Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,549 members, 7,850,875 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:19 AM

Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! (2202 Views)

Gov Fayose welcomes Sultan of Sokoto to Ekiti state (photos) / Photos Of Sokoto Residents On The Streets With Brooms, Shovels Over N1m Prize / Just In, Inec Not Using Card Verification Device (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by batu: 12:17pm On Mar 16, 2007
The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Mohammad Sa'ad Abubakar III, yesterday described the Independent National Electoral Comm-ission (INEC) as unserious and ill-prepared for the April 2007 general elections.
The Sultan added that it was wrong for INEC to carry on as if all was okay with the preparations for the polls when there are widespread discontentment by Nigerians over sundry issues pertaining to the April elections.
Addressing Northern traditional rulers at the Arewa House Kaduna at a summit incidentally organised by INEC for royal fathers from the region "On the 2007 Election and Role of Traditional Rulers," the Sultan, also warned the commission to abide by all court rulings regarding the April elections to avoid confusion, noting that the commission must not allow itself to be used as a launch-pad for any forms of violence.

Link: http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=73062

@All,
Well, it is high time somebody tell this indolent monarch to: SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!
Arabic removed from naira, he screams out and needed personal education by the CBN governor. INEC doing their best to prevent proven 'barawos' from contesting the next election, and he is making unguarded statemensts that could further undermine the integrity of the electoral body.
Nigeria is no longer an extension of the Sokoto caliphate, as it used to be! While he is entitled to his opinion as a Nigerian just like myself, his position should place some intellectual restrains on his mouth and utterances. Nonsense!!!
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by McKren(m): 12:25pm On Mar 16, 2007
AT THE RATE HE IS GOING WE WILL REGRET SULTAN MACCIDO'S DEATH FOR A WHILE

HIS FIRST PRONOUNCEMENT WAS ABOUT RELIGOUS INSCRIPTIONS ON NAIRA

NOW IT IS WHY INEC ADHERED TO THE CONSTITUTION

THIS IS NOT WHAT BEING A SULTAN IS ALL ABOUT, HE IS SIMPLY TOO DESPERATE FOR POLITICAL SUPPORT. HE WANTS TO BE SEEN AS REPRESENTING THE INTEREST OF THE NORTH.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by superman(m): 12:38pm On Mar 16, 2007
I THINK HE SHOULD BE MORE OF CONCERN ABOUT THE LEATHAL POVERTY AND PIMITIVE LIVE STYL IN THE NORTH!

YEYE MAN
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by mazaje(m): 12:41pm On Mar 16, 2007
Hey pls lets not start another anti Northern/Northern bashing thread since we all claim to be open minded lets disscuss issues with some sense of tolerance and avoid vulgarism.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by joshO: 1:55pm On Mar 16, 2007
He has been a disspointment so far. His predecesor brought a lot more dignity, and respect to that caliphate. This one is way to political and I suspect he will not last.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by Afam(m): 6:46pm On Mar 16, 2007
I just heard him on TV say that the FG should create constitutional roles for traditional rulers since they are always consulted whenever there is crisis around.

Less than 1 month he is already looking for constituional roles. I won't be surprised if the goivernment assigns him one tomorrow and he will become OBJ's chief campaigner, trust Naija.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by Danmasani(m): 7:09pm On Mar 16, 2007
I believe the Sultan has every constitutional right to voice his concerns regarding the forthcoming elections. It is not for anyone in this forum to open his mouth and call him stupid. If you want to crtitcize, i'll advise that to be done in the mature way.
Besides what is false about what he said. INEC barred people from contesting when the Court of Appeal said they had no right to do so. I wonder which is bigger, Olusegun Obasanjo or Court of Appeal. Atiku in the election for Presidency will not stop Nigerians from chosing who they want as president. He neither has the machinery to rigg or win that election, i wonder why the President is bent at all cost to stop the man. Now Atiku is going to go to court, challenge INEC's actions and elections will be postponed!

