Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,721 members, 7,809,736 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

Where Are The Libya Slavery Returnees? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Are The Libya Slavery Returnees? (517 Views)

Returnees: Xenophobic Attacks Have Official Approval / Xenophobia: FG Gives Loan, 9GB Data, N40,000 Airtime To South African Returnees / Xenophobia: Abike Dabiri Receives 187 Returnees, Promises Stipend, Loan (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Are The Libya Slavery Returnees? by DevelopNaija: 7:59pm On May 20, 2018
Last year, there was a viral video about the slave trade/inhumane treatment of Nigerians (mostly illegal migrants) in Libya. Virtually everyone who saw the video felt sorry for the Libya slavery victims and advocated for the safe return of these Nigerians back to Nigeria.

Nigerian celebrities posted clips of the slavery on social media, showing their sympathy and advocating for the end of Modern Day Slavery. Political figures aired their opinion and condemned the slavery. Others blamed certain individuals and bodies for the slavery. Political parties blamed their opponents for the slavery.

The slavery news then faded gradually and the media now barely covers anything relating to it. The big Questions are:

1. Did anything change?

2. Were there solutions implemented to curb the slavery and the incessant illegal migration?

A lot of people wrote: “This is injustice…” “It saddens my heart…” Nigerian lives matter….” “End modern slavery…”; But how many individuals, celebrities, political parties, influential figures and organisations took impactful actions to support the Libya returnees and/or discourage people who have thoughts of treading such path through empowerment? How many? I guess they aren’t even up to the total number of my fingers and toes.

“In foreign countries, especially western countries, you will see different people donating to these people that have been to hell and back. But black people, especially Nigerians, the only time you see them contributing massively is when they fund their pastor’s expensive lifestyle or on frivolous things that can never add value to the economy. They want everything to be the government. Before you ask, what about me? I’m also part of the problem, but at least I don’t get my priorities wrong and I contribute from the little I have.” – Expression of a concerned fellow.

In this county, we need to stop talking and apportioning blames, and start taking meaningful and valuable actions no matter how little it may appear.

You may say – “I don’t know any of the returnees’’, but what about those people around you who are desperately seeking for something engaging and meaningful to do? Who knows, their next plan could be illegal migration to Libya or another country. Right now, there are people who just left the country illegally for greener pastures.

Accolades goes to the few individuals and organisations that have secretly or openly empowered the slavery victims and those who are in desperate need of a better life.

We should stop waiting on only the Government to do everything! If we do, we will wait endlessly! Dear individuals and organisations, let us rise, take valuable actions and contribute sustainably (no matter how little) to the growth and development of Nigeria.

Don’t forget to vote leaders who have the vision for sustainable development, and prior, have contributed sustainably to Nigeria’s economic growth and development

What is your contribution towards empowering the Libya returnees and their counterparts? What is your contribution towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Nigeria? We would like to hear from you.

Source - www.developnaija.com

Re: Where Are The Libya Slavery Returnees? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:00pm On May 20, 2018
I don't know any of them.....

Guess they are re-strategizing .....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Are The Libya Slavery Returnees? by DevelopNaija: 8:22pm On May 20, 2018
post=67729645:
I don't know any of them.....

Guess they are re-strategizing .....

Re-strategizing what?
Re: Where Are The Libya Slavery Returnees? by HOLYDICK(m): 9:01pm On May 20, 2018
Good question asked there
But u know this is Nigeria everything u think right or that was supposed to be done its always the opposite , the country is faced with different problems so those returnees supposed to get help from the gov or able individuals but wallas this is 9ja its a secondry prob the gove or those who can donate dosent cares

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Libya Slavery Returnees? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:01pm On May 20, 2018
DevelopNaija:

Re-strategizing what?
Guess they wanna go back.
Some people never learn!
Re: Where Are The Libya Slavery Returnees? by DevelopNaija: 9:30pm On May 20, 2018
post=67731131:

Guess they wanna go back.
Some people never learn!

It has nothing to do with 'some people never learn'. They know the path they are treading is suicidal.
You think if the government or financial capable individuals care, they'll think of going back?

In this county, we need to stop talking and apportioning blames, and start taking meaningful and valuable actions no matter how little it may appear.
Re: Where Are The Libya Slavery Returnees? by DevelopNaija: 9:35pm On May 20, 2018
HOLYDICK:
Good question asked there
But u know this is Nigeria everything u think right or that was supposed to be done its always the opposite , the country is faced with different problems so those returnees supposed to get help from the gov or able individuals but wallas this is 9ja its a secondry prob the gove or those who can donate dosent cares

Sad truth! It's high time we stopped waiting on only the Government to do everything! If we do, we will wait endlessly! Dear individuals and organisations, let us rise, take valuable actions and contribute sustainably (no matter how little) to the growth and development of Nigeria.

Moreso, in this coming election, we should vote leaders who have the vision for sustainable development, and prior, have contributed sustainably to Nigeria’s economic growth and development.

Never let the name of a political party be a voting criterion, rather, the candidate's past and present contribution to sustainable development in Nigeria, should be the major factor!

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Libya Slavery Returnees? by HOLYDICK(m): 9:47pm On May 20, 2018
DevelopNaija:

Sad truth! It's high time we stopped waiting on only the Government to do everything! If we do, we will wait endlessly! Dear individuals and organisations, let us rise, take valuable actions and contribute sustainably (no matter how little) to the growth and development of Nigeria.

Moreso, in this coming election, we should vote leaders who have the vision for sustainable development, and prior, have contributed sustainably to Nigeria’s economic growth and development.

Never let the name of a political party be a voting criterion, rather, the candidate's past and present contribution to sustainable development in Nigeria, should be the major factor!

Gbam i concur boss
relying on government to solve every problem in society inevitably leads to political disagreements about how to solve those problems. If everything in our lives becomes political, then there is no respite from the political. This can only increase the polarization of society, driving us nigerians farther into their respective bunkers.

Obviously, there is a proper role for government, and the limits of that role will always be the subject of political debate. But perhaps the next time we encounter a problem in society, we should think twice before asking government to solve it for us.

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Libya Slavery Returnees? by DevelopNaija: 10:21pm On May 20, 2018
HOLYDICK:

Gbam i concur boss
relying on government to solve every problem in society inevitably leads to political disagreements about how to solve those problems. If everything in our lives becomes political, then there is no respite from the political. This can only increase the polarization of society, driving us nigerians farther into their respective bunkers.

Obviously, there is a proper role for government, and the limits of that role will always be the subject of political debate. But perhaps the next time we encounter a problem in society, we should think twice before asking government to solve it for us.

Thank you!
I think the earlier we stop depending on the government to solve our problems, the better we become in strategizing on how to make Nigeria become better without the government.

I believe is possible.

(1) (Reply)

The Ongoing Umuodu Youth Election In Owerri Municipal Imo State... / Best Of Goodluck Ebele Jonathan The Democrat / Game For The Wise; Explain This Proverb In Your Wisdom.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.