Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,945 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:37 PM

Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? (17455 Views)

Why Nigerians Are Buying Electric Car Despite Epileptic Power Supply. / List Of Countries Who Are Switching From Fossil Fuel Cars To Electric Cars / These High End luxury Electric Cars Are Coming To Compete With Tesla (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Premiumwriter: 4:49pm On May 24, 2018
Electric cars no be beans.

I can see NL official wisest man NwaAmaikpe

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by BruncleZuma: 4:50pm On May 24, 2018
grin grin grin grin

AutoJosh, your village people have finally caught up with you.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by elldeb101(m): 4:50pm On May 24, 2018
Public enlightenment and maintenance cost.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by BlackHatNaija: 4:51pm On May 24, 2018
The economy is not matured yet for this, even the roads.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by lexyman(m): 4:53pm On May 24, 2018
no stable electricity ... the answer is so simple
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by ezy9: 4:53pm On May 24, 2018
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by ProPlay: 4:54pm On May 24, 2018
Light no dey
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by NoMoreTrolling: 4:55pm On May 24, 2018
some people here are saying no light, that they even have to buy extra power bank for their phones.

my question is, how do you charge that extra power bank
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by talk2dboss: 4:55pm On May 24, 2018
Nigerians always want to trend for the wrong reasons
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by uwajeh(m): 4:56pm On May 24, 2018
If you've seen an electric car charging port/ station in Nigeria I'll really love to know.

It simply doesn't make economic sense to buy an electric car in Nigeria at the moment. Where will you charge it?!!

Besides the guys who buy Ferraris, Bugatti et al are super rich and can afford to fly their cars abroad for maintenance.

Apart from the super rich geeks of silicon valley no super wealthy individual buys an electric car.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by AngelicBeing: 4:58pm On May 24, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Mumu question.
Nigerians haven't seen electricity to charge their phones and powerbanks,

It's now to charge car.

There's no sense in it.
Why buy a car to show say you pass your neighbor when you'd have to rely on "I-pass-my-neighbor" generator to use it?
grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Berlyn1(f): 4:58pm On May 24, 2018
I will be the first to buy one grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by nanotechy: 4:58pm On May 24, 2018
Nigerian mechanics are pure evil. I bought a 2005 Nissan frontier in 2015 for about 3m. This was a very clean car I was going to use for field work whenever in naija. I used it in 2016, and it developed a transmission problem. Nigerian mechanics ruined that car. I have spent above 2m trying to fix it....replaced transmission, engine without any meaningful progress....this guys can't do a simple diagnoses although you see them carrying auto diagnostic tools opandan. I have made up my mind never to bring anything other than a Toyota to naija. That's the engine our mechanics understand...I'll pass on the electric car, thank you very much

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by obaataaokpaewu: 4:58pm On May 24, 2018
5hours to charge to 100%? That's like taking 5hours in a filing station to full your tank. They should work on the time taken to charge
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by cyberpelumy(m): 4:59pm On May 24, 2018
By month end, 'NEPA' will tell you why you shouldn't buy such car here in our obodo Naija... NEPA estimated bill be like

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by xreal: 5:01pm On May 24, 2018
Where is the electricity to charge it?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 24, 2018
How much was they seller it?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Ofodirinwa: 5:02pm On May 24, 2018
You're calling people ignorant for not buying an electric car in a country with no real electricity and no standing electric car charging grid? Who's the ignorant one?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by KrystosCJ(m): 5:03pm On May 24, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
I see super cars a lot in Lekki and VI, sometimes Ikeja, and I wonder why people who can afford up to five super cars in their garages with hefty price tags and mind-blowing import duties, have no single electric car in their fleet.
Then I asked myself the question, “why” . Some Electric Vehicles (EVs) are cheaper than some of this super cars, cheaper not just in terms of initial cost of purchase, but also cost of maintenance .

Let’s take a look at some reasons and excuses Nigerians have given for not buying EVs .

Ignorance
Whether we choose to believe it or not, in this digital age, some people still don’t know there are cars that can run without fuel. Remember the driverless car video that went viral in Naija here some weeks ago ?, some people taught their village people were driving the car. Emancipate yourselves from ignorance, electric cars do exist. Funny enough, cars that “technically” run on water also exist, just that they are still undergoing a lot of tests and research. But electric cars really do exist and it’s no longer a scarce commodity.

No Power
The enlightened Nigerians, have a default answer they give anytime you mention electric cars “where the light wey I wan take charge am ? ” . The truth is, technology has improved so much that most of these cars charge considerably fast and some of them can last for a range as much as 300km, some of them are hitting the 400km mark already. Just for scale, the approximate distance between Lagos and Benin is 300km.I doubt if an average Nigerian drives such distance every single day, that means a single charge would last you about 2-3 days if not more ! .