Let's face it- INEC has messed up and is not ready to conduct credible elections!
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by McKren(m): 7:49pm On Mar 16, 2007
I believe the Sultan has every constitutional right to voice his concerns regarding the forthcoming elections

Dont remember what section of the constitution that says that please remind us

Now Atiku is going to go to court, challenge INEC's actions and elections will be postponed!

who says, Atiku will pursue this case up till the supreme court before he will get a final verdict whether positive or negative. That final verdict will not even come this year, by then Yaradua or whoever will have had more than 200 days in office.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by mowapa(m): 8:09pm On Mar 16, 2007
I seriously want to believe that the political section of Nairaland is populated by mature people that can discern, understand sensitive political and religious issues. To those young blood here, please note the Sultan is both a political and Spiritual leader to almost half the population of Nigeria. Anything that would cause or threaten our unity should not be allowed, peace! BE SENSITIVE AND CIVILIZED IN YOUR OPINION.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by McKren(m): 8:17pm On Mar 16, 2007
mo wapa:

I seriously want to believe that the political section of Nairaland is populated by mature people that can discern, understand sensitive political and religious issues. To those young blood here, please note the Sultan is both a political and Spiritual leader to almost half the population of Nigeria. Anything that would cause or threaten our unity should not be allowed, peace! BE SENSITIVE AND CIVILIZED IN YOUR OPINION.

This present Sultan has not been sensitive and civilized in his opinion.
now i simply don't know how to remind a general in the Nigerian Army that we are in the Federal Republic of Nigeria and not Kingdom of Nigeria. Why is he looking for constitutional role??/.
I personally lived in Sokoto for 1year and I know what the Sultanate is about. This Sultan is simply overshooting. Macciddo was not like this and I think Northern elders should call him to order so as to preserve the sanctity of his office.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by superman(m): 8:23pm On Mar 16, 2007
I believe the Sultan has every constitutional right to voice his concerns regarding the forthcoming elections. It is not for anyone in this forum to open his mouth and call him stupid. If you want to crtitcize, i'll advise that to be done in the mature way.
Besides what is false about what he said. INEC barred people from contesting when the Court of Appeal said they had no right to do so. I wonder which is bigger, Olusegun Obasanjo or Court of Appeal. Atiku in the election for Presidency will not stop Nigerians from chosing who they want as president. He neither has the machinery to rigg or win that election, i wonder why the President is bent at all cost to stop the man. Now Atiku is going to go to court, challenge INEC's actions and elections will be postponed!

Let's face it- INEC has messed up and is not ready to

and what about this one emmh his comment on local language inscription on the naira notes!

should u listin where ever u are ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! OK TO THE NORTH MUGUSSSSSSSS!

NONeSENSE
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by Nobody: 8:56pm On Mar 16, 2007
Afam:

I just heard him on TV say that the FG should create constitutional roles for traditional rulers since they are always consulted whenever there is crisis around.

If we were a serious country should we be "consulting" traditional rulers whenever there is a "crisis"? Since when did "traditional" roles become constitutional roles?
If traditional rulers now take up constitutional roles then of what use are our elected representatives?
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by abdkabir(m): 9:16pm On Mar 16, 2007
The Sultan is entitled to his opinion. The INEC should respect the court orders. It is not for INEC to bar Atiku, it is for them to interpret the rulings of the Court which has said Atiku can not be disqualified by INEC. Simple as ABC.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by demmy(m): 9:26pm On Mar 16, 2007
That these kings inherit their mundunmundun posts is not enough, they want to legalize it on top of it all.
Constitutional role ko constitutional toilet roll ni. Do we need any more burden than we are already carrying.

This was how they use style put shariah in the constitution which has already now become a nuisance. And I thought this sultan being a military officer would be more enlightened.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by mowapa(m): 10:13pm On Mar 16, 2007
PEOPLE! PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE!!!!!!!

I HAVE A PREMONITION THAT THE INVISIBLE LINE WILL BE CROSSED SOON

PREACH UNITY!!! GOD BLESS NIGERIA..

In February, 2003, Nelson Mandela, former president of South Africa, sharply criticized Bush and his drive for war, saying, "If there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America." Mandela also said, "One power with a president who has no foresight -- who cannot think properly -- is now wanting to plunge the world into a holocaust

Did Bush or America react to it? NO! because it may polarize their Nation, considering Mandela is revered by notable Black Americans. We can ignore this topic and issue raised by the sultan too or inflame it.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by Pain(m): 10:22pm On Mar 16, 2007
Guess He Laernt Nothing From The Military Courses at National Institute for Policy & Strategic Study NIPSS, infact his last course before being "Selected" as Sultan.

