Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,984 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? (17475 Views)

Why Nigerians Are Buying Electric Car Despite Epileptic Power Supply. / These High End luxury Electric Cars Are Coming To Compete With Tesla (Photos) / 8 Electric Cars That Sells Below N14 Million (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by asawanathegreat(m): 5:52pm On May 24, 2018
We go use generator to charge the car, nonsense question
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:12pm On May 24, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
I think you need to go to YouTube and watch how much a tesla costs to maintain once it's outside warranty. The bills are enough to send you into poverty. cry

Besides that, fires from Li batteries used in electric vehicles can blaze for 5 hours. Imagine that happening on 3rd Mainland Bridge ....
He has not done his homework.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Smartademu(m): 6:17pm On May 24, 2018
Are you using one?

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by tooxide: 6:18pm On May 24, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
I see super cars a lot in Lekki and VI, sometimes Ikeja, and I wonder why people who can afford up to five super cars in their garages with hefty price tags and mind-blowing import duties, have no single electric car in their fleet.
Then I asked myself the question, “why” . Some Electric Vehicles (EVs) are cheaper than some of this super cars, cheaper not just in terms of initial cost of purchase, but also cost of maintenance .

Let’s take a look at some reasons and excuses Nigerians have given for not buying EVs .

Ignorance
Whether we choose to believe it or not, in this digital age, some people still don’t know there are cars that can run without fuel. Remember the driverless car video that went viral in Naija here some weeks ago ?, some people taught their village people were driving the car. Emancipate yourselves from ignorance, electric cars do exist. Funny enough, cars that “technically” run on water also exist, just that they are still undergoing a lot of tests and research. But electric cars really do exist and it’s no longer a scarce commodity.

No Power
The enlightened Nigerians, have a default answer they give anytime you mention electric cars “where the light wey I wan take charge am ? ” . The truth is, technology has improved so much that most of these cars charge considerably fast and some of them can last for a range as much as 300km, some of them are hitting the 400km mark already. Just for scale, the approximate distance between Lagos and Benin is 300km.I doubt if an average Nigerian drives such distance every single day, that means a single charge would last you about 2-3 days if not more ! .

An average electric car charges from 0-100% in approximately 5 hours.With the epileptic supply in most places in Naija, some areas get uninterrupted supply, and if yours is so poor you would get at least 2 -5 hours per day !.

No Parts
Seriously ? , have you seen a Lambo’s or Ferrari’s or Porcshe’s or even Rolls Royce parts in Ladipo market ? (I may be wrong, but I doubt it),but we see people drive these cars, so why giving the same excuses for electric cars that need almost no maintenance . Don’t get me wrong, all machines need to be maintained, but because electric cars don’t have combustion engines, and have considerably less moving parts compared to regular fuel cars, they hardly break down and have faults. Abeg, stop giving this excuse.

No Trained Mechanics
Just like the point made above you would most likely not need frequent fixes, so visiting the mechanic all the time is ruled out.

Cost
Nigerians have a default “incantation” these days, “no money, no money” “we are in Buhari season”.But if you stand at a bus stop in a developed area for 30 minutes you would see at least 5 cars that cost 10 Million Naira or more, that’s excluding the cost of fuel everyday and periodic maintenance .The Ford Focus electric 2018 costs approximately 10.5 Million Naira without fuelling everyday.

Dear reader, why haven’t you bought an electric car if you can afford it ?

I personally think electric cars are the way forward in this country, it would cripple the cost of fuel (law of demand and supply), it would have a massive ripple effect on the economy.

What are your thoughts ?

We would like to hear from you .

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/why-are-nigerians-not-buying-electric-cars/

This is one of the most stupid post I have seen on NairaLand. The EVs you are talking about how many of them are available in Nigeria talkless of Africa. The Tesla vehicles you're even talking about how many Nigerians can order (afford to buy it) it those vehicles are quite expensive the starting price of Tesla's cheapest vehicle which is the model 3 has a starting price of $35000 (₦12,617,500.00) with order reservation of $1000 (₦360500.00) up to $76500 (₦27578250.00) depending on the additional features you want link extra seats, more battery... Besides after ordering it you till have to wait for about 6 - 12 months that's if you're living in America or Europe / Middle East. Not to talk about Africa or Nigeria where you've to wait for more than 18 month. Besides if your are following Elon Musk, Elon admitted that Tesla is not doing with the production of the model 3 which is currently their flagship vehicle. The company is running out of money, they received more than 500000 pre orders when the vehicle was first announced in 2017 and currently Tesla is major car company that manufacture EVs, Lucid Air to me they aren't serious, EVs from other major car manufacture companies in the world won't be arriving till late 2018, 2019 & 2020. Well thank God for EU that will soon ban importation and manufacturing of fossil fuels vehicle by 2020

