins around neck, large amount of blood is released out. This is one of many reasons dead animals are forbidden to be eaten. Dead animals have their blood clotted inside them.

# On the other hand, the cardiovascular system in fishes is very very weak. Fishes die easily once they leave their natural habitat. Most of fish blood is concentrated on the gills which are usually removed out and other parts are washed off blood stains.

Yet, there are fishes (especially the scaleless ones) that are not advisable to be eaten. Scales in fishes protect their skin/body from toxic chemicals (like Arsenic, mercury and heavy metals generally) in water. Fishes with no scales have large amount of these harmful chemicals deposited in them.

This excellent research on a Christian website will be of great interest to you:
www.lcg.org/cgi-bin/lcg/studytopics/lcg-st.cgi?category=Christianity1&item=1116549049#.UqCoaDbn038.g

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered by Factfinder1(m): 9:21pm On Apr 26, 2018
Thank you all
Re: Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 27, 2018
Rashduct4luv:
In Simple terms Islam is a religion of rules/rulings!

Every food is permitted except the ones that are expressly forbidden!

All Goats, cattle, sheep, etc are to be slaughtered carefully making sure that the blood flows out of the animal. They are not to be killed carelessly or mercilessly.

On the other hand, all sea animals are permissible for a Muslim except crocodiles (which has fangs and can live on land) and frogs. Animals like turtles without fangs that can live on land should be slaughtered properly!

In general, harmful/poisonous foods are haram whether it comes from water or otherwise.
A day will come when you will be a Robinson Crusoe in a dead island and you will find out the only thing you get to do is kill and eat anything because survival knows no religion
Re: Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered by AlBaqir(m): 10:14am On Apr 27, 2018
QueenOfNepal:
A day will come when you will be a Robinson Crusoe in a dead island and you will find out the only thing you get to do is kill and eat anything because survival knows no religion

Islam is a realistic religion. One is allowed to eat all the things ruled forbidden IF permissible things cannot be found and one's survival hangs on it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:26am On Apr 27, 2018
QueenOfNepal:

Point of correction! In Islam, we are permitted to take forbidden foods that can satisfy hunger/thirst when all efforts have been exhausted to find something permissible.

If i am in a dead island, i will try to get foods that are permissible and harmless to the best of my ability! And if i cant i try to survive!

“ALLAH does not burden a soul more than it can bear”!
Re: Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered by tintingz(m): 12:15am On Apr 29, 2018
AlBaqir:

Islam is a realistic religion. One is allowed to eat all the things ruled forbidden IF permissible things cannot be found and one's survival hangs on it.

Rashduct4luv:

Point of correction! In Islam, we are permitted to take forbidden foods that can satisfy hunger/thirst when all efforts have been exhausted to find something permissible.

If i am in a dead island, i will try to get foods that are permissible and harmless to the best of my ability! And if i cant i try to survive!

“ALLAH does not burden a soul more than it can bear”!

Pork?
Re: Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered by SaeedIbnEesa: 12:44am On Apr 29, 2018
See them.. Elegbe Rashduct and elegbe albaqir
Re: Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered by Rashduct4luv(m): 11:39am On Apr 29, 2018
tintingz:

Pork?

Yes, it's permitted in the settings mentioned!
It's forbidden to kill but it's not forbidden to kill if the person is trying to kill you!
Re: Why Do Muslims Eat Fish Since They Don’t Eat Any Meat That Wasn’t Slaughtered by tintingz(m): 3:26pm On Apr 29, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

Yes, it's permitted in the settings mentioned!
It's forbidden to kill but it's not forbidden to kill if the person is trying to kill you!
Ok

(1) (Reply)

Muslims Let's Celebrate Rashidi Yekini / Are Atheists Allowed In Mosques? / Why Are We Allowed To Marry 4 Wives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.