Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came (2938 Views)

Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? / NAFDAC Issues Alert On The Presence Of Contaminated Nestle Maggi Noodles / Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by SLIGHT(m): 7:49am On May 28, 2010
I was just wondering what was used to make food taste (apart from salt of course) before the advent of maggi and other western spices.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by yme1(f): 7:03pm On May 31, 2010
ajina motto(not really sure of the spelling) of course cheesy
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Nobody: 4:32am On Jun 01, 2010
ROTFLMAO@ Mamas over 35
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by agoro2u: 9:51am On Jun 01, 2010
It is called ''iru'' in yoruba
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by Biabeke(f): 6:54pm On Jun 01, 2010
Slight, I am almost 32 this month. I hope this qualifies me. Ground dried crayfish does a wonderful trick in creating a phenomenal taste. In case, you are worried about seafood allergies, meat or fish stocks are also good. My father hated Maggi cubes in food. May his soul rest in peace. cry
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by ajalio(f): 10:28pm On Jun 08, 2010
Well, I hate these Maggi cubes, too. I have never used them nor will use them in my food.
There is something in it what makes people used to and every food has the same ground taste.
Am (over 40) still from "old school", means cooking without Maggi, Knorr and Co. Have learnt cooking
from my late grand mother. May her soul rest in peace.
Yeah, I was really surprised that you will hardly find someone cooking without Maggi, in Nigeria. Especially,
because you have so wonderful fresh herbs and reasons here, that actually Maggi is not needed.
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by otilowaju(f): 5:08pm On Jun 17, 2010
Iru and ogiri were used in place of maggi in those days. People who crave for natural taste still do till now. If you don't like seeing them in your soup you can grind/blend them to paste and you'll still have your wonderful taste and tantalizing aroma. Lots of onion ground with your peppr or sliced in your soup/stew also bring out nice taste.

In addition, out mothers/grandmas cooked in clay pots and I tell you food cooked in these earthen items tastes natural and better than those cooked in modern cooking pots (though that's what I use too). I also use magi, but sparingly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by freshera: 4:31pm On Jun 18, 2010
otilowaju:

In addition, out mothers/grandmas cooked in clay pots and I[b] tell you food cooked in these earthen items tastes natural and better than those cooked in modern cooking pots (though that's what I use too)[/b]. I also use magi, but sparingly.

How won't it taste better when we are clay (dust) as well. The same reason why meat is sweeter than fish or vegetables cos we are "higher animals".  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Just kidding grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by TaniCarr(f): 6:21pm On Jun 20, 2010
Isn't maggi just herbs and spices put together?
Re: Mamas Over 35 What Was Used To Make Food Taste Before Maggi Came by ajalio(f): 7:14pm On Jun 20, 2010
90% of the content materials are produced artificially. Taste amplifier, glutamate, yeast extract and a lot of fat. Practically nothing is real in the cube.

Yeast and fat make thick!
Cooking with fresh herbs and spices is better always. If one needs broth or vegetable stock for a food, one should cook it themselves.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do You Refuse To Eat The Top Of Slice Bread? / Lets Talk Foreign Recipes / I Want Lunch Pack Ideas For Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.