An average electric car charges from 0-100% in approximately 5 hours.With the epileptic supply in most places in Naija, some areas get uninterrupted supply, and if yours is so poor you would get at least 2 -5 hours per day !.

No Parts
Seriously ? , have you seen a Lambo’s or Ferrari’s or Porcshe’s or even Rolls Royce parts in Ladipo market ? (I may be wrong, but I doubt it),but we see people drive these cars, so why giving the same excuses for electric cars that need almost no maintenance . Don’t get me wrong, all machines need to be maintained, but because electric cars don’t have combustion engines, and have considerably less moving parts compared to regular fuel cars, they hardly break down and have faults. Abeg, stop giving this excuse.

No Trained Mechanics
Just like the point made above you would most likely not need frequent fixes, so visiting the mechanic all the time is ruled out.

Cost
Nigerians have a default “incantation” these days, “no money, no money” “we are in Buhari season”.But if you stand at a bus stop in a developed area for 30 minutes you would see at least 5 cars that cost 10 Million Naira or more, that’s excluding the cost of fuel everyday and periodic maintenance .The Ford Focus electric 2018 costs approximately 10.5 Million Naira without fuelling everyday.

Dear reader, why haven’t you bought an electric car if you can afford it ?

I personally think electric cars are the way forward in this country, it would cripple the cost of fuel (law of demand and supply), it would have a massive ripple effect on the economy.

What are your thoughts ?

We would like to hear from you .

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/why-are-nigerians-not-buying-electric-cars/

You forgot to add traffic and bad roads. Who knows, maybe Customs may throw in a little extra weight.

Even today, not a single foreign solar product manufacturer is willing to invest in building a local solar factory in Nigeria. It would be cheaper if we had an electric car company established in Nigeria.

Vision 20XX things.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by mastercee(m): 5:07pm On May 24, 2018
SolutionMee:
cry

The reason is because we are not vulnerable to the propaganda of the whites

They can't just be dictating for us all the time

We have the money but we will punish them by refusing to buy

They gave us Java phone .. they changed it and we didn't talk

They came up with Symbian .. they changed it and we still maintain our peace

They came with Android and IOS and we were still submissive

They came with Firefox OS and we rejected it

They came with Apple and we ate it

They direct our fate as a human

They impose their will on us

I don't love it that way

I want us to rule over them

Science is every countries right

we aren't inferior

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Akinwale1424(m): 5:08pm On May 24, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
I think you need to go to YouTube and watch how much a tesla costs to maintain once it's outside warranty. The bills are enough to send you into poverty. cry
grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by chukzyfcbb: 5:08pm On May 24, 2018
op you try but e still remain small make u make sense.

how much power does it take to fully charge a car, in Lagos here we are charged an average of 24naira per kilowatt.

if an electric car, uses 1000kilowatt for full charge, it means it will cost us 24,000naira for a full charge.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by mjay2018: 5:15pm On May 24, 2018
I actually had a feel of the electric car (Tesla) while in Orlando, Florida. The one I drove in was a bigger one costing $110,000.

Ignorance wise, Ill tell you that not all those in the states are familiar with the car.

Charging wise, The spec I experienced has free charging and there are several turbo charging point in the states along travel route

There is no engine to service or maintain, the boot and the bonnet look the same, you don't visit a mechanic and maintenance can be like once a year for the electric parts.

It does not make any sound, infact you don't hear anything while it moves.

Truth is you can get some other specs for like $70k and the used like $30k-40k

Those who have used it are already hooked, their experience are whaooo cos its way cheaper to run on the long run. Imagine not buying fuel, no servicing and no cost of regular maintanace.

Maybe as usual in Nigeria one can move round with an extra battery for long journey, a fully charged battery can go 300miles.

Problem I see is in the 'Parts' problems when it is damaged by Danfos, or bad roads.

I am already fascinated, its a moving computer and the ride is sooo smooth.

Yes its possible to use it in nigeria. But it wont be the only car the owner has.

Ill check my archives if i can still locate the pics I took with it Ill post it if I can.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by ceejayluv(m): 5:16pm On May 24, 2018
Electric cars can take up to 8 hours to charge from flat to full battery using a normal 13A wall socket. So, there'll be a need for designated charging stations which will provide one and half hours of optimal charge from flat. So, it all boils down to power availability. We're not even talking about the cost here.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by ceejayluv(m): 5:21pm On May 24, 2018
chukzyfcbb:
op you try but e still remain small make u make sense.

how much power does it take to fully charge a car, in Lagos here we are charged an average of 24naira per kilowatt.

if an electric car, uses 1000kilowatt for full charge, it means it will cost us 24,000naira for a full charge.

