Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,728 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

Why Nigeria Committed 1% CRF To Health - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Committed 1% CRF To Health (247 Views)

Open Any Newspaper Today, Tell Me Which Part Of Nigeria Committed The Most Crime / I am Attending To Health Issues Abroad, Emeifile Writes Reps / China/ Nigeria Security Partnership: Has Nigeria Committed A Strategic Blunder? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Nigeria Committed 1% CRF To Health by Nwaforj44: 1:14pm On May 17, 2018
The National Assembly has explained why it implemented the National Health Act, 2014, which stipulates that a minimum of 1 percent of the Consolidated Revenue Fund be set aside for basic healthcare.

In the N9.120 trillion 2018 budget passed by the National Assembly on Wednesday, N57.15billion was allocated for Basic Health Provision Package.

This is the first time Nigeria has implemented the Act, four years after it was passed.

Speaking after the budget was passed, Senate President Bukola Saraki, pointed out that the move will not only transform the health care landscape in the country through better public funding of health but will also translate to improved access to basic health care service in the country.

According to him, it demonstrates the commitment and responsiveness of the 8th National Assembly to health care needs of Nigerians.

This, he said, will help to achieve some of the Sustainable Development Goals especially SDG 3 which talks about Good Health and well-being by 2030.

Saraki who is also a medical doctor said: “For me, today is a very happy day for those of us who are from the medical profession. Those serving and those who are not serving. I want to on behalf of all practising doctors, not native doctors, to thank the entire National Assembly for this 1 percent of budget towards primary health care provision. This will go a long way in addressing our health issues.

“As we all know today, Nigeria accounts for 10 percent of the world maternal mortality, 9 percent for child mortality and about 8 percent for infant mortality. This is not where we should be as a country. And I think what we have done today is to open a new page that enables our people to be much healthier and stronger”.

Speaking on Thursday in Abuja, the Chairman, Senate Committee on Health, Lanre Tejuoso, said the federal legislature has lived up to its promise by including Basic Health Care Provision Package in the 2018 budget.

http://akelicious..com/2018/05/why-nigeria-committed-1-crf-to-health.html

(1) (Reply)

Incessant Killings: / Let's Trend Obj, Where Is The Power? / Buhari To Receive 2018 Budget Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.