Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa (9869 Views)

USSD Charge: FG Stops Telecoms Companies From Charging USSD Transactions / South African Deputy Minister Of Police Defends Xenophobic Attacks (Video) / Onnoghen: ‘CCT Boss, Umar, Has No Pending Criminal Charge’ ~FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Nairalandaire: 6:32am On May 24, 2018
The House of Representatives on Wednesday called on the Federal Government to institute stiffer measures against South Africa over the endless xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in that country.

This was sequel to a motion entitled “Urgent call for concerted Diplomatic Action to stop the recurring killings of Nigerians in South Africa” by Rep. Nkeiruka Onyejeocha (Abia-PDP) at plenary.

She urged the Federal Government to invoke the United Nations (UN) law on hate and all forms of xenophobic attacks against South Africa so as to make its government take the issue seriously.

“On May 5, one Mr Francis Ochuba who hailed from Umudim Ngodo Isuochi, Umunneochi Local Government Area of Abia was gunned down in central Johannesburg while visiting his tenant with his female South African estate agent to demand rent.

“We are also informed that on May 13, Mr Chidi Ibebuike, who hailed from Uturu, Isuikwuato LGA, Abia, was shot dead and his car snatched at Mpumalanga, South Africa.

“One Sunday Ezeji popularly known as ‘Alhaji’ was also shot to death on Nov. 17, 2017 in front of his shop at Pretoria, South Africa.

“We are concerned that Nigerians remain an endangered people in South Africa with no succour in sight from either the Nigerian or South African Government,” she said.

The lawmaker said that it was worrisome that Nigerians “are attacked and killed in cold blood sometimes within the view of South African law enforcement agents’’.

She said a lot needed to be done by the Federal Government through deliberations with its South African counterpart to ensure the protection of its citizens and for justice to be done over previous incidents.

Onyejeocha, however, said that her committee had resolved that the House would invite the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama and Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa.

She explained that the government officials would brief the lawmakers on measures taken by the Presidency to guarantee security of lives and property of Nigerians in South Africa.

“We condemn the killings of Francis Ochuba, Chidi Ibebuike and Sunday Ezekiel on Nov. 17, 2017, May 5 and May 13, respectively, and other 116 Nigerians gruesomely murdered in South Africa in the last two years.

“We urge the Federal Government to undertake diplomatic engagements with the Republic of South Africa on the need to protect the rights and lives of Nigerians in South Africa.

In his submission, Rep Aminu Shagari described the xenophobic acts as recurrent decimal.
He said that in spite the efforts by the lawmakers to engage their South African counterparts on the matter, the intervention seemed unsuccessful.

According to Shagari, if South Africans cannot guarantee the lives of Nigerians, we also cannot guarantee the lives of South Africans in Nigeria.

On his part, Rep. Tobi Okechukwu (Enugu-PDP) said the motion called for concerted effort to stop the killings.

According to him, data available show that every month, five Nigerians are killed in South Africa.

He said it was worrisome that while Nigerians were being attacked in South Africa, their nationals were having a field day in Nigeria.

Rep. Rotimi Agunsoye (Lagos-APC) noted that the role of government was to protect the lives and property of citizens at home and abroad, hence, Nigeria must not spare effort at ensuring protection of its nationals.

On her part, Rep. Nnenna Ukeji (Abia-PDP) expressed concern over the rate of arms proliferation in South Africa, which according to her, informed all the atrocities.

She insisted that Nigeria should not relent in ensuring that perpetrators of the heinous act were prosecuted.

[url]The House of Representatives on Wednesday called on the Federal Government to institute stiffer measures against South Africa over the endless xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in that country.

This was sequel to a motion entitled “Urgent call for concerted Diplomatic Action to stop the recurring killings of Nigerians in South Africa” by Rep. Nkeiruka Onyejeocha (Abia-PDP) at plenary.

She urged the Federal Government to invoke the United Nations (UN) law on hate and all forms of xenophobic attacks against South Africa so as to make its government take the issue seriously.

“On May 5, one Mr Francis Ochuba who hailed from Umudim Ngodo Isuochi, Umunneochi Local Government Area of Abia was gunned down in central Johannesburg while visiting his tenant with his female South African estate agent to demand rent.

“We are also informed that on May 13, Mr Chidi Ibebuike, who hailed from Uturu, Isuikwuato LGA, Abia, was shot dead and his car snatched at Mpumalanga, South Africa.

