Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,756 members, 7,820,626 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE (4566 Views)

Tech Giants Who Suffered Huge Losses In July 2018 / Checkout The Best Features Of The New Android P (pistachio) OS. (PIX) / Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 11:12am On May 09, 2018
Google have released Android P beta and its a very big update. In fact I think its the biggest update since Android 5.0 Lollipop. Android P comes with a complete UI overhaul.

But is it just me or is Google trying to make Android look more like IOS? Its like Google have been 'taking' IOS features and putting them into Android. First they removed SD card support from their Pixel phones, then took away the headphone jack, added support for the notch on Android P and now iPhone X gesture control and the recent apps menu is now horizontal instead of vertical... just like the iPhone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4H1dTjGlfw

Some new features of Androip P are

1. Gesture control: Google have included a new way of navigation. The navigation button have been yanked and we now have a white home navigation bar just like the iPhone X. Swiping up takes u to recent app so there's no longer a recent app navigation button. And the recent apps are now arranged horizontally just like the iPhone. Swiping up right to the top takes u to app drawer.

2. Adaptive battery: it uses AI to improve battery life

3. Better screenshot annotation: Now u can take screenshot and edit it immediately before saving or sharing.. again borrowed from the iPhone. Though a lot of OEM's like Samsung and LG had this smart screenshot feature in their phones but it was not an android native feature until Android P.

4. Lockdown: Google have included a feature that allow users to temporarily disable fingerprint feature.. which means when lockdown is activated, only password can be used to unlock the phone. This comes in handy when someone is trying to forcefully use ur fingerprint to unlock ur phone or those that their partners use their fingers to unlock their phones while sleeping.

There are tons of new features covered in the video. Are u looking forward to Android P? Do u like the gesture control or just gonna stick to the old school navigation buttons?

2 Shares

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by iKingsley(m): 11:19am On May 09, 2018
Android is the best!

1 Like

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by fibonacci2526: 11:27am On May 09, 2018
Am just excited that for the first time, google's latest OS beta update isn't exclusive to pixel devices any more. OnePlus 6(will get after launch), Nokia 7 plus, essential phone, oppo R15 pro, mi mix 2s and Vivo x21 have gotten the updates too. See a screenshot of a mi mix 2s.

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 11:33am On May 09, 2018
fibonacci2526:
Am just excited that for the first time, google's latest OS beta update isn't exclusive to pixel devices any more. OnePlus 6(will get after launch), Nokia 7 plus, essential phone, oppo R15 pro, mi mix 2s and Vivo x21 have gotten the updates too. See a screenshot of a mi mix 2s.

Basically any Android device under the Android One program should get it. I'm happy Google is finally making Android UI look good and adding more features. I never liked pure android because the UI is not good enough and it lacks features found on Samsung and LG devices. With Android P I just might change my mind.
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by fibonacci2526: 11:37am On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:

Basically any Android device under the Android One program should get it. I'm happy Google is finally making Android UI look good and adding more features. I never liked pure android because the UI is not good enough and it lacks features found on Samsung and LG devices. With Android P I just might change my mind.

Am referring to the beta not the stable version. No devices other than the pixels get to experience the beta preview before now, it's refreshing. Of course many android one devices and some other devices will get the stable version in the course of the year but this development is massive. Mi mix 2s which is heavily skinned is running stock android due to this.

That being said, not sure I can use a device that is skinned as my daily driver after using the OnePlus 5. The difference is clear.
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 11:49am On May 09, 2018
fibonacci2526:

Am referring to the beta not the stable version. No devices other than the pixels get to experience the beta preview before now, it's refreshing. Of course many android one devices and some other devices will get the stable version in the course of the year but this development is massive. Mi mix 2s which is heavily skinned is running stock android due to this.

That being said, not sure I can use a device that is skinned as my daily driver after using the OnePlus 5. The difference is clear.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have never ever liked pure android. Its just too basic and boring. Yes u get that smooth experience but with a high end Samsung or Lg I also get that smooth experience.. though Samsung phones tend to lag overtime but I think they fixed that from the S8 with the new Samsung experience skin.

Just imagine Google is just adding screenshot editor to Android P, a feature that has been on Samsung phones for years. Also colorful settings menu have been on Samsung phones with Samsung experience 9.0, now new to Android P. How about media volume control, S9 has it, new to Android P. There are many more features that Samsung and Lg phones have been enjoying that Google is just implementing. You can imagine split screen that have been on Samsung and Lg phones since 2014 just made it to Android 7.0 in 2016.
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by ollah2: 12:33pm On May 09, 2018
Greenhulk you know about phones. I disagree with you about Google making Android like iOS or taking it's features. Nexus back in the day never had SD card but Android supported usage of SD cards. Notch first appeared on an Android phone viz Essential so its normal for Google to support it natively which doesn't mean Pixel will have a notch-y design. Gestures was first present on webOS then BB10. It has been available in some launchers for the years so it's not Apple's feature.

