Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,088 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Is 13th Month Salary Taxable - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is 13th Month Salary Taxable (16525 Views)

How Do People Survive On 30k Per Month Salary In Nigeria / Are Christmas Gifts To Employees Taxable? / Enugu Workers Receive 13th Month Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by ednut1(m): 7:19am On May 22, 2018
All ur salary and allowances are taxable. Ur reliefs are consolidated relief, NHF, pensions and voluntary contribution

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by mj(m): 7:22am On May 22, 2018
FatokiFemi48:

one fact most people fail to understand is that 13th month salary is not a bonus but rather be a normal salary being worked for as an employee.

Go to your calendar, you would see that month February is the only month with normal days outline.

A simple arithmetic shows that a month should have 4 weeks multiplied by 7 days to give you 28 days as normal.

Every other month has additional 2 to 3 days making it has 30 or 31 days within.

Now sum up these extra 2 to 3 days on the rest eleven months in a year, you definitely get 29 days as your answer, resulting to another month.

Hence you agree with me that 13th month salary is never a bonus to you but an accumulated extra 29 days in a calendar year which ought to be taxed like your regular salary.

You are right. 13th month is your salary oooooo, so it will be taxed. For those saying its Leave allowance, no no, it is not. I collect both my Leave allowance and 13th month salary.

2 Likes

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by InvertedHammer: 7:25am On May 22, 2018
praxs:
Salute great nairalanders!

I work with a multinational organization. We are paid 13thmonth salary (bonus) at year end. However, tax is deducted and we end up getting net instead of gross. I tried to search online to see what the Nigerian tax law states as to taxation of 13month salary but couldn't find any.

To that, I brought it here for the experienced and learned heads to throw light on the subject. Please is it taxable? And where can I get where the Nigerian tax law talks about this so I can follow it up in my organization

/
Every income no matter the semantics is taxable except inheritance, gifts, bequests. A bonus is not a gift and tend to attract flat tax rate.

Accountants can reclassify it to make it tax exempt. Instead of salary or bonus, they can term it something fanciful to escape the tax man. Why was Lazarus hated by the people in the bible story?

/
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by elpj: 7:30am On May 22, 2018
We were paid 13th month as a government agancy by the IPPIS, but our department deducted it from our salaries. That the money was pay in error.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by jaxxy(m): 7:31am On May 22, 2018
FatokiFemi48:

one fact most people fail to understand is that 13th month salary is not a bonus but rather be a normal salary being worked for as an employee.

Go to your calendar, you would see that month February is the only month with normal days outline.

A simple arithmetic shows that a month should have 4 weeks multiplied by 7 days to give you 28 days as normal.

Every other month has additional 2 to 3 days making it has 30 or 31 days within.

Now sum up these extra 2 to 3 days on the rest eleven months in a year, you definitely get 29 days as your answer, resulting to another month.

Hence you agree with me that 13th month salary is never a bonus to you but an accumulated extra 29 days in a calendar year which ought to be taxed like your regular salary.

U do realize every coy doesn't pay 13th month so wat do u say about that? So this maths u did is applicable or Shud they complain to their employers of being cheated? 13th month isn't really a salary.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Bigsteveg(m): 7:41am On May 22, 2018
tempex88:
It's taxable. All incomes are taxable home and abroad except those with specific exemptions like income from govt bonds etc
13th month salary is not taxable, i also receive same from my company every year and its paid in full. 13th month is a bonus, that is why some companies dont pay it

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Bigsteveg(m): 7:41am On May 22, 2018
praxs:

I work with a multinational organization. We are paid 13thmonth salary (bonus) at year end. However, tax is deducted and we end up getting net instead of gross. I tried to search online to see what the Nigerian tax law states as to taxation of 13month salary but couldn't find any.

To that, I brought it here for the experienced and learned heads to throw light on the subject. Please is it taxable? And where can I get where the Nigerian tax law talks about this so I can follow it up in my organization
13th month salary is not taxable, i also receive same from my company every year and its paid in full. 13th month is a bonus, that is why some companies dont pay it

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by femi4: 7:41am On May 22, 2018
joeyswift:
People misinterpret their leave allowance as the 13th month salary. When you go on leave you are paid an extra salary as your eave allowance. But in a situation where u do not go on leave throughout the year,the allowance is paid at the end of the year and we assume its the 13th month salary
leave allowance is not compulsory, not every Organization pay leave allowance. Same goes for 13 month
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Bigsteveg(m): 7:42am On May 22, 2018
mj:

You are right. 13th month is your salary oooooo, so it will be taxed. For those saying its Leave allowance, no no, it is not. I collect both my Leave allowance and 13th month salary.

Get your facts right, 13th month is not taxable
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Bigsteveg(m): 7:43am On May 22, 2018
ednut1:
All ur salary and allowances are taxable. Ur reliefs are consolidated relief, NHF, pensions and voluntary contribution
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Bigsteveg(m): 7:44am On May 22, 2018
FatokiFemi48:

This your explanation is too deep jare, but whichever way 13th month is not taxable. i have worked with 4 multinational companies and i do receive 13th month in full
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by oshomoshi: 7:45am On May 22, 2018
It shouldn't be actually. At the end sticking to what the offer letter says is key
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Nevee: 7:51am On May 22, 2018
Your 13th month salary is an earned income so it is very much taxable. Same with your wage/bonus/allowance for working overtime. This may seem to betray common sense as some people on this thread have argued, but Taxation is about laws and principles and not what should or what ought to be.

However, you’re entitled to certain consolidated relief allowances which are tax deductible. Your contribution of 2.5% of your gross salary for the National Hoising Fund, 5% of your gross salary for NHIS, 8% of your gross emoluments (basic salary, housing and transport) as your pension contribution etc.