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by bigt2(m): 6:23pm On May 24, 2018
obaataaokpaewu:
5hours to charge to 100%? That's like taking 5hours in a filing station to full your tank. They should work on the time taken to charge
We need flash charging cars. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by blackfase(m): 6:27pm On May 24, 2018
Op, ur 300km to Benin is incorrect. You didn't add 100km for staying in traffic and downtime to bad roads
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Nobody: 6:28pm On May 24, 2018
I was expecting the dumb OP to post a picture of him with his EV!!!stupid post!!stipid OP!!Stupid MOD!!!Stupid Forum!!!Stupid Country
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by NoMoreTrolling: 6:33pm On May 24, 2018
blackfase:
Op, ur 300km to Benin is incorrect. You didn't add 100km for staying in traffic and downtime to bad roads

electric vehicles are more efficient sef just sitting in traffic bro
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by willibounce1(m): 6:34pm On May 24, 2018
STUPID QUESTION
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by thunderbabs: 6:38pm On May 24, 2018
Ask NEPA.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by vertueptime: 7:39pm On May 24, 2018
Chuvin22:
Lol
Generator nor go fit charge am.

I for buy i pass my Neigbour put am for boot to charge any time.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Forpink2: 7:55pm On May 24, 2018
lool
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Bblessing37: 8:33pm On May 24, 2018
Person no get electricity, e dey talk of to buy electric car? undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Nobody: 8:39pm On May 24, 2018
SolutionMee:
cry

The reason is because we are not vulnerable to the propaganda of the whites

They can't just be dictating for us all the time

We have the money but we will punish them by refusing to buy

They gave us Java phone .. they changed it and we didn't talk

They came up with Symbian .. they changed it and we still maintain our peace

They came with Android and IOS and we were still submissive

They came with Firefox OS and we rejected it

They came with Apple and we ate it

They direct our fate as a human

They impose their will on us

I don't love it that way

I want us to rule over them

Science is every countries right

we aren't inferior
Hahahhahahahahahahahahahahaahaha. cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by kennykg(m): 8:47pm On May 24, 2018
cry
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by kennykg(m): 8:51pm On May 24, 2018
5hours to charge daily to 100% ,when some areas e.g obantoku ,Abeokuta, Ogun state , oyi zone LGA in anambra etc don have light ....
Kilode

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by secondincommand: 9:14pm On May 24, 2018
electric car for this king country wey we dey so ! even if we buy na to use ham dey charge phone. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Daboomb: 9:19pm On May 24, 2018
AutoJoshNG:

Cost
Nigerians have a default “incantation” these days, “no money, no money” “we are in Buhari season”.But if you stand at a bus stop in a developed area for 30 minutes you would see at least 5 cars that cost 10 Million Naira or more, that’s excluding the cost of fuel everyday and periodic maintenance .The Ford Focus electric 2018 costs approximately 10.5 Million Naira without fuelling everyday.

I personally think electric cars are the way forward in this country, it would cripple the cost of fuel (law of demand and supply), it would have a massive ripple effect on the economy.

What are your thoughts ?

By Donald3d

#10Million ?
You want to buy a full elelctric car for #10Million?
or is that not just about $25,000?
You need to go online and browse the cost of a Telsar electric car!

No be only 400km vehicle will you get for $25,000, you will get one that will take you to the moon as well.

Arrant rubbish
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Donald3d(m): 10:18pm On May 24, 2018
Daboomb:

#10Million ?
You want to buy a full elelctric car for #10Million?
or is that not just about $25,000?
You need to go online and browse the cost of a Telsar electric car!

No be only 400km vehicle will you get for $25,000, you will get one that will take you to the moon as well.

Arrant rubbish
I am sure you saw
The Ford Focus electric 2018 costs approximately 10.5 Million Naira

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:06am On May 25, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
I see super cars a lot in Lekki and VI, sometimes Ikeja, and I wonder why people who can afford up to five super cars in their garages with hefty price tags and mind-blowing import duties, have no single electric car in their fleet.
Then I asked myself the question, “why” . Some Electric Vehicles (EVs) are cheaper than some of this super cars, cheaper not just in terms of initial cost of purchase, but also cost of maintenance .

Let’s take a look at some reasons and excuses Nigerians have given for not buying EVs .

Ignorance
Whether we choose to believe it or not, in this digital age, some people still don’t know there are cars that can run without fuel. Remember the driverless car video that went viral in Naija here some weeks ago ?, some people taught their village people were driving the car. Emancipate yourselves from ignorance, electric cars do exist. Funny enough, cars that “technically” run on water also exist, just that they are still undergoing a lot of tests and research. But electric cars really do exist and it’s no longer a scarce commodity.

No Power
The enlightened Nigerians, have a default answer they give anytime you mention electric cars “where the light wey I wan take charge am ? ” . The truth is, technology has improved so much that most of these cars charge considerably fast and some of them can last for a range as much as 300km, some of them are hitting the 400km mark already. Just for scale, the approximate distance between Lagos and Benin is 300km.I doubt if an average Nigerian drives such distance every single day, that means a single charge would last you about 2-3 days if not more ! .

An average electric car charges from 0-100% in approximately 5 hours.With the epileptic supply in most places in Naija, some areas get uninterrupted supply, and if yours is so poor you would get at least 2 -5 hours per day !.

