Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,674 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church (4087 Views)

Anytime I Pick Up My Bible To Read , I Always Feel Sleepy / Pastor Ruth Masuruwa Gives Bible To Emmerson Mnangagwa In Zimbabwe (Photo) / What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by ikorodureporta: 1:22pm On May 27, 2018
AN OPEN LETTER TO THE ARCHBISHOP & ALL CLERGIES CONCERNED...

The Catholic churches, these days don't care about members coming to church with their bibles.

From my observation, whenever they take their day's readings, they don't include the bible verses & chapters, so you having a bible is also useless.

In my area, the bulletin used to be N50/day, but now they've merged it to produce weekly bulletin @ N200/week. For this reason, most people don't buy bulletin anymore.

The last time i attended a night vigil here, the place was poorly lighted such that i couldnt view the bible content.

For the sake of those who just attend Sunday mass, they shld encourage people to join societies that are into Bible Studies. The prices of bulletin should be moderate, & Bible Chapters & Verses shld be read out for those who have their bibles or cannot afford the bulletin.

...From A Concerned Member

lalasticlala
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by tsmat(m): 1:24pm On May 27, 2018
ok
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by Afobear: 1:29pm On May 27, 2018
Last last ,all of una go meet me for hell fire

2 Likes

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 27, 2018
Nice one there.and this is bringing about weakened faith
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by ITbomb(m): 1:36pm On May 27, 2018
Almost everything always started with good intentions

Bulletins is a nice concept to get church information in one neat package for members.
Members bought excitedly

Seeing the boom in sales,
One day, someone decides that money can be generated for the sales of bulletins to support other programs and projects, problem started

My advice, no single profit or extra money should be expected from sales of gospel literature, instead the price should be subsidized with proceeds from offering and partners

1 Like

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by blackpanda: 3:42pm On May 27, 2018
The unfortunate thing about people like op is that u have non catholics who know nothing about the catholic faith and doctrines so quick to criticize, instead to asking for clarifications.

Every church has its own doctrines and traditions and before u sit atop your imaginary high horse to criticize let me first inform u that everything u claim to know about christianity is what the church preserved for u. Without the Catholic church there would be no Christianity. Plain and simple. More so, unlike what my pentecostal brethren like to tout, christianity does not begin and end with the bible. The faith is not what u feel or think, the faith is what it is, regardless of your thoughts and emotions.

That said, every reading in the bulletin is gotten from the bible. And the readings clearly show the book, chapter and verse being read from

Everything in the catholic church is about order, tradition and uniformity. The church has a yearly calendar and the readings are chosen to reflect the time of the year. We have lent, advent, easter, etc. This does not mean that other passages are not referred to during the mass. It is just to ensure uniformity so that if I attend mass in umuahia and my sister attends mass in sokoto, we will basically get almost the same message. That is what catholic stands for I.e its universal

3 Likes

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by ikorodureporta: 3:53pm On May 27, 2018
blackpanda:
The unfortunate thing about people like op is that u have non catholics who know nothing about the catholic faith and doctrines so quick to criticize, instead to asking for clarifications.

Every church has its own doctrines and traditions and before u sit atop your imaginary high horse to criticize let me first inform u that everything u claim to know about christianity is what the church preserved for u. Without the Catholic church there would be no Christianity. Plain and simple. More so, unlike what my pentecostal brethren like to tout, christianity does not begin and end with the bible. The faith is not what u feel or think, the faith is what it is, regardless of your thoughts and emotions.

That said, every reading in the bulletin is gotten from the bible. And the readings clearly show the book, chapter and verse being read from

Everything in the catholic church is about order, tradition and uniformity. The church has a yearly calendar and the readings are chosen to reflect the time of the year. We have lent, advent, easter, etc. This does not mean that other passages are not referred to during the mass. It is just to ensure uniformity so that if I attend mass in umuahia and my sister attends mass in sokoto, we will basically get almost the same message. That is what catholic stands for I.e its universal

u did not get my point.. I said those chapters & verses are not read out during mass & somebody with a bible cannot use it for anything. Bsides, the price of d bulletin which contains those verses/chapters passages isnt encouraging for most people...

