Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area (919 Views)

We Now Have 23hrs Eletricity Supply In My Area: Is It The Same In Your Own Zone? / Power Supply Is Almost Constant In My Area. Why? What Happened?? / My Area After The Rain This Morning..pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by lannre(m): 1:13pm On May 22, 2010
I need a genuine assistance on the above issue, I leave at RAB filling Station area of Moshalasi area of Alagbado Kollinton Lagos Abeokuta Express way. Its over six Months now that we view any blink of lights in our area, all effort has been prove abortive. This issue has been a continual problems. If the power is eventually fixed (which we don't know when) Crazy bills will be serve to cover all previous months of darkness, without anyone explaining why. Please someone help at least to know who and where to write to. While I appreciate a good response. I will advise that only responsible and intellects reply. Thank you and God bless.
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by Kobojunkie: 3:18pm On May 22, 2010
@Poster, I suggest you start thinking SOLAR Electricity  . . .  Take your destiny into your hands if you can. Complaining about the problem is not going to get you anywhere. And Six months is a really long time.
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by SapeleGuy: 3:21pm On May 22, 2010
This thread made me laugh hard on two counts:

lannre:

While I appreciate a good response. I will advise that only responsible and intellects reply. Thank you and God bless.
I still dey laugh.

Secondly, perhaps you may want to add your thoughts to this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-433272.0.html
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by netotse(m): 5:46pm On May 22, 2010
have you gone to the PHCN district office to ask why?. . .
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by lannre(m): 8:50pm On May 23, 2010
@ Netotse

Its same bureaucracy, before I was even directed to someone it was hell, the dude was perambulating as if they don't know what to do . If I can get the link to the Chairman Committee on Power. Or any responsive body. Its hell living in darkness.
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by otawa: 9:03pm On May 23, 2010
I need a genuine assistance on the above issue, I leave at RAB filling Station area of Moshalasi area of Alagbado Kollinton Lagos Abeokuta Express way

what a country.

Mr Obasanjo that spent $16billion on same electricity only to provide more darkness lives just about 30mins away.
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by netotse(m): 10:12pm On May 23, 2010
could you tell me exactly what he said? thing is, you need to know exactly what the problem is before you start complaining, for you that could make the difference between being ignored and actually getting somebody to listen to your case. . .

when you can state what exactly is wrong, the next logical step would be for your resident's association to seek a meeting with the CEO of the distribution company, knock on doors until you find someone that's willing to talk to you. . .

most importantly though, be polite!, more often than not, when pple talk to PHCN staff, they do so with 'attitude' and that could make the difference between the person deciding to help you or telling you 'i dont know, it's not my business'
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 23, 2010
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by netotse(m): 10:34pm On May 23, 2010
chaircover:

Ok since we are it I better say my own now, Who knows someone might be able to help

There has been no light in Aradagun Badagry since April 2009; It is over a year now since the area has been in complete darkness  cry

Something to do with a broken down transformer. I understand that tenants and Landlords in the area put money towards this to have it fixed, but it only worked for 3 weeks before breaking down again & since then its been total darkness.
it could be that your transformer is overloaded and y'all need to get a bigger transformer. . .the best thing to do would be to get real engineers involved not technicians. the alternative could be the lines are overloaded, and if that's the case you guys'll be on a longer thing, but i'd put my money on transformer. . .if a transformer 'blows', replacing it should come only after finding out why it happened in the first place, but folks at PHCN are usu too lazy.
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by Sauron1: 10:34pm On May 23, 2010
chaircover:

Ok since we are it I better say my own now, Who knows someone might be able to help

There has been no light in Aradagun Badagry since April 2009; It is over a year now since the area has been in complete darkness  cry

Something to do with a broken down transformer. I understand that tenants and Landlords in the area put money towards this to have it fixed, but it only worked for 3 weeks before breaking down again & since then its been total darkness.

No light since April 2009? Is that fecking possible?
U guys don't have a councillor or a LG Chairman?  I would be petrol-bombing those useless Naija politicians if i am a resident in this area.
What the heck?
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by DisGuy: 11:12pm On May 23, 2010
even more annoying is that response above 'u guys have to get a bigger transformer' y are the residents doing nepa's work? After paying bills, u know buy transformer, then u employ an engineer not a technician? Bloody hell nigerians are very patient o!!! several months without power sum1 tells u to go n actually find out what exactly is wrong, if u have to do all this yourself, why dnt they just burn the nepa office n save tax money??
Eku suru o
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by indie22(f): 1:53am On May 24, 2010
If you like petition nepa from now till kingdom come and if you like go and fire bomb their office, they won't do it until they're good and ready

Funny thing tho and for all you know your request for a new transformer might have been processed and is just sitting on one fat cat oga's desk in nepa awaiting approval, and we know what happens in most government parastatals, nothing will happen until "egunje" is paid!

So my advise to you, better go and buy one "I better pass my neighbour" and forget about nepa for the time being.

