Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers (1373 Views)

My Husband Is So Annoying. I'm Depress. / What's That Most Annoying Thing A Visitor Has Ever Done In Your House? / The Girl Child And Sex! Mistakes African Mothers Make By Ayeni Faith Damilola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by MBmatic: 12:02am On May 18, 2018
We all know that African mothers can be very dramatic. They also indirectly teach their daughters how to be dramatic and this dramatic character manifests when
they too become Mothers.

These are a few superstitious beliefs Mothers pass on to their daughters that are expectant mothers and/or new mothers.

* Attach safety pin to your cloth around your bump; they say it's to protect the foetus from evil eyes.

* Your baby must not belch on your breast while breastfeeding: this will cause ache in your breast.
To stop the pain, blow air on your palm and hit your breast with the palm. LMAO

*If the child is doing hiccup, Cut thread and put on Baby's head: it will stop the hiccup.

*Don't Cut Baby's hair till he/she is one: lol, I don't know what that means.

*Baby must not fall from a Mother's back: they say it will make a baby boy impotent. I don't know what happens if it's a girl. grin

These are a few that I know of. Feel free to add yours. Which other superstitious belief do you know?
Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by Nobody: 12:12am On May 18, 2018
When you don't understand the purpose of a thing, abuse is inevitable. I'll advice you ask those mothers questions 'cause that's the only way to learn. Who cuts a child's hair when the child's scalp is still too fragile?
Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by Nobody: 12:15am On May 18, 2018
kimbraa:
When you don't understand the purpose of a thing, abuse is inevitable. I'll advice you ask those mothers questions 'cause that's the only way to learn. Who cuts a child's hair when the child's scalp is still too fragile?

Is it more fragile than the pussy that gets shaved all the time?
Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by donstan18: 12:19am On May 18, 2018
cheesy
Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by ahnie: 12:24am On May 18, 2018
In continuation of your transmission base on,I mean the superstitious superstition.

1--A pregnant mum mustn't get drenched by the rain.

A pregnant mum musnt eat bushmeat..or your pikin go get half past eyes angry.

A pregnant woman must not waka in the night

Yet to come to terms with these!

1 Like

Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by internationalman(m): 1:47am On May 18, 2018
The hiccups stuff is tested and trusted.....
Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:38am On May 18, 2018
Some are true anyways.....

IF YOU KNOW, YOU KNOW!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by enabledgoddess(f): 3:49am On May 18, 2018
Non of those believes is true. Our mothers where told by their mothers who were also told by their mothers. This lies began, I think as a result of helping a mother stay cautious. They know if these lies weren't told, pregnant women will be carefree. I never believed any of those, so while I was pregnant I was free spirited, yet I have the most healthy baby till date.
Don't eat plantain, don't eat groundnut, do not cook moi moi, use a safety pin ,after having the baby another rules set in put thread on hair and many more. Rubbish. No new mother should live in fear and bound to those laws, they are lies started to keep you bounded

1 Like

Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by ImaIma1(f): 8:11am On May 18, 2018
kimbraa:

I did. I skinned her hair when she was 5months

1 Like

Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by ImaIma1(f): 8:14am On May 18, 2018
They have no link at all. I didn't do any.

How can I replace God with a safety pin?

How does a white cloth on the head affect hiccups?

I also heard they should not walk in the sun.

1 Like

Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by FloraEC(f): 8:49am On May 18, 2018
angry Don't take snail meat or okra soup, it'll make your baby to drool
Don't take cold water, it'll give baby cold, make the blood congealed and maybe give baby jaundice.
Use safety pin to wade off evil spirits and eyes
Don't allow a pregnant or nursing mom to make your hair to prevent hair loss.
And many more cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by Preciouzword: 11:16am On May 18, 2018
Let's put a stop to domestic violence today. Heal the world and make it a better place. Remember, evil prevails where good men do nothing. Share and leave your comments in our comment box following the link below.
https://momsall.com/domestic-violence-family-violence-stop-domestic-violence/

1 Like

Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by TR1212: 3:31pm On May 18, 2018
Some of them are weirdly funny, like the hiccup thingy. I don't know what the relationship there is. However, I believe some were made up to make the new mum super careful. E.g, the "falling from the back" thing. I believe the fear of making your child impotent will be more effective in instilling carefulness, than the fear of "just bruising a baby's skin" due to such fall.

That's how I interpret some of these.

1 Like

Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by memories1(f): 7:57pm On May 18, 2018
I'm reading these supposed superstitions for the first time. My mum (of blessed memory) didn't mention any of these when I had my little princess some years back. Do modern mums still heed to those ancient superstitions?
Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by ovalrose(f): 8:26pm On May 18, 2018
While preggy I heard a few from well meaning colleagues and friends.
Don't wear yellow clothes. Wear a safety pin. Never eat plantain that's divided in the middle. Don't eat bush meat. Always eat biscuit bone. Smh.
Now I've given birth, it's don't walk under sun. Don't go out in the rain. Don't eat okra or uha soup. Always pour water on your breasts before feeding your baby. Right now sef my pikin dey hiccup and despite myself I'm looking around for any stray thread to put on his head....��
Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by nnamdibig(m): 9:32pm On May 18, 2018
ImaIma1:

I did. I skinned her hair when she was 5months
What difference does it make?
If the scalp is still soft, why removing the hair??
Though some babies are born without hair but the only reason they allow the hair is the believe that it helps to protect the scalp......nothing superstition about it.
Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by ImaIma1(f): 2:08am On May 19, 2018
nnamdibig:

What difference does it make?
If the scalp is still soft, why removing the hair??
Though some babies are born without hair but the only reason they allow the hair is the believe that it helps to protect the scalp......nothing superstition about it.

The hair was not growing evenly. The scalp was strong enough. I am not cutting it at one year...no more cutting
Re: Annoying Superstitions African Mothers Tell New Mothers by nnamdibig(m): 6:38am On May 19, 2018
ImaIma1:

The hair was not growing evenly. The scalp was strong enough. I am not cutting it at one year...no more cutting

As far as the scalp is strong, the hair can be cut.

(1) (Reply)

Mattress Biggest Size In The Market (4.5 By 20) Sales!!! / My Funny Story (The Man in White Garment) / What Does This Mean Please?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.