The typical electric car (Tesla) will take 80khw of power to fully charge. At 24 naira per kilowatt-hour, that will amount to about 2000 (2 thousand) naira to fully charge from flat with a range of circa 300 miles (equivalent : Onitsha to Lagos.) It makes sense on paper but we have the infrastructural disadvantage to fully maximise the experience here.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Niccoloimhotep: 5:21pm On May 24, 2018
E
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by wink2015(m): 5:25pm On May 24, 2018
SENATOR BEN MURRAY BRUCE

"the make commonsense senator" bought electric cars.

It is only Senator Ben Murray Bruce that I know of.

I do not know whether he is riding his electric machine as at today.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Mikeross62: 5:30pm On May 24, 2018
No money and I don't think the charging station can be maintained,due to high cost of running it.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Akinwale1424(m): 5:34pm On May 24, 2018
Berlyn1:
I will be the first to buy one grin
We Go Buy It Togethergrin, Hope Light Dey Ur Area Wella?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by africanusvu(m): 5:39pm On May 24, 2018
Op.forget long grammar.d answers is because you haven't bought yopurs yet..buy urs first and let's see
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 24, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
I see super cars a lot in Lekki and VI, sometimes Ikeja, and I wonder why people who can afford up to five super cars in their garages with hefty price tags and mind-blowing import duties, have no single electric car in their fleet.
Then I asked myself the question, “why” . Some Electric Vehicles (EVs) are cheaper than some of this super cars, cheaper not just in terms of initial cost of purchase, but also cost of maintenance .

Let’s take a look at some reasons and excuses Nigerians have given for not buying EVs .

Ignorance
Whether we choose to believe it or not, in this digital age, some people still don’t know there are cars that can run without fuel. Remember the driverless car video that went viral in Naija here some weeks ago ?, some people taught their village people were driving the car. Emancipate yourselves from ignorance, electric cars do exist. Funny enough, cars that “technically” run on water also exist, just that they are still undergoing a lot of tests and research. But electric cars really do exist and it’s no longer a scarce commodity.

No Power
The enlightened Nigerians, have a default answer they give anytime you mention electric cars “where the light wey I wan take charge am ? ” . The truth is, technology has improved so much that most of these cars charge considerably fast and some of them can last for a range as much as 300km, some of them are hitting the 400km mark already. Just for scale, the approximate distance between Lagos and Benin is 300km.I doubt if an average Nigerian drives such distance every single day, that means a single charge would last you about 2-3 days if not more ! .

An average electric car charges from 0-100% in approximately 5 hours.With the epileptic supply in most places in Naija, some areas get uninterrupted supply, and if yours is so poor you would get at least 2 -5 hours per day !.

No Parts
Seriously ? , have you seen a Lambo’s or Ferrari’s or Porcshe’s or even Rolls Royce parts in Ladipo market ? (I may be wrong, but I doubt it),but we see people drive these cars, so why giving the same excuses for electric cars that need almost no maintenance . Don’t get me wrong, all machines need to be maintained, but because electric cars don’t have combustion engines, and have considerably less moving parts compared to regular fuel cars, they hardly break down and have faults. Abeg, stop giving this excuse.

No Trained Mechanics
Just like the point made above you would most likely not need frequent fixes, so visiting the mechanic all the time is ruled out.

Cost
Nigerians have a default “incantation” these days, “no money, no money” “we are in Buhari season”.But if you stand at a bus stop in a developed area for 30 minutes you would see at least 5 cars that cost 10 Million Naira or more, that’s excluding the cost of fuel everyday and periodic maintenance .The Ford Focus electric 2018 costs approximately 10.5 Million Naira without fuelling everyday.

Dear reader, why haven’t you bought an electric car if you can afford it ?

I personally think electric cars are the way forward in this country, it would cripple the cost of fuel (law of demand and supply), it would have a massive ripple effect on the economy.

What are your thoughts ?

We would like to hear from you .

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/why-are-nigerians-not-buying-electric-cars/

What is the cost of charging an electric car from 0 - 100 in Nigeria
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by moorevic(m): 5:45pm On May 24, 2018
Did you just come to Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Epic And Hilarious Car DIY Fails (photos) / Toyota Venza Vs Toyota Lexus RX 350 (your Advise Needed) / Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.