Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,844 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Is 13th Month Salary Taxable - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is 13th Month Salary Taxable (16580 Views)

How Do People Survive On 30k Per Month Salary In Nigeria / Are Christmas Gifts To Employees Taxable? / Enugu Workers Receive 13th Month Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Ayauche(f): 9:08am On May 22, 2018
13th month is a bonus, theres is no tax on that. In my place of work, the 13th month is just ur basic salary without the allowances and so no tax is placed on it, we see it like Christmas bonus.
Just like ur leave allowance is not taxable so also is the 13th month, that's per my organization sha and I strongly believe that 13th month shouldn't be taxable.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Boss13: 9:18am On May 22, 2018
praxs:

Can I have reference? I could be wrong but I thought bonuses are exempted from tax

Bonuses are taxable income

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Bigsteveg(m): 9:18am On May 22, 2018
ednut1:
i work for a firm who is an aunthority in tax undecided. All ur allowances and bonus are taxable jor. Except tins like per diem, travel reimbursebles
Well the 13th month should be like a bonus e.g. holiday allowance. I see no reason why it should be taxed. Its an appreciation to encourage the employee. Like I said earlier, mine don't deduct.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Boss13: 9:19am On May 22, 2018
Ayauche:
13th month is a bonus, theres is no tax on that. In my place of work, the 13th month is just ur basic salary without the allowances and so no tax is placed on it, we see it like Christmas bonus.
Just like ur leave allowance is not taxable so also is the 13th month, that's per my organization sha and I strongly believe that 13th month shouldn't be taxable.

Your company is actually cheating the government. What is the name of the company?
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Bigsteveg(m): 9:19am On May 22, 2018
Ephort:

Bro, it's taxable according to the Nigerian Law (Personal Income Tax Act). However, so many organizations don't pay tax on it. In fact, some organizations don't pay tax on the total salary which is why some of them have two salary accounts; one for upfronts, another for end of the month. They remit only on the end of the month's salary.
That is salary. 13th month shoulder not be referred to as salary. Its like a bonus ans not taxable.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by fabulous986: 9:22am On May 22, 2018
Am just here to read beautiful comments and learn more...
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Koolking(m): 9:38am On May 22, 2018
FatokiFemi48:

I'm being paid on monthly basis which is regular.
Mind you if your employer denies your 13th month salary, then it's obvious he's denying you your right as against Nigeria labour law. It may not necessarily reflect in your appointment letter but labour law backs it up.
You may Google out Nigeria labour law to view for yourself if you still in doubt.

For the record, 13month salary is not statutory in Nigeria. It is not obligatory that such payment is made. Some organizations in Nigeria pay 13th month based on management approval as Christmas bonus to employees, collective bargaining or by a contract of employment between employers and their employees. I would say, it is borne out of magnanimity and motivation to employees. It's one of the measures that could improve workers' well-being. The overall value of the 13th month is to enhance better staff performance and support them during the festive periods. 13th month salary is not taxable.. If at all there is any tax, WHT would be appropriate.

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Mykl07(m): 9:47am On May 22, 2018
Suko110:
Its a gift its suppose to be exempted from tax

Gifts or BIK(BENEFITS IN KIND) are taxable
13month is part of your emoluments, in that case,it is taxable

2 Likes

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by ednut1(m): 9:52am On May 22, 2018
Bigsteveg:

Well the 13th month should be like a bonus e.g. holiday allowance. I see no reason why it should be taxed. Its an appreciation to encourage the employee. Like I said earlier, mine don't deduct.
ur company is not compliant. Wait till LIRS comes for tax audit. Una go pay grin. Bonus is taxable

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by teebantee(m): 10:45am On May 22, 2018
Section (3) of the amended Personal Income Tax Act (PITA) defines
income chargeable to include “… any salary, wage, fee, allowance or other gain or profit from
employment including compensations, bonuses, premiums, benefits or other perquisites allowed, given
or granted by any person to any temporary or permanent employee other than so much of any sums or
expenses incurred by him in the performance of his duties, and from which it is not intended that the
employee should make any profit or gain".

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by oloworulz(m): 10:50am On May 22, 2018
praxs:

Can I have reference? I could be wrong but I thought bonuses are exempted from tax
bonuses are not exempted. 14th month is taxable. 13th month is ur exact basic momthly salary on your appointment letter excluding any allowances.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by chigoziri2403(m): 10:56am On May 22, 2018
ednut1:
i work for a firm who is an aunthority in tax undecided. All ur allowances and bonus are taxable jor. Except tins like per diem, travel reimbursebles
are you centrally located in Nigeria tongue
ednut1:
are you centrally located in Nigeria
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Nobody: 11:03am On May 22, 2018
joeyswift:
People misinterpret their leave allowance as the 13th month salary. When you go on leave you are paid an extra salary as your eave allowance. But in a situation where u do not go on leave throughout the year,the allowance is paid at the end of the year and we assume its the 13th month salary

Seems you're mixing up something here. Leave allowance differs from 13th month salary. You're being cheated in style if your leave allowance is termed as your 13th month salary by your employer. I work with a multinational coy here in Nigeria where it abides with Nigeria labour law working conditions. I observe my annual leave each calendar year while earning both my leave allowance and 13th month salary annually.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by aviationguy: 11:30am On May 22, 2018
First thing is to understand what is 13th month bonus?