It happened to us in lekki, no electricity for almost 3mnths, after the residents contributed money for a new transformer we still had to grease oga nepa's palm before they restored light!
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by CyberG: 4:19am On May 24, 2010
Has anyone thought of stealthily using Molotov Cocktails on this bastards? Imagine them lighting-up like goddamned suyas that they really are!! grin grin
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by makajibbz(m): 4:30am On May 24, 2010
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, I suggest you start thinking SOLAR Electricity  . . .  Take your destiny into your hands if you can. Complaining about the problem is not going to get you anywhere. And Six months is a really long time.
i agree!!!
believe me there's no solution to electricity in Nigeria until the generator manufactorers leave our country
all you need to do is buy a solar panel,which is expensive but if u buy it,
everything's solved, free electricity!!!!!!!!!
cheesy
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by Kobojunkie: 6:02am On May 24, 2010
Average flat(2 to 3 bedroom with TV, lights, refrigerator, computer, fans) can do very well with a $3500 investment in Solar -- Investment that is sure to sustain you for at least 15 years with little to no extra cost afterwards. Sitting back waiting for PHCN with their so many "transformer don blow stories" ain't gonna cut it any more.

PHCN could careless . . . "I better pass my neighbour" is just another way of pouring money down the drain, and down into the pockets of the rich and some of them run PHCN there - the same fat cats who are comfortably sitting on your transformer. These people NEED you to buy generators and diesel so they can get richer, faster, and longer(since you are likely to buy another one by next year) on you.
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by makajibbz(m): 6:21am On May 24, 2010
@kobo
true talk!!! thats the best thing!
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by Nobody: 7:33am On May 24, 2010
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by indie22(f): 7:40am On May 24, 2010
And another thing, are the solar panels strong enough to power ACs?
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by Kobojunkie: 1:52pm On May 24, 2010
Solar will NOT explode in Nigeria . . . The guy must have probably been pulling your legs.  I would NOT advice anyone to leave the West without finding a lasting FIX to the electricity problem FIRST. I mean an investment of approximately $4200 in solar Or/And Wind will go a long way in making your life in Nigeria so so much more enjoyable. I say $4200 because I was quoted similar to help power my computers(Big Monitors included), TV, Compact Flourescent bulbs(10 of them at 30W approximate), Fans(3), pump water up the well, microwave.

Once you put together a base package for yourself, considering how much energy you hope to consume on the hour and more, a good back up system, it should work fine and spare you the headache of all the noise, pollution and running out to buy diesel every other day. With a 900W Package, you can power your TV, lights, computer, Fan, If you make good use of your electricity, that could also power your refridgerator. 

For airconditioning, I would advice you go with a good Wind turbine, if you live in an area where you get good wind. If you are in the Lekki area, I would imagine you get good sun down there.

The investment may seem much at first but it makes ABSOLUTE sense for anyone moving back to Nigeria, even if for short periods to do all he/she can to SOLVE the power issue for self - walking blindly into the problem only to continue complaining afterwards is just not right.

Whatever you invest in solar, you recoup because you do not have to re-invest in it for another 15 to 25 years if you MAINTAIN the system well. Good thing is you don't need to do much maintainance as all you may have to do, say, every year or two, is wash the panels. I would say wash because depending on where you live, debris and other gunk could get on the panels during rains storms.  Apart from that, there is rarely any major maintaince necessary for solar.
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by makajibbz(m): 2:18pm On May 24, 2010
good advice there!
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by netotse(m): 9:55pm On May 24, 2010
Dis Guy:

even more annoying is that response above 'u guys have to get a bigger transformer' y are the residents doing nepa's work? After paying bills, u know buy transformer, then u employ an engineer not a technician? Bloody hell nigerians are very patient o!!! several months without power sum1 tells u to go n actually find out what exactly is wrong, if u have to do all this yourself, why dnt they just burn the nepa office n save tax money??
Eku suru o
it isn't PHCN that overloads the transformers is it? the amount of money PHCN collects as electricity bills every month isn't even enough for it to run itself. . .if any blame is to be shared PHCN wont even get lions share!

hypothetical question: you've just built a house and you want to connect it to the grid, you go to PHCN and tell them, and they tell you 'i'm sorry sir/madam we cant connect you to supply because we dont have the capacity' what would you do?

tens of thousands of consumers are connected to an already stressed grid every year without any commensurate increase in generation (and this has been going on for years, imagine the backlog). . .and yet y'all are expecting constant electricity. . .i laugh in spanish. . .lol

if anything the politicians should take the lions share of the blames, followed by PHCN staff and lastly all nigerians.
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by DisGuy: 10:03pm On May 24, 2010
Interesting country isnt it?

You buy land, you build house
You dig well/borehole yourself for water
you build prison-like fences for security
You even contribute money for transformer
You contribute money to make the roads motor-able; at least your street
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by Kobojunkie: 10:17pm On May 24, 2010
Dis Guy:

Interesting country isnt it?

You buy land, you build house
You dig well/borehole yourself for water
you build prison-like fences for security
You even contribute money for transformer
You contribute money to make the roads motor-able; at least your street

ROFLMAO!!

You forgot to add that you still pay taxes in some areas, even after all that. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by SLIGHT(m): 10:58pm On May 24, 2010
Poster, i kindly say u leave the area if nothing can restore power in that area
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by makajibbz(m): 11:13pm On May 24, 2010
tell him an area where there's no black-out, if there is
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by blacksta(m): 11:45pm On May 24, 2010
Nigerian electrical or mechanical engineers must be very useless - When will they start building small scale wind turbines or solar panels
Re: Please Help Six (6) Months Black Out In My Area by makajibbz(m): 10:37am On May 25, 2010
for where?

(1) (Reply)

Recent Unrest In Ajegunle: / Jonathan Won’t Win In 2011 - Professor Ango Abdullahi / The Okada Debate Rages On In Ghana ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.