Infact he's in no position to tell anyone about Democracy because the very Institution (Office)on which he now sits upon was founded thru coercion
and forced submission.

Was he he himself elected or selected?

Was his admission into the defence academy based on merit or based on his royal antecedent?

Please, he should give us a break and seek better and more noble ways to be recognised or if he wants to be relevant in the scheme of things.

Its is the dawn of a New Nigeria, A Nigeria of Well Informed and Enlightened Citizens. We are witnessing the advent of a new generation of Nigerians that you can never bagger around.

Infact the current ruling generation is about the last that would settle for mediocrity.

Most of these Old Folks are increasingly finding it a hard fact to come to terms with.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by Bankole01(m): 10:28pm On Mar 16, 2007
batu:

Link: http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=73062

@All,
Well, it is high time somebody tell this indolent monarch to: SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!
Arabic removed from naira, he screams out and needed personal education by the CBN governor. INEC doing their best to prevent proven 'barawos' from contesting the next election, and he is making unguarded statemensts that could further undermine the integrity of the electoral body.
Nigeria is no longer an extension of the Sokoto caliphate, as it used to be! While he is entitled to his opinion as a Nigerian just like myself, his position should place some intellectual restrains on his mouth and utterances. Nonsense!!!

This is quite unfair to describe the Sultan as indolent. This very humble fellow is accomplished as a professional, being a general in the army, well educated and very articulate.
We have to separate his statement on the absence of arabic inscriptions on the new naira notes and his succinct pronouncement on the activities of Inec and Maurice Iwu the cameleonic chairman of the body.

On the one hand, the Sultan is a moslem and as is customary of muslims, he sees things in the Quranic way. Most of us rightly observed his fault to our understanding.
In the case of the double standard snd pandering to the PDP of which INEC is guilty, the Sultan has made a right observation and therefore spoke the minds of a great majority of Nigerians. If only more highly placed people in Nigeria could come out in the open to critisize this obvious and highly dangerous game Maurice Iwu and his handlers and puppet masters are playing with the constitution and invariably with the lives of Nigerian citizens, it will bode well for all of us.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by segoye2(m): 9:27pm On Mar 17, 2007
I believe in Unity.

I once lived in the north and they are good and wondeful people. We are just having few representing them badly, what a shame.

The Sultan appears to be a gentle man but the only stress on it all is that his making his first outing with a wrong statement. The statement shouldn't be on the papers, I suppose his to send it to his friend OBJ.

They always know how to creat office for them, but for me, I do like an office of Grand Master of Nigerian Top Forum be awarded to Mr. Seun Osewa, the babalawo of Naira land, his making all this work, u gat to vote for him too. and my friend huummm, Mo wapa (just talking to maself)

We heard him now, Lets great the office for traditional rulers, and make him and OBJ the president / vice. cheesy
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by McKren(m): 10:23am On Mar 18, 2007
People should stop bullying others from saying what they feel.
I simply don't know what accepting or suggesting that the Sultan erred has got to do with the Unity of Nigeria.
if Orji Kalu, OBJ, Wole Soyinka, Ojukwu, Obi of Onitsha, Owu of Egba land, Pastor Chris Okotie or anybody for that matter talks crap people will simply say it so I don't know why that of the Sultan is different.

Nigeria is 47 years, if at 47 merely arguing that a Sultan has erred will threaten the unity of Nigeria then we have a problem. As a matter of fact setting a prejudice for the electoral process is even more threatening to the unity and stability of this country.

I will not mince words in saying that as long as he speaks publicly on controversial political issues, he should be ready to accept criticisms associated with making such statements.
People should stop bullying others from saying their mind.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by Ugwumba(m): 11:04am On Mar 18, 2007
If the so-called new generation of Nigerians cannot have a decent political discourse without resorting to a war of 'indecent' words, then I fear my older generation of activists have laboured in vain.

McKren:

Dont remember what section of the constitution that says that please remind us

Firstly, Chapter IV (Fundamental Rights) of the 1999 Nigerian constitution guarantees the following:

Section 38 - Right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.

Section 39: Right to freedom of expression and the press.

The Sultan has the right, as do all Nigerians, to express publicly or privately his thoughts on the ongoing electoral process in Nigeria. You may disagree with him, but this neither makes him indolent or foolish.

Further, the issues he addressed, have also been commented on by others (the respected Wole Soyinka, for example).