This is a compensation given to an employee that has worked in a company after a 1 year as a member of staff.

This compensation is not a must but an appreciation to an employees to encourage them for an efficient service in the coming year most especially when the company made profit and more clientele in the given year.

This 13th month bonus is not statutory according to our laws hence tax is evaded and no deductions what so ever should be done on it by any company paying such, b
ut the employees should be made to understand the company places high values in the employees of the company.

This is my 12 years in Aviation industry and over the years 13th months bonus has been paid with no tax or deductions on it so if any company deduct tax or any other deductions is basically wrong hence employees core values are not appreciated.

For further clarification whatsapp me 08032387510.

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Immaangel2: 12:04pm On May 22, 2018
pls i earn 50,000 naira per month as my gross. pls how much will be my tax?
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 22, 2018
What is 13th month salary? The amount of money you earn from your employer at the end of the 12th calender year equivalent to your monthly salary. Isn't it? This is not taxable bro. Maybe it is for the civil servants I can't say but for the private organisations, It is not and is called "end of the year bonus." To the best of my knowledge though.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by mrphysics(m): 4:09pm On May 22, 2018
Bigsteveg:

That is salary. 13th month shoulder not be referred to as salary. Its like a bonus ans not taxable.
bonus are taxed. Only dividend and interests that are not taxed. Bonus and other allowances are subject to tax
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by mrphysics(m): 4:10pm On May 22, 2018
ruffbamreal:
What is 13th month salary? The amount of money you earn from your employer at the end of the 12th calender year equivalent to your monthly salary. Isn't it? This is not taxable bro. Maybe it is for the civil servants I can't say but for the private organisations, It is not and is called "end of the year bonus." To the best of my knowledge though.

the best of your knowledge isn't enough. You haven't read the PIT ACT. All allowances and bonues are taxable income. It is an income and is subject to tax
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by mrphysics(m): 4:12pm On May 22, 2018
Immaangel2:
pls i earn 50,000 naira per month as my gross. pls how much will be my tax?
Do you pay for pension? NHS, and NMO/LAP?

I can help you calculate your PAYE but I need to know if you pay the above named.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by mrphysics(m): 4:15pm On May 22, 2018
ednut1:
ur company is not compliant. Wait till LIRS comes for tax audit. Una go pay grin. Bonus is taxable
Lol, don't mind them. All these English wouldn't save them. PIT ACT is there, yet they've refused to read
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Ephort: 6:14pm On May 22, 2018
Bigsteveg:

Bonuses, allowances and benefits are all taxable. See section 3 (b) Personal Income Tax Act.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Agwaso: 9:20pm On May 22, 2018
Bigsteveg:

13th month salary is not taxable, i also receive same from my company every year and its paid in full. 13th month is a bonus, that is why some companies dont pay it
. 13th month salary is taxed. Your 13th month salary is higher than your normal salary not because it is not taxed but because 8% pencom is not deducted from 13th month salary. Get further clarification from your accountant

1 Like

Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 22, 2018
Agwaso:
. 13th month salary is taxed. Your 13th month salary is higher than your normal salary not because it is not taxed but because 8% pencom is not deducted from 13th month salary. Get further clarification from your accountant

absolutely correct.
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Immaangel2: 9:16am On May 23, 2018
mrphysics:

Do you pay for pension? NHS, and NMO/LAP?

I can help you calculate your PAYE but I need to know if you pay the above named.

yesi pay for health insurance and it is 1k per month
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by mrphysics(m): 10:33am On May 23, 2018
Immaangel2:

yesi pay for health insurance and it is 1k per month
Only health insurance
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Immaangel2: 8:17pm On May 24, 2018
mrphysics:

Only health insurance
health
tax
and other internal bills like staff welfare
pensions is 8% of my salary. and my gross income is 70k
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by praxs(m): 8:57pm On May 24, 2018
This pains me becoz my gross is 450,000.. About 100,000 goes to the useless govt as tax. Paying me the gross as my 13month instead of net will at least bring smile in my face
Re: Is 13th Month Salary Taxable by Belemalov: 12:04am On May 26, 2018
SamuelAnyawu:
grin Among NGOs here it is a gift.. just an end of year bonus grin this is why i love NGOs like PLAN, IRC,FHI

Hello bro, please I will love to work with a very good NGO, how do i go aboiut it,, my email is victorannavi@gmail.com, thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

National Trade Test Certificate - How Relevant It Is? / Which Of These Skills Should I Go For? / What Certification Course Can A Microbiologist Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.