Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,567 members, 7,812,836 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language (58220 Views)

Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video) / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by 1kinggy(m): 10:15pm On Sep 09, 2018
Paretomaster1:

Ehehehheheheeh pls see ur elders...... Not the elders that told u Hedgehog is Oya...

Yoruba have no name for camel, they only use the Hausa name for it.....

This @Olu317 guy is adamant.
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Nobody: 6:25pm On Sep 23, 2018
godfatherx:
Tiger is not Ekun, there is no Tiger originally from Africa or Yorubaland, hence no need to give name to it

I think Ekun might be leopard while amotekun might actually be the cheetah.

2 Likes

Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Olu317(m): 8:44pm On Sep 24, 2018
sammyfrosh:

I think Ekun might be leopard while amotekun might actually be the cheetah.
Not correct.Ékún is Tiger while Àmótékún is Leopard.

Great work on your path.. Kudos.
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 24, 2018
Olu317:
Not correct.Ékún is Tiger while Àmótékún is Leopard.

Great work on your path.. Kudos.

But there aren't any tiger in Africa but there is a leopard as well as a cheetah, so how do you explain how Ekun= a tiger undecided
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Olu317(m): 9:41pm On Sep 24, 2018
1kinggy:

This @Olu317 guy is adamant.
So Hausa is so super rich to had access to Camel before Yorubas grin ?

1.Do you even know the advent of camel at all ?

2.Do you know what camel was used for during Bc ?

3. Do you even know the name ancient Egyptian called it?

4. Do you even know the name Greek called it?

5. Do you know the name Hebrew called it?

6. Do you know the name Arab called it?

7. Do you know the name Roman called it?

Anyway, once you can find the names for camel for the ancient kingdoms, perhaps, you will realise, camel was a ‘vehicle', in the ancient times and wealthy Noble bought them.

Between Yoruba ancestors and Hausa's, whose civilisation was advanced and acknowledged by western world?

Don't bother yourself to proof a point to me but do the research for self knowledge acquisition.
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 26, 2020
@Op

Leopard is ekun or Ogidan while cheetah is Amotekun or Owawa.

Tiger aren’t native to Africa but Asia so we don’t have a traditional name for it.
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by pinkysegun(m): 11:02pm On Dec 17, 2022
Olu317:
So Hausa is so super rich to had access to Camel before Yorubas grin ?

1.Do you even know the advent of camel at all ?

2.Do you know what camel was used for during Bc ?

3. Do you even know the name ancient Egyptian called it?

4. Do you even know the name Greek called it?

5. Do you know the name Hebrew called it?

6. Do you know the name Arab called it?

7. Do you know the name Roman called it?

Anyway, once you can find the names for camel for the ancient kingdoms, perhaps, you will realise, camel was a ‘vehicle', in the ancient times and wealthy Noble bought them.

Between Yoruba ancestors and Hausa's, whose civilisation was advanced and acknowledged by western world?

Don't bother yourself to proof a point to me but do the research for self knowledge acquisition.
camel is a desert animal the people you mentioned live in desert the north of Nigeria is connected to desert.
The level of ignorance in this thread is frightening i bet you lot still belive nigeria won india by losing 1-99.
Tigers dont exist in africa at all bit leopard looks like tiger amd tiger is commonly spoken about so its easy to see why people ise ekun for tiger, even as a child back in naija my dad and uncle always told me ekun is leopard but people mistake it for tiger. Even some of you don't know the difference.
Ps english has name for all 5his animals cos they conquered the world and borrowed words expecially from latin. French etc. Just as the yoruba word for french is the yorubanisation of the english word French why the yoruba use a yorubised word of french.
Anyways phrase like tiger of africa are always wrong.
You can chose to open your mind and learn or still drown in your ignorance .
Re: Names Of Various Animals In Yoruba Language by Olu317(m): 2:14pm On Dec 19, 2022
pinkysegun:
camel is a desert animal the people you mentioned live in desert the north of Nigeria is connected to desert.
The level of ignorance in this thread is frightening i bet you lot still belive nigeria won india by losing 1-99.
Tigers dont exist in africa at all bit leopard looks like tiger amd tiger is commonly spoken about so its easy to see why people ise ekun for tiger, even as a child back in naija my dad and uncle always told me ekun is leopard but people mistake it for tiger. Even some of you don't know the difference.
Ps english has name for all 5his animals cos they conquered the world and borrowed words expecially from latin. French etc. Just as the yoruba word for french is the yorubanisation of the english word French why the yoruba use a yorubised word of french.
Anyways phrase like tiger of africa are always wrong.
You can chose to open your mind and learn or still drown in your ignorance .
Whatever the reason for your attack on me , simply posits you as non Yoruba. Anyway,what yo read in school is not superior to fact that is not well compiled.

So, enjoy yourself because you think you know and I am not against it. Ride on in your pseudo intellect. grin grin cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) / Ooni Of Ife's Wives As They Prepare To Bury Their Husband (photos) / Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi & His Wives At His Daughter's wedding (Photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.