Since you know Samsung and LG has screen shot annotation, why didn't you write it that Google borrowed it from these OEMs? Why choose Apple?

When you write these way, you will only be seen as a biased person. You aren't a blogger just a phone and tech lover. Say things the way it is and be frank about it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 09, 2018
ollah2:
Greenhulk you know about phones. I disagree with you about Google making Android like iOS or taking it's features. Nexus back in the day never had SD card but Android supported usage of SD cards. Notch first appeared on an Android phone viz Essential so its normal for Google to support it natively which doesn't mean Pixel will have a notch-y design. Gestures was first present on webOS then BB10. It has been available in some launchers for the years so it's not Apple's feature.

Since you know Samsung and LG has screen shot annotation, why didn't you write it that Google borrowed it from these OEMs? Why choose Apple?

When you write these way, you will only be seen as a biased person. You aren't a blogger just a phone and tech lover. Say things the way it is and be frank about it.

Maybe I was too critical, I'm not against copying because at the end everyone copies each other so far its a way to make things better. But let's be sincere, nobody gave a damn about webos gesture controls, not until apple came out with its gesture controls on the iPhone x, its really a good alternative way to interact with phones and Google has borrowed that into Android P. As for that notch, to be frank its not even the essential phone that started it. It has been on LG v10 since 2015 though LG called it the second screen just like they are calling the notch on the g7 thinkQ. The inky difference is v10 and v20 notch was not in the middle but on the left corner where rhe front facing camera and sensors are located, but they used the remaining screen estate for the 2nd screen.

But rhe fact still remains Apple made it popular with rje iPhone 10 by bringing it to the middle plus it looks a lot better on a bezeless phone. U can see no OEM is even using the kind of notch on the essential phone because it doesn't look good, everyone is going the iPhone x way.

The image below will prove that LG started with the notch.

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by ollah2: 1:07pm On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:

Maybe I was too critical, I'm not against copying because at the end everyone copies each other so far its a way to make things better. But let's be sincere, nobody gave a damn about webos gesture controls, not until apple came out with its gesture controls on the iPhone x, its really a good alternative way to interact with phones and Google has borrowed that into Android P. As for that notch, to be frank its not even the essential phone that started it. It has been on LG v10 since 2015 though LG called it the second screen just like they are calling the notch on the g7 thinkQ. The inky difference is v10 and v20 notch was not in the middle but on the left corner where rhe front facing camera and sensors are located, but they used the remaining screen estate for the 2nd screen.

But rhe fact still remains Apple made it popular with rje iPhone 10 by bringing it to the middle plus it looks a lot better on a bezeless phone. U can see no OEM is even using the kind of notch on the essential phone because it doesn't look good, everyone is going the iPhone x way.

BlackBerry gave a damn about it and implemented it on their BB10 devices, I still have a Z10 at home simply because of gestures. Secondly, it has always been in launchers from Nova, Action, Apex etc. Apple could have popularised it but they didn't do it first.

We should learn to be truthful about our comments. We ain't getting paid by these guys and we also don't run a blog.

Apple popularised them but did they implement it first, No!
How many companies would wanna copy a newbie called Essential?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:

do you even know the meaning of a notch. How can u say lg v10 shipped and had a notch. You think you know everything but u overdoing it. You need to research more Oga.
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Millz404(m): 3:39pm On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:

Samsung and Lg are running under which platform
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 09, 2018
ollah2:

BlackBerry gave a damn about it and implemented it on their BB10 devices, I still have a Z10 at home simply because of gestures. Secondly, it has always been in launchers from Nova, Action, Apex etc. Apple could have popularised it but they didn't do it first.

We should learn to be truthful about our comments. We ain't getting paid by these guys and we also don't run a blog.

Apple popularised them but did they implement it first, No!
How many companies would wanna copy a newbie called Essential?
I wonder oo. Apple copied it from bb10. Bb10 never had home button, or back or even recent. No button all gestures. Apple only made it popular. And the essential phone was the first phone to have a notch. And apple copied and failed. Their own is even bigger. Now phone manufactures are perfecting the notch. Eg huawei p20 and p20 pro where you can even hide the notch if you don't like it.

