Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,606 members, 7,823,637 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:45 PM

CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest (15714 Views)

Woman Sets Self, Rented Apartment On Fire Over Inability To Repay N70k Lapo’s De / CBN Recovers N60bn From Banks As Illegal Charges / Access Bank, GTB Fined N96 Million For Illegal Charges, Other Violations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by maximunimpact(m): 6:00pm On May 08, 2018
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), said any bank that deducts monies illegally from a customer’s account for products and services would be forced to refund the money to the customer with interest.

Mr Fada David, Consumer Complaints Management, Consumer Protection Department, CBN, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Abuja.

NAN reports that this is sequel to complaints by bank customers within the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) over excess charges by banks through Automated Teller Machine (ATM) withdrawals.

The customers said as a result of the development, they dreaded making withdrawals using other banks ATMs because of the continued charge of N65 for every transaction.

According to the customers, most banks within the city centre have programmed their ATMs to dispense only N10,000 or less per transaction, thus ripping off customers withdrawing more than that amount.

The customers complained that if they had to withdraw N100,000 or more through other banks ATM, it meant they would lose so much money.

They, however, called on the CBN and other relevant authorities to look into the matter so as to help poor Nigerians.

According to David, the Monetary Policy Circular of the CBN gives certain guidelines as to how much should be refunded to customers if excess charges are discovered.

“Part of the punitive measures is that if excess charges are discovered, they are refunded to consumers with interest,” he said.

David, however, assured bank customers that the CBN monitors all banks regularly to make sure that banks do not short-change them.

He also encouraged customers to read the CBN’s Guide to Bank Charges circular to know those charges that their banks were allowed to charge and the correct amount.

“Consumers should consult this document to know how much they are expected to pay for services.

“When you go through it and in a situation where you see charges that you do not understand, you have the right to write your bank and get them to explain what the charges are.

“In a situation where it becomes clear that the customer was charged excessively, the customer should get them to reverse it.

“You have the right to know how much you are charged from operating your account and make sure that the bank only charges the specified amount,” he said.

Also, Mr Oludamola Atanda of the Consumer Education Division, Consumer Protection Department, CBN, urged bank customers to demand for their statement of account monthly.

He said that it would help customers to monitor their accounts closely.

“You have the right to demand for the right product and services. The bank cannot force you to go for a specific product or loan facility. You have the right to choose.

“If they give you a product you do not like, you do not have to take it. Its important for us to understand this.

“There is also the issue of right to privacy. My bank should not share my details with just anybody. For instance, a wife cannot come and say she wants details of her husband’s account.

“Only by court order can an account details by revealed to a third party,” he said.

Atanda said at times, customers complain about certain bank products because they were not properly informed about the products.

“If I am taking a product, my bank has the responsibility to educate me on that product.

“If it is a savings product, a customer should know how it works, how many times to withdraw in a month, how much interest to expect and the minimum deposit on the account.

“We are saying that you have the right to demand good service. Those are the things we want to let customers know,” he said. (NAN)

https://www.financialwatchngr.com/cbn-to-order-banks-to-repay-illegal-charges-with-interest/

2 Likes

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by Balet: 7:33pm On May 08, 2018
Welcome idea. In fact,they hv a lot of money to refund me. They hv long been over charging me. They charge me for ATM card maintenance every month.

Meanwhile, I got FTC this evening. This is decated to any presidential aspirant that can take Nigeria out of the mess the country has found herself. Things are not like that here in Europe.

11 Likes

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by Obito555(m): 7:33pm On May 08, 2018
"The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), said any bank that deducts monies illegally from a customer’s account for products and services would be forced to refund the money to the customer with interest."

We are only good at making laws..but to implement it na war.

Check my signature!!!!

20 Likes

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by allanphash7(m): 7:33pm On May 08, 2018
Access bank in Trouble

29 Likes

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 08, 2018
Lie, nothing go hapun

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by GURUGRAPHICS(f): 7:33pm On May 08, 2018
welcome development grin cheesy

meanwhile guys, are you bored and in need of some entertainment?
then add me on skype at isabel okoh... wink for a video chat session...

...serious buyers only!!!!

1 Like

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by freddie82(m): 7:34pm On May 08, 2018
Good. ahn ahn they'll be debiting anyhow
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by enemyofprogress: 7:34pm On May 08, 2018
Zenith bank is in trouble.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by blowjohn(m): 7:34pm On May 08, 2018
maximunimpact:
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), said any bank that deducts monies illegally from a customer’s account for products and services would be forced to refund the money to the customer with interest.

Mr Fada David, Consumer Complaints Management, Consumer Protection Department, CBN, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Abuja.

NAN reports that this is sequel to complaints by bank customers within the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) over excess charges by banks through Automated Teller Machine (ATM) withdrawals.

The customers said as a result of the development, they dreaded making withdrawals using other banks ATMs because of the continued charge of N65 for every transaction.

According to the customers, most banks within the city centre have programmed their ATMs to dispense only N10,000 or less per transaction, thus ripping off customers withdrawing more than that amount.

The customers complained that if they had to withdraw N100,000 or more through other banks ATM, it meant they would lose so much money.

They, however, called on the CBN and other relevant authorities to look into the matter so as to help poor Nigerians.

According to David, the Monetary Policy Circular of the CBN gives certain guidelines as to how much should be refunded to customers if excess charges are discovered.