1 Like

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by blackpanda: 5:03pm On May 27, 2018
ikorodureporta:

u did not get my point.. I said those chapters & verses are not read out during mass & somebody with a bible cannot use it for anything. Bsides, the price of d bulletin which contains those verses/chapters passages isnt encouraging for most people...

That's quite untrue. All bible passages are boldly written in d bulletin. And d bulletin isn't compulsory. Like I told u, catholic church has a calendar. All d bible passages for every day are already spelt out. Whether or not they even write it in d bulletin, we Catholics already know. And where the priest wishes to refer to any other bible passage he will say so. Ur criticism is unfortunately born of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by ikorodureporta: 6:25pm On May 27, 2018
blackpanda:

That's quite untrue. All bible passages are boldly written in d bulletin. And d bulletin isn't compulsory. Like I told u, catholic church has a calendar. All d bible passages for every day are already spelt out. Whether or not they even write it in d bulletin, we Catholics already know. And where the priest wishes to refer to any other bible passage he will say so. Ur criticism is unfortunately born of ignorance.

u seem to hav issues with understanding. I neva said thoz things are not in d bulletin. Lemme rephrase again..... When they take 1st, 2nd & Gospel reading, they dnt call the Bible chapter & verse eg they jst say ...first reading from the book of Romans. Now, if a have a bible, how wld tou flip to the portion?

Now, the bulletin that contains all the info is N200 & most people dnt bother to buy it anymore. As a result of this, people dnt even open the bible. If you doubt it, carry out a research yourself to see how fast people can locate bible portion...

1 Like

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by blackpanda: 7:17pm On May 27, 2018
ikorodureporta:

u seem to hav issues with understanding. I neva said thoz things are not in d bulletin. Lemme rephrase again..... When they take 1st, 2nd & Gospel reading, they dnt call the Bible chapter & verse eg they jst say ...first reading from the book of Romans. Now, if a have a bible, how wld tou flip to the portion?

Now, the bulletin that contains all the info is N200 & most people dnt bother to buy it anymore. As a result of this, people dnt even open the bible. If you doubt it, carry out a research yourself to see how fast people can locate bible portion...

Either your skull is extremely thick or u just love propagating lies and falsehood. Like I said before, we catholics already know all our readings. They don't need to announce that in church. Why is this so hard for u to assimilate. You are not a catholic so I don't see why u are even here nagging. Nobody begged u to come ehn. And no, bulletin is not N200. Go away and stick to ur Pentecostal or worefa

2 Likes

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by M0ron: 7:24pm On May 27, 2018
Catholicism has always frowned upon biblical literacy

1 Like

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by Ihateyoumod: 7:27pm On May 27, 2018
Guys dem no dey sell bulletin #200 nah y u dey lie....it is #100, cost of production has gone up as most bulletins now r printed using coloured printing. So I dnt know what u r saying.

Firstly there are apps tht carry d yearly readings, u can get tht n download it... Pple n church have it, I collect mine from a lady who was sitting close to me in mass.

There is also d book tht has all d readings for the year, even a calendar....

What is ur problem oga......
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by Ayomivic(m): 7:34pm On May 27, 2018
ikorodureporta:

The Catholic churches, these days don't care about members coming to church with their bibles.

From my observation, whenever they take their day's readings, they don't include the bible verses & chapters, so you having a bible is also useless.

In my area, the bulletin used to be N50/day, but now they've merged it to produce weekly bulletin @ N200/week. For this reason, most people don't buy bulletin anymore.

The last time i attended a night vigil here, the place was poorly lighted such that i couldnt view the bible content.

For the sake of those who just attend Sunday mass, they shld encourage people to join societies that are into Bible Studies. The prices of bulletin should be moderate, & Bible Chapters & Verses shld be read out for those who have their bibles or cannot afford the bulletin.

lalasticlala

Bible is not sunday sunday matter it a spiritual book you need to read on daily baris.. You need it at home than the church.. Its for meditation not to check if pastor is wrong or right not to know who can read well or open it fast .You should be convernsant of every verses of bible whether you are with bible or not .