Google needed to implement it in android p even if they won't use it, because that was developers use to develope apps. We need to see how it looks on a stock android with notch support before we release it.

1 Like

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 09, 2018
Millz404:

Windows grin grin
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 09, 2018
CHESTER48:
do you even know the meaning of a notch. How can u say lg v10 shipped and had a notch. You think you know everything but u overdoing it. You need to research more Oga.

Mr dictionary oya tell us the meaning of notch. The image below is dictionary definition of a notch, an indentation or incision on an edge or surface. It doesn't have to be in the middle. LG v10 had a cut out on the display for the front facing camera and proximity sensor and utilized rhe free space for an extra screen. By definition that is a notch, just that its not in the middle. The v20 I'm using to type this has rhe same thing.

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:
[the ote author=CHESTER48 post=67417282]do you even know the meaning of a notch. How can u say lg v10 shipped and had a notch. You think you know everything but u overdoing it. You need to research more Oga.

Mr dictionary oya tell us the meaning of notch. The image below is dictionary definition of a notch, an indentation or incision on an edge or surface. It doesn't have to be in the middle. LG v10 had a cut out on the display for the front facing camera and proximity sensor and utilized rhe free space for an extra screen. By definition that is a notch, just that its not in the middle. The v20 I'm using to type this has rhe same thing.
jeez
You are still arguing that lg v10 has a notch
You even post dictionary for me.
Oga you don't know what a notch is. The dictionary explained what a notch is. But when it's come to phone, is that one on lg v10 a notch. U don't get it do you? Lg v10 screen stopped at the place the network icon is. The other thing up there is another screen.whatever they call it. Lg g7 is the first and official lg phone with a notch.

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by jetz(m): 3:52pm On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:
Google have released Android P beta and its a very big update. In fact I think its the biggest update since Android 5.0 Lollipop. Android P comes with a complete UI overhaul.

But is it just me or is Google trying to make Android look more like IOS? Its like Google have been 'taking' IOS features and putting them into Android. First they removed SD card support from their Pixel phones, then took away the headphone jack, added support for the notch on Android P and now iPhone X gesture control and the recent apps menu is now horizontal instead of vertical... just like the iPhone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4H1dTjGlfw

Some new features of Androip P are

1. Gesture control: Google have included a new way of navigation. The navigation button have been yanked and we now have a white home navigation bar just like the iPhone X. Swiping up takes u to recent app so there's no longer a recent app navigation button. And the recent apps are now arranged horizontally just like the iPhone. Swiping up right to the top takes u to app drawer.

2. Adaptive battery: it uses AI to improve battery life

3. Better screenshot annotation: Now u can take screenshot and edit it immediately before saving or sharing.. again borrowed from the iPhone. Though a lot of OEM's like Samsung and LG had this smart screenshot feature in their phones but it was not an android native feature until Android P.

4. Lockdown: Google have included a feature that allow users to temporarily disable fingerprint feature.. which means when lockdown is activated, only password can be used to unlock the phone. This comes in handy when someone is trying to forcefully use ur fingerprint to unlock ur phone or those that their partners use their fingers to unlock their phones while sleeping.

There are tons of new features covered in the video. Are u looking forward to Android P? Do u like the gesture control or just gonna stick to the old school navigation buttons?
Miui uses most of this stuff featured on Android P
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 3:53pm On May 09, 2018
Millz404:

Read and understand me bro. Samsung and LG modified android to include the features not found on stock android that Google released. Android in its stock form doesn't have those functions, its basic and its one of the reasons many people choose Samsung over pixel phones or any pure android phone. But Samsung adding these features come at a price, it means they don't get timely updates while phones with pure Android and less features get timely updates
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 09, 2018
jetz:
Miui uses most of this stuff featured on Android P

Of course. I'm talking about android in its pure form, that is as Google wants people to use it. Do phones running miui get timely updates like pure android or Android one?

1 Like

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:

Is v20 an lg phone?

1 Like

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 4:04pm On May 09, 2018
CHESTER48:
jeez
You are still arguing that lg v10 has a notch
You even post dictionary for me.
Oga you don't know what a notch is. The dictionary explained what a notch is. But when it's come to phone, is that one on lg v10 a notch. U don't get it do you? Lg v10 screen stopped at the place the network icon is. The other thing up there is another screen.whatever they call it. Lg g7 is the first and official lg phone with a notch.

Whether it is the 2nd screen or 3rd screen, the fact remains that they notched out the front facing camera. they configured the piece of display to the right of the notch-out cameras as a “second screen”, so that it didn’t intrude on the regular, un-notched rectangular display. A notch is a notch no matter where it is placed.