“Part of the punitive measures is that if excess charges are discovered, they are refunded to consumers with interest,” he said.

David, however, assured bank customers that the CBN monitors all banks regularly to make sure that banks do not short-change them.

He also encouraged customers to read the CBN’s Guide to Bank Charges circular to know those charges that their banks were allowed to charge and the correct amount.

“Consumers should consult this document to know how much they are expected to pay for services.

“When you go through it and in a situation where you see charges that you do not understand, you have the right to write your bank and get them to explain what the charges are.

“In a situation where it becomes clear that the customer was charged excessively, the customer should get them to reverse it.

“You have the right to know how much you are charged from operating your account and make sure that the bank only charges the specified amount,” he said.

Also, Mr Oludamola Atanda of the Consumer Education Division, Consumer Protection Department, CBN, urged bank customers to demand for their statement of account monthly.

He said that it would help customers to monitor their accounts closely.

“You have the right to demand for the right product and services. The bank cannot force you to go for a specific product or loan facility. You have the right to choose.

“If they give you a product you do not like, you do not have to take it. Its important for us to understand this.

“There is also the issue of right to privacy. My bank should not share my details with just anybody. For instance, a wife cannot come and say she wants details of her husband’s account.

“Only by court order can an account details by revealed to a third party,” he said.

Atanda said at times, customers complain about certain bank products because they were not properly informed about the products.

“If I am taking a product, my bank has the responsibility to educate me on that product.

“If it is a savings product, a customer should know how it works, how many times to withdraw in a month, how much interest to expect and the minimum deposit on the account.

“We are saying that you have the right to demand good service. Those are the things we want to let customers know,” he said. (NAN)

https://www.financialwatchngr.com/cbn-to-order-banks-to-repay-illegal-charges-with-interest/

Breaking news!!!
Trump has pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal!
Nairaland pls update abeg!!!
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by Empress2014(f): 7:35pm On May 08, 2018
Uba is worst
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by tsamson(m): 7:36pm On May 08, 2018
diamond bank must pay well for their stupid stamp duty

6 Likes

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by don4real18(m): 7:36pm On May 08, 2018
It has become a norm with all my banks to charge me unnecessarily
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by SweetJoystick(m): 7:37pm On May 08, 2018
long over due.

1 Like

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by Pavore9: 7:38pm On May 08, 2018
They will still devise others means to codedly extort!

1 Like

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by KENTHAZ(m): 7:39pm On May 08, 2018
Wat concerns me with dis. Are dey distributn cash?
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by kp3tech(m): 7:42pm On May 08, 2018
Let me help you document your Business idea in a business plan and feasibility study.
Also link you to 27 sources of funding for your business (Free, Equity or Debt)

You have a great business idea, you contacted a potential investor or an Angel in trying to get a funded or receive a GRANT and they ask you for your Business plan.... Imagine having a ready business plan that is so well packaged that investors would be desperate to invest in you and your ideas.

I have help over 100 entrepreneurs, businesses, MSc students become successful.. Let me help you too.

Talk to me on
Whatsapp: +2347030584018
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by chuks34(m): 7:44pm On May 08, 2018
Don't mind the mofos angry

that's how diamond bank deceived my friend in opening diamond extra account. what they failed to tell him was that his balance can't be less than 5k.

and the guy has 9k, he can only withdraw 4k when what he needs is 8k

1 Like

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by profmsboi(m): 7:45pm On May 08, 2018
UBA don suffer
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by etenyong(m): 7:46pm On May 08, 2018
FCMB is the worst bank in term of secret deduction or charges
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by fixedhollies(m): 7:48pm On May 08, 2018
Dem no go refund, no be naija we Dey?
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by israelmao(m): 7:49pm On May 08, 2018
I saved some money in my First Bank account after withdrawing it to some certain level the rest is being pecked little by little illegally.
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by Macdav(m): 7:49pm On May 08, 2018
Welcome idea. Eco bank are in trouble.. Always charging me for checking my account balance, asin #20 on a stead!!.

Leggo!!
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by dreamwords: 7:54pm On May 08, 2018
;DD
UBA will not like this
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by ahmadinho2010(m): 7:55pm On May 08, 2018
First bank ,,,,
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by Debazent1: 7:57pm On May 08, 2018
Good move,hope the banks would adhere
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by Gangster1ms: 8:01pm On May 08, 2018
Union bank angry
Stopped using the bank since last year but every month i receive dubious deduction alerts for sms charges. How? I didn't deposit neither did i withdraw.
Thieves.

1 Like

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by Buffalowings3(m): 8:01pm On May 08, 2018
UBA grin
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by youngsahito(m): 8:03pm On May 08, 2018
Thank God say I no get bank acct...less hypertension

1 Like

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by drololaaof: 8:03pm On May 08, 2018
Thanks for this info but how do we get the CBN regulations? ACCESS use to charge stamp duty without seeing the stamp, I was amazed when I transfer money from UBAto other bank the postage stamp was fixed to the transacting document immediately

1 Like

Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by Prestige16(m): 8:09pm On May 08, 2018
Ecobank is so good at doing that and their ATM have been programmed to dispense only 10k per withdrawal
Re: CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest by moiaimi(f): 8:15pm On May 08, 2018
start with Diamond

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naira's Free Fall Continues, Now Exchanging At ₦550 To $1 / Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos / Tobi Amira: Moniepoint Processes $7 Billion Dollars Monthly In Nigeria (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.