Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,558 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

"Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man (17154 Views)

Employees That Slept With Their Bosses, How Did It End? / 7 Types Of Bosses In Nigeria's Corporate Outfits / Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by dollarsplenty(m): 10:04am On May 16, 2018
h
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by Alejoc(m): 10:04am On May 16, 2018
You can reject it on your terms and conditions when signing up!
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by shamecurls(m): 10:05am On May 16, 2018
Work for Chinese, Lebanes or Indian company and you will agree that Nigerians are better off.

3 Likes

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by shamecurls(m): 10:06am On May 16, 2018
Alejoc:

Naxo!

Easier said than done.

1 Like

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by zabuur: 10:10am On May 16, 2018
Also, they make u feel u should be grateful to them for paying u your salary....

1 Like

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by Nobody: 10:11am On May 16, 2018
Osaze007:

Where in Asia are you

Lol.. Check are location, you can get her location with a better longitude, latitude thing.. That's if you're smart. grin
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by Nobody: 10:12am On May 16, 2018
Alejoc:

You think dem dey write am for there? Na so.
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by Counselor123: 10:14am On May 16, 2018
Multinationals are different from local SMEs. They mostly have scaled the hurdles that a young business is facing. It is not that easy bro.
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by punisha: 10:17am On May 16, 2018
nanizle:

"Buh" "Yuh" "bout" "nutin".....

Abeg which kain English u dey type so?

Take no offence, that's a headlesschicken
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by PointZerom: 10:17am On May 16, 2018
madridguy:
Multinational company is the sweetest place to work.
But why did you choose BMC?. Cc Immhotep Lzza shalomc
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by Nobody: 10:17am On May 16, 2018
That's true. I worked for a Slovakian who resided in Japan and he would never allow me work overtime or on a weekend. He'd constantly remind me to go out and meet people after my shift, lol. But I still worked overtime and he paid me overtime bonus despite not being in our contract. One outstanding behaviour i noticed was how they apologize when they don't keep their end of a deal. Like coming a few minutes late to a meeting or not hitting sales target, damn. Felt like heaven.

Some bosses genuinely care about people working under them.

4 Likes

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by Nobody: 10:18am On May 16, 2018
QueenSuccubus:
grin

Well, same here in Asia especially if you're under Asian employers.. No matter how big or small the biznez is, they are not bothered about the wellness of their employees & some foreigners are following that kind of mentality as well angry undecided

You work hard & sometimes if u dont know how to exercise ur rights u will end up underpaid.. lipsrsealed

#ShakingMyFlatAss

I like flat asses lemme see
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by punisha: 10:19am On May 16, 2018
obaataaokpaewu:
Mine called me on Monday saying that he heard I didn't work over the weekend. I told him yes, that I come to work from a different town, he now said that my colleagues worked over the weekend and I was in my house gallivanting shocked shocked shocked. Gallivanting kwa? On a weekend? When I tried to counter a suggestion he made, he now told me that if we were in the military, I should be answering him "yes sir yes sir", that he's the one issuing the command and not me.
When we saw yesterday, he continued from where we stopped over the phone

Next time try this as he is still talking And just fire yourself...

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by simpleswazy(m): 10:19am On May 16, 2018
CastedAyo:
A Nigerian man on Twitter identified as Wole Odeyele is of the opinion that foreign bosses treat their employees better than Nigerian bosses.

Read his reasons;
"In my entire career, All foreign bosses respect weekends and after work hours.

In my experience, its only Nigerian bosses and HR that would try to price your wages down like slave drivers.

Foreign HR and Bosses are more concerned with paying you a fair wage to ensure you are well motivated

In my experience, foreign employers are less concerned with the appearance of work and more concerned with the content of work, so they allow flexibility in work hours and locations.

Nigerian employers stick with the traditional 8-5, and demand physical presence.

In my experience, foreign bosses aren't concerned about titles and ranks and try to create structures that are flat where everyone can collaborate with anyone.

Nigerian bosses are very hierarchical and you're most talk to your boss, who talks to his boss and he to his boss.

In my experience, foreign employers encourage open dialogs. Every decision can be questioned, challenged and reevaluated.

Nigerian employers are military styled. Questioning an instruction is considered insubordination and queries are issued like meal tickets

In my experience, foreign employers try to ensure profit sharing affects all employees. Everyone rises together or falls together.

Nigerian employers like to keep the juice at the very top and it won't trickle down. Even your annual bonus is questionable.

I promised myself never to work with non-multinationals again. We are incredibly close minded and shallow in our work styles.

I sometimes think our fellow country men are our own worst enemy in the workplace."

Culled from; https://www.torimill.com/2018/05/only-nigerian-bosses-make-it-seem-okay-for-you-to-work-on-weekends-man-see-why.html

come and see memo flying around for work if u question ur boss... even for meeting I don't talk again cos one day d boss will use ur word against u.. Naija style tire me
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by kenechi072: 10:25am On May 16, 2018
My dears, not lie.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by anyicash(m): 10:27am On May 16, 2018
Cos work no dey naija.
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by kenechi072: 10:29am On May 16, 2018
VampireeM:
Thank you for using the word "Insubordination!" I wonder if most Nigerian office employers and employees understand the meaning. If you try to exercise your right, that would be the title of the memo coming into your file. I just tire

That was how I worked with one idiot, always giving silly queries of insubordination. I was shocked to learn the man even went to university. In all honesty, he is one of the most incompetent people I have ever met. He has only maintained his position because of eye-service to the MD. Many people don't know their right at all. Please by all means, work with whites especially Americans and you will really enjoy your work. They are very serious minded and efficient. There's absolutely nothing like eye-service and everyone is treated with respect.