“One Sunday Ezeji popularly known as ‘Alhaji’ was also shot to death on Nov. 17, 2017 in front of his shop at Pretoria, South Africa.

“We are concerned that Nigerians remain an endangered people in South Africa with no succour in sight from either the Nigerian or South African Government,” she said.

The lawmaker said that it was worrisome that Nigerians “are attacked and killed in cold blood sometimes within the view of South African law enforcement agents’’.

She said a lot needed to be done by the Federal Government through deliberations with its South African counterpart to ensure the protection of its citizens and for justice to be done over previous incidents.

Onyejeocha, however, said that her committee had resolved that the House would invite the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama and Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa.

She explained that the government officials would brief the lawmakers on measures taken by the Presidency to guarantee security of lives and property of Nigerians in South Africa.

“We condemn the killings of Francis Ochuba, Chidi Ibebuike and Sunday Ezekiel on Nov. 17, 2017, May 5 and May 13, respectively, and other 116 Nigerians gruesomely murdered in South Africa in the last two years.

“We urge the Federal Government to undertake diplomatic engagements with the Republic of South Africa on the need to protect the rights and lives of Nigerians in South Africa.

In his submission, Rep Aminu Shagari described the xenophobic acts as recurrent decimal.
He said that in spite the efforts by the lawmakers to engage their South African counterparts on the matter, the intervention seemed unsuccessful.

According to Shagari, if South Africans cannot guarantee the lives of Nigerians, we also cannot guarantee the lives of South Africans in Nigeria.

On his part, Rep. Tobi Okechukwu (Enugu-PDP) said the motion called for concerted effort to stop the killings.

According to him, data available show that every month, five Nigerians are killed in South Africa.

He said it was worrisome that while Nigerians were being attacked in South Africa, their nationals were having a field day in Nigeria.

Rep. Rotimi Agunsoye (Lagos-APC) noted that the role of government was to protect the lives and property of citizens at home and abroad, hence, Nigeria must not spare effort at ensuring protection of its nationals.

On her part, Rep. Nnenna Ukeji (Abia-PDP) expressed concern over the rate of arms proliferation in South Africa, which according to her, informed all the atrocities.

She insisted that Nigeria should not relent in ensuring that perpetrators of the heinous act were prosecuted.

[/url]The House of Representatives on Wednesday called on the Federal Government to institute stiffer measures against South Africa over the endless xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in that country.

http://dailypost.ng/2018/05/23/xenophobic-attacks-reps-charge-fg-punish-south-africa/

7 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Zanzbir: 6:35am On May 24, 2018
FG doesnt have balls

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by bro4u: 6:36am On May 24, 2018
Xenophobic attacks is being mented on Nigerians everyday and our stupid Foreign Affairs Ministry kept/still keeping quite while it continues, the Minister of that fvcking Ministry needs to be sacked and replaced with a stubornly strong-headed cannibal.

Giant of Africa my armpit!

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:36am On May 24, 2018
Good development ....

Better late than Never!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by mayweather145: 6:36am On May 24, 2018
Imagine those ppl ! The nigerian goverment should deal with them severly. They have brands like mtn and dstv in nigeria fetching them billions of dollar. When we have the likes of glo and tstv here ,owned by us . Yet the s.a brand sells more...peacefully without any form of hatred ! In fact we should cut all business relations with them for 1 year and sees who will suffer it !

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Nobody: 6:36am On May 24, 2018
angry

Punish South Africa indeed....

Is it the same FG that cannot prosecute it's own citizens that have been charged with money laundering even with enough evidence on ground, that wants to leave it's shores to go and punish South Africa as a nation.?

8 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by maxiuc(m): 6:36am On May 24, 2018
sad angry

Longest over due

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Dottore: 6:37am On May 24, 2018
Long overdue. Are they just waking up from slumber??

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Oluwabenjamin(m): 6:37am On May 24, 2018
When FG never purnish the Reps and the polithiefians na South Africa he wan purnish....I knew this country called Nigeria is a joke
Even we the citizens go through more torture and hardship than the xenophobic attacks over there

10 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by MrRhymes101(m): 6:38am On May 24, 2018
They should be careful not to do what will expose nigerians there to greater danger... Wedding MC
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by tectonotimes: 6:39am On May 24, 2018
Hmmm!!! This is a very good development. Click on the first link on my signature if you are really interested in making millions of naira from non-oil export.
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Pavore9: 6:39am On May 24, 2018
The sad truth is that the killings will continue. angry
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by galadima77(m): 6:41am On May 24, 2018
Oluwabenjamin:
When FG never purnish the Reps and the polithiefians na South Africa he wan purnish....I knew this country called Nigeria is a joke
Even we the citizens go through more torture and hardship than the xenophobic attacks over there

true talk.... u deserve 3 kolanuts

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by s3tt1ngz003: 6:42am On May 24, 2018
Foolish south Africans that not accommodate, while we tolerate the extortion of their big companies here.

