Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,461 members, 7,854,026 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 09:43 AM

Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? (1788 Views)

Which State In Nigeria Has This Type Of Streets / Buhari: If You Like, Call Me Baba Go Slow / Asamau Abubakar: If You Like Insult Me And My Father Till 2023 - Atiku Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:32pm On May 16, 2018
Re: Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? by GregJo: 7:54pm On May 16, 2018
nice thread
Re: Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:13pm On May 16, 2018
It's good to dream. But I find it laughable when your measure of development is only valued when the thing in question can be described as being "largest" or "biggest." This does nothing other than expose our limited understanding of nation building and human development. It's almost impossible to sustainably operate the "largest" or "biggest" anything if you cannot operate the smallest of such elementarily and successfully.

Steel and cement structure is not what makes the United States or China what these countries are today. It is the mental state of the people and their understanding of life and its meaning. We are where we are because our mindset and intellect is clouded and tainted by everything else, except where it ought to be.

We see development only in the eyes of Western countries. But we ignore the fact that some of our cultural practices, norms, and traditions are antithetical to the western ideals (which brought about their development) we purport to want or copy. For instance, we see development of a town only when the roads are tarred, but not minding the heaps of trash and waste and the sewage that litter the place. A mind that throws liter all over the place or channels the sewage from his or her house to the road cannot successfully operate the biggest or largest anything, successfully, for a long time.

It's good to dream. But without conscious effort at understanding that development can't be copied but mentally grown-into, no amount of duplication of cement and steel structure designs from Western countries would change anything.

We cannot be like the United States because we don't think like them. We'd only develop to some comparable state when our society evolves mentally, not from copying steel and cement designs.

Build the "largest" cinema halls and "biggest" hotels in Africa. But without understanding that cities and towns must be planned holistically and human development must take center stage, no amount of copying of physical structures would change anything. When our brains our capable, you'd see that it is not White people that would build the systems and structures that you showed for us, which would be the case now. And neither would we import everything involved in building them because we'd be capable of making them ourselves. I'm sorry to say but that time is not our generation.

majorbravo:
What Kind Of Nigeria would you like to see? Please Share your thoughts!

1 Like

Re: Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:46pm On May 16, 2018
People Buhari's age don't see value in this because they will soon die and not be around to enjoy the development. Young Nigerians don't know that the old people of this country would never develop the country. This is because they are old and would soon die. Younger Nigerians are the ones who'd live long as a such, they need to fight and takeover power because the old and expired don't have a skin in the game.

obonujoker:
Until the likes of Buhari, ibori, Saraki, TA orji, Tinubu etc, are locked up... This kind Nigeria is impossicant....

Christianity and Islam can't work together as well..
Re: Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? by majorbravo: 9:50pm On May 16, 2018
namet:

Build the "largest" cinema halls and "biggest" hotels in Africa. But without understanding that cities and towns must be planned holistically, no amount of copying of physical structures would change anything. When our brains our capable, you'd see that it is not White people that would build the systems and structures that you showed. And neither would we import everything involved in building them because we'd be capable of making them ourselves. I'm sorry to say but that time is not our generation.

I am indeed an advocate for a sensible populace. However, none of the things you see on this thread can be achieved without a united populace. The mind is naturally inclined to aspire to do what it can see, not what it can not imagine.

The goal is not to be like the united states or any other country, and neither was it stated anywhere that it would be built by foreigners. Our greatest problem is many do not see any good in people from regions aside theirs. This post is about united potential. To show us realistically-achievable things we can collectively acheive for each other using the natural, geophysical and intellectual endowments of each region

None of the illustrations used are cartoon pictures. They are real structures made by humans though some for different purposes than were applied here but that shows what can be done. When people see what can be done then they can start to think of how it could be done, and what more could be done, then the intellectual seed would have been sown.

No matter how intelligent a people appear to be, if they see no good in the next person they would not be able to benefit from the untapped potential the other person possesses. So in the end I'm sure you can see what was intended.

Zeeman2000 I think some of your concerns are addressed here too
Re: Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:46pm On May 16, 2018
I understand the idea behind your presentation. It showed what is possible in Nigeria .... if certain takes were to happen. I call that a dream. It is wishful think.

My point is that those changes in the Nigerian society that would make Nigeria become like the nice pictures you showed will not happen in our generation. That is, every Nigerian alive today would become old and die and Nigeria won't be as developed as the pictures.

I say this because some of our cultural practices and traditions limits our intellectual capability and what e can build. Advanced countries are that way because of the way the people in those places think.

Nigeria is a reflection of how Nigerians think. We don't see anything wrong with stealing. We don't care about our neighbors. We're careless about our environment. We disregard public good; that is, doing things in a manner that benefits people we don't know. Ethnic differences and fear of appearing inferior exacerbates our hatred for each other. We depend on spirits and supernatural powers to do things for us.

