Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,663 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Stories Behind Great Hymns.... Standing On The Promises - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stories Behind Great Hymns.... Standing On The Promises (330 Views)

Stories Behind Great Hymns... What A Friend We Have In Jesus / Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior / Stories Behind Great Hymns ....are You Washed In The Blood? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Stories Behind Great Hymns.... Standing On The Promises by Sam4ky(m): 11:34am On May 20, 2018
Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Through eternal ages let His praises ring,
Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,
Standing on the promises of God.

Refrain

Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior;
Standing, standing,
I’m standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,

Refrain

Standing on the promises I now can see
Perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me;
Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,

Refrain

Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord,
Bound to Him eternally by love’s strong cord,
Overcoming daily with the Spirit’s sword,

Refrain

Standing on the promises I cannot fall,
Listening every moment to the Spirit’s call
Resting in my Savior as my all in all,

Refrain

Story:

“Standing on the Promises” was written and composed, in 1886, while Russell Carter was serving as a professor in the Pennsylvania Military Academy, a school in which he had been a member of the first graduating class.

The rhythmic martial tone of the hymn’s music possibly reflects Mr. Carter’s military academy experience.

A believer’s stability for this life as well as his confidence for eternity rests solely on the written promises of God’s Word.

It is this reminder of a Christian’s daily dependence upon the promises of God that has made this straight-forward, rhythmical gospel hymn a favorite with God’s people for the past century.

Bible Verses:
2nd Corinthians 1:20 - For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes; therefore also through Him is our Amen to the glory of God through us.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Facts You Probably Haven’t Heard About Pastor Paul Enenche / The Lord’s Test / What Does God Say About The Life And Personhood Of A Fetus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.