Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,919 members, 7,814,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! (7940 Views)

Messi, Ronaldo & Ribery For UEFA Best Player Award 2012/2013 / Barcelona For Uefa Champions League Cup / Cristiano Ronaldo & Messi Among The 32 Nominees For Uefa's Best Player In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by folem: 9:52am On Mar 20, 2007
You cannot just go about banning what thousands of people are enjoying for the sake of a handful of wannabes.
What if I propose that football should be banned in Nigeria so that more important industries like agriculture can grow?
If we continue like that, we will end up as a frustrated nation. The government should only ban criminal activity.

Thousands of People enjoy imported Chicken but It was banned. There are lots of frivolous imported things that some Nigerians enjoy to the detriment of our economy. It is in the long term interest of Nigeria and Nigeria Football in general that the excessive obsession of Nigerian Youths to English football should be curbed A.S.A.P unless you are "short-sighted".
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Seun(m): 9:58am On Mar 20, 2007
Thousands of People enjoy imported Chicken but It was banned.
Well it was wrong. The government should only ban things like armed robbery, fraud, murder, rape, etc. Not chicken!

Some well connected people have seen an opportunity to make money from pay TV in Nigeria and have decided to use the instrument of Govt to force their way through.
Yeah. And they seem to have won. When are we going to have businessmen who can compete on merit alone?
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by ono(m): 10:30am On Mar 20, 2007
All these ones wey una dey yarn about DSTV, na tory.

With the new DSTV PVR decoder, I'm just in a world of my own as regards TV viewing. I believe I'm getting value for my money. What with the very clear sound, top of the range picture quality and excellent download package offered from the DSTV? Other folks (SPs) have got to get their acts right to beat DSTV to it. With the SCART outlet, I've been able to connect my PVR decoder to my Home Theatre. Guys, you've got to go for it, there's nothing compared to what I see and hear thereafter. I go for quality (local or international). I don't like watching some blurred images on ART, injuring my eyes!

Erm, local folks will have to provide same service (or better) as DSTV for me to even think of going for them. Even if they take their (DSTV's) rights to air all the sports station in Nigeria, my kids will have their eyes strained from watching too much Cartoon Network, DISNY, Boomerang and go TV. I will have breathing space to do other things, than worrying on how to keep the kids busy. And as far as I'm concerned, DSTV from South Africa is local enough, compared to the ones from India, US and UK. So, lets help develop them too, they're doing a good job.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by jiggaman: 3:41pm On Mar 20, 2007
hi everyone, i'm quite new to this forum.one thing i have been trying to find out is the address of hitv in lagos.can anyone help out?
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by jiggaman: 3:56pm On Mar 20, 2007
As for me, I see the achievement of Hitv as laudable.nigerians have been taken advantage of by DSTV in that we pay the highest rates for cable tv subscription in the world.with the entrance of Hitv, nigerians will be given the opportunity to view world class programmes at remarkabely cheap fees. Also the medium for transmission which is been used by Hitv is via land which allows for less interference and clearer picture quality unlike DSTV that breaks transmission at the slightest change in weather.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by ono(m): 4:57pm On Mar 20, 2007
Well, I've never had a break in transmission from DSTV during/after any weather change. But, if HiTV is good, I'll like to try them out. Do they have any base in Portharcourt?
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Blow(m): 5:43pm On Mar 20, 2007
Lets give this guys(HITV) the benefit of the doubt.

Dont know why we criticize what we haven't use.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by gidig(m): 9:47pm On Mar 20, 2007
@4 play,
I really don't want to get into one of those fight on nairaland but try nd read the papers
and get some information.okay? If yo read today's papers( and you will want me to post a link
for you abi?) The meeting with the EPl over the rights opened so many
other doors. For instance, there are talks about bringing two premiership
referees for this year;s super four.

what the NFL needs is development and not isolation. We can learn a thing or two from thois interaction.
The point to know is that after paying about 20 million in hard currency, you should
be able to get some incentives,which was not coming from DSTV because they do not have any
commitment to our development as a people, They are simply into business!HITV does not mean that
DSTV closes down.they have loads of other programmes but I like the vision of the people behind
HITV and what it portends for Nigeria and the development of the media industry.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Seun(m): 9:55pm On Mar 20, 2007
Here's an unsurprising report from someone who has used HiTV:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-38479.32.html#msg975857