No Parts
Seriously ? , have you seen a Lambo’s or Ferrari’s or Porcshe’s or even Rolls Royce parts in Ladipo market ? (I may be wrong, but I doubt it),but we see people drive these cars, so why giving the same excuses for electric cars that need almost no maintenance . Don’t get me wrong, all machines need to be maintained, but because electric cars don’t have combustion engines, and have considerably less moving parts compared to regular fuel cars, they hardly break down and have faults. Abeg, stop giving this excuse.

No Trained Mechanics
Just like the point made above you would most likely not need frequent fixes, so visiting the mechanic all the time is ruled out.

Cost

What are your thoughts ?

By Donald3d

So you want me to go to Lagos from Benin and have my car break down at third mainland bridge. I'll then be looking for transformer up and down. This guy is not normal.
Did you forget the fact that electric cars can have charger problems too!?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by dujaswags1(m): 12:20am On May 25, 2018
na to buy power bank for the car in case battery off for road.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by newslifeop: 2:32am On May 25, 2018
hmmm
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by VehicleUnit: 3:07am On May 25, 2018
AutoJoshNG:

Ignorance

No Power

No Parts

No Trained Mechanics

Cost

What are your thoughts ?

By Donald3d

it could be simply because Nigerians are used to the "fuel" cars. non-electric.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Taiwo20(m): 4:42am On May 25, 2018
one cannot buy an electric vehicle and stiil keep on buying fuel.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by terzurum(m): 5:13am On May 25, 2018
Uyi168:
Na power bank we wan take charge am?
Dis ppl una go kill person with laugh. This guy talk true thing asper electric car, it is normal 12v charging system. I think the issue is what someone said about maintenance outside warranty which may send one to poverty.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Daboomb: 6:23am On May 25, 2018
Donald3d:

I am sure you saw Ford Focus for $29,500

So you can get 4,000Km out of a single charge in a Ford Focus, right?

I pity you.

With EPA- Est of 98km, You will only end-up on Redeem Bridge, not even Ijebu Ode. grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Nobody: 6:32am On May 25, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Mumu question.
Nigerians haven't seen electricity to charge their phones and powerbanks,

It's now to charge car.

There's no sense in it.
Why buy a car to show say you pass your neighbor when you'd have to rely on "I-pass-my-neighbor" generator to use it?
and when power end on third mainland bridge in Lagos or Zone4 bridge in Abuja, Task Force will then feast on you
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by dadark: 6:39am On May 25, 2018
and were you wan recharge them...??

not even in europe electric cars are used that much....

many still drive petrol cars....
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by dadark: 6:40am On May 25, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Mumu question.
Nigerians haven't seen electricity to charge their phones and powerbanks,

It's now to charge car.

There's no sense in it.
Why buy a car to show say you pass your neighbor when you'd have to rely on "I-pass-my-neighbor" generator to use it?

he wan recharge it with generator...

even then,generators still need fuel...

sooo,whats the point....??

this nigerians abroad sha....

they dont even bother to know the situation at home....
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Donald3d(m): 6:54am On May 25, 2018
Daboomb:

So you can get 4,000Km out of a single charge in a Ford Focus, right?

I pity you.

With EPA- Est of 98km, You will only end-up on Redeem Bridge, not even Ijebu Ode. grin grin
There was no part in that article where the range of a Ford focus was stated, it would be nice if you read the article properly instead of trying to be condescending .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by Uyi168: 9:15am On May 25, 2018
terzurum:

Dis ppl una go kill person with laugh. This guy talk true thing asper electric car, it is normal 12v charging system. I think the issue is what someone said about maintenance outside warranty which may send one to poverty.
..Hmm
Re: Why Are Nigerians Not Buying Electric Cars ? by dinggle: 9:37am On May 25, 2018
These are the issues that will affect electric cars in Nigeria.
1. Mechanic:
We simply don't have the mechanics... take BMW I3 & I8 for example you cant charge the 12V battery when the high voltage (HV) is connected in the car. You need the 12v battery to start the car before HV kicks in. it is so risky that you have to disconnect it from the bonnet, lock it with a tag before you connect 12V battery for charging, that is standard factory operation which car owner or Nigerian mechanic will know to do that?
Besides that, any issue you have to program and delete fault codes...without standard requirement and training for mechanics to work on electric car it is just a no...no!. Only buy when you have money to waste. It is also an opportunity for electrical engineers to get trained and step into their field.

Tesla performs over the air programming...and seem to be more stable. But maintenance is very expensive because of parts and manpower.

2. Roads:
Electric cars can not withstand Nigerian roads unless you live in Abuja or Calabar it is not worth it.

3. Electricity
How will you charge your car without light? Makes no sense.

4. Tokunbo
The last thing anyone in Africa should be thinking of when it come to EV is tokunbo. Tokunbo means EV without life of battery. Nigerians should know better we know what tokunbo transformer does to us every now and then. If you must buy EV, buy a new one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Murano Transmission Problem / Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? / love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.