Oga Jarus may have one or two professional opinion on this as a tax expert.

Gracias!

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Adesina12: 7:52am On May 22, 2018
bharkarh:
I agree with your point, however, 13 month salary is not subjected to be taxed as the extra 2-3 days in each months of the year has already been taxed. I work with a private organization and my 13 month salary has never been taxed.

Ask your tax or account manager
The company is the one taking care of tax elements on benefits you received but not taxed
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Nobody: 7:57am On May 22, 2018
Suko110:
Its a gift its suppose to be exempted from tax
gift are not exempted from tax
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Ephort: 7:57am On May 22, 2018
Bigsteveg:

Bro, it's taxable according to the Nigerian Law (Personal Income Tax Act). However, so many organizations don't pay tax on it. In fact, some organizations don't pay tax on the total salary which is why some of them have two salary accounts; one for upfronts, another for end of the month. They remit only on the end of the month's salary.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Ephort: 7:58am On May 22, 2018
Section 3 (a) & (b) of Personal Income Tax Act - INCOME CHARGEABLE - "gain or profit from any trade, business, profession or vocation... (b) any salary, wage, fee, allowance or other gain or profit from employment including compensations, bonuses, premiums, benefits..."

@OP, I hope the above cited answers your question. 13th month whether a gift, bonus or allowance is taxable.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Suko110(m): 8:01am On May 22, 2018
Nyerhovwo101:
gift are not exempted from tax
Yea
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by otokx(m): 8:01am On May 22, 2018
FatokiFemi48:

Don't they go on leave?
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by pedrilo: 8:03am On May 22, 2018
Suko110:

Nice point, but let me ask you
Do you get payed weekly?
If no, your employer could choose to not pay you the so called 13th month and nothing will happen. Its simply a bonus or do we have a 13month calendar year. When it comes to remuneration, its what it is, not logic. Peace
your point made me scrow up and took back my LIKE from the guy u responded to cos i can relate wit ur point. cheers

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by pedrilo: 8:07am On May 22, 2018
InvertedHammer:

/
Every income no matter the semantics is taxable except inheritance, gifts, bequests. A bonus is not a gift and tend to attract flat tax rate.

Accountants can reclassify it to make it tax exempt. Instead of salary or bonus, they can term it something fanciful to escape the tax man. Why was Lazarus hated by the people in the bible story?

/
13th month salary is like xmas gift, bonus is different.
ur employer can decide not to giv u 13th month and notin will happen.
u can take ur employer to court for not paying ur normal monthly salary, but u cant take that same employer to court if u r not given 13th month. if u cannot take ur employer to court to make him pay u 13th month, then tax authorities shud have no business with ur 13th month,

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by ednut1(m): 8:09am On May 22, 2018
Bigsteveg:

i work for a firm who is an aunthority in tax undecided. All ur allowances and bonus are taxable jor. Except tins like per diem, travel reimbursebles
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Ephort: 8:10am On May 22, 2018
praxs:

Can I have reference? I could be wrong but I thought bonuses are exempted from tax

Section 3 (b) of Personal Income Tax Act provides that "any salary, wage, fee, allowance or other gain or profit from employment including compensations, bonuses, premiums, benefits..." are taxable. 13th month is taxable but some organizations don't remit taxes on it.

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by tfelicityk(m): 8:13am On May 22, 2018
What is 13months salary itself?
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by pedrilo: 8:14am On May 22, 2018
tfelicityk:
just like xmas gift from oga at the top
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by MaziOmenuko: 8:17am On May 22, 2018
Suko110:
Its a gift its suppose to be exempted from tax

This is the truth. 13th Month should be recorded by your finance department as a 'gift' to their employees. If your Finance Manager doesn't know this, he will keep deducting tax because all income is taxable but not gifts.

tfelicityk:

End of year bonus; mostly your basic salary without all other allownaces.

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Suko110(m): 8:29am On May 22, 2018
MaziOmenuko:

This is the truth. 13th Month should be recorded by your finance department as a 'gift' to their employees. If your Finance Manager doesn't know this, he will keep deducting tax because all income is taxable but not gifts.

End of year bonus; mostly your basic salary without all other allownaces.
Respect man, but if are to compute for PITA bonus is added to income and taxed, confirm it.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Alal(m): 8:37am On May 22, 2018
Don't challenge it much,it is a free money,what about we that are not being given
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by mrphysics(m): 8:39am On May 22, 2018
grin grin

13th month salary is taxable
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Naijaaccountwiz: 8:50am On May 22, 2018
praxs:

It is taxable, even if you classify them as something we call benefit in kind, which things like allowances fall under, it is still subject to PAYE
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by obstead200(m): 9:01am On May 22, 2018
bharkarh:
I agree with your point, however, 13 month salary is not subjected to be taxed as the extra 2-3 days in each months of the year has already been taxed. I work with a private organization and my 13 month salary has never been taxed.
ur organization is guilty of tax evasion.
According to PITA 2011(as amended) ur income from ALL sources are taxable, except those specifically exempted.
13th month is part of ur gross emoluments
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by bigplayerz(m): 9:02am On May 22, 2018
really in Nigeria a lot of companies use this to short pay their employees. but i tell you even an employee that has his/her contract terminated is due to have his/her 13th month pay computed and paid. read this article from the link :https://www./20140926144346-127356420-13th-month-pay-the-employees-rights-and-employers-obligation/
dnawah:
prove and leave your answers to d nearest references.thanks in advance.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

National Trade Test Certificate - How Relevant It Is? / Enslaved To An Indian Company By "Service Bond" / Public Relations Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.