The issue with Atiku's disqualification is not because of the man himself, but the entirety of our existence as a truly democratic country.

All true democracies are founded on the separation of powers, the rule of law and the inalienable right of its citizens to vote and be voted for.

1. No court has, as yet, convicted Atiku of any offence, that disqualifies him from being voted for.

2. Atiku reserves the right to challenge the outcome of the Administrative panel of inquiry - this right is enshrined in so many sections of our constitution that it beggars belief that people discuss this as if the man is commiting a crime by challenging his disqualification on these grounds.

3. INEC and the executive branch are duty bound to respect the rule of law, and we destroy the very foundation of our nascent democracy by suggesting that, because of our dislike of the man, we are prepared to sit idly by while our dear country is destroyed.

4. Why the fear of Atiku? If OBJ is so sure of the merits of a Yaradua/Jonathan ticket, why not let the electorate decide. All he needs to do, with all the machinery of power at his disposal, is ensure the elections are free and fair.

5. If we allow the electoral process to continue this way, then we institutionalize the supremacy of the Presidency to decide who can contest in an election - powers I am certain our constitution does not confer on it. How easy would it be for a president to disqualify all serious contenders by accusing them of an offence, setting up a 'kangaroo' administrative panel, gazetting a predetermined conclusion and ignoring any and all rulings by the courts.

Anarchy, my friends, is not a useful alternative to democracy.

Finally, as we grow and mature, we must learn to respect the positions others have achieved in life.

The utter lack of respect shown to the Sultan here is irresponsible, at the very least, and downright disrespectful.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by GNature(m): 11:16am On Mar 18, 2007
subscribing
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by Nobody: 1:55pm On Mar 18, 2007
Ugwumba:

Firstly, Chapter IV (Fundamental Rights) of the 1999 Nigerian constitution guarantees the following:

The Sultan has the right, as do all Nigerians, to express publicly or privately his thoughts on the ongoing electoral process in Nigeria. You may disagree with him, but this neither makes him indolent or foolish.

The utter lack of respect shown to the Sultan here is irresponsible, at the very least, and downright disrespectful.

Those same sections of the constitution i will contend give Nigerians the right to criticize their leaders even to the extent of accusing them of indolence whenever they make irresponsible statements.
Americans call their presidents worse names and it is yet to threaten their unity, i wonder why Nigerians are forced to show "respect" to leaders who exhibit the classic symptoms of speaking without thinking.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by McKren(m): 2:09pm On Mar 18, 2007

I do agree with that, I only thought Dansami was suggesting that the Sultan by virtue of his office has the constitutional right to adjudge the electoral process. But from the point of view of expressing his opinion like every other Nigerian then he is right. But you got to also accept that by virtue of that same freedom of expression every other Nigerian has a right to express what they make of him.

Further, the issues he addressed, have also been commented on by others (the respected Wole Soyinka, for example).
Wole Soyinka is obviously repected but his comment on this issue was lacking in logic. How do you explain a Wole Soyinka suggesting that Atiku/OBJ should have been impeached as a result of there indictment on the PTDF scandal, meaning he does accept that they were both culpable but he does not accept a situation where Atiku is excluded from election as a result of the same indicment in accordance with the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria. Is he suggesting that Atiku is guilty of fraud enough as to be impeached but yet innocent enough of the same offence to stand election?? I simply don't know where he stands anymore.

The issue with Atiku's disqualification is not because of the man himself, but the entirety of our existence as a truly democratic country.

All true democracies are founded on the separation of powers, the rule of law and the inalienable right of its citizens to vote and be voted for.

Sorry the right to be voted for is not inalienable. otherwise there will be no sections 137/182 in our constitution.  That section provides what requirements you must meet to seek elective office, if you don't meet them you have simply lost the right to be voted for. But that does  not mean you are no longer Nigerian. Hence the right to be voted for is not unforfeitable or inalienable.

1. No court has, as yet, convicted Atiku of any offence, that disqualifies him from being voted for.

You are simply writting a new version of the constitution, section 137 did not say convicted but indicted.  It did not even say it can only be that from the court of law, it could be an administrative panel of enquiry or tribunal or judicial commision of enquiry.