Pls I need any material regarding this topic

An examination of the effect of abandoned property on residential properties

1 Like

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by nairavsdollars(f): 6:42am On May 24, 2018
We have a very weak government. Only tough on PDP members

1 Like

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by iambijo(m): 6:43am On May 24, 2018
Dev
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by ObservantFellow: 6:43am On May 24, 2018
The ones that are still there waiting for Reps to 'charge', dem bury their placenta there ni? angry
For those that money is keeping from leaving there, Govt should work through their embassy in SA and provide means for them to leave.
Because before this reps would finish charging, people battery don finish

1 Like

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Alariiwo: 6:43am On May 24, 2018
What is FG's business with Igbos

1 Like

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Nobody: 6:45am On May 24, 2018
it's about time
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Akinz0126(m): 6:45am On May 24, 2018
Shou Sha dem don even ma handle killing 4 9ja herek finish ni?Well should i call this karma after all Abacha killed two of their journalist way back
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by sotall(m): 6:47am On May 24, 2018
Ok
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Fitnessman(m): 6:48am On May 24, 2018
There should be a solution to all this
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by LoGiCkk: 6:49am On May 24, 2018
The federal government would rather spend tax payers money on frivolous issues than take measures that would secure lives of Nigerians living abroad. I know some people would say those victims are the cause of their problems for travelling out and engaging in shady businesses blah blah blah, but the truth is , it's not all Nigerians living abroad that are into shady deals, most people do honest and time taking jobs just to assist their family down here in Nigeria where things are so hard now...but then, in a country where the president has often referred to her citizens as "fantastically corrupt " and "lazy",I don't see why any citizens of other countries or their governments would take Nigerians serious or protect them.
In conclusion, Fulanis or Hausas don't travel out often or at all and so this issue raised in the Senate would be taken lightly, if you know what I mean.
God help us.

2 Likes

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by arsenal33: 6:50am On May 24, 2018
nairavsdollars:
We have a very weak government. Only tough on PDP members

What did PDP govt do to SA when the attacks started?
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by uuzba(m): 6:50am On May 24, 2018
Driving on my my way to work, I usually pick up people. Pure random strangers.
1. So I don't drive a carbon polluting car all alone.
2. So they have some comfort in a private car instead of rickety danfo.
-
On one occasion, some Lady would not stop singing praise worship.
Inside my personal car again? Can I not have quite inside my own car?
I asked to lady to please stop singing.
-
She got offended. In the USUAL BAD GRAMMAR of said persons, she said, " I belongS to Jesus ".
And came down from my car.
I will not mention her tribe. But from that sentence and grammatical error, you can tell exactly her tribe.
-
Now what about me? Did I ask you who you belong to?
Can I not have quiet inside my own car again? Do you know I too was praying quietly and YOU were disturbing me in my car? After all, I'm carrying strangers and any one of you can attack me and steal my car.
-
When people start dealing with Nigerians in foreign counties, SOMETIMES Nigerians did not bother to respect those people's privacy/quiet/culture.
-
I AM JUST SAYING O!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by jubianose(m): 6:51am On May 24, 2018
Nigerian govt has not protected her own citizens, how much more her citizen outside the shores of the country

1 Like

Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Paperwhite(m): 6:52am On May 24, 2018
A government that is so insensitive to the lives of its citizens within how can the same cared for the ones outside the shore of this country?
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Lincoln275(m): 6:52am On May 24, 2018
hmmm
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Nobody: 6:54am On May 24, 2018
I live in a hole,where the lives of the populace is not recognized.
Re: Xenophobic Attacks: Reps Charge FG To Punish South Africa by Nobody: 6:54am On May 24, 2018
Hmmmm. What of d ones being killed in Nigeria. Who are they fooling.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wike: Secondus Sabotaging PDP's Efforts, Wants APC To Continue Ruling Nigeria / #endsars Panel Report: UN, U.S., Falana Demand Accountability / Soludo Appointed National Leader Of APGA By The Party's NEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.