3 Likes

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by Enufo: 10:44am On May 16, 2018
True talk my Brother, most of them will even keep you at work beyond your closing time, they will not give you transport fair talk more of paying you over time cry cry cry cry cry
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by Africanpride123(m): 10:51am On May 16, 2018
SaAbbas:
This guy never work in a bank were you report 6:30am and close 9pm and some useless people will be calling you over the weekend that ATM run out of cash.

I thank GOD for my little computer school

Or work in d marketing dept of these new generation banks...where an idiot called Branch Head or Zonal Head, who graduated with a third class or 2.1 from one lousy school, will look at u and call u a laggard because u couldn't beg and meet one crazy target. Meanwhile the bank has not promoted u for over 7 years..... A place where ladies with low morals and empty brain trade their bodies to meet target and are hailed as performers, but u who is intelligent and has good result is called an embecile.

4 Likes

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by arherfish(m): 11:05am On May 16, 2018
Countersam:

Thats why its good to be your own boss.
I do 9-5 with no weekends.
I know that people like you will come here and spew thrash. If everyone becomes a boss, who will work for you and remember also that is not everybody that is privilege like you are.
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by omoharry(f): 11:06am On May 16, 2018
shamecurls:
Work for Chinese, Lebanes or Indian company and you will agree that Nigerians are better off.
You are very very right..I once worked in an Indian company and i told myslef never again will that happen,,so I know what you meant by that.
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by AJJ17(m): 11:10am On May 16, 2018
I just hope Indians are not among the foreigners because they are not better than the Nigerian Employers.
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by oglalasioux(m): 11:10am On May 16, 2018
magicminister:
All over the world, people work during the weekends. I do not agree with the haughty and disrespectful behaviors of some employers or bosses but I think this is more of a personality thing than a local or foreign thing.

I employ about 20 people in my small firm and one thing I’ve learnt through the course of my career is that majority of employees esp in Naija do not care about work. All they care about is their salary and some will do dubious things just to scheme money they haven’t earned from their employers. if you leave them or go too easy on them, they’ll run you to the ground.
I’ve had my experiences and I’m still learning every day. I really do not blame employers that eventually evolve into nasty people.

If you start out being nice to employees they won't have the mindset of shortchanging you or under performing. The problem with Nigerian firms is that the CEOs employ their relatives, friends and girlfriends which leaves the firm with incompetent hands.

When merit is the yardstick in employment and there are welfare packages you'll be surprised at the performance and willingness to work overtime even without pay.
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by Fireball(f): 11:11am On May 16, 2018
Countersam:

Thats why its good to be your own boss. I do 9-5 with no weekends.
own boss works 24 hrs bro..
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by Mkmoney(m): 11:21am On May 16, 2018
Not to be sentimental but when u see foreigners manage companies u'll feel the impact they make.Except in cases of Indians and Lebanese those guys are monsters
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by Osaze007: 11:24am On May 16, 2018
shamecurls:

I think the more populated you are the more retardedd you are

1 Like

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by uvie66: 11:47am On May 16, 2018
magicminister:
All over the world, people work during the weekends. I do not agree with the haughty and disrespectful behaviors of some employers or bosses but I think this is more of a personality thing than a local or foreign thing.

I employ about 20 people in my small firm and one thing I’ve learnt through the course of my career is that majority of employees esp in Naija do not care about work. All they care about is their salary and some will do dubious things just to scheme money they haven’t earned from their employers. if you leave them or go too easy on them, they’ll run you to the ground.
I’ve had my experiences and I’m still learning every day. I really do not blame employers that eventually evolve into nasty people.
I must agree with you, even though I live and work in the UK, what applies here can not be extended to Nigeria. If you give Nigerians too much freedom they will abuse it.
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by emmyid(m): 11:52am On May 16, 2018
SaAbbas:
This guy never work in a bank were you report 6:30am and close 9pm and some useless people will be calling you over the weekend that ATM run out of cash.

I thank GOD for my little computer school

I can relate. What about the computer school?

1 Like

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by SaAbbas(m): 11:57am On May 16, 2018
emmyid:

I can relate. What about the computer school?

It's my newly established business

1 Like

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by drizzit(m): 12:03pm On May 16, 2018
Your employer does not love you.

It's business.

They pay you because you make them money. Not because they care about you.

If you died, they'd replace you.

Don't feel bad about job hopping.
Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by QueenSuccubus(f): 12:16pm On May 16, 2018
Lakeside79:

I like flat asses lemme see

tongue grin

Re: "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man by thunderbabs: 12:18pm On May 16, 2018
True

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Show Off Your Qualifications Here / Female Bosses / PHCN Worker Electrocuted At Alagbaka, Akure, Ondo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.