2. Atiku reserves the right to challenge the outcome of the Administrative panel of inquiry - this right is enshrined in so many sections of our constitution that it beggars belief that people discuss this as if the man is commiting a crime by challenging his disqualification on these grounds.
He should go ahead, no one can take that right off him and we wish him luck. But he has to realise that he can not go to one backyard court in lagos to get judgement and hope to bully every other person with it. He has to be patient in case the opposing parties wish to appeal the case up till the supreme court.

3. INEC and the executive branch are duty bound to respect the rule of law, and we destroy the very foundation of our nascent democracy by suggesting that, because of our dislike of the man, we are prepared to sit idly by while our dear country is destroyed.
Spot on, and INEC is doing just that. They are implementing the constitution (which happens to be the fundamental law of the land) to the letter. The constitution is supreme and prevails over every other law in case of conflictions (see section 1 of constitution).
The problem we have is that those who continually lecture us on "respect for rule of law" simply don't want to practice what they preach. Why can't Atiku and AC respect the constitution.

4. Why the fear of Atiku? If OBJ is so sure of the merits of a Yaradua/Jonathan ticket, why not let the electorate decide. All he needs to do, with all the machinery of power at his disposal, is ensure the elections are free and fair.

No one is afraid of him, we are practising constitutional democracy and must adhere to the provisions of the constitution at all times. We demonstrated this during the third term debate otherwise we would have allowed OBJ to run for a third term in the hope to vote him out since it is all about the decision of the electorate. We can not flout a section of the constitution for the fun of testing the will of the electorate.
No one wants third term in Aso Rock for either Atiku or OBJ. OBJ has swallowed his ambition, Atiku should be man enough to swallow his if he truly loves democracy. We want something new in Aso Rock.

5. If we allow the electoral process to continue this way, then we institutionalize the supremacy of the Presidency to decide who can contest in an election - powers I am certain our constitution does not confer on it. How easy would it be for a president to disqualify all serious contenders by accusing them of an offence, setting up a 'kangaroo' administrative panel, gazetting a predetermined conclusion and ignoring any and all rulings by the courts.

The message is clear, if you don't embezzle you don't need to be friends with the President to stand election. Buhari has been in Opposition for 8 years now no one is after him. People have the idea of looting the treasury and as soon as you hold them accountable they join opposition forces in the hope to claim that there ordeals are politically motivated. Nigerians are no longer decieved.

Anarchy, my friends, is not a useful alternative to democracy
Anarchy is brewing only in the heads of those who think Nigeria is all about their ambition, if they don't accept their faith and work towards the progress of the Nigerian state then Nigeria will move on behind them.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by donnymikky(m): 2:39pm On Mar 18, 2007
THIS SULTAN IS NOT SERIOUS AT ALL! HE SHOULD COME OUT OPENLY TO NIGERIANS THAT ATIKU IS HIS ANNOINTED CANDY-DATE RATHER THAN TELLING INEC HOW TO CARRYB OUT ITS DUTY. INFACT I DOUBT IF THIS SULTAN KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT OUR CONSTITUTION
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by batu: 7:45pm On Mar 18, 2007
Ugwumba:

If the so-called new generation of Nigerians cannot have a decent political discourse without resorting to a war of 'indecent' words, then I fear my older generation of activists have laboured in vain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Finally, as we grow and mature, we must learn to respect the positions others have achieved in life.

@Ugwumba,
You reasoning is not only incosistent, but also illogical. On one hand you claim the sultan has a right to make comment (I agree and alluded to that right in the beginning); but on the other hand you find fault in critisicing the comments of the sultan. So, freedom of expression is only when it alligns with your position?. I'm sorry but that is being indolent like the Sultan.

Had it been you have understanding of human right, you will have know that it also includes the right to critique, decosntruct, and rubbish another person's opinion. Whether it is to your taste or not is immaterial.
What is grossly irresponsible is the utter lack of respect that the sultan has shown to the unity of Nigeria by being a champion of devisive politics. He has clearly shown himself to represent the interest of ONLY (a) the North, and (b) muslims; and not the interest of Nigeria as an entity like other sensible/credible monarchs do. In addition, it is jointly irresponsible and myopic , therefore, to think a 'politically-incorrect' but direct critique of the sultan's statement is threathning the unity of Nigeria.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by mowapa(m): 8:23pm On Mar 18, 2007
@ batu & DONNYMIKK