Advanced countries are not this way and that is why they can build and maintain stuff. The people in developed countries are opposites of Nigerians. Again, it is good to dream. I'm not opposed to it. But the reality of our situation is what limits us. This is not pertinent to Nigeria only. Look at the entire black race. There's no black nation that has been developed by black people. South Africa appears better than Nigeria because of the white people in that country.

Please keep on dreaming. It feels good to imagine what you're presenting afterall. But it is what it is. Reality.

majorbravo:

I am indeed an advocate for a sensible populace. However, none of the things you see on this thread can be achieved without a united populace. The mind is naturally inclined to aspire to do what it can see, not what it can not imagine.

The goal is not to be like the united states or any other country, and neither was it stated anywhere that it would be built by foreigners. Our greatest problem is many do not see any good in people from regions aside theirs. This post is about united potential. To show us realistically-achievable things we can collectively acheive for each other using the natural, geophysical and intellectual endowments of each region

None of the illustrations used are cartoon pictures. They are real structures made by humans though some for different purposes than were applied here but that shows what can be done. When people see what can be done then they can start to think of how it could be done, and what more could be done, then the intellectual seed would have been sown.

No matter how intelligent a people appear to be, if they see no good in the next person they would not be able to benefit from the untapped potential the other person possesses. So in the end I'm sure you can see what was intended.

1 Like

Re: Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? by majorbravo: 10:57pm On May 16, 2018
namet:
I understand the idea behind your presentation. It showed what is possible in Nigeria .... if certain takes were to happen. I call that a dream. It is wishful think.

My point is that those changes in the Nigerian society that would make Nigeria become like the nice pictures you showed will not happen in our generation. That is, every Nigerian alive today would become old and die and Nigeria won't be as developed as the pictures.

I say this because some of our cultural practices and traditions limits our intellectual capability and what e can build. Advanced countries are that way because of the way the people in those places think.
Think of what you can do for your nation.
Like you stated, there is an intellectual problem amongst the populace. So do your best to enlighten them. The present Nigeria is not our reality.

The reality is what would happen to our children and the generation after them if things continue this way.

I may not be alive to see some of the things in the illustrations given on this thread, but my hope is that enough people would see and believe in its possibility enough to start building towards it. Rome wasn't built in a day, and so Nigeria would take just as long if not more.

My desire is to ensure we do not let the next generation continue like this. We risk another slavery in the near future if we don't. Our forefathers may not have done a great job at stopping it but Providence provided us an opportunity at independence to create our own history, we should not fail our generations yet unborn by standing by and watching it happen again. It falls on us to emancipate the populace. And posts like this are how I intend to do that.
Re: Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 16, 2018
I've given up on Nigeria. There is no hope for anything good. The North does not want Western advancement and they control the country's destiny. What can I do to change that? If go to the North I risk being killed before I open my mouth. You cannot enlighten or educate someone who doesn't want it. As a people and a country, we're doomed. I can only concentrate in having a good life. Just being realistic with life.

majorbravo:

Think of what you can do for your nation.
Like you stated, there is an intellectual problem amongst the populace. So do your best to enlighten them. The present Nigeria is not our reality.

The reality is what would happen to our children and the generation after them if things continue this way.

I may not be alive to see some of the things in the illustrations given on this thread, but my hope is that enough people would see and believe in its possibility enough to start building towards it. Rome wasn't built in a day, and so Nigeria would take just as long if not more.

My desire is to ensure we do not let the next generation continue like this. We risk another slavery in the near future if we don't. Our forefathers may not have done a great job at stopping it but Providence provided us an opportunity at independence to create our own history, we should not fail our generations yet unborn by standing by and watching it happen again. It falls on us to emancipate the populace. And posts like this are how I intend to do that.
Re: Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? by majorbravo: 3:58pm On Jul 28, 2021
I've given up on Nigeria. There is no hope for anything good. The North does not want Western advancement and they control the country's destiny. What can I do to change that? If go to the North I risk being killed before I open my mouth. You cannot enlighten or educate someone who doesn't want it. As a people and a country, we're doomed. I can only concentrate in having a good life. Just being realistic with life.

I pray someday Nigeria would be better
Re: Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? by Seerade029: 4:03pm On Jul 28, 2021
Mynd44 FP plsssss.
Re: Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? by theTranscriber: 4:55pm On Jul 28, 2021
This would work when(not "if" 'cause I know it will come to pass) Nigeria is restructured and the youths take over power

I'm bookmarking this

Op you are a good visionary.
Re: Would You Like This Type Of Nigeria? by r4bbit: 5:03pm On Jul 28, 2021
I hope to see this one day

(1) (2) (Reply)

Herdsmen Kill 2 Soldiers, Take Captive; Burn Operational Vehicle In Benue/taraba / Pictures Of Saraki And President Buhari With Silent Message / Military Take Over South East Beating The War Drum & War Song

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.