The reason we're upset is simple: we can no longer watch certain European football matches on DSTV. Personally, my landlord only subscribes to DSTV for European football. With this development, no more DSTV for us. cry
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 4Play(m): 10:04pm On Mar 20, 2007
@Gidig

I know that the claim you made,about a top 5 side coming to Nigeria,is contained in one of the dailys.I believe I saw it in Vanguard

However,I still stand by my point that the [b]Premiership top 5,Liverpool,Arsenal,Man Utd and Chelsea,are not coming to Nigeria.[/b]Not a single one of them is coming.Most of the top 5's schedule for the summer is already fixed .No other premiership club is coming either.

For they to suggest that is incredible.Nigerians can be a bit gullible.

Those who already have HITV can testify that it is nothing to write home about.All the great claims being made about the company comes mainly from the company.For some reason,we take what they say at face value.

All HITV is doing is marketing their product in a Nigerian manner and people should not believe everything a businessman tells you about his product
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by folem: 9:35am On Mar 21, 2007
Nigerian masses Love European Football to the detriment of Nigerian Football.

Nigerian Leaders Love European Hospitals to the detriment of Nigerian Hospitals.

Somebody said It was wrong To Ban European Chicken in Nigeria.

When will Nigerians Stop this Foreign is best mentality?
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Abdblues(m): 10:29am On Mar 21, 2007
That talk about bringing a 'Top' premiership team to Naija is just talk and i dont think there is anything to it, HITV has a deal with the premier league now and not the clubs, as far as i know, the premier league board doesnt have a say in where a club does it pre season training!
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by angel101(f): 2:05pm On Mar 21, 2007
@ seun
i cant understand y u are being so persimistic about this HiTV thing. all over the world service providers own brodcasting rights and often share with other providers on agreed terms. in the UK a similar senario is ongoing where sky has had to switch off virgin from some channels owing to dispute in pricing. it is business at the end of the day. where was DSTV WHEN hitv was winning the bid for the rights? and just like someone else has said earlier, the fact that Dstv got the rights to broadcast the channels in question in SA does not automatically mean they can extend the right to cover nigeria. let us be objective here.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by manu4laif: 2:45pm On Mar 21, 2007
@all,

6 years ago we were paying 144,000 to purchase a PTO line.Nitel line was 200,000 minus cable,Pager was 12,500.
5 years ago we bought MTN lines for N20,000
4 years ago there was no WAP,Flash calls,airtime vouchers,etc.
3 years ago we did not have per second billing
2 years ago. . . . . . . .

What's my point?

You do not attain perfection from the start.HiTv will not necessarily match DSTV content for content from day one.Neither did Glo if we remember the teething interconnect problems Glo had with the existing networks then.Today the story is different.Arguably Glo service is comparatively top class.And thankfully Glo is Nigerian.

The good thing is that now there is SOME form of competition for DSTV.Ultimately(and that is the key word)ultimately,it WILL be good for the CONSUMER.That is my only concern .Once it is good for the consumer everyone will be happy.

Unfortunately, monopoly has a way of making anybody look bad and no matter how hard people try to defend DSTV majority will ALWAYS feel they could have gotten a better deal from them .That is the plain truth.

I will NOT feel bad about HiTV even with the shortcomings mentioned by those that have tried it now.Whatever they have now CANNOT be the FINAL package so any feelings of total disappointment now might be a bit premature.They will receive feedback from consumers and hopefully because it is no longer a monopoly their response rate will be quicker.

In any case it has taken DSTV all of 20 something years starting out I think as BOP TV with an 8 channel decoder(only 5 or 6 channels were regular then) at the start to get to this fantastic level of reaching out to Africa with such variety. Who says with encouragement HiTV cannot attain the same or even greater heights in remarkably less time.