I think you reading ugwumba wrongly. YOUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH SHOULD BE GUIDED BY COMMONSENSE. THE SULTAN IS THE SPIRITUAL LEADER TO HALF OF THE COUNTRY POPULATION. MOST RELIGIOUS TROUBLE IS STARTED &FANNED BY SUCH STATEMENT.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 18, 2007
mo wapa:

@ batu & DONNYMIKK

I think you reading ugwumba wrongly. YOUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH SHOULD BE GUIDED BY COMMONSENSE. THE SULTAN IS THE SPIRITUAL LEADER TO HALF OF THE COUNTRY POPULATION. MOST RELIGIOUS TROUBLE IS STARTED &FANNED BY SUCH STATEMENT.

I think you're the one getting things mixed up! Why should an innocent statement from a citizen guaranteed his constitutional right to free speech fan the embers of religious intolerance?
What of the christians who have had to live with arabic inscriptions on the naira for 34 yrs? Why did they not go up in arms in 1973?

The sultan has every right to question the removal of arabic from the naira, we the people have equal rights to accuse him of fanning the embers of religious and ethnic intolerance, myopic reasoning and irresponsibility for quering its removal when he should be more concerned with widespread poverty, illiteracy and indolence among his people!
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by LoverBwoy(m): 9:00pm On Mar 18, 2007
The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Mohammad Sa'ad Abubakar III, yesterday described the Independent National Electoral Comm-ission (INEC) as unserious and ill-prepared for the April 2007 general elections.
The Sultan added that it was wrong for INEC to carry on as if all was okay with the preparations for the polls when there are widespread discontentment by Nigerians over sundry issues pertaining to the April elections.
Addressing Northern traditional rulers at the Arewa House Kaduna at a summit incidentally organised by INEC for royal fathers from the region "On the 2007 Election and Role of Traditional Rulers," the Sultan, also warned the commission to abide by all court rulings regarding the April elections to avoid confusion, noting that the commission must not allow itself to be used as a launch-pad for any forms of violence.

I'm still wondering what the problem is?

INEC is really not prepared lets be honest, there are still cases in court, they only just managed to rush the voters i.d, they have not issued permanant voters I.D

And he advised them "to abide by all court rulings regarding the election. . . . ."
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by Danmasani(m): 9:19pm On Mar 18, 2007
Please what basis do those accusing the Sultan of being stupid have. what is your argument here? Is INEC ready? Is Atiku's case not still with the courts? Does the Sultan not have the Right to Speak like every Nigerian? Can he not oppose the removal of arabic on the note by position of being head of all muslims in the nation? Hell, i don't think we need arabic incriptions on the naira, all i care is how i am go about spending it. But if someone really bothers about what smiles on the naira, then he has every right to voice his opinion. Criticism are allowed to be made, but not when the begin to evolve into abuse, bigotry and contempt for a respected individual.
Someone said Bush is regularly called names and no one says anything. Well Nigeria is not the United States of America. Here traditional rulers are respected. They can be criticized when the err, but not insulted. It is called civility- behaving properly with your fellow human being and environment.
I wonder exactly what has the sultan done wrong by voicing his opinions. Probably, i would not have being here if the it was the Ooni of Ife that had voiced the same concerns!
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by Ugwumba(m): 10:40pm On Mar 18, 2007
davidylan:

I think you're the one getting things mixed up! Why should an innocent statement from a citizen guaranteed his constitutional right to free speech fan the embers of religious intolerance?
What of the[b] christians [/b] who have had to live with arabic inscriptions on the naira for 34 years? Why did they not go up in arms in 1973?

The sultan has every right to question the removal of arabic from the naira, we the people have equal rights to accuse him of fanning the embers of religious and ethnic intolerance, myopic reasoning and irresponsibility for quering its removal when he should be more concerned with widespread poverty, illiteracy and indolence among his people!

@davidylan, I make every effort on this forum to ignore you, since all your comments usually are based on your ethnic and religious leanings (fundamentalist christian) and every other religion, to you, can be abused. I will leave it at this.

