Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,530 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? (9328 Views)

Dua For Sustenance And When In Hunger / Please What Time Did You Break Fast In Your State / Can I Break My Fast Because Of Hard Examination Or Test To Enable Me Read? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by Lukgaf(m): 2:47pm On May 17, 2018
RAMADAN 2018 SERIES
1ST Ramadan 1439

Praise be to Allah

Fasting is one of the pillars of Islam, as is well known.

Therefore it is not permissible for the Muslim to be heedless about it just because he feels thirsty or hungry, or just because he is afraid that he cannot fast. Rather he must be patient and seek the help of Allah, may He be glorified and exalted. There is nothing wrong with him pouring water on his head to cool down, or rinsing out his mouth.

He must begin his day fasting, and if it so happens that he is not able to complete it, and he fears that he may die or become sick, it is permissible for him to break the fast in that case. But he should not break the fast on the basis of a mere assumption; rather he should not break the fast unless he experiences hardship.

Ibn Qudaamah said:

The correct view is that if he fears for himself due to extreme thirst or hunger and the like, then he may break the fast.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said in his commentary on al-Kaafi:

“If he fears thirst” does not refer to mere ordinary thirst; rather it refers to the kind of thirst in which there is the fear of dying, or there is the fear of suffering harm.

End quote from Ta‘leeqaat Ibn ‘Uthaymeen ‘ala al-Kaafi (3/124).

An-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy on him) said in al-Majmoo‘ (6/258): Our companions and others said: Whoever is overcome by hunger and thirst, and fears that he may die, must break the fast, even if he is in good health and is not travelling, because Allah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not kill (or destroy) from yourselves: Surely, to you Allah has been Most Merciful (Raheem)”

[an-Nisa’ 4:29]

“and do not throw [yourselves] with your [own] hands into destruction”

[al-Baqarah 2:195].

And he must make up that day, as is required of one who is sick. And Allah knows best. End quote.

So you must make up that day, and if you were too hasty and broke the fast before experiencing the level of hardship that makes it permissible to break the fast, then you must also repent from what you did, and not do that again.

And Allah knows best.

https://islamqa.info/en/274712

To be continue tomorrow, In shaa Allah... Asalam Alaekum

9 Likes

Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by Lukgaf(m): 2:50pm On May 17, 2018
Could you kindly pour water on your head to cool down your body if you are feeling hungry or thirst @lalasticlala, sissie, Mukina2 and fellow Muslims? This Islam is beauty, so don't punish yourself!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by omololu2020(m): 9:54am On May 18, 2018
No cause problem for yourself cause you dey fast o,if hunger dey hold you,and you no chop you dey cause problem for yourself b that

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by OhiOfIhima: 9:58am On May 18, 2018
Alhamdillahi... Ramadan Kareem n Juma'at Mubaraka to all the Muslim Ummah across the Globe.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by princeade86(m): 10:00am On May 18, 2018
ask ur alfa for mosque because they have diff meaning and believe.
Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by tolufase: 10:03am On May 18, 2018
Op, if someone vomit during fasting due illness, does the fasting still valid?

4 Likes

Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by tolufase: 10:09am On May 18, 2018
[quote author=Basalt post=67660928]Best in fasting

Best in terrorism.

[

quote]. Take a break from this crap.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by nairavsdollars(f): 10:13am On May 18, 2018
Yes
Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by Alao046(m): 10:38am On May 18, 2018
tolufase:
if the vomit is not intentional, ur fast is still intact, but if the womit is intentional, you have simply broken your fast.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by Codeman01(m): 10:49am On May 18, 2018
tolufase:

Yes in as much his act of vomiting is not intentionally done, he can continue his fasting after vomit
Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by Nobody: 10:52am On May 18, 2018
What if I’m on my period and I need to eat, Can I still fast? embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by BenzEne1(m): 10:58am On May 18, 2018
KillaBeauty:
What if I’m on my period and I need to eat, Can I still fast? embarassed

I hope this isn't jest you are making.
You can't be on your period and fast. It's not allowed.

7 Likes

Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by binsanni(m): 11:00am On May 18, 2018
#JummahMubarak another jummah in our life
First jummah of this year ramadan
#JummahMubarak and #RamadanMubarak to every Muslims of the world May Allah help the #Palestinian
Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by Jabioro: 11:05am On May 18, 2018
I just bought a new mortal pestle,l can borrow you,is a good one to break any fasting..hunger or thirsty..Ole boboba!

2 Likes

Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by Nobody: 11:34am On May 18, 2018
Alao046:

if the vomit is not intentional, ur fast is still intact, but if the womit is intentional, you have simply broken your fast.

Habba, how can someone Vomit intentionally, I'm sorry but I haven't heard of this before.
Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by DonPikko: 11:55am On May 18, 2018
You will just die of hunger

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by webincomeplus(m): 11:58am On May 18, 2018
cruchenutii:

Habba, how can someone Vomit intentionally, I'm sorry but I haven't heard of this before.
What he meant was to deliberately induce vomiting e.g. by sticking your fingers into your throat. But if the vomit came "on its own", the fast remains valid.

3 Likes

Re: Ramadan: Can I Break Fast Because Of Thirst Or Hunger? by Turantula(m): 3:54pm On May 18, 2018
No don't ever break your fast, fast till Jesus come back

(1) (Reply)

Share Your Eid's Pictures Here. / Social Etiquette: Guarding Your Tongue / Some Deeds Not Meant For Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.