If we must claim the self inflicted mantra of giant of Africa we need to encourage ours to succeed. I do not wish DSTV dead in Nigeria . Nigerian lives run(and benefit from) the business here. I only want solid competition so I get good value for my money.

I am however happy that the competition is from a Nigerian company.

We must learn to give ours even more  tolerance than we give others. This happens everywhere else.

WAN UNITED
WAN TV grin grin grin
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by jiggaman: 4:57pm On Mar 21, 2007
hi guys.i just want to say that hitv deserves a shot at bridging th gap of cable tv in nigeria.yes it will take some adjustments but at the end it will be better for our system in every way possible.let us try as much as possible to make them succeed.if they fail then nigeria and nigerians as a people have failed whoefully. after all, the epl managers hav at least given us a chance to build our own. I have been a subscriber to DSTV for years now but it will give me great pleasure and joy to see one of our indegenious company also excel in this area.

Anyway like i earlier asked, can anyone provide me with the address/location of hitv in lagos state.i want to purchase their decoder.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 9ja4eva: 9:41pm On Mar 21, 2007
Abdblues:

That talk about bringing a 'Top' premiership team to Naija is just talk and i don't think there is anything to it, HITV has a deal with the premier league now and not the clubs, as far as i know, the premier league board doesnt have a say in where a club does it pre season training!

I do not think its a lie cos recently the Premier league chairman was in Nigeria and they even got good deals for our Refs so its good progress.I read on some site dt dey wld also broadcast our league live in Europe so i tink we on d right track.

@ Razor

Yeap yu right.They shld have their own channels and i tink dey will have more.They do not need to name everything like DSTV.People let dem start first before axn dem.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by jiggaman: 9:57am On Mar 23, 2007
can anyone help me with the address/location of hitv in lagos?
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by choco4life(m): 10:18am On Mar 23, 2007
@seun
not because pple r rich the reason is the passion they have for football
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 9ja4eva: 9:19pm On Mar 23, 2007
Yeah Nigerians have great passion for football.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by dabanobi: 5:03pm On Mar 24, 2007
i dont think what ncc did was right.the monopoly dstv has was worked for.that is how business is in that industry.even the newspapers do it.if u have the news you get the money.this decision is going to cost dstv a ton load of dough.besides from what ive heard, the hitv is boring self.no good movie channels.dstv is still the better one.they only show soccer three days in a week.what of the rest.anyway, me i dont care.if the are showing soccer, i go to a sports bar with hitv and after that i come back home to watch my dstv.and also why arent you people complaining about MTN.what they are doing is worse than dstv.they just slashed down call prices by almost half and people are rejoicing.no one is wondering about the way the were robbing us in broad daylight before.let them cut off MTNs switching and give evrything to GLO.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 9ja4eva: 8:25pm On Mar 24, 2007
Haba HITV jst started oh lets give dem time.Dont forget DSTV was established b4 coming to 9ja.Dis ones r jst starting.Abeg make DSTV go back to where dem come from bt its nt monopoly its jst dt DSTV cant broadcast live matches cos HITV gat d license.Good development HITV do ur thing and prove ur doubters wrong.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by bagoma(f): 10:31pm On Mar 24, 2007
lets give Hitv a chance.
they are nigerian and for nigerians.
the problems they are having now are inevitable and will not disappear overnight but with our support they will excel.
i sure want them to excel. Dstv is worldclass, yes but this competition will benefit us the consumers.
i would certainly love to pay less for monthly subscriptions. DSTV knows now that their days of raking in profits like no man's business is numbered, unless of course HITV messes up as is our usual way, (i want to believe DSTV will be hoping for this) but barring any Bleep-ups, i see prices taking a big fall.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 9ja4eva: 1:22am On Mar 25, 2007
Yeah DSTV wld be hoping they fail bt dey wldnt by his grace.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Seun(m): 8:49am On Mar 25, 2007
I've learnt a business lesson from this episode: if your competitor has friends in government, you will lose.
The management DSTV made a mistake by not dealing with the perception that they are an evil monopoly.

I can't support HiTV just because it's a Nigerian company. Rev King is Nigerian too. A South African company that gives excellent service is closer to my heart than a Nigerian company that manipulates the government.