1 Like

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 09, 2018
PRESENTATION:

Is v20 an lg phone?

Yes sir
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by jetz(m): 4:37pm On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:

Of course. I'm talking about android in its pure form, that is as Google wants people to use it. Do phones running miui get timely updates like pure android or Android one?
wah i mean is the new mode of UI and features like the round icon on the notification shade has already been in use by miui like since even the recent bar tray plus yup Miui gets timely steady updates and its still based on Android eh
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 09, 2018
jetz:
wah i mean is the new mode of UI and features like the round icon on the notification shade has already been in use by miui like since even the recent bar tray plus yup Miui gets timely steady updates and its still based on Android eh

Wrong. EMUI phones don't get timely update. Huawei mate 10 and p20 come with Android 8.0 out of the box, and they just released 8.0 update for the mate 9 and p10. So what happens to the mate 8, honor 8 and p8? These devices don't have Android 8.0 yet and Android 9.0 is already here.
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by jetz(m): 5:09pm On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:

Wrong. EMUI phones don't get timely update. Huawei mate 10 and p20 come with Android 8.0 out of the box, and they just released 8.0 update for the mate 9 and p10. So what happens to the mate 8, honor 8 and p8? These devices don't have Android 8.0 yet and Android 9.0 is already here.
not wrong not EMUI am talking of MIUI used by Xiaomi i ve used tones of their ported rom so i 100% know wah am saying even MIUI 9 operates like Android P and its based on Android 7.0 use youtube as ur ref to see wah am saying biko i no fit argue
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by jetz(m): 5:15pm On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:

now how does dis recent minize tray on MIUI 9 looks like to u even before P was released o

Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 5:15pm On May 09, 2018
jetz:
not wrong not EMUI am talking of MIUI used by Xiaomi i ve used tones of their ported rom so i 100% know wah am saying even MIUI 9 operates like Android P and its based on Android 7.0 use youtube as ur ref to see wah am saying biko i no fit argue

Oh my bad. I don't know much about xiaomi, but my question is has Redmi note 4 of 2017 been updated to Oreo? I'm not talking ported ROM or rooting here, I mean ota update to Oreo.
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 09, 2018
jetz:
now how does dis recent minize tray on MIUI 9 looks like to u even before P was released o

MIUI recent apps have been like this for long na. And to be frank I'm not a fan, I prefer the vertical cards.
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by jetz(m): 5:30pm On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:

Oh my bad. I don't know much about xiaomi, but my question is has Redmi note 4 of 2017 been updated to Oreo? I'm not talking ported ROM or rooting here, I mean ota update to Oreo.
Yes bro i even ve d sdcard update on ma site as of febuary 2018 almost all xiaomi major device got d oreo update em dy try o i was amazed sef
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by jetz(m): 5:32pm On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:

MIUI recent apps have been like this for long na. And to be frank I'm not a fan, I prefer the vertical cards.
yeah everybody got their prefrences for me both re within ma taste besides a lil spice up to follow the trend from around the world well our arguement has cum to an official end lol...ma final take is the Android P issa dope
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 09, 2018
jetz:
Yes bro i even ve d sdcard update on ma site as of febuary 2018 almost all xiaomi major device got d oreo update em dy try o i was amazed sef

Impressive then from xiaomi. I wish Samsung and LG can be this quick to release updates.
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by jetz(m): 5:50pm On May 09, 2018
greenhulk:

Impressive then from xiaomi. I wish Samsung and LG can be this quick to release updates.
i wouldnt say xiaomi re that fast but they re quite effective with updates Samsung is even faster LG is quite slow o
Re: Android P Is Here And It Is HUGE by johnnyholtby(m): 6:20pm On May 09, 2018
I won't dabble on if the LG V series have notched screens or not but I'mma clarify some things.... the term "notch screen" came to live with the essential phone...as for me I prefer the essential notch to iPhone X..cos the essential has more screen estate and the fact that the screen wraps around the camera is so great to look.....the fact that most OEMs are copying iPhone X notch is due to the fact that Apple (iPhone) is a well known brand....few know the essential phone thus trying to be iPhone X wanna be....so design wise essential notch is better than that of iPhone X

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If BBM Was There In Bible Times, Some Posts Would Be Like: / Unlimited Calls From Mtn For The Whole Day (this Is Not A Hoax) / Should I Go For Infinix Note 3 Or Infinix Hot S or Hot 4 Pro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.