McKren:

Wole Soyinka is obviously repected but his comment on this issue was lacking in logic. How do you explain a Wole Soyinka suggesting that Atiku/OBJ should have been impeached as a result of there indictment on the PTDF scandal, meaning he does accept that they were both culpable but he does not accept a situation where Atiku is excluded from election as a result of the same indicment in accordance with the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria. Is he suggesting that Atiku is guilty of fraud enough as to be impeached but yet innocent enough of the same offence to stand election?? I simply don't know where he stands anymore,

You are simply writting a new version of the constitution, section 137 did not say convicted but indicted.  It did not even say it can only be that from the court of law, it could be an administrative panel of enquiry or tribunal or judicial commision of enquiry.

I will respond to the bits that require a little more thought, and since you enjoy bandying the word; logic.

Ugwumba:

If the so-called new generation of Nigerians cannot have a decent political discourse without resorting to a war of 'indecent' words, then I fear my older generation of activists have laboured in vain.

Please carefully read what I have written. I addressed a 'conviction' in 1. and an 'indictment' in 2., which is why they were separate statements. Either disqualifies the candidate. However, while the former (a standing conviction by a court) has some finality, the latter (an indictment) if improperly arrived at, can be overturned quite easily.

1. The constitution clearly contains sections that deal with the right to fair hearing, which is understood in civil society to include the 'constitution' of the (in this case) Administrative panel of inquiry (the judge & jury dilemma), requirements for the full disclosure (documents et al) of the accusations to the accused, the right to fair representation and, most importantly, the right of appeal.

Until, and unless all these are satisfied, the 'indictment' remains a farce. Gazetting such an indictment is comical. I would ask that you wait for the conclusions of the higher courts on these issues and see whether you are wrong in your interpretation of this provision, or whether the learned professors who have so far spoken, are.

I will offer unreserved apologies if you are right (i.e. the courts uphold that the indictment is compliant with the spirit of the constitution). I hope you can return the favor when proven wrong.

2. On the issue of the right to disagree with the Sultan, I cannot agree more, but the language of our discourse must show respect for both the person and the institution he represents. That Americans hurl all manner of insults on their leaders, does not make it the right thing to do. In America, under the guise of freedoms, even Jesus Christ and other religious icons can be insulted.

3. If you cannot understand the consistency in Wole Soyinka's comments on the PTDF scandal and, at the same time his protests about INECs banning of Atiku, then let me see if I can help.

Soyinka is no fan of Atiku's, but understands that if you want to remove him on an impeachable offense, like corruption, you must follow the constitutional provisions.

If you refuse to impeach, then you lay the grounds to be accused, rightly, that the indictment is political, and therefore cannot be used as a reason for disqualification as a candidate for election.

As I stated, the right to vote and be voted for is inalienable.
This presupposes that the qualifiers for these rights are met. e.g. to vote, certain minimum age requirements must be met, and so to be voted for, certain qualifications must be met. This does not mean the right is not inalienable.

As an example, the right to life is inalienable, but our constitution contains several qualifiers on when life can be taken.

Any student of history understands the challenges our dear country currently faces,and we cannot let the arrogance of one man (OBJ), drive us to the brink.
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by McKren(m): 10:52pm On Mar 18, 2007
@Dansami

When Sultan Sa'ad Abubakar was chosen, I like many Nigerians thought that will launch a new generation of Nigerian leaders. I thought it was in line with our quest for generational shift and that he will bring his wealth of experience to bear. As soldier who has worked as defence attache in foreign diplomatic mission he should know what his people truly needs.
He comes onboard instead of working seriously and playing roles that will be geared to getting our people out of poverty he comes onboard and begins by telling people what they want to hear.

For me those are the trademarks of deception of the elite class on the Nigerian masses, they come on exarcebate ethnic and religous tension as if they believe in those values they potray and then exploit the situation to loot the country why our people suffer.

Its about time our leaders begin to tell us and do for us what we need and not what we want to hear. Arguing about religous signs on naira rather than its purchasing power is a clear example of telling people what they want to hear and not doing for them what they need. That in my view is hypocrisy
Re: Sultan Of Sokoto: Inec Not Serious! by McKren(m): 11:16pm On Mar 18, 2007
@Ugwumba

When I read your first post I was impressed, it was such a brilliant one and I must confess I needed to read it over and over again thrice to counter it. Your latest post has not in anyway countered mine. I need you to do a more thorough job and come up with something better or admit that am right like a gentle man will do.

(1) (2)

Can We Move Beyond The Tribalism Induced Threads Here? / Kleptocracy: The Real Form Of Government In Nigeria / Soludo Enjoying His Loot!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.