1 Like

Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Abdblues(m): 9:44am On Mar 25, 2007
@ Seun: That lesson i learnt a long time ago!! I also agree with much of what you said but i will easily forget about then manipulating government if they offer quality services with reasonable prices (this remains to be seen) because we the subscribers will be the ones to benefit from that because DSTV will then have to take a cue and lower prices!!
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 4Play(m): 2:58pm On Mar 25, 2007
This country cannot develop without foreign investment.We should not create a climate where foreigners feel that the business environment is susceptible to manipulation for the advantage of those with connnections to politicians

Before DSTV,we did not have any notable pay TV operator,now that DSTV has shown that money could be made in this sector,well connected people have decided to muscle in

There are many sectors in Nigeria that remain largely untapped,why should any foreign investor come in if half way through,some highly connected coy will use the tools of Govt to muscle in.

There is another reason why am sceptical of some Nigerian coys.Whether we believe it or not,a significant amount of these coys are fronts for looted funds.When I use their services,I feel like someone who has been robbed and is going to buy goods from the robber.
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by manu4laif: 12:09am On Mar 26, 2007
No one side can win this argument.This is clear though:

1.Monopoly is not good.

2.When monopoly is in the hands of a foreigner it is perceived as more harmful.

3.Responsible governments all over the world bend over to ensure that 'their own ' succeed at the detriment of Free Trade. US,UK ,China Japan,South Africa. . .everyone does it.

4.If you steal money and bring it back here it's bad but slightly better using it to build a golf course in Scotland or  a housing estate in South Africa,just slightly.

5.Time heals all wounds and perfects all things. Time will tell which side was right or wrong.

WAN UNITED grin grin
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 9ja4eva: 3:17am On Mar 27, 2007
Yeap u right.

MANCHESTER UNITED ROCKS
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Iman3(m): 4:49pm On Jun 15, 2007
4play, its true. A major premiership side is coming to do their pre-season training in naija in July to mark the celebration of the take off of HITV's premier league broadcast in naija. It's true - Mark my words!

Razorr!I am still waiting for that "major Premiership side" grin. Abi na next month?  Gullible Nigerians  grin  grin

Do you know that the executives of the EPL were billed to visit Nigeria as part of the developmental package that are incentives to the broacast right; one or two premiership team(s) will have a pre season tour in Nigeria(all of them wont go the USA or Europe if they see cheaper alternatives) members of the NFA/NFL went to England with the Hitv team when the rights were facilitated.

I am still waiting grin Lets see these Premiership teams we were promised
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by RuuDie(m): 5:11pm On Jun 15, 2007
Seun:

I've learnt a business lesson from this episode: if your competitor has friends in government, you will lose.
The management DSTV made a mistake by not dealing with the perception that they are an evil monopoly.
A South African company that gives excellent service is closer to my heart than a Nigerian company that manipulates the government.

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTO man !

right now, we are suscribed to HITV; i watch basically the same things i'd have been watching on LTV8, MBI or GOTEL65. well, since dem jus start make we see how far & well ! lipsrsealed
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by Abdblues(m): 7:59pm On Jun 15, 2007
I-man:

Razorr!I am still waiting for that "major Premiership side" grin. Abi na next month? Gullible Nigerians grin grin

I am still waiting grin Lets see these Premiership teams we were promised

I cant laugh o, i think DSTV subs should prepare for life without the premiership!(remember we are already without La Liga)
HITV Subs should prepare for substandard services from HiTV (i could be wrong though)
Anyody that wants to enjoy the premiership should just go and get the big dishes and hook up to the arabic channels, they are cheaper too!!!
Re: DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast! by 9ja4eva: 12:54am On Jun 16, 2007
lmao

Oh dt one dey somehw

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Carling Cup: Arsenal Vs Manchester City (0 - 1) On November 29th 2011 / Chelsea Vs Brentford - FA Cup - (4 - 0) - On 17th February 2013 / Chelsea Vs Steaua Bucharest- UCL (1 - 0) On 11th December 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.