3 Likes

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by asamaigho(m): 9:22pm On May 27, 2018
blackpanda:

What is this one saying....? ? Are u even a Christian?
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by ikorodureporta: 10:20pm On May 27, 2018
Ihateyoumod:
Guys dem no dey sell bulletin #200 nah y u dey lie....it is #100, cost of production has gone up as most bulletins now r printed using coloured printing. So I dnt know what u r saying.

Firstly there are apps tht carry d yearly readings, u can get tht n download it... Pple n church have it, I collect mine from a lady who was sitting close to me in mass.

blackpanda:

Either your skull is extremely thick or u just love propagating lies and falsehood. Like I said before, we catholics already know all our readings. They don't need to announce that in church. Why is this so hard for u to assimilate. You are not a catholic so I don't see why u are even here nagging. Nobody begged u to come ehn. And no, bulletin is not N200. Go away and stick to ur Pentecostal or worefa

ok, both of u said bulletin isnt N200 here....i wl try & get some pix of those Parishes' bulletin seling @ N200..

I created this thread to bring about changes, bt u'r jst jumping on d issue as if i dnt know wht i'm saying..

The purpose of producing bulletin has been defeated, 'cos they're now producing mini booklets, which most people cannot afford to get the basic info during mass...
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by ikorodureporta: 10:23pm On May 27, 2018
Ihateyoumod:

u'r talking of an app, when they've banned the use/viewing of phone during mass
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by ikorodureporta: 10:34pm On May 27, 2018
Ayomivic:

Bible is not sunday sunday matter it a spiritual book you need to read on daily baris.. You need it at home than the church.. Its for meditation not to check if pastor is wrong or right not to know who can read well or open it fast .You should be convernsant of every verses of bible whether you are with bible or not .

how'r u gonna b conversant when you dnt even know where to open? How many people read the bible after sunday/ away from the church. By yr assumption, do u think we'r all 'matured' christians that know the bible from Gen-Rev? How about the 'infants'? I'm not sayn the mass shld become a Bible quiz session, but the people shld be carried along at least for that moment...

1 Like

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by Anas09: 11:40pm On May 27, 2018
ikorodureporta:

lalasticlala
And you had to bring the matter here? Is this a Catholic Parish?
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by Anas09: 11:47pm On May 27, 2018
blackpanda:

I don't know for how long you'd keep telling yourself this lie that without the Catholic Church the world won't have Christianity.

There was no Catholic Church until the 4the Century AD, yet there was Christianity fully power. Lions were being fed with Christians yet the Church was increasing.

Maybe you meant to say 'without the Catholic Church, Christianity would have been preached in all the earth by now'.

The Catholic Church hindered and is still hindering the move of the Church till tomorrow. Good a thing, no one can cage the Holy Spirit.

2 Likes

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by Anas09: 11:50pm On May 27, 2018
blackpanda:

Meaning the Holy Spirit is already removed from the sermon right? If the Bible passages have already been spelt out long before the service, the Holy Spirit would have no room to have His way in a service.
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by Anas09: 12:07am On May 28, 2018
ikorodureporta:

how'r u gonna b conversant when you dnt even know where to open? How many people read the bible after sunday/ away from the church. By yr assumption, do u think we'r all 'matured' christians that know the bible from Gen-Rev? How about the 'infants'? I'm not sayn the mass shld become a Bible quiz session, but the people shld be carried along at least for that moment...
@ the bolded. What that means is that, when Jesus appears, a lot of you will be depending on your priests or pastors to answer for you.

God is not stupid for making it possible for the Bible to be written in a common language and in diverse translations. The Catholic church wanted the Bible locked and kept away in a dead Latin language which only a few priests would understand and tell us what they want us to hear. but the Lord has made it available to all, none of us has any excuse for not knowing what the Bible says about anything.

Buy a Bible, read it everyday. Go out preach it, win souls and advance God's Kingdom.

Jesus is coming soon and the souls you won will be the rewards you get there. Whatever you get here, including your flesh remains here. If Christ returns while your spirit man is still dead, na you sabi o. We are here shouting it everyday. Jesus no go ask you which church you dey attend o.

1 Like

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by blackbriar: 2:08am On May 28, 2018
Monday readings

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by blackpanda: 6:19am On May 28, 2018
Anas09:

Meaning the Holy Spirit is already removed from the sermon right? If the Bible passages have already been spelt out long before the service, the Holy Spirit would have no room to have His way in a service.

You know nothing about holy spirit. And no, we don't do service we do mass. There arevthings u can never understand, things thatvarevway beyond your comprehension level. So just stay in your own church and we will stay in ours. Its freedom of religion anyways

3 Likes

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by blackpanda: 6:22am On May 28, 2018
ikorodureporta:

ok, both of u said bulletin isnt N200 here....i wl try & get some pix of those Parishes' bulletin seling @ N200..

I created this thread to bring about changes, bt u'r jst jumping on d issue as if i dnt know wht i'm saying..

The purpose of producing bulletin has been defeated, 'cos they're now producing mini booklets, which most people cannot afford to get the basic info during mass...

Why arevu swallowing panadol for someone else headache. You are not a catholic so what is your business pls. Get a life already! We can sell bulletin at 2billion if we like. Why e de pepper u

1 Like

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by blackpanda: 6:23am On May 28, 2018
asamaigho:

What is this one saying....? ? Are u even a Christian?

Yes.
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by MuttleyLaff: 6:56am On May 28, 2018
Anas09:
@ the bolded. What that means is that, when Jesus appears, a lot of you will be depending on your priests or pastors to answer for you.

God is not stupid for making it possible for the Bible to be written in a common language and in diverse translations.
The Catholic church wanted the Bible locked and kept away in a dead Latin language which only a few priests would understand and tell us what they want us to hear. but the Lord has made it available to all, none of us has any excuse for not knowing what the Bible says about anything.

Buy a Bible, read it everyday. Go out preach it, win souls and advance God's Kingdom.

Jesus is coming soon and the souls you won will be the rewards you get there.
Whatever you get here, including your flesh remains here.
If Christ returns while your spirit man is still dead, na you sabi o.
We are here shouting it everyday. Jesus no go ask you which church you dey attend o.
21Not everyone who says to Me,
‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22Many will say to Me on that day,
‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’
23Then I will tell them plainly,
‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness.’

- Matthew 7:21-23

Our comments should be unambiguous about "preach, win souls, rewards" etcetera
as some scriptures like Matthew 7:21-23 above and the one about "The Sheep and the Goats parable"
have shown some preached but instead of winning rewards, got just desserts.

It is obvious there are more one way to skin a cat
and so therefore several ways for being welcomed into the kingdom of heaven
and not just the usual way
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by Ihateyoumod: 6:59am On May 28, 2018
ikorodureporta:

If u r in a parish were they r selling #200 go to another parish were its #100. I use my fone in church for readings and hymns.....not only me others do. Who ban fones n church, d pope, d archbishop or ur parish priest??

2 Likes

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by ikorodureporta: 7:04am On May 28, 2018
Ihateyoumod:

I use my fone in church for readings and hymns.....not only me others do. Who ban fones n church, d pope, d archbishop or ur parish priest??

so, yr Parish did not hear when The Pope made the decree??
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by spartan117(m): 8:22am On May 28, 2018
blackpanda:

Without jesus there will be no Christianity. Without the Catholic Church or any pentecostal church there will still be Christianity.
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by PaChukwudi44(m): 8:39am On May 28, 2018
I am struggling t understand the essense and title of this post!!! How exactly is the catholic church discouraging people from reading the bible with the write up you just made? Even if the price oif bulletin in your parish is N200 how exactly does that amount to the catholic church discouraging people from reading the bible?

How many catholic parishes here in Nigeria sell bulletins above N50? have you made that research before before coming with this nauseating headline? In my own parish St Anthony of Padua parish surulere the bulletin is FREE!!! Yes you heard me FREE!!!.I am yet to see any catholic parish selling bulletins above N100.

btw what is N200 Compared to tithes,seed sowings,first fruits and other Pentecostal scams!!!!.You cannot spend N200 to buy bulletin but you can donate your entire earnings to a Pentecostal scam artist in the name of first fruit.I wish you goodluck.

BTW what is the name of your parish? we have to even verify this information before proceeding further

2 Likes

Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by Ihateyoumod: 8:43am On May 28, 2018
ikorodureporta:

so, yr Parish did not hear when The Pope made the decree??

Where did the pope make tht decree....okay as I dey use my fone for church for my readings n hymn.....make pope come arrest me.....pls u dnt have a point. Pple have given u how u will get d readings, what is ur problem.

Ur thread was bout readings and I have told u to get d application, if u have d application, u know d readings, even if dey ban fone in church, u can know d readings from ur app, get d readings from der on sat n take ur Bible to church...simple

U just want to bash and argue, now u c u 've no point
Re: How The Catholic Church Discourages People From Taking Bible To Church by PaChukwudi44(m): 8:46am On May 28, 2018
FYI OP you dnt even need to buy bulletin to know the daily readings.Everything is already online.All you need is to use the google search to get the daily mass readings.The data you used in typing this poo could have been used in reading the daily ass readings online.

Mass Readings For May 28, 2018

Monday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time

May 28, 2018 The Best Catholic Daily Mass Readings

First Reading – 1 Peter 1:3-9

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who in his great mercy gave us a new birth to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading,
kept in heaven for you
who by the power of God are safeguarded through faith,
to a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the final time.
In this you rejoice, although now for a little while
you may have to suffer through various trials,
so that the genuineness of your faith,
more precious than gold that is perishable even though tested by fire,
may prove to be for praise, glory, and honor
at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Although you have not seen him you love him;
even though you do not see him now yet you believe in him,
you rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy,
as you attain the goal of faith, the salvation of your souls.

Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 111:1-2, 5-6, 9 and 10C

R. (5) The Lord will remember his covenant for ever.
or:
R. Alleluia.
I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart
in the company and assembly of the just.
Great are the works of the LORD,
exquisite in all their delights.
R. The Lord will remember his covenant for ever.
or:
R. Alleluia.
He has given food to those who fear him;
he will forever be mindful of his covenant.
He has made known to his people the power of his works,
giving them the inheritance of the nations.
or:
R. Alleluia.
He has sent deliverance to his people;
he has ratified his covenant forever;
holy and awesome is his name.
His praise endures forever.
or:
R. Alleluia.

Alleluia – 2 Corinthians 8:9

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Jesus Christ became poor although he was rich,
so that by his poverty you might become rich.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel – Mark 10:17-27

As Jesus was setting out on a journey, a man ran up,
knelt down before him, and asked him,
“Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
Jesus answered him, “Why do you call me good?
No one is good but God alone.
You know the commandments: You shall not kill;
you shall not commit adultery;
you shall not steal;
you shall not bear false witness;
you shall not defraud;
honor your father and your mother.”
He replied and said to him,
“Teacher, all of these I have observed from my youth.”
Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said to him,
“You are lacking in one thing.
Go, sell what you have, and give to the poor
and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.”
At that statement, his face fell,
and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

Jesus looked around and said to his disciples,
“How hard it is for those who have wealth
to enter the Kingdom of God!”
The disciples were amazed at his words.
So Jesus again said to them in reply,
“Children, how hard it is to enter the Kingdom of God!
It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle
than for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of God.”
They were exceedingly astonished and said among themselves,
“Then who can be saved?”
Jesus looked at them and said,
“For men it is impossible, but not for God
All things are possible for God.”

http://www.thebestcatholic.com/2018/05/28/mass-readings-for-may-28-2018/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

You Feel Someone Is Pressing You Down When You Sleep? This Is What Happens / Do Not Waste Time On Unholy People / Were Is